General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

Default Are there any whole food plant based here?

Looking for support and comradery!
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:26 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 2"

I am doing Dr. Joel Fuhrman " Eat To Live". His recommendation is a whole food plant based diet but he does allows minimal animal protein.
nuumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:12 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Not completely plant based, but I do eat mostly organic and think a lot like Michael Pollan... "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants" (his meaning is real food, not processed food-like substances). I eat very little red meat but do eat chicken, cheese, tuna, etc.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
Not completely plant based, but I do eat mostly organic and think a lot like Michael Pollan... "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants" (his meaning is real food, not processed food-like substances). I eat very little red meat but do eat chicken, cheese, tuna, etc.
Same!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #5  

I'm interested in Eat to Live, it's on a long list I have for this lifestyle that I'd like to read. I have a hard time with this I started at the beginning of March and I travel a lot that month into the beginning of April for meetings and conferences, there was so much food and goodies it was hard to stay on track. Once that was done I just gave up meat, dairy, oil and processed foods completely. At first I did great and now I'm having slip up s again, I had to travel last week and I'll have to do another travel in about 2 weeks. Last week I had dairy and a little bit of meat. So trying to stay more focused right now. I do more starch with potatoes and rice, no overly much because I felt like it was making my belly fat bigger but trying to find the right balance for myself right now. I've always had a sweet tooth and some days it's hard to not crave those and give in. But it's a work in progress. I've never felt more healthy and energetic as I have in the last two months. Also I've lost 10lbs in the last two months more easily that in all the years I've been trying to change my diet.

Last edited by SnowboundChick; 06-07-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:10 AM   #6  

Snowbound Chick if you can watch one of Dr. Fuhrman's more recent lectures on UTube you may enjoy it. He's really funny,too in some of his lectures.He writes the way he lectures,with passion for what he believes in. I think when we are transitioning from the standard diet to one that is plant based it can be difficult.There are so many social pressures and outside influences. Rarely can we be 100 percent all the time..though I would like to be.I would say 80 percent of the time is good.It has to be even harder when you have to travel but it sounds like you are doing well.. You mentioned liking sweets.. dates and fruit is so good.. I found some great brownie recipes. One recipe found in the "End Of Dieting" book Cocoa, Black Beans, Dates, and Almond Butter with Avocado Date Cocoa Frosting. I used a little bit of honey to make the frosting sweeter. These keep well in the refrigerator. I found a blonde brownie recipe online using Chickpeas, but I haven't tried that one yet. I have found there is sweetness in vegetables that I didn't know was there. Now that my taste buds have changed it is like an awakening!

I am just getting back on track after taking a break to use up some shake mix.I don't like waste and feel like I am throwing away my money if I don't use it. Yesterday i had a great salad for lunch with greens, black beans, red onions, cucumbers, walnuts, and flax seeds. I took a green smoothie to work with spinach, apple, cilantro, and half of a cucumber in it. It is so refreshing. I like to have it for breakfast once in awhile ,too. I have trouble at night after work.

With time there will be progress.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
Same!
It is working! This is the first time in my life I have maintained my weight loss for three years. Now I am back and working to get off a few more pounds and make it to Onederland, but in the past I have always just gained back what I lost and more. My recent extensive blood work -- complete nutritional evaluation -- and heart check up came back... quote from doctor's assistant... "absolutely fabulous!"

Old 06-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
It is working! This is the first time in my life I have maintained my weight loss for three years. Now I am back and working to get off a few more pounds and make it to Onederland, but in the past I have always just gained back what I lost and more. My recent extensive blood work -- complete nutritional evaluation -- and heart check up came back... quote from doctor's assistant... "absolutely fabulous!"

Misti in Seattle ..I LOVE Seattle. My husband and I were fortunate to be able to take a short trip a few years ago to see parts of Washington..Bremertin Naval Ship Yards,, whale watching, Mount Ranier, Seattle. The trip was way too short.

