General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:15 PM   #31  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pang View Post
I fear something may have occurred to our host. Just a concern that there had been a sudden stoppage of postings from Lillian.
I joined the site after she stopped. So I have no idea if there is or is not a problem.
Gosh, I hope so too. I didn't really think much about the fact that she hadn't posted in this thread lately, because she sometimes comes and goes, but when you said she hadn't posted at all I went and saw that her last post was 12/8, and that's very unusual for her. I hope she is okay.

Quote:
I won't commit to 23/1. Is same as OMAD.
When WWW was young I found an article relating to 23/1 only issue was bone marrow from protein restrictions. Other studies were conducted to find which window meals could be go without long term issues .
19.5/4.5 had no health issues of measurable consequences. I believe it was a German study in the early 40s and may be why I can't reference to it anymore.
Well there's your answer....if the study was done in the early 40's that's pretty old. You might want to google Dr. Jason Fung and read up on his research and his work with fasting patients (some a lot longer than 24 hours).

There's one extreme case from the 1970's where a 27 year old from Scotland fasted for 382 days (under medical supervision, of course). He was morbidly obese (456 lbs) and went down to 180 lbs, with apparently no ill effects. Best of all, he maintained the weight loss.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/

We all have to do what works best for us. Everyone is different. I have had more luck sticking with OMAD than I have any other WOE (way of eating). Many, many people have done it with great success.

Good luck going forward with whatever you choose to do.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:41 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 255/229/155

Height: 5'9

The study was done on war prisoners. Was unethical. Something about food rations for troops, but they were basically starved. France had a similar study where where starving soldiers were served a plate of fatty meat , after fasting for weeks only small portions once everyday the were dropping dead after the meal.

Agree that there has been many revelations since.I have read Dr Fung, and have much respect for his work and books.

My current understanding is it's an uptake issue. Where if boosting with calcium supplements can in some cause deposits in in the arteries. So it has be more than 23/1 or the body will keep taking it from the marrow...
I do go much longer and strive for 33hr fasts , but the next day I'll eat more than once to get nutritional uptake before starting another fast. Is why I settled on 4:3 semi intermittent fasting . I get 600 cals. On the fasting day but , I split into two 300 meals that are geared for nutritional uptake. Youre right about finding what works per the I individual.

Please keep me informed. Because OMAD would fit me better in weight loss phase.

I'm going to try and find those studies again. Always read up diet difference between armies. It's an interest of mine.

Can't find the one I'm referencing. But basically it's where the line was , so it's a disturbing read. The more current research references protein restriction , extensive research in regards to pregnancy. I'm going to stick with no less than two natural nutrition uptake a day. Albeit two 300 calories meals are not much.

Last edited by Pang; 01-16-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #33  

Quote:
The study was done on war prisoners. Was unethical. Something about food rations for troops, but they were basically starved.
At first I thought you were referring to the Ancel Keys study, but then I realized you weren't, as you said it was done on war prisoners. The participants in the Ancel Keys study were volunteers, and it took place at the University of Minnesota. But the time frame is about the same (1944-1945).

I'd be interested in hearing more about it, if you can find the literature.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 194/158/130

Height: 5' 3"

I am also doing OMAD with LCHF
BrendaGaudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #35  

Hi Brenda!

Seems that this thread runs hot and cold .... I see that you had also posted in the OMAD thread that I started awhile back. It ended up having all types of IF people, so this one seems to be more popular, although right now it doesn't have a lot of activity.

I have found OMAD to be extremely effective, particularly when combined with LCHF. But even if one chooses to not limit carbs, it still is an excellent way to lose weight, provided you don't just eat junk food during your OMAD.

As I stated elsewhere, I don't weigh myself so I don't know how much I have lost. I only go by how I feel and how my clothes fit. The only time I see my weight is when I go to the doctor.

Welcome to the group!
Old 01-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #36  

Hi Brenda and Southern Maven

I'm still on 4:3. This makes my fourth restart in four years.
Now I understand your nutrition plan SM .
I think if your omad was junkfood I would keep nudging at you, but since your carefully choosing trickle foods I can understand the appeal. Appetite control?

I know for me on my semi fast days . I only get 600 calories in 36 hours.when I eat 300 my appetite awakens and can start with an unplanned nibble and go to a full on binge.
Easy to understand which is healthier.

