General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #1  
Grumpy Cat's my Co-Pilot

S/C/G: 279/239/150

Height: 5'3

Default Zero Calorie Noodles!

Hiya!

I'm doing a calorie counting diet along with immense physical activity!

I <3 noodles, and zero calorie ones are the best! Like Shiritaki Noodles, NoOodles, Pasta Zero, Miracle Noodle, etc.

I was wondering if any one else did low cal noodles, and if anyone had a website where they get them in bulk, cheap. The lowest I've found is $2.20/bag (Usually 7oz), but I hear of places to get 16oz for $1.50, but have yet to find them.

Thanks for any suggestions

tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w5EqmKB/weight.png

Last edited by Caiterz; 01-21-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Caiterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #2  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Have you tried doing Zoodles (spiralized zucchini)? There are thousands of recipes out there for ways to fix them.

Also, I realize these aren't zero calorie - but the other day I came across Edamame noodles at Costco. I passed on them at the time but think I might try them next trip. They have a LOT of protein and fiber.
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #3  
Grumpy Cat's my Co-Pilot

S/C/G: 279/239/150

Height: 5'3

I have not, but its a good idea!

Do Zucchini noodles get REALLY soft if you cook them long enough?

I have insane texture issues, and if there's any crunch at all, instant gag

But something to try for sure! Thanks so much for that suggestion
Caiterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:41 PM   #4  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Yep, they do get soft Actually, I'm just the opposite with texture issues so foods that are too soft do the same to me as crunch does to you. I have to be careful with the zoodles to not overcook them.

The little handheld spiralizers are a wonderful thing. We found for us though that we were using it a LOT and it's quite a workout if you're doing more crunchy veggies like carrots. We invested in a Paderno Spiralizer and use it at least a few times a week.

There are a ton of recipes out the but a good place to start is this one
http://inspiralized.com/category/zucchini/
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 1400 calories a day

Have you tried speghetti squash? I think they're delicious and you can serve them just like speghetti, with sauch and cheese. I cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out pulp, place squash face down in a roaster pan with about 2 inches water and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. If there is a slight crunch, bake longer. Speghetti squash is very low in calories.
Teddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/185/135

Height: 5'2

Caiterz, how do you cook your zero-calorie noodles? I have a package and not sure what to do with it.
LettuceDoThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettuceDoThis View Post
Caiterz, how do you cook your zero-calorie noodles? I have a package and not sure what to do with it.
I've been buying them for probably 15 years from my local Asian grocery. I find the best thing is to rinse and dry them really well, then dry fry them in a pan (this is what saves the texture!) and use them in place of ramen or rice noodles. I don't like them with any Italian or creamy sauces - the texture of the noodle is much more like ramen, so it lends well to noodle bowls or stir fry (with your combo of hoisin, soy/tamari, oyster, fish, sriracha, black bean, miso, peanut/tahini, etc).
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Chickie View Post
Have you tried doing Zoodles (spiralized zucchini)? There are thousands of recipes out there for ways to fix them.

Also, I realize these aren't zero calorie - but the other day I came across Edamame noodles at Costco. I passed on them at the time but think I might try them next trip. They have a LOT of protein and fiber.
I bought the paderno 3 years ago and I use it all the time. I even have a signed copy of the inspiralized cookbook, ha!

I bought 4 more as gifts for other people over the years. We spiralizing any veggies from turnips to plantains to beets to butternut squash to celeriac. So good!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/185/135

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
I've been buying them for probably 15 years from my local Asian grocery. I find the best thing is to rinse and dry them really well, then dry fry them in a pan (this is what saves the texture!) and use them in place of ramen or rice noodles. I don't like them with any Italian or creamy sauces - the texture of the noodle is much more like ramen, so it lends well to noodle bowls or stir fry (with your combo of hoisin, soy/tamari, oyster, fish, sriracha, black bean, miso, peanut/tahini, etc).
Thank you, I will try that! I made them once and thought they were awful. But then again it was Italian style so perhaps that was my error, going to give them another try.
LettuceDoThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #10  
Garmin: TrixieCatLAX

S/C/G: 205.3 / 188.4 / 145.0

Height: 5'5"

Hi! I'm late to the party, but just wanted to sing the praises of my Spiralizer. My husband HATES zucchini, but has been really loving zucchini noodles. He's like a baby when it comes to zucchini and kale.

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative ways to use kale other than in smoothies and soup? I can start a new thread if that makes more sense. Thanks!
TrixieCatLAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #11  

Glad I came across this thread, I love noodles! ( :
qualityinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 470 / 430 / 150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
Wow, I find this this to be extremely helpful! I tried shirataki noodles with a homemade marinara sauce, and while it was definitely edible, I had to kind of blank out a bit to eat it, because the texture was so unexpected. But I've been eating ramen since I was a kid, and I looooove ramen! I'll try pairing the shirataki noodles with some Asian flavors instead and see if that's any different. Thanks!
RubySnacks is offline   Reply With Quote