3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > General Diet Plans and Questions

General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:13 PM   #91

After a month of IE you'll never go back. I only lost 40lb and never go below 150 but I can't diet anymore.
1 Thess. 4:16-17
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #92
**Britt**

S/C/G: 167.8/157.8/125-129

I definitely want to adopt IE as my WOE forever. I think I still need to do a lot of mental work, though. I'm not at the place now where I feel like I am okay with gaining and not feeling like a failure if I overeat.
brd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #93

IE is a great process to start eliminating that mentality, though. The goal of IE is a good relationship with food and peace of mind. The body usually finds a healthy size if we listen to what it really needs.

If nothing else, just be kind to yourself.
My goals are not measured in pounds, but rather by the self love and trust gained through Intuitive Eating. I accept that there are no quick fixes. That there is no miracle diet or drug. I will never give another $1 to the $50 billion dollar weight loss industry that fails us time and time again. I welcome the journey back to my own wisdom.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:39 AM   #94

S/C/G: 200/154/155

Height: 5'9"

Beginme: Im glad you are feeling a little better now. I think being diagnosed as diabetic and told I have to diet and exercise would throw me into a tailspin too.

Welcome brd88: IE has been and continues to be a long journey with many steps forward and many steps back, but if you don't give up, and stay open to learning new things about yourself and trying to remain aware, I think it can make a huge difference.

I had to think about how I know I am hungry now and I realized I can't put it into words so well. Sometimes my stomach growls but not always. I have been eating based on hunger for so long now, that I realized that my hunger cue now is, if food doesn't sound good to me,I am not really hungry. I do get a little emptiness but I notice that when Im hungry is when I start thinking about food. I now very rarely eat when Im not physically hungry because it feels awful! Like, stuffing food into my body when I don't want or need it, its hard to do and it doesn't taste good and I almost never do it anymore unless I need to take medicine and need food with it, or Im not going to be able to eat for 7 hours so I eat something proactively.

I still sometimes eat something just because it is "there" but if Im not hungry, it just doesn't taste good to me at all anymore. Last night I had this idea that I really wanted a piece of toast before bed. I didn't think I felt hungry but the idea wouldn't go away so I eventually made the toast. I took a few bites and realized I was so not hungry and the toast didn't taste good at all. I threw it away. The way I got to that point is by having lots of eating experiences when I am physically hungry, and less and less eating experiences when I am not hungry.

I have been sick all week and not had much of an appetite. In the past, I would have tried to capitalize on that for weight loss or started obsessing about food. This time I barely even thought about it. I just didn't eat much and didn't worry about it. I have finally learned that hunger really isn't an emergency. I know if I do get hungry, that I will feed myself.

One thing that has helped me is having a busy job that takes place with no break and during typical mealtimes, so I have had to learn to go 6 or 7 hours without food. That has also helped me learn what hunger REALLY is. I don't know, it took a long time to get here and I still have learning and growing to do, but lately I feel like I have really begun to overcome some major IE hurdles and finally begun intuitive eating as a way of life for the most part. I am still working on it though.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #95
**Britt**

Thanks for the encouragement, beginme and Pinkhippie!
I definitely want to get there. For now, I am practicing OMAD for a while, which is a lot more intuitive than counting bites like I have been in the past. I have my meal whenever I am hungry and eat, though it's not IE in that I don't necessarily stop before I'm full since I know I'm not eating again until the next day. I have only been eating a plate's worth of food with a glass of wine, so I am definitely not gorging, but I'm not eating so little that I can't make it the rest of the day. So far, I have not experienced any true hunger until the next day, so I think I am on the right track.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #96

brd88: glad OMAD is helping you! I imagine that eating only one meal a day definitely helps you understand what hunger really feels like. I have tried to do OMAD. and the many different methods of intermittent fasting, or just two times a day of eating in the past but find it really makes me feel crummy, so I stopped. What I started doing that really helped me was to stop snacking and just eat meals. Usually 3 a day, but sometimes 4 if I was hungry. That helped me take my food seriously, eat only when I was hungry, sit down and eat it, and stopped mindless eating. I'm glad there are so many ways to get in tune with our bodies true hunger signals, since we are all so different. Good luck to you!

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 03-26-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #97

Pinkhippie, are you where you want to be weight wise?
1 Thess. 4:16-17
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #98
**Britt**

Pinkhippie: that makes a lot of sense! You definitely have to do what works for you. For whatever reason, I am always more successful when I implement some type of IF. I don't know why, but whenever I follow one of the protocols, I never binge, and I usually lose weight slowly but steadily without feeling hungry. It really can't get much better than that in terms of "dieting," I guess. I just always get so impatient. I need to work on being more patient with weight loss. Only weighing once a week has seemed to be helpful for that so far. I also need to do a bit more work on mindless eating. Maybe I will make monthly goals for myself. Like April will be all about mindful eating, taking my time and focusing on my meal. And then May can be a focus on another tenet of IE - maybe the rejecting diet mentality component. I know I need A LOT of work with that, so that might take a few months actually...
Old 03-27-2017, 04:10 PM   #99

