General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Lightbulb Smoothies?

I really want to re-format my diet a little bit and I'm looking into prepping smoothies on Sundays to drink for breakfast. Because I eat multiple times a day I'm not worried about still being hungry.

Does anybody else here make smoothies for breakfast? I think I'd like to try a green smoothie but I'm scared that I'll be able to taste the spinach or whatever in it and I won't want to drink it.

I was considering making one with mixed berries and plain greek yogurt flavored with honey. I thought about throwing some avocado in there since I know those are great for healthy fats but I don't like the taste. Does this sound like a good one, or should I add something else to it?

I also want to have a variety of smoothies so I don't get bored. I don't want to make one with protein powder or anything like that in it. Just straight up fruit/veggies/yogurt/nuts/seeds?
mrslovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Once you get used to smoothies you'll love them. Believe me, you can't taste spinach even if you put a lot in.

I would not make smoothies for the whole week. It has to be made fresh, otherwise the vegetables lose their freshness and optimal nutrients sitting around in the fridge. You will also need some liquid otherwise it becomes a big clump. You can use milk, coconut water, almond milk, carrot juice, whatever you have. I used water. You can also add a little peanut butter or yogurt to add protein.

If you get used to putting honey in your smoothies you'll get used to that sugar and then you might as well be eating dessert. Don't start off with sugar because the calories creep up really fast with fruits.

My favorite smoothies are banana/parley/flaxseed and water. Or spinach/berries/cucumber.

Other than that I stick to green juices made from spinach, wheatgrass, Apple, celery, cucumber and parsley. That little bit of Apple adds soooo much sweetness.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:19 PM   #3  

I take a cup of frozen blueberries, 1/2 of a sliced up frozen banana, 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1/2 cup cold water, 1/2 cup raw spinach and a Tablespoon of ground flax seed. So good and so healthy.
Toni48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #4  
stop wishing, start doing

S/C/G: 215/185/155

Height: 5'7

If you want to prep them ahead of time I would suggest putting all the ingredients (spinach leaves, fruit, etc.) in a baggie and freezing it. That way you won't lose the nutrition value and all you'll have to do is dump it into the blender and add liquid. Smoothies are extremely versatile!! I have ground flax seeds and chia seeds to add to mine which provides protein and fiber. Another thing I like to do is blend up a whole bag of spinach with water and freeze that into ice cubes to they are ready to pop into the smoothie. Avocado is a great addition to smoothies because it will add a bit of creaminess to it that is just perfect. I would suggest starting with flavors that you love whatever that may be - mango, pineapple, apple, banana, cherries, strawberries, pear, kiwi. Adding fruit that you like will help you get accustomed to the green you add to the smoothie.
xopeaceandlovexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #5  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

if there is a tropical smoothie cafe near you try there Avocolada it's really good and the Totally Green smoothie I like also. My son like a berry one that has oatmeal in it. You can also google their menu for ideas. I like all of the ones I've tried. I don't do the ones with juice because of the sugar content and the fruit adds enough sweetness for me that is
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Smoothie addict here!!!
JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7

I've been doing smoothies for years and it's pretty crazy how quickly my tastebuds adapt to certain vegetables that I could not stand.

Ginger is the only one that I can't overcome.
dhathaway739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:58 AM   #8  

Smoothieeee... I prepare with anything I get. Breakfast smoothie gives an amazing energy to get going.
genie2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/180/140

I love apples and this smoothie is very tasty indeed!
AMAZING APPLE SMOOTHIE

2 cups apple sauce
1 cup apple cider
1 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons Vermont maple syrup 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg

1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.

This smooth recipe is delish, easy to make and so nutritious
AnneNewton is offline   Reply With Quote