General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 12:17 AM   #46  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

hmmmm, I haven't noticed that Suzanne. Now that you mention it I will pay closer attention though.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:20 AM   #47  
WW Moderator

My symptoms were a little rougher than Suzanne's but I have problems with anxiety and I also have a fear of anxiety so feeling that weird feeling probably pushed me into a 'real' panic attack. It's also wiping my appetite out. I drink one and then I feel gaggy for a while.

Does anybody know of a shake that is similar? I miss my old smoothies! Maybe that is one of the gaggy side effects of this. The stuff has the consistency of pancake batter. I'm not using ice in them, just whipping them up with water and a handheld blender.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:37 AM   #48  
Chick

Jennifer, there are lots of shake recipes circulating out there. Here are a few. Here is how I do my myoplex lite, I have a blender that will crush ice so first I put 6 to 8 ice cubes and blend until it is slivers of ice. While I am doing that I put my water in a glass w/ a few more ice cubes to cool it down. I pour the water and the xtra cubes in the blender along w/ the myoplex and 1 T UDOs oil. Blend until all the ice is crushed. Then, if I can wait that long I put it in the freezer for 5 or 10 mintues, it is very slushy. I didn't like the shakes too much before I started adding all the ice.

I have read that a lot of people like Grow Protein Powder to make shakes but I have never tried it. I use MetRx protein powder to add to oatmeal and some recipes and I have made shakes using it as well. I do have side effects from it so I have to limit the amount. It makes me bloat and belch - more than you wanted to know.

Jodie's Berrie-Yummy Smoothie:
(Great for breakfast or an "in between" major meals)

1 cup cottage cheese
4oz skim OR soy milk
1/2 cup fresh/frozen strawberries
1/2 cup non-fat Blueberry yogurt (Yoplait)
1/2 cup non-fat Vanilla Yogurt (Yoplait)
1/2 Banana
2 ice cubes

Throw all ingredients into blender! Serve and Enjoy! You'll love it!

Makes about 2 8oz cups (but don't drink them both, don't be afraid to SHARE!! Heehee):
Cals: 400
Protein: 31 grams
Carbs: 45 grams
Fat: (trace)

3/4 cup lf cottage cheese
1/4 cup of lf yogurt
1/2 cup mixed frozen berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries - or those you have on hand, but don't skip on the blues)
2 tsp. flax seed
1/3 cup chrystal lite (your preference - I like cranberry)

(Add Ice if you are using fresh berries)

Blend, pour, drink - yum.

Strawberry Smoothie

1, 8-ounce carton plain nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup skim milk
3 packets Equal®or 1 teaspoon Equal® for Recipes or 2 tablespoons Equal® Spoonful™
3 cups frozen strawberries
1 cup ice cubes

In a blender container, combine yogurt, milk and Equal®. With the blender running, add berries a few at a time through opening in the lid. Blend until smooth, then add ice cubes one at a time, blending until slushy. Pour into glasses. Makes 4 servings.

Nutrition information per serving (6-ounce):
82 cal., 4 g pro., 17 g carbo., 0 g fat, 1 mg chol., 58 mg sodium
Old 04-13-2004, 09:11 AM   #49  
WW Moderator

Thanks for the recipes! I'm going to try and find a powder this week that is similar in protein and calories that the Myo Lite has.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:08 AM   #50  
Chick

Red face

Good morning, A quick check in on how the diet is going. Good, I think. This EFL strawberry cheesecake I made is a revelation. Still half of it left, I had a piece for breakfast this a.m. I think it works better at that meal. I always did like a sweet with coffee for breakfast, also seemed to fill me up better than in the evening. It seems like the last meal of the day I need somethiing that really satisfies and sticks with me more than I do at that first meal. Also, an 1/8th of a 9" pie is such a smaller piece than I'm used to. This morning as I sat looking at it on my plate it was a bit of a revelation in that it is a normal size serving, and it really is ok. I don't have to have a double serving, I can do this. So much for my soliloquy of the cheesecake.

Did legs this morning.