But since your omad is consecutive it imperative that it health food. Nutrition dense foods. I'm not qualified to give a thumbs up or down. Just as long as osteoporosis nutrition from natural sources has a uptake.

My reading went Into nutrition uptake. I'm not talking about omad or IF . I was reading that some nutrients block absorption of other nutrients. Like zinc being blocked by vitamin c . And there are other examples. So I'll keep reading . I'm sure there may be ways to work around uptake negations. I'm 100% on board with low glycemic carbs.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #37  

Quote:
Hi Brenda and Southern Maven

I think if your omad was junkfood I would keep nudging at you, but since your carefully choosing trickle foods I can understand the appeal. Appetite control?
Appetite control is one of the many benefits of OMAD. Once you get in the habit of it, it is quite easy to do. If you keep the carbs low and the (good) fats high, it makes it even easier. But even on a moderate low carb diet (under 100 grams) OMAD is quite manageable.

I am fortunate in that I absolutely LOVE black coffee. I drink it all morning and all afternoon. I would have to force myself to drink water were I trying to get down the ridiculous 64 oz a day or whatever it is you always see recommended, but honestly, my belief is that you should drink water when you are thirsty. Our bodies are marvelous things, and as long as we listen to them, they will tell us how to nourish ourselves.

Another reason I really like OMAD is that I don't like to have to prepare food any more than necessary. The less I have to fool with it, the less I think about it.

Yet another benefit is that if you want to go out with friends and have a social dinner, you don't have to worry about "saving up" calories and all that other nonsense. Even if you're keeping your carbs low, it's usually very easy to find something to eat in most restaurants. I hate Italian food so I never eat at an Italian restaurant. People say to me "but EVERYBODY likes Italian food!" Uh, not me. Pretty much hate all pasta.

And then we get into the many benefits of fasting at keeping your insulin levels low. As someone who has an A1C that has been creeping up, I was thrilled to read Dr. Fung's work. He recommends many different types of fasting, including 4:3, 5:2, OMAD and even extended fasting (not something I'm prepared to try at this point). Pretty much any type of fasting regimen is beneficial and nowhere near as harmful as many of the so-called "diet gurus" want you to believe.

Quote:
I was reading that some nutrients block absorption of other nutrients. Like zinc being blocked by vitamin c . And there are other examples. So I'll keep reading . I'm sure there may be ways to work around uptake negations. I'm 100% on board with low glycemic carbs.

To each his own. I'm really not into all the various data regarding nutrition. I'm 65 years old, and I know what foods are good for me and what isn't. I'm just someone who has gained weight after menopause and now it's becoming a health issue and I just need to get rid of it. I have not struggled with weight all my life - I was thin to normal weight up until menopause - and I don't have an eating disorder. I just ate too much and moved too little, period. OMAD seems to be getting the job done for me.

In other words, I subscribe to the KISS method of dieting. :-)

Last edited by SouthernMaven; 01-21-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #38  

I wish I could kiss my belly good bye.

My problem has been not really understanding what is healthy and unhealthy. I think the best place to start is any diet that is low carbs high fiber. As long as the fiber doesn't damage the tissues of the intestines. So granola OUT O U T OUT. It can cause fecal matter to come in contact with blood if the fiber is causing damage. OK big scary stuff. I'm sorry. The simple is. Stay hydrated on high fiber diet. Things like apple , tomato ,and carrot skins. Thing like avocado ate good fiber. Because some of it is indigestable. So it pushes through.but also as it scrapes the walls as it passes the tissues are exposed to the nutrients . However. You can tweak this with synergy foods.
Look up synergy foods in my opinion if you're in a mood to read about nutrition uptake. Mixing both avocado and tomato in a salad is very very healthy .
I'm 242. Only 1 lb this week. That's about right. I'm happy with 1 lb starting week 6. If I lose too much I can't extend the lifestyle. As long as I'm walking 70 miles week I don't think matters as much how much belly fat I have. I'm 48 so and started walking at age 43 after a car accident.

