General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:54 AM   #301  

Hi there
Hi Pang – love all the food combinations – will bear those in mind when cooking.
Well yesterday was ok but I still haven’t quite nailed my day.
My problem is when I get in in the evenings I just start nibbling BUT I have a new plan for today.
MILK OF MAGNESIA, I seem to have been coming across lots recently about not having enough Mg so I have a bottle of milk of mg in the house now and I plan to have a big spoonful when I get in to take the edge of my nibbling so I can sit down properly to a good dinner with the kids.
I have a favourite meal on the menu tonight – salad, smoked salmon and fried eggs.
I have about 35 lbs to loose, which just gets me down from time to time and I was further disappointed to see that my weight had gone UP from last week when I started OMAD.
So the plan is to get back into paleo and to really focus on portion sizes and NOT nibbling in that 1 hour window when I am preparing / eating dinner.
Also I live in a family of coeliacs and gluten intolerants (so I run a gluten free house) but I am dairy intolerant as well and I have to confess dairy and some grains (oats & rice) have slipped back in hence the decision to get back to paleo eating – got to deal with all that inflammation,
We will see how things go.
Other than that feeling calm.
Z
zmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:43 AM   #302  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Ubee, congratulations on losing 50 pounds! Glad to hear things are still going well for you. =)

SM, I love Dr Fung and thanks for the link! If you want to get a feel for the incredible range of folks doing OMAD, here's Nun Amen-Ra who is living proof that OMAD, even vegan, can be very muscle-friendly. That said, I've seen studies showing muscle loss with OMAD as weight loss, but less muscle loss than traditional day long eating.

Pang, you keep inspiring me to tweak my nutrients! I eat mixed nuts every day but they contain very few walnuts. I buy salted nuts which are a little too salty for me so I've been mixing them with the same mix, unsalted. Meanwhile, I have 2 bags of plain walnuts in my fridge leftover from Xmas baking (err, yes, I did have a bit if a bump up over the holidays, lol). I will just mix unsalted walnuts in with my salted nuts from now on!

Z, getting enough Mg is importatnt; I take a supplement to help me sleep. Regarding the nibbling, I don't know if this will help or not, but even with OMAD, I find that starting my meal with a low-calorie soup or large salad helps fill me up before the calorie-dense entree. After dinner, I have my nuts and after that a decaf latte with a small serving of chocolate. So, I'm not nibbling per-se but with pausing between all those courses it does take up time. I think that starting with something high-volume like soup or salad (or maybe a veggie dish) might also help with after dinner snacking. I hope you find something to help with that.

Like Z, we also ended up having salmon last night. We keep cyrovac'ed wild-caught salmon filets on hand and one of my fave dishes is salmon with haricots verts in green curry made with coconut cream. Yum! and leftovers for tonight. =)

Last edited by yoyoma; 03-23-2017 at 06:59 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:20 PM   #303  

S/C/G: 255/229/155

Height: 5'9

OK

How about your drinks.
What does an omad drink all day.

When I semi fast .
I use one lemon in my teas .
I even zest the peels and flavor fish
I the eat the pith in salads. And tuna salad.

Almost everytime I use the Lemon I also take in ten spinach leaves.3-4 walnuts or pistatio

I think nuts and leaves go well together. If you got something flavor wise to wash it down with.
Citrus has a place in my life . It's sweet and has benefits.
However. I only have it as a synergy because I'm losing weight.
I use it differently when I lose 100lbs from now.
Pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #304  

