General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #136  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Today is Tuesday; I've chosen this and Friday for the "2" of my 5:2 fasting schedule. Just received a new cookbook from Amazon--"The Ketogenic Cookbook" and will post impressions once I go through it.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #137  

Default Giving this a try, too

I've been doing this for about a week (eating only dinner). I was trying it before vacation, but that didn't last while I was on vacation although I did eat very LC those 10 days (my brother is dairy and gluten free).

I haven't been exercising except for walking as I want to get my meal size down so I don't overeat once I do start my morning workouts. I definitely feel very full after dinner, and it can be a challenge to try and eat balanced. I have been using the one plate theory as my limit. Thing is, I don't understand how a man with much larger calorie requirements can do this if I am struggling to eat my ~1500 calories in one sitting! I am hoping the meal planning gets easier as I get used to this.

So results...well no weight loss. Not terribly surprised since I am still figuring stuff out and I know a few meals were too big. But I have lost inches on my waist (moved another notch on my belt). The no eating breakfast is no issue as I rarely ate it before, and skipping lunch hasn't been a problem as long as I keep drinking my tea. I do get hungry around 3-4PM and start thinking about what I will make for dinner at 6:30.
cindy_975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #138  
Started 4th of July

S/C/G: 180/168/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi and welcome Cindy! I'm trying to recover from my vacation weight gain and am almost back down to 170. I can't wait to see the 160s

Spanky,,,,Wow you did great! I like Ketogenic also. I'm doing that a few days a week, but the AIP the rest!

Last edited by FinallyFree; 07-19-2016 at 07:49 PM.
FinallyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #139  

This week I am dealing with the work lunch! 3 of them in a row. So far my plan is to skip dinner those days; one day will be like a 16 hour fast, a 23 hour fast in the middle,and one day will be like a 30 hour fast. I prefer to eat dinner at home, being home and not having dinner is a psychological thing. Tonite I will try a nice long dog walk to cope!

I ordered keto stix just to see if I do reach ketosis after my 23 hour fasts.
I am sure exercise will help with that, too.

Cindy
Old 07-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #140  
Brandi

S/C/G: 432 / 369 / 177

Height: 5 ' 7

Well, I have a confession to make. I've been stalking this forum, lurking around, and finally decided to post This thread especially! You all have inspired me so much! I've lost 29 lbs. cutting carbs starting in January of this year, but have stayed stuck at my 403 lb. mark for a while!

When I saw this thread I decided to do some research, and I was quite shocked at the evidence of this working!

I had always been told to eat 6 small meals a day so I can fire up my metabolism, and that a starving body is a sluggish body. However, I was always sluggish despite forcing my self to eat something when I woke up.

I decided to give IF a try because of the videos and articles regarding it. I didn't want to do the 18:6, I wanted to do 20:4! (I am in serious pain under my breasts & belly because of my fat, and I am desperate!)

I work 5 days a week from 12pm-8pm, and hated breakfast anyway. Today is my 3rd day of IF 20:4, and I have SO much energy!!!! I do get a little hungry around 4pm, but I knaw on some sunflower seeds, or have a dill pickle (5 calories), and my hunger passes Meal time is 8:30 and boy do I enjoy it!!

I'm alternating days to High Carb then Low Carb because I love variety in my life, and if I'm fasting for 20 hours, well, I might as well truly love the dinner when it's time to eat! My first meal was Low carb, and yesterday's was High carb. Tonight I shall have a juicy steak nomnomnom

Haven't weighed in yet, but plan on weighing in tomorrow. I can say I feel much lighter though, and FULL of ENERGY!

Last edited by beddy77; 07-22-2016 at 02:40 PM.
beddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:04 PM   #141  
Started 4th of July

Hey Beddy,,,,welcome, welcome

I was also amazed at the research about 1f and especially listening to Dr. Jason Fung and Butter bob. For those stuggling with pre-diabetes and diabetes the stats are amazing. And of course the weight loss. I got the pre-diabetes verdict and have been wanting to totally reverse it. It appears fasting will do that.

I will weigh in tomorrow with you. I've regained from a vacation and may not be at 170,,,,,but I will soon be there!

All aboard the rest of you IFers we need each other!
Old 07-23-2016, 09:04 AM   #142  

Welcome cindy and beddy, and hello to everyone else!

I am sorry I have been MIA; just have had a lot going on.

As I mentioned previously, I am getting ready to go out of town and between trying to get ahead on some things, I also have had to do the inevitable shopping. Still haven't finished.

I'm still sticking to the one meal, but I've not been as good about the HFLC as I should. Hopefully I can get back on track after my trip. Right now I'm holding my own - not any significant weight loss as far as I can tell (for the new people to the thread just an FYI - I don't get on the scale) but no weight gain either.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:35 AM   #143  
Brandi

oh..my...goodness!398!!! 5 lbs down, and today's the 4th day

I'm actually a little shocked because I ate A LOT last night including mac & cheese, steak, and ice cream. I went to bed with a sh!t eating grin plastered on my face lol. I was going to go low carb, but I couldn't help myself. Looks like my 20:4 is working very well with my body!