I wanted to ask you,which of Michael Pollan books do you think is the best? I am always researching, exploring new avenues and I like to read about nutrition. Many times I have found great recipes, too.

I often wonder if I will ever see "Onederland " again. My weight seems to be frozen, I think because of all the low calorie diets I have been on. The goalI have right now is to maintain good health, and hopefully heal my body enough that it will finally give up the weight.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuumee View Post
Misti in Seattle ..I LOVE Seattle. My husband and I were fortunate to be able to take a short trip a few years ago to see parts of Washington..Bremertin Naval Ship Yards,, whale watching, Mount Ranier, Seattle. The trip was way too short.

I wanted to ask you,which of Michael Pollan books do you think is the best? I am always researching, exploring new avenues and I like to read about nutrition. Many times I have found great recipes, too.

I often wonder if I will ever see "Onederland " again. My weight seems to be frozen, I think because of all the low calorie diets I have been on. The goalI have right now is to maintain good health, and hopefully heal my body enough that it will finally give up the weight.
Hi. So glad you enjoyed your visit here. I am actually in a suburb just one mile outside Seattle city limits and love it here. One really nice thing is that we have PCC Natural Markets, where we can get delicious, whole, organic foods, etc.

Hmmmm about Michael Holland's books and a favorite. Tough choice... but he has a LOT of videos about them which you can watch for free on YouTube. If I had to pick a favorite I guess it would be "Food Rules" because they are so simple and easy to remember. I think there are 64 of them... small phrases such as "Never eat anything your grandparents would not recognize as food" and "Never eat anything you see advertised on TV." The "overall" one is "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants" [meaning real food rather than food-like substances). I don't think I am allowed to post a link here but if you type "Food Rules Michael Pollan" into YouTube there are videos.

Earlier I tried to start a thread discussing Michael Pollan's work (and that of others similar) but there did not seem to be much interest. Perhaps we could start one to discuss it if you are interested.'

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 06-11-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:13 AM   #10  

Height: 5'3"

I believing in eating the correct amount of food with the nutrients that you need every day.
But ofcourse there are times to feel to eat more

Hello, I am just new here and I am glad I signed up.
clover_nev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #11  

Hello and welcome Clover!
Old 06-14-2016, 12:26 PM   #12  

Right now I'm trying to find the balance in my eating. There are so many options it seems. I'm reading The Starch Solution by Dr. McDougall and How to Reverse Diabetes by Dr. Neal Barnard. It's slow going. In the mean time I've found a couple of facebook groups and a whole lotta youtube channels. I'd like to finish the books though to get a real understanding of the plans they have and the science behind it.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #13  

Height: 6-1.5

I don't strictly follow a daily "plan," but I do use McDougall's HSLF and also add a lot of raw vegetables to the plan. 100% vegan. I am in the 300 range myself. That is some remarkable weight loss so far Snowboundchick (Also Misti In Seattle). I really just started eating this way last week. Before that I was adding lots of oil to everything, and frying everything. I think I was fooling myself. I went for blood work, and most of my results came back perfect. The only "slight elevation" was colesterol, but it was not high enough to merit action. My blood pressure is also high, but I am hoping once I lose weight and get to a safe healthy weight, I will not have high blood pressure any more. The thing I was the most worried about was being found pre-diabetic or diabetic, but it did not happen (). I feel I am living on borrowed time though, and unless I drop at least 100 pounds, (I should lose 150) it might happen.

Last edited by giselley; 06-24-2016 at 11:49 AM.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #14  

I've just been winging it so far. I haven't had time to finish the books and I need to make that a priority but somehow exercise became my priority. I am diabetic so I'd like to follow the plans and see if they work for me. I've been stalled on my weight loss the last couple of weeks but getting back to it and giving up the scale for a month. My downfall is sweets, I really just have to learn to say no and I will do so much better. This week I"m concentrating on getting back on plan. I really want off my meds.

Tags
plant based, whole food