Hi all
Don’t know if any of you have had this type of self-sabotage, so I thought I would share.
I have had anorexia, I calorie restricted for about 2 years and actually didn’t really loose that much weight (as I didn’t know I had a major thyroid problem).
Slowly the eating crept up or a binge happened – I know now that this was my body crying out for food – but to keep my weight down I started running (I did lots of running) I was bulimic. I made lots of excuses that exercise was the only time I felt OK as it was the only time my heart beat got up to an acceptable level (my resting heartbeat before the thyroid issue was dealt with could be as low as 35, but typically sat about 40-42).
Not eating, binging and serious exercise became my norm for over 3 years, I wouldn’t wish this type of existence on anyone, it is HATEFUL.
Eventually everything got on top of me and I gave up – I ate and I stopped over exercising AND I BALLOONED.
So back to my self-sabotage – this now seems to kick in when my weight starts to go down, something inside me is so scared of going back to the old way of life that it can’t seem to rationalise that there might be a new / better way of life where eating & exercise can be NORMAL and I don’t have to be 35 lbs heavier than I am now.
So this is the demon I am facing at the moment.
I have tried loads of diets / whole 30 etc. on many occasions and each time I have failed or put weight on which has crushed me.
I know now that I really don’t need much food and living in a society which promotes 3 meals / snacks etc. is just generally bad for me.
I really am envious of those who can eat anything and at any time but over the years I have discovered I just can’t.
This is why I am hoping OMAD will work for me.

Pang - I only do 2 drinks coffee / water
Tried some herbal teas in the past but I have a bad reaction to licorice root & valarian root, cant stand normal tea
Old 03-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #305  

Z, I hope you can work something out. Although I've never had a full-blown ED, I've certainly lost control over my eating from time to time in the past. I would sometimes "binge" on even relatively healthy foods back when I was calorie counting and eating several times a day; having "just one spoonful" of red lentils could lead to eating the whole pot. When I tried alternate-day fasting before OMAD, I had the same problem in that on feed days I would eat way too much. Even when I first started OMAD, I would often overeat at my one meal. Over time, that tendency disappeared and now I am happy to stop when I feel full. I think adding the soup helped, especially at first.

Pang, I don't feel that OMAD is a formal program. Even if it were, I would do it my own way, lol. I drink water (not so much plain water but some), water with flavor drops, coffee, tea, rooibos, and sometimes diet soda (Dr Pepper or stevia-sweetened root beer; I have both on hand but haven't been drinking those very often). Nowadays, I have a tsp of cream in my coffee, and I usually have the tea as a chai with milk foam. So there are some calories in those drinks, but as I'm fond of saying, I do what works for me and I want to enjoy my day.

There is a lot of overlap between folks doing IF and those doing HFLC. So some people will drink bullet-proof coffee (coffee with coconut oil/butter blended until emulsified). There are also folks who eat more than one meal but only eat carbs at one of their meals. Those folks might have some protein at other meals, so that would be similar to your having a protein shake. Since you have a schedule that works for you, stick with it and don't worry about naming it.

We are going out to a play with another couple tonight. We have reservations at a nice Brazilian Barbecue. I am looking forward to that. =)

Last edited by yoyoma; 03-24-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #306  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post me too

Hi

I'm also an IFer. Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I follow the food plan of Dr. Fung, LCHF, though I have been off track this past week. I thought maybe if I joined in here as well it will help me stay on track. This morning I am writing down my food plan for the next few days. Writing things down helps a lot and it's almost the first thing I stop doing. Back to basics.

Bye!

Last edited by onebyone; 03-24-2017 at 09:16 AM.
onebyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #307  
**Britt**

S/C/G: 167.8/157.8/125-129

I'd like to try this. I have been bite counting, but I would really prefer not to have to count anything and get the benefits of IF. I used to do the 19:5 IF when I was low carbing, and I really liked how it changed my body composition after a few weeks.
brd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #308  

Hi all

Yoyoma - I so empathise with “losing control” over eating, I have also binged on healthy foods and have done the one spoonful into the whole pot.
What I don’t understand is how I went from being SOOOOO disciplined to completely losing it.
I have also noticed that since my start on OMAD I have overdone things – I think my focus was too much on a 1 hour window as opposed to a meal, this is what I am trying to think about now.
Also I am trying to think more about YES you can have something BUT not NOW.
I think when I finally broke free from bulimia I felt a desperate need to eat, like my food supply would run out – when clearly it won’t.
I also have to get my head around not panicking if / when I lose weight – there will always be food / I will not be deprived so I don’t self-sabotage all over again.
BUT I guess I will get there.