Last edited by ledom; 04-14-2004 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:32 PM   #51  
Empress/Queen

Talking

Yo! Just lurking from ice cream land (I decided to put it back in my diet!!)!!! Re Myoplex, Jennifer, IMO you should definetely not drink any shake if you get that "weird" feeling, especially since you've mentioned you're sensitive to sugar, I think. I dunno, but IMO, EAS supplements are not as trustworthy as when Bill Phillips had the company (sorry, not meaning to bash any business ... I've just noticed the formulas have been changed and they don't seem as reliable as they once did, but I could be mistaken)! That said, I personally drink tons (too many) of their AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes ... it's a lower price, mass marketed version of their Myoplex Carb Sense (if this sounds complicated, it is), which has a bit more protein, costs more and is a bit creamier (but I don't like the taste as well). They also have these in powder form. I am not an Atkinsy-type person, so I only use these shakes as a protein and eat carbs along with them. Again, I drink too many and my protein intake is too high (working on it), but they maybe could serve as Myoplex in your eating plan if you wanted Myoplex.

There are tons of good protein drinks, powders and bars out there ... would just a simple, cheap soy or whey powder with no sugar fit the bill?

I also like Designer Whey products a lot ... I think they have low carb varieties now but I just keep the vanilla praline powder on hand ... it makes a quick shake with water or can be mixed with food. It's expensive and has sugar.

I like all-fruit smoothies (a serving of frozen fruit, maybe Splenda, and water, blended with hand blender) or fruit and cottage cheese smoothies. I also love frozen peaches, Splenda, skim milk powder and maybe some vanilla extract. Tastes like peach ice cream.

I make these in very small amounts just for myself ... I use frozen fruit because you can just keep it on hand and also I don't need ice cubes. Very simple.

You can make a smoothie with frozen vegetables as well ... either with or without a protein ... cottage cheese works well in this.

If you're using yogurt and don't want to add any other dairy or soy, you can now (courtesy of the low carb craze) get low carb yogurt ... IMO, you can count that as a protein in the BFL plan, since the protein count is higher than the carb.

Anyway, I've rambled enough for a lurker, so ...

Old 04-14-2004, 11:11 PM   #52  
WW Moderator

Thanks for the ideas! I need to take my empty Myoplex Lite package and head to the health food store and start comparing labels. I've been to both of my health food stores in town and neither carry EAS. That sort of worried me, since they both have a huge selection of powders and bars. I should ask them why, and see if they have an alternative.

I did well on eating today. I finally got to lift weights! Had to do them on my coffee table But soon I hope to borrow my nephews table, at least until I get one for myself. SO MUCH going on in my life right now. Hopefully I'll have time to get more organized. I'm doing this by the seat of my pants, and I don't want to screw up. So far so good!
Old 04-14-2004, 11:32 PM   #53  
Chick

Hey Jennifer, by the seat of the pants is how I felt when I started too. Getting all the components in place can take a while but I think it's great that you aren't waiting until everything is perfect. You know, you don't even have to do shakes, they can be a convenience but they aren't essential. I am trying new things this go around and I think it is good for me to do that. It is very easy for me to find a few favorites and eat them day in and day out just because it is easier. The theory is that it is probably better not do that, to have a variety that offers a wider selection of nutrients to keep you healthy. Tonight for my last meal I had two pieces of string cheese and an apple per one of the EFL snack suggestions, that was pretty convenient.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:08 AM   #54  
it's always something

So the formula of the Myoplex shakes has changed since Bill Philips left? I've been wondering why he would product products that contain unproven and useless supplements. Of course I have no idea how long the products have contained them, so I don't know whether to let him off the hook or not I didn't use the Myoplex at all the last two days and felt normal. I had one for breakfast earlier this morning, and that weird feeling is back. I may be old fashioned, because I prefer to feel normal and natural. I may be paranoid, but I have to wonder what it's doing to me, if it makes my blood rush and my body tingle, etc, what is it doing to my heart, or any other part of my body?

Amarantha, I've not tried cottage cheese in a smoothie, but that sounds good! I've got frozen strawberries, and will whip something up later
Old 04-15-2004, 01:13 PM   #55  
Ilene the Bean

One of my favorites shakes is: 1/2c cottage cheese, frozen strawberries, 1 scoop vanilla whey protein, Udo's oil, a bit of milk, ground flax.... use my hand blender and voila a shake that is delicious!...
Old 04-16-2004, 10:49 PM   #56  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Suzanne, I haven't really done any in-depth analysis of all the formulas before and after Bill (wanted to clarify). I've just observed (and been told by EAS service reps) that some have changed. I still think it's a good company but I liked it better with Bill!

Lanaii: I've heard about the Udo's Oil and seen it in the health food department. I'm going to get some and try it in my shakes ... do you toast your flaxseeds or anything? I know you have to grind them but wonder if they'd be toasted, too. Your shake recipe looks good!

Somebody on this thread (or maybe another one) mentioned Luna bars and that popped into my head a few days ago and I got some of the new flavors ... these really are a better choice (IMO) than the Myoplex Lites that I'm so fond of (although the flavor is not as pleasing to me, but they are good). I'm not looking at the label right now but the primary sweeting agent, if I recall correctly, is brown rice syrup. I believe (though am not an expert on the subject) that this is a complex carb and not a simple sugar (like sucrose or fructose), so I just feel happier with these bars.

I'm not eating well this week but at least I just threw away the rest of the ice cream!!!

Sugar and poor nutrition are really getting in my way and starting to irritate me and these s will not win!!!!

Jennifer, congrats on getting organized with the weights! Maybe you could sign up for a trial gym membership if there's one near you and get a few free sessions with a trainer to get the form down, etc. ... it really is important to lift correctly.

But likely you know that ... sorry, I'm wont to give unsolicited advice. Bad habit!

I absolutely LOVE what weights (and all exercise, but especially weights) have done for my body and my life. I've never been so strong before!

That said, I'm going to bed! Later ...
Old 04-16-2004, 10:53 PM   #57  
Empress/Queen

Ledom, I just love apples and string cheese! Makes a great traveling snack, too! I just put a few in a cooler for tomorrow as I'm working a festival all day and don't want to be tempted by any demonic foods!! Also convenience stores always have apples and string cheese, so there's never an excuse to stop and buy a candy bar (although I do)!
Old 04-17-2004, 03:37 PM   #58  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hello everyone! Hope your Challenges are going well! I'm still catching my breath after my trip home to Michigan for Easter - it takes so long to get everything caught back up!

Wanted to comment on the Myo Lite shake thing - I've never had any odd feelings after drinking it - are you gals still having that, or have you stopped drinking them? I'd suggest calling EAS and asking about it - they are pretty good about helping out with questions.

I'm still doing well - had a bit out-of-control Easter Sunday, but then got right back on track. My weight is actually still up a few pounds , but at the same time, my pants feel looser this week! Go figure! I guess that once again, I need to remind myself to keep off of that darned scale - it really doesn't mean anything!

I had a doozy of a free meal last night - Mexican, and although my meal itself was ok, I overdid it on tortilla chips and margaritas! Then topped it all off with a scoop of ice cream! Think I've had enough "freeness" for this week, so nothing more for the weekend.

Ledom - I think I'll try making those Greek Pinwheels - they sound yummy. I'm going to look up the nutritional value just to be sure that 1/2 the recipe will give me enough protein, as I'm trying to do 30-40 grams per meal.

Wanted to share a tip with you - one of my not-so-great standard meals, which I have once or twice a week. It's Easy Mac with a can of tuna added! Like I said, not a fabulous choice, but quick and easy, and I always have on hand, and it often keeps me out of trouble. I try to increase my water on the days I eat it, due to the high sodium, and I usually cut back one of my other meals, due to it's high calories - about 400 total.

It's beautiful here today, so I think I'll go take a walk!
Cindy
Old 04-17-2004, 03:40 PM   #59  
Lovin' Zumba!

Me again - I just checked, and 1/2 the Greek Pinwheel recipe only has 20 grams of protein. So, I think I'll double the turkey to boost it a bit for myself!
Old 04-17-2004, 06:36 PM   #60  
Chick

Amaranth - is this the page you were talking about?

http://skwigg.tripod.com/wow/id49.html

Anything skwig recommends I will certainly consider.

Cindy, should be no problem to add extra turkey to the pinwheels. I actually made 8 this week and have been having one most days. I like them and they are so easy to grab when I leave for work in the mornings.

This question is for my friend Alice who is considering EFL but doesn't want to do the weights, rather she walks every day. Does Bill Phillips address this anywhere, what results you can expect if you don't lift weights?
Closed Thread