Carolr: I pretty much am where I want to be weight wise. I haven't weighed myself in a while, but every time I do, I have been holding about 5 pounds above where I was before I had kids. My BMI is in the mid 23 range, all my old clothes from my 20's fit, and I am wearing a size 10. I have noticed in pictures of myself recently that I am looking smaller then I have in a long time and more like I looked before kids. My face in pictures looks a lot more defined than it did even a few months ago. Of course I think to myself that just 5 pounds more would be nice, but honestly I am pretty happy with how I look right now. I know if I exercised regularly, I would probably be completely satisfied with how I look. I just seem to have a real issue with exercise. Luckily my job is pretty active.

brd88:

I think the most important thing in the IE process is just to be patient with yourself and experiment. Regard each "non success" as a learning opportunity and keep on trucking. I am still working on the mindful eating. I find it hard to not read and eat at the same time as they are two of my favorite activities. I found once I stopped weighing myself and focusing on my appearance and more started focusing on how I felt that things worked out a lot better for me. Have you read any IE books that you find helpful? That non dieting mentality is tough! Reading a diet book used to be one of my favorite things to do, and now I don't even want to read them. If I try, I find them boring and pointless. It's a pretty big change. I know for a long time I tried to not read diet books even when I really wanted to, but now I just don't have the desire.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 03-28-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #100

S/C/G: 238/217.2/150

Height: 5'2'

The authors of Intuitive Eating book have come out with a workbook on sale at Amazon.com. I just ordered it. Since I lean so much toward IE and diets just do not work for me, I hope this will help me to be a better Intuitive Eater.

I cannot do this on my own, but I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:39 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
The authors of Intuitive Eating book have come out with a workbook on sale at Amazon.com. I just ordered it. Since I lean so much toward IE and diets just do not work for me, I hope this will help me to be a better Intuitive Eater.
I looked it up, it looks really interesting! Please come back and let us know what you think of it when you get it.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:50 PM   #102
**Britt**

Hi, Pinkhippie:
Thanks for those points! I haven't read the original IE book, though I participated in a religious IE program back in middle school, which has many of the same tenets. I should probably read the book, though, since I am no longer religious and can't really use too much more of that program.

I have decided to try to work on small things each month like I mentioned before. I ended up binging on Monday, so I tried to loosen the reins some on what I was doing. OMAD definitely is working for me since I only seem to get true hunger once a day, but I was also heavily restricting what I ate in that meal to try to accelerate weight loss. What do you all think about this for my April goals (I started yesterday)?

Eat what you want during your meal when you experience true hunger.
Eat until you are satisfied, even if that means eating a larger portion than you "think" you should have to lose weight.
Give yourself permission to do this, and don't feel guilty about it.
Weigh only once a week.
Go for a long walk at least once a week.

I realize that I may maintain or gain next week since I am going to stop restricting so much, and that is okay. The trend is still downward, and I know my body will adjust and appreciate that I am not focusing so much on eating the bare minimum to avoid headaches. I know I will eventually adjust to smaller portion sizes. I think the biggest thing is that I need to be consistent. So this month, I am just focusing on eating once a day without worrying about calories and getting in one long walk a week since I truly enjoy long walks. I figure these are enough to get me started for now.

Last edited by brd88; 03-29-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #103

brd88 Hi. I don't think I've seen you before. I'm just getting back on here so welcome.

I don't think you have to worry too much about portions when eating OMAD. I personally believe as long as you are listening to your body and going by how you feel. If you can tell when you are satisfied, I think that would be the signal you would need that says "I've had enough". I used to know that feeling, but I've eaten by the clock so long that I'm trying to get back in touch with those feelings again.

Pinkhippie I'm so glad you shared about how you know when you are hungry. I don't always feel actual hunger. In fact, I have eaten at times when I just felt like I needed to eat, but no stomach signals. I am on Trulicity injections once a week for diabetes and sometimes I get the hypoglycemic feelings before I even realize that I am hungry. I'm slowly learning that I actually have this feeling that I should eat something just before I get to that point, but I didn't recognize it. After reading what you wrote, maybe I don't get the hunger pangs so much as I just get the feeling that it is time for me to eat something.

Actually the blood sugar isn't so low that it is dangerous, it is just coming down to where it should be and I can actually go a little longer while I prepare a meal or whatever with no danger of passing out which I have learned is a good thing not a bad thing. It is just good to know what my body is trying to tell me as it adjusts to getting back to normal.

My IE workbook is supposed to be here tomorrow so I'm going to start reading the book again so I'll be ready to start the workbook when it does get here. I'm looking forward to that.

I cannot do this on my own, but I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #104
**Britt**

Hi, Patty!
I am new around here
Yep, I am trying to follow that eating until satisfied signal from now on. Before, I was really restricting what I ate in that meal, trying to eat the least possible amount. I need to get away from that thinking.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:39 AM   #105

Just learned of a book by Michelle May titled Eat What you Love Love what you Eat with diabetes for diabetic or pre-diabetes. Will get it Saturday. It will be nice to have an IE book for diabetics.