I am having dinner tonight with my cousin; this is the first time in a very long time that I am not panicking about eating out / eating in front of someone.
I am hoping it will be NORMAL.
It is the 1st time in a long time I have actually agreed to go out without worrying will I have to cancel / what excuse can I make, I actually feel a bit blessed that in just over a week I can now think like this.
It is the 1st time in a long time that I am looking forward to a social occasion that involves food and I am so looking forward to choosing what I want (within reason – no gluten or dairy) that will satisfy me, rather than feeling utterly miserable having a side salad and agonising over it.

Have a lovely weekend.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:46 PM   #309  

Hi brd88.

Please help me.
Can you point me in the direction of the 19.5 window Information.
No wrong answer.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #310  

Today is my last fastday for my first 13 weeks.
I will end the planned break and restart on week 14 of the year. Another 12 weeks of 4:3 after that.
My eating window is 6 hours apart on fast days.
I'm exercising but not geared for weight loses yet.
Because , I already walk at work more than 15,000
Steps a day, I do compound lifting at the gym. But the fat loss exercise I prefer is jumprope. And it's uncomfortable until I reach 205lbs . Hard on my joints. So I'm trying to get to that goal by week 27 of the year and then go high gear.

I would rather it be 5 hours, but I work in a warehouse.
I need energy intake on breaks. I get some energy on lunch by taking a nap. But there's 6 hours between my two 15 Minute breaks. I have a nutrition dense 300 calories on each break.
Then when I go home I sleep if get hunger pangs.

I do this 3 days a week.
The other four feed days

Protein shakes for breakfast.
Salads for lunch.
2 fish dinners
1 chicken dinner
1 steak dinner.

I have blueberries with the salads and broccoli with the meats.
On feed days my eating window is 8 hours

In between meals I drink vitamin water, or green teas with lemon.
So far I've lost 23lbs. Since mid December.
I'm losing about a 1lb a week.

Last edited by Pang; 03-24-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #311  

Below is a copy and paste from mercola.

I take the 26 essential vitamins and minerals very seriously
hen I make a menu.
I first fit in the macro nutrients carbs, proteins, fats as grams.

I then fit in the RDA of essential vitamins & minerals.

Then I consider the health benefits of foods as medicine.

Then I consider if there are any good synergy combinations.

Below is a copy and paste of some of beneficial health foods that I consider fitting into my menus over 12 weeks .

Superfoods That Give You the Most Bang for Your Buck
March 20, 2017 | 209,940 views

Story at-a-glance-

Eating a healthy, nutrient-dense diet is a potent preventive strategy, and getting more raw organic foods and healthy fats in your diet are key considerationsSeventeen superfoods that give you the most bang for your buck are listed, along with tips to save even more money and boost the nutritional content of the food by proper preparation and cooking

By Dr. Mercola

Ideally, food is your "medicine." It's certainly one of the best preventive strategy I can think of, and getting more raw organic foods and healthy fats in your diet are key considerations.

However, while any type of whole food is better than none, some choices can give you more bang for your buck than others.

For example, while lettuce is a staple in most people's homes, even if they don't eat a whole lot of vegetables in general, and many may even spend the extra money on organic lettuce, there are far more cost-effective ways to get higher quality nutrients into your diet.

Below are 17 of my personal favorites in no particular order, with some added cost-saving and nutrition-boosting tips thrown in along the way.

1. Wild-Caught Alaskan Salmon

Research suggests eating clean fish like salmon, sardines or anchovies once or twice a week may increase your lifespan by more than two years and reduce your risk of dying from cardiovascular disease by 35 percent.2

However, the devil's in the details, and when it comes to salmon, it's quite crucial to buy the right kind.

What you're looking for is wild-caught Alaskan salmon. Steer clear of all farmed and genetically engineered varieties.3Virtually all salmon marked "Atlantic salmon" comes from fish farms, and researchers have shown farmed salmon may be one of the most toxic foods in the world.

Levels of healthy omega-3 fats are also reduced by about 50 percent in farmed salmon compared to wild salmon, due to the use of grain and legume feed.

Canned salmon labeled "Alaskan Salmon" is a cost-effective way to buy salmon, as it is far cheaper than whole salmon steaks. If you're not a fan of salmon, you can get many of the same health benefits by eating anchovies or sardines, ideally canned in water rather than olive oil, as inferior grades of olive oil are typically used.

