General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #376  

Palestrina, that is for the link. I added it to the thread I started here because it isn't in this part of the forum, but I also added to the old thread.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #377  

Palestrina, I hope your cleanse helps! Keep us updated.

I started a new job at a restaurant as a hostess. Its only a few days a week for the lunch shift. Anyway, Im in the middle of training right now, and part of training is that you eat your "training meal" for every training shift. There are 5 of them.

They bring out all these platters of food and you eat what you want, give some away or box it up and bring it home. Today my trainer was eating with me. We both had a little something of like 5 dishes on our plates. I was eating away when suddenly she just put her fork down in the middle of a bite and was like "that's it! I just hit my full point. bam! Im done." I looked over and she still had a lot of food on her plate. Enough that it would have been really hard for me to stop eating even if I was full. I have done pretty well on not eating all the platters but I have a hard time not eating what I put on my plate.

Anyway, it was very inspiring to see it in person. The last time I did IE successfully my roommate was naturally an IE person and she would do the same thing, just stop eating in the middle of a meal and put her fork down, regardless of the amount of food she had. It really helped to see a living example in front of me.

Also, I have started working again on waiting until I am hungry to eat. I realized that somehow I had gone back to eating when I wasn't hungry again.

I ate lunch about 5.5 hours ago, it was leftovers from my training meal. I wasn't hungry for dinner so I sat down with my kids and worked on some paperwork and drank my water. I keep forgetting that I haven't eaten dinner yet because Im still not hungry. I get kind of a panicked feeling when I think about it, like oh no when will I eat? LIke all the food will be gone and I have to eat it IMMEDIATELY and not just tommorow or the next day. ( which is totally irrational)

I was talking to my good childhood friend on Sunday. She reminded me of how I pretty much lived at her house after school and stayed for dinner almost every night because my mom did 2 things. She didn't go grocery shopping very often but she she did, she bought lots of food and then labelled it for herself only. I would come home and there would literally be cupboards of food but I was not allowed to eat anything in them. My mom had an eating disorder and barely ate so that food lasted a long time. I still remember one time I was SOOOO Hungry and I looked in our pantry. It was completely empty except for an old orange. I was so happy to find that orange and I ate it like it was the best food ever since I was so desperate. I know I have mentioned that before, but I had forgotten the severity of it. I really think that plays into my eating when Im not hungry and overeating. Even all these years later I have a fear of scarcity. I notice that when the fridge is bursting with food, I tend to eat less.

Anyway, Im still here, still working on it.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 02-02-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #378  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Nice to see you here Pinkhippie. Congrats on the new job, I love the sound of it. I used to be a hostess when I was in college and I loved it. Having kids I know it's important to be out there socializing and being around adults so kudos! I get sad every time you mention your mom. I have my own mom issues and I know how difficult it is to conduct your life without their influence.

Just wanted to vent about something - I'm feeling discriminated against at my physical therapy gym. I'm back in PT tending to my pelvic injury and it's going very well by the way. However, I'm so annoyed at all the people that work there and I just realized it's because I'm feeling rather ignored. My therapist herself is great, she spends adequate time on each of her patients. If anyone is unaware of how PT works it's basically you go in, you're walked through some exercises and stretches and then the therapist comes and does some consult and soft tissue work with you. The place is bustling with patients and with PT assistants. The assistants do the bulk of the work in terms of bringing you equipment, correcting your form etc. This place is a sports therapy type of place located inside a gym but you still get all sorts of people of all ages.

So my gripe is that the assistants spend so much time with male patients. The guy therapists do so because they're guys and they love talking about form and doing some of the difficult things. The girl therapists all spend time with the guy patients because.... well because they're flirting. I just realized that I spend my entire session doing all the exercises alone, with assistants just coming by to hand me something. Nobody socializes with me during the 1.5hrs I'm there twice a week except for the therapist who does my soft tissue work. I know it's not a big deal but I'm bummed that I get the sense that it's because I'm a middled aged fat woman that I'm being ignored.

My herbal cleanse on the other hand is going really well. My acid indigestion has already calmed down, and my energy level seems to be rising!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #379  

Thanks Palestrina! I was a hostess for 3 years before kids and I really liked it too. Also, I really like jobs where I stay fairly active. I do feel a lot better being out in the world and talking to grown ups. Well barely grown ups. lol! Everyone I work with is so young! Like early twenties. sigh...

Yep mom issues are a bummer. Im sorry you have them too. They are sad and definitely make me feel helpless.

That is great about your cleanse Palestrina! Im happy to hear your acid digestion has calmed down, I know that has caused you a lot of pain and distress.

Ugh, I know what you mean about getting ignored in an environment like that. Im sorry that is happening. On the flip side, I once stopped going to physical therapy because the male therapist was TOO attentive. It made me really uncomfortable. It didn't help that he was super attractive and flirtatious.

I actually have been thinking a lot lately about how I seem to lose weight and then feel really uncomfortable at a thinner weight so I gain about 20ish pounds. I think I worry that I won't be able to handle the attention from men, or that I will cheat on my husband or something. Which is weird, we are really happy and I am very attracted to him. but, the last time I lost my baby weight and was at my comfortable weight I got divorced and remarried, maybe subconsciously I have the fear that it will happen again? I notice when I am taking care of myself and working out that I find more men attractive and I feel more attractive myself. I would never ever act on it, my husband is my best friend and we tell each other everything. But maybe that makes me feel really uncomfortable. Anyway, random thoughts I have been having lately.

Also, last night I never ended up eating dinner. I think that