I cannot let go of my sugar free french vanilla creamer with my iced coffee during the day though, I don't think any diet will ever take that away from me. haha.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:21 PM   #144  
Started 4th of July

Hi Maven,,,,

Hi Cindy and Beddy and Awesome Beddy!

So I'm almost down to my 170 and will stick with the zero carb for a while, but I'm not doing as good at the fasting as you all yet. I'm gonna try and make it 18 hours today, but we will see. The zero carb is helping me get back to siggy.....
Old 07-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #145  

Default interesting side effect

So my preferred meal is dinner, but socially sometimes I need to eat lunch as my one meal a day. Today was one of those....I am soooo tired it is not even funny. Seriously want a nap. This week I had 3 work lunches, and I was tired then, too. I even caved and had dinner one night (as well as lunch that day, Thursday). I guess I am now used to the post meal insulin crash being at bedtime.

KetoStix were a bust. It said I has trace ketones when I tested 23 hours into a fast, as well as 2 hours post meal. I am not low carbing things, so I think its safe to say I am not ketogenic during my daily fasts.

Thinking next weekend of doing a 3 day fast. Basically, not eating friday or saturday dinner. My work week won't be affected, and I have books all lined up to read and baseball games to watch. Should be interesting to see if I make it!
Old 07-23-2016, 10:26 PM   #146  
Brandi

Good job Cindy & FinallyFree!

"There's more than one way to skin a cat, and that includes the diet cat". lol. I read that in an IF article the other night. Just do what fits you best!

I cannot eat during the day, I would probably be so hungry after a few hours of eating, and so sleepy too. I love me some dill pickles though because they pretty much are good for any diet. I have one around 3:30 or 4 when I can feel the hunger getting up there. After that, it passes, and wow do I get "high"! I get so much energy, I'm hyper focused, and feel such an euphoric state during the day! Then come 8:30-9:30pm I pig out on whatever I want until I'm satisfied. It feels great! Just had a corn dog and huge helping of Hamburger Helper. nomnomnom
Old 07-24-2016, 01:27 PM   #147  

So Insanity Max 30 was a prime special of the day a while back.
My copy is supposed to arrive sometime this week.
SO I guess I will start after my weekend fast.

A few years back I did the original Insanity. Lost some weight (mostly my gut), very high impact so I sold it.

I am recovering from some repetitive stress in my arm, so I have limited my weight work for months. I really hope this helps, as I have not lost much is any weight so far on this journey (I would guess I have been doing this for 4 weeks with one VERY clean non IF week in the middle). I know the whole point is to loose wight slowly and get a better relationship with food, but people usually goon about how easy and quick it is...

I am 5'4", 42, 165 lbs. I was at 145 for years, and as low as 120 in my late 20's/early 30's when I was working 2 jobs and eating one typical SAD meal a day unintentionally.

Cindy
Old 07-24-2016, 05:03 PM   #148  
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_975 View Post
So Insanity Max 30 was a prime special of the day a while back.
My copy is supposed to arrive sometime this week.
SO I guess I will start after my weekend fast.

A few years back I did the original Insanity. Lost some weight (mostly my gut), very high impact so I sold it.

I am recovering from some repetitive stress in my arm, so I have limited my weight work for months. I really hope this helps, as I have not lost much is any weight so far on this journey (I would guess I have been doing this for 4 weeks with one VERY clean non IF week in the middle). I know the whole point is to loose wight slowly and get a better relationship with food, but people usually goon about how easy and quick it is...

I am 5'4", 42, 165 lbs. I was at 145 for years, and as low as 120 in my late 20's/early 30's when I was working 2 jobs and eating one typical SAD meal a day unintentionally.

Cindy
Good luck on the Max 30! At my weight, it's all I can do to complete basic chores, and do some calisthenics in bed. I used to lose a LOT of weight doing the elliptical at the gym, but that was when I was younger and about 200 lbs. lighter. That, and tae-bo was my thing! Wishing you lots of success Cindy!

Today, and tomorrow is my true test of 20:4 because I'm off work, and have nothing to distract me. I'm not really hungry yet, and only have 4 1/2 hours left till my meal, so I think I'll be fine today
Old 07-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #149  

I totally get the challenge of being at home and not eating
When I'm at work, I can skip lunch without too much trouble. I am hungry for dinner, but have distractions (and plenty of tea) to get me through it.

I think I am/have been a huge boredom eater on the weekends and evenings.
I wonder how long before we can 'break' that habit? I mean that if we get used to not eating even when we are hungry, not eating when we aren't hungry should be easier? I sure hope so!

Good Luck!

I have always been athletic, so exercise is easy/fun for me. It doesn't really help me much with weight loss, but helps me maintain. I have a huge fitness DVD library and work out at home mostly. Used to be a swimmer, but pool fees are pretty high were I live so I built a home gym.

Calisthenics and stretching are very important, Some of my favorite DVDS actually....also helps with stress
Old 07-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #150  
Brandi

Exactly! I am pretty hungry right now, but have a LOT of energy! I'm just going to tell myself how much fat I'm burning right now, and breaking the fast is not too far away! couple more hours, I can do this !