Well I'm on another daily check In thread . But since I'm a faster I'll post my weigh in here.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #39  

I just started this WOE after trying out a 20/4 for 2 days in a row and feeling great. I got away from it thinking it was probably not healthy. I guess we should learn to trust our own bodies more often.
So I stopped eating last night at 6 after having one meal. It's 11:30 and I feel great. 2 cups of coffee black with a drop of stevia (knew the coffee was going to be hard, I'm a sugar and cream gal). Drinking my mason glass 24 oz of water, though I'll probably have 3 to 4 of those before the day is over.

Like Maven had stated, I too feel like the scale is half the reason I give up on my own weight loss. I don't see the results, I get discouraged, I throw in the towel; rinse and repeat. I'm mainly know I'm in the 180's and I'd like to be in the 130's. So a size 12ish/14is pants and I want to be a size 8. For me the journey is more about the benefits of fasting. Trying to avoid my family history of heart disease, diabetes, and just general lack of care.

I don't see a lot of action on fasting these days on the boards. I spent all last night catching up on the eat stop eat thread and this one this morning. I'm actually pursing eat stop eat M, T, W and doing a 18 hr fast the rest of the time. Hoping to find other like minded people who are also pursing this WOE.
Nelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #40  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelena View Post
I just started this WOE after trying out a 20/4 for 2 days in a row and feeling great. I got away from it thinking it was probably not healthy. I guess we should learn to trust our own bodies more often.
So I stopped eating last night at 6 after having one meal. It's 11:30 and I feel great. 2 cups of coffee black with a drop of stevia (knew the coffee was going to be hard, I'm a sugar and cream gal). Drinking my mason glass 24 oz of water, though I'll probably have 3 to 4 of those before the day is over.

Like Maven had stated, I too feel like the scale is half the reason I give up on my own weight loss. I don't see the results, I get discouraged, I throw in the towel; rinse and repeat. I'm mainly know I'm in the 180's and I'd like to be in the 130's. So a size 12ish/14is pants and I want to be a size 8. For me the journey is more about the benefits of fasting. Trying to avoid my family history of heart disease, diabetes, and just general lack of care.

I don't see a lot of action on fasting these days on the boards. I spent all last night catching up on the eat stop eat thread and this one this morning. I'm actually pursing eat stop eat M, T, W and doing a 18 hr fast the rest of the time. Hoping to find other like minded people who are also pursing this WOE.
Hi Nelena!

The OMAD thread (right below this one as of right now) has been much more active. And not everyone posting there is doing OMAD - all types of IF'ers are welcome there. Here's a link to the last page of the thread:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...elcome-23.html

You may find the link I posted there this morning about IF interesting.

I am into my third 48-hour fast as of right now...I may try to stretch it to 72 hours. Just depends on how I feel. Right now I feel great!
Old 04-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #41  
Big Fan of Keto and IF

S/C/G: 333/253/166

Height: 5'7"

Default IF lifestyle

Hello Nelena and SouthernMaven,
I have been following IF for about a year now, ever since I became of Dr Fung and Dr Naiman. I was pre-diabetic; LCHF and IF have improved my insulin resistance and lowered my glucose.
I do OMAD most days, others it is 18/6 or so. I love this WOE for its simplicity and is so flexible.
Before IF I have been eating LCHF for many years, probably 10, and lost 80 pounds and have kept them off. I am losing again slowly but steadily and feel so much better than I did when eating junk all the time.
Hope this thread perks up some. I love hearing and sharing with others who follow this lifestyle.
Jan313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:48 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi all, hoping this thread picks up again. I have been doing an Intuitive Eating for 3.5 years and am no longer suffering with binge-eating. It took a while but I'm good now. Feeling healthy, my blood work is great, exercising daily and have become a weight lifter these past 6 months. I did not gain any weight on IE but I also didn't lose any. Through IE I found out that eating small meals throughout the day made me binge because I was constantly constantly always thinking about food all the time. I settled on eating larger meals further apart and that naturally led me to IF. I have been doing IF "unofficially" for a long time now and I thought I should pursue it a little more deliberately. I don't always skip breakfast but many days I do or have a very very light breakfast. So now I'm following a 7 or 8 window of eating and try to push breakfast as much as possible.