2. Avocado

In addition to being an excellent source of healthy fats, avocados also have other unique health benefits, including enhancing your body's absorption of nutrients and inhibiting production of an inflammatory compound produced when you eat beef.4

They also contain compounds that inhibit and destroy oral cancer cells,5,6 and being very high in potassium avocados will help balance your potassium to sodium ratio.

Avocados are one of the safest fruits you can buy conventionally-grown, so you don't need to spend the extra money for organic ones. Their thick skin protects the inner fruit from pesticides.

Another cost-saving measure is to keep them refrigerated. If you buy unripe avocado in bulk when they're on sale, storing them in the fridge will significantly slow down the ripening process and save a bundle.

Simply place however many you want to use within the next day or two on the counter, and they'll rapidly ripen.

3. Sprouts and Microgreens

Many of the benefits of sprouts and microgreens relate to the fact that, in their initial and early phase of growth, the plants contain more concentrated amounts of nutrients.7,8,9

As a result, you need to eat far less, in terms of amount, compared to a mature plant. Sprouts may be harvested within just a few days or a week of growth, while microgreens10 are typically harvested after two to three weeks, when they've reached a height of about 2 inches.

Essential fatty acids heighten and the protein quality of several vegetables improves when sprouted. Sprouts can also contain up to 100 times more enzymes than their full-grown counterparts, and help protect against chemical carcinogens.11 Watercress may be the most nutrient-dense of all.12,13

Sprouts and microgreens are easy and inexpensive to grow at home. They're a particularly excellent choice during winter months, when outdoor gardening is limited or ruled out.

Another major benefit is that you don't have to cook them. A simple way to dramatically improve your nutrition is to swap out lettuce for sprouts and/or microgreens in your salad, or on burgers, sandwiches or tacos.

Even a few grams of microgreens per day can "entirely satisfy" the recommended daily intake of vitamins C, E and K.14

4. Broccoli

Research shows this cruciferous veggie may reduce your risk for many common diseases, including arthritis, cancer, heart disease and more.

When you eat broccoli, you're getting dozens of super-nutrients that support optimal, body-wide health, including fiber, the anti-cancer compounds sulforaphane15,16,17,18 and glucoraphanin,19,20 anti-inflammatory and free radical quenching phenolic compounds21,22,23 and immune-boosting diindolylmethane (DIM).24,25

Three servings of broccoli per week may reduce your risk of prostate cancer by more than 60 percent.26 Sulforaphane also helps raise testosterone levels, inhibits the retention of body fat, helps detox carcinogens27 and helps protect your muscles against exercise-induced damage.28

Ideally, choose raw broccoli, as frozen broccoli has diminished ability to produce sulforaphane. The enzyme myrosinase,29which converts glucoraphanin to sulforaphane, is quickly destroyed during the blanching process.30

Even better, opt for broccoli sprouts, which can contain 20 to 50 times more chemoprotective compounds than mature broccoli.31,32

When using raw broccoli, steaming it forthree to four minutes will optimize the sulforaphane content. Do not go past five minutes. If you want to boil your broccoli, blanch it in boiling water for no more than 20 to 30 seconds, then immerse it in cold water to stop the cooking process.

The sulforaphane content can be further optimized by eating it with mustard seed, daikon radishes, wasabi, arugula and/or cole slaw.33

5. Onions

Onions are another potent anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer food. Recent research shows people with the highest consumption of onions have a lower risk of several different types of cancer.34,35,36,37

Research has also revealed that the stronger the flavor of the onion, the better its cancer-fighting potential. In one analysis,38,39shallots, Western yellow and pungent yellow onions were the most effective against liver cancer. The latter two were also particularly effective against colon cancer.

Onions also contain compounds known to protect against cardiovascular disease and neurological dysfunction or decline. They also help prevent obesity and diabetes, in part by inhibiting certain enzymes in your digestive tract, and by supporting healthy blood sugar control.

Antioxidants are most concentrated in the outer layers of the onion, so peel off only the outermost paper-like layer. Overpeeling can reduce important antioxidants and chemoprotective compounds by as much as 75 percent.40

On the upside, the anti-cancer compound quercetin does not degrade when cooked over low heat. Store whole, dry bulbs in a cool, dry, dark place with plenty of air movement to maximize shelf life.

6. Spinach

Spinach is also rich in cancer-fighting antioxidants, vitamin K1 (good for your veins and arteries), magnesium and folate, the latter of which is important for short-term memory and helps lower your risk for heart disease and cancer by slowing down wear and tear on your DNA. It also contains more potassium than banana.

One caveat and contraindication: If you have calcium oxalate kidney stones, spinach is on the list of foods to strictly avoid, as it is high in oxalate. Also keep in mind that boiling the spinach will leach valuable nutrients like vitamin C into the water. After 10 minutes of boiling, three-quarters of the phytonutrients in spinach will be lost, so you're better off eating it raw, or lightly steamed or sautéed.

7. Coconut Oil

Coconut oil provides a mix of medium-chain fats, including C6, C8, C10 and C12 fats, the latter of which (lauric acid), is most well-known for its antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiviral properties.

The shorter-chained MCTs, on the other hand, are more readily converted into ketones, which are an excellent mitochondrial fuel. Ketones also help suppress the hunger hormone ghrelin, and coconut oil has been shown to aid weight loss and improve your HDL to LDL cholesterol balance.41

My new book, "Fat for Fuel," explains many of the health benefits associated with a diet high in healthy fats, including coconut oil. Indeed, the ketogenic diet, featuring low net carb and high fat intake, has been shown to be beneficial for many chronic health conditions, including cancer, and can significantly improve your chances of weight loss.

One way to save money on coconut oil is to buy it by the gallon. Big box stores like Costco also tend to have better prices on such bulk items. Unlike other healthy oils such as olive oil, coconut oil is very resistant to oxidation that occurs once you open the jar or apply heat, so buying in bulk is not a major concern.

8. Fermented Cabbage

Cabbage tends to be inexpensive, and you can supercharge its health benefits by fermenting it, thereby also significantly extending its shelf life. The fermenting process produces copious quantities of beneficial microbes that are extremely important for your health, as they help balance your intestinal flora and boost your immunity.

These beneficial bacteria can even help to normalize your weight, and play a significant role in the prevention of type 2 diabetes, depression and other mood disorders.

9. Organic, Pastured Eggs

Free-range or pastured eggs are a relatively inexpensive and amazing source of high-quality nutrients, especially protein and fat. A single egg contains nine essential amino acids, high quality protein, lutein and zeaxanthin for your eyes, choline for your brain, nervous- and cardiovascular systems, and naturally-occurring B12.

Ideally, you'll want to eat your eggs as close to raw as possible, such as soft-boiled or poached. Scrambled or fried eggs are the worst, as this oxidizes the cholesterol in the egg yolk. If you have kidney damage, you may want to discard the egg white. If you chose to use the egg white, avoid eating it raw unless it's in combination with the yolk. Eating only egg white could potentially lead to biotin deficiency.

Besides superior nutrition, pastured chickens are much healthier than factory farmed chickens and therefore have a far lower risk of producing eggs infected with salmonella. To find a free-range pasture farm in your local area, check out www.eatwild.com or www.localharvest.org.

Keep in mind that eggs sold as "cage-free" does not mean the chickens were raised under ideal conditions. They're not raised in cages, but they may still not have access to the outdoors. So, there are still significant differences between "cage-free" and "free range" or "pastured" eggs. To identify better commercial producers and brands, see the Cornucopia Institute's egg report and scorecard, which ranks 136 egg producers according to 28 organic criteria.

10. Berries

Berries are loaded with vitamins, minerals and micronutrients that impart a host of health advantages. Importantly, their antioxidant power helps keep free radicals in check and fights inflammation. Some of the most important antioxidants in berries are anthocyanins, flavonols, ellagic acid and resveratrol, which studies say help protect your cells and fight off disease.

Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, cranberries and blackberries are known as some of the world's best dietary sources of bioactive compounds associated with a reduced risk of heart disease, neurodegeneration, diabetes, inflammation and cancer. One way to prevent waste — as berries can get moldy within days if you don't eat them — is to buy frozen berries and simply thaw what you need. Frozen berries also tend to be less expensive pound-for-pound compared to fresh berries.

11. Kiwi

If you need vitamin C, which helps support immune function, look no further than the kiwi. One medium-sized fruit provides 117 percent of your daily recommended intake. They're also a good source of fiber, vitamins E and K, potassium and antioxidants that help ward off chronic disease. Interestingly, kiwis have also been shown to help lower blood pressure.42

Acerola cherries are far better but they are not available commercially and need to be grown in subtropical environments. They are less than 10 percent the size of a kiwi and have more vitamin C. I have two trees that supply me with 50 to 75 or more cherries a day for about 8 months out of the year, which supplies me with many grams of a complete vitamin C matrix.

12. Raw Yogurt and Kefir

While most commercial yogurts are little more than glorified desserts loaded with sugar, yogurt and kefir made from cultured raw, organic grassfed milk are a real superfood, providing an array of healthy bacteria that support optimal health, along with high-quality protein, calcium, B vitamins and even cancer-fighting conjugated linoleic acid (CLA).

If you want to know which commercial yogurts are healthy and which are not, refer to The Cornucopia Institute's Yogurt Report. Their investigation found many products being sold as yogurt do not even meet the standards for real yogurt. The report also includes a comparative cost analysis of commercial yogurt brands.

The good news is many organic yogurts are actually less expensive, on a price-per-ounce basis, than conventional, heavily processed yogurts (although some of the organic brands of yogurt actually contained some of the highest amounts of sugar). Your absolute best bet — and also your least expensive — is to make your own kefir or yogurt using organic grassfed milk. It's a simple process requiring nothing more than the milk, some starter granules and a few mason jars.

13. Grassfed Beef and Beef Liver

Swapping grain-fed beef from concentrated animal feeding operations for organic grassfed beef is well worth the added price, as you get higher quality nutrients and less exposure to antibiotics and pathogenic bacteria. As for organ meat, it is a nutritional powerhouse, loaded with vitamins, minerals, amino acids and other compounds vital to your health, many of which Americans are deficient in.

Liver is particularly packed with nutrients. In fact, it contains more nutrients, gram for gram, than any other food, including choline, B vitamins, bioavailable iron, vitamin D and CoQ10.

You can save money by buying directly from a farmer and then freezing the meat. To ensure you're getting the highest quality possible, look for the American Grassfed Association's certification. Their website also allows you to search for AGA approved producers certified according to strict standards that include being raised on a diet of 100 percent forage; raised on pasture and never confined to a feedlot; never treated with antibiotics or hormones; born and raised on American family farms.

14. Grassfed Raw Butter

Butter, when made from grassfed cows, is rich in CLA, known to help fight cancer and diabetes. Butter is also a rich source of easily absorbed vitamin A and other fat-soluble vitamins (D, E and K2) that are often lacking in the modern industrial diet, plus trace minerals such as manganese, chromium, zinc, copper and selenium (a powerful antioxidant).

About 20 percent of butterfat consists of short- and medium-chain fatty acids, which your body uses right away for quick energy. Real butter also contains Wulzen Factor, a hormone-like substance that prevents arthritis and joint stiffness, ensuring that calcium in your body is put into your bones rather than your joints and other tissues. The Wulzen factor is present only in raw butter and cream; it is destroyed by pasteurization.

Here, you again have the option of making your own butter from raw grassfed milk. You may also find unpasteurized grassfed butter at your local farm or farmers market. The next best is pasteurized butter from grassfed cows, followed by regular pasteurized butter common in supermarkets.

Even the latter two are healthier choices by orders of magnitude than margarines or spreads. Just beware of "Monsanto Butter," meaning butter that comes from cows fed almost entirely genetically engineered grains. This includes Land O'Lakes and Alta Dena.

15. Mushrooms

A number of different mushrooms — including shiitake, maitake and reishi — are known for their immune-boosting powers. In fact, some of the most potent immunosupportive agents come from mushrooms, and this is one reason why they're so beneficial for both preventing and treating cancer. Long-chain polysaccharides, particularly alpha- and beta-glucan molecules, are primarily responsible for the mushrooms' beneficial effect on your immune system.

They're also rich in protein, fiber, vitamin C, B vitamins, selenium, calcium, minerals and antioxidants, including some that are unique to mushrooms. One such antioxidant is ergothioneine, which scientists are now beginning to recognize as a "master antioxidant."

When it comes to mushrooms, make sure they're organic, as mushrooms tend to absorb and concentrate toxins from soil, air and water. Growing your own is an excellent option, but avoid picking mushrooms in the wild unless you are absolutely sure you know what you're picking. Some mushrooms are guaranteed lethal and have no known antidote.

16. Kale

The nutritional density of kale is virtually unparalleled among green leafy vegetables, boasting all essential amino acids and nine non-essential ones. One-half cup of raw kale provides 100 percent of your daily requirement of vitamin A, 340 percent of your vitamin K and 67 percent of your vitamin C. It's also loaded with both lutein and zeaxanthin, which are important for good eyesight. Gram-for-gram, kale even contains more calcium than milk.

Like many other superfoods on this list, kale contains potent chemoprotective agents, including the phytonutrient indole-3-carbinol — which has been shown to aid DNA cell repair and slow the growth of cancer cells — and sulforaphane. Its anti-inflammatory capabilities have also been shown to help prevent and even reverse arthritis, heart disease and several autoimmune diseases.

17. Whey Protein Concentrate

Whey protein, a byproduct of milk and cheese, has been linked to a variety of health benefits, including:

Helping your insulin work more effectively, which helps maintain your blood sugar level after a meal

Promoting healthy insulin secretion, which is imperative for optimal health

Helping to promote your optimal intake of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals needed for your overall wellness

Helping you preserve lean body tissue (particularly during exercise) as it delivers bioavailable amino acids and cysteine

Supporting your immune system, as it contains immunoglobulins

Maintaining blood pressure levels that are already within the normal range

Whey protein concentrate (not to be confused with the far inferior whey protein isolate) is an ideal choice as it's a rich source of amino acids.

It's also the best food for maximizing your glutathione levels as it provides all the raw materials for glutathione production (cysteine, glycine and glutamate). Glutathione is your body's most powerful antioxidant and has even been called "the master antioxidant." It is a tripeptide found inside every single cell in your body. When shopping for a whey protein, be sure to look for a product that is:

Cold pressedDerived from organic grassfed cowsFree of hormonesToxin-freeFree of artificial sweeteners
Copyright 1997-2017 Dr. Joseph Mercola. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited by Pang; 03-25-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #312  
**Britt**

S/C/G: 167.8/157.8/125-129

Thanks for all that info, Pang!
I try to be cognizant of this as much as possible since I'm vegan and don't want to miss out on any needed vites and minerals.
By the way, 19:5 means 19 hours of fasting and 5 hours of eating. I would break my fast around 2 pm and then would eat whatever I had planned for the day up until 7 PM.

First day of OMAD went well yesterday. I was home from work yesterday, but I usually get home from work around 7:45 PM. I prefer my meal be at dinner because I like to enjoy a glass of red with my meal, which I obviously can't do at lunchtime. So I tried to emulate a regular working day and tried to wait until 8 PM to eat, but couldn't last past 6 before I started preparing dinner. I am going to try to delay even longer tonight and tomorrow so that I can get used to waiting until 8 like I will have to come Monday.
brd88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #313  

I'm not qualified to give advice either Yoyoma.

Weigh in week twelve. 232 lbs. no loss for this week. 23lbs so far.
This week I'm not fasting or counting calories.
I'm taking a one week planned break. Most of my uneaten supplies are gone from the cupboards.

I eat the three meals a day while on planned break.
I believe the biggest difference in dieting is a tendency to become malnourished. Do if I were underweight I would make nutrition uptake my biggest daily priority.

Malnutrition is more prevalent than most dieters realize.

I try to address this . In a complicated approach. But not really lime rocket science complicated.

No way will I ever go below 1200 calories over a seven day period.
I plug in 100% nutrition In that 1200 .
Protein shakes
Salads
Nuts and berries
Fish w/broccoli
Chicken w/broccoli
Steak w/broccoli

There is no human requirement for carbohydrates.
But protein is extremely important.
I build in protein uptake at least twice a day.
I use the shakes in the flavor I love. I don't have to cook them so it's easy. They are perfect for getting quick and appropriate protein. Plus I don't have make extensive decisions. They are like taking a multivitamin.

I get most of my organic nutrients from salads . I only eat four a week , and learned to love love love them . I eat four Brazil nuts a week. That can be toxic if eaten to much.

And the fish,chicken, and steak are for satiety. This keeps me on plan . Broccoli has much synergy with selenium that it's perfect for recovering from calorie restrictions. Again a super food I've adapted to love love love four days a week.

4 years ago I started the 5:2. And after 6 months became bored.
I was looking for somehing to keep me motivated more than just scale watching.

I turned to learning.
Learning not just about the 26 essential vitamins and minerals.
But also health benefits of foods.

For instance. We know bananas and oranges are healthy for us , but why? So I went down a trek of learning about longevity.

Now when I go back to three meals a day I can tell there is a mental issue there where I feel uncomfortable eating 3 squares in an unplanned way. I thinks it's because I view some foods so bad for me. I don't want to go back to unhealthy habits.

I'm not really sure what it is exactly. The feeling I mean.

However I'm also focused on death statistics.
If we can avoid, childhood death, accidental death, environmental hazards, preventable death, obesity, age related diseases.
It will be cancer that takes us down. We all already have it.
It's kept in check by our genetics and our immune system.

So when peering down the longevity path.
Eating fish twice a week.
Walking for over an hour after last meal.
Fasting at least two days a week.
Avoiding toxins and doing cleanses.
Eating nutrition dense foods.
Maintain healthy weight.

It feels weird to go back to what I could harm me in the long run.
So I only go on break for a week 4 times a year.

If your interested in the science aspect. This is what I consider the most important information about something almost no one eats. But could be the biggest factor in development of cancer cells . Or at least food is medicine Trek.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...08814608001040

Last edited by Pang; 03-26-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #314  

Hi, folks!

Z, hope you enjoyed your dinner with your cousin.

Britt, glad your first day of OMAD went well! Good idea to start on a weekend so you could have a few days to adjust the timing.

Pang, we actually do buy broccoli sprouts for their sulforaphane to add to salads! It is pretty hard to find (and expensive) but our local grocer sometimes has them (I like my broccoli cooked, so that is not a good source of sulforaphane for me). I also make sure I get enough selenium. My mixed nuts contain brazil nuts, which are the stand out source of selenium. The selenium accumulates so one is not supposed to eat more than 1 or 2 brazil nuts daily (on average, I probably eat about 1/2 nut per day, never more than 1 in a day).

Hope everyone is doing well.

The show was fun and the Brazilian BBQ was fab (fantastic salad bar and delish meat skewers, including lamb). Last night we had the taco salad I've been craving since Lolly mentioned it. Tonight it might be leftovers, but also thinking about a chicken stir fry with peanut sauce and saving leftovers for tomorrow.

Last edited by yoyoma; 03-26-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #315  

Agree Brazil nuts are to be regular , but 1 a day if no supplements, and 1/2 if you are taking supplements.

However I miss a week or so of Brazil nuts. I get plenty of selenium from meat,.

I grow the broccoli sprouts. So hard to find.
So many people close to have passed away . I can't help but try to control my food with eyes wide open.

What I can up with , or what I've latched on to is something Dr Varady said. I can't quote her, this is how I apply it.

I can find the greatest health diet of all time, but if I won't stick it?

I'm trying to get as close to ADF as I can.
High energy day followed by low energy day.
Possibly when my BMR is lower I'll try ADF again.
Right I'm laser focused on protein intake, balanced against 1lb a week weight loss.

Sorry for very very long posts. I'm on break and I'm trying not to lose contact with my good routine completely. Posting when I'm hungry is way for me to remind myself why I no longer consume more than I can metabolize.

I went to a buffet with my family today.
They all go once a week. It's been since mid December last time I was there. I still ate only the healthy stuff, and guessed at 900 calories . I really didn't want to be there. But tried to talk about other stuff than food.