One of the problems I've run into is that I don't quite have enough energy for my heavy lift days. I find I do better when I have a yogurt before my workout. And of course once in a while my family likes to meet for brunch on Sunday. No way I'm skipping that lol. So I'm flexible about it but I'm wondering on the days that I do have to eat breakfast can I move my eating window to the early part of the day and eat like 8am-4pm? From what I read it seems like it's the morning fasting that ups your levels of HGH but I could be wrong.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Palestrina! I'm so happy to hear that you are no longer struggling with binge eating. That is a great accomplishment and it sound like you are feeling much better.

I don't think it matters when you start/stop your eating window with IF. I think the reason a lot of people like to have it extend later in the day is because that's when they prefer to eat. Your eating window should be what feels most comfortable for you, and can be adjusted for special occasions, like brunch with your family.

I don't know a lot about HGH, but from what I've read, lower insulin levels increases HGH production. Fasting causes insulin levels to drop, along with lower carb consumption. Also, HGH production is higher during the night while you're sleeping, so it's best not to eat too close to bedtime. That makes an earlier eating window perfect. Interval training helps, too, where you have a 30 second burst of high intensity 4-5 times during a work out.

Hopefully your post will bring more interest to this thread and some other will have some good information.

Good luck to you!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:12 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Hi Palestrina! I'm so happy to hear that you are no longer struggling with binge eating. That is a great accomplishment and it sound like you are feeling much better.

I don't think it matters when you start/stop your eating window with IF. I think the reason a lot of people like to have it extend later in the day is because that's when they prefer to eat. Your eating window should be what feels most comfortable for you, and can be adjusted for special occasions, like brunch with your family.

I don't know a lot about HGH, but from what I've read, lower insulin levels increases HGH production. Fasting causes insulin levels to drop, along with lower carb consumption. Also, HGH production is higher during the night while you're sleeping, so it's best not to eat too close to bedtime. That makes an earlier eating window perfect. Interval training helps, too, where you have a 30 second burst of high intensity 4-5 times during a work out.

Hopefully your post will bring more interest to this thread and some other will have some good information.

Good luck to you!
Thanks. I've been really focusing on getting fit over the last year and have been weight lifting for 6 months. I look at my lifestyle and I see so much difference with IE. I no longer binge, I don't drink sodas, I don't eat a lot of sugar, I eat minimal processed food, I am careful about carbs, I don't eat when I'm not hungry, I don't snack much if at all, I don't usually munch late at night, and I exercise daily. But strangely enough eventhough I've picked up all these healthy habits and cut out unhealthy habits I haven't lost weight. It makes me think that the only way one can lose weight is to be hungry. I refuse to settle back into diet mentality but if I can structure my eating to help me regulate hormones without actually changing anything about what I eat maybe it will help. I'm happy to be healthy but I feel like there is something wrong that I haven't naturally shed some weight.

IF is going pretty well. I'm visiting family in europe at the moment and their eating cycles are WAY different than mine. I like eating 2 meals a day, one after my workout around 12pm and one at dinner at 6pm, with perhaps a snack before working out like a cup of yogurt. Because I have GERD i can't eat at night. But here people eat a huge meal at 1pm which is find for IF, I can stave it off easily. But their dinner meal is after 9PM! It's very hard to do IF like this. If I were to follow my own schedule I'd be eating all by myself every meal, which quite frankly is uncomfortable when you're staying with family in someone else's home. Tonight for example we're going out to dinner with friends and we're meeting them at 9:30 at a restaurant. That means we probably won't even start our meal by 10. In order to do IF properly I will have to eat my first meal today at 4-5pm but it's already 10am and I've been up for 3hrs and I just don't know how to stave it off for that long especially since 4pm everyone is sleeping siesta time and that means I'll have to creep into the kitchen and eat a lonesome meal. Can I even do this? This late dinner thing is really killing me. If only I knew how to sleep in until 11am like everyone else.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:06 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Palestrina I have a friend who lost over 100 pounds by eating two meals a day 12 hours apart. This is a diet his doctor put him on. It included fermented foods.
I think I read that making sure not to snack between meals is a mild form of fasting and is one of the reasons many people were not overweight until the snacking habit started in the 60's. If I find the time I will look for the article.

Found it.
https://intensivedietarymanagement.c...l-obesity-xii/
https://intensivedietarymanagement.c...-obesity-xiii/

Last edited by Ubee; 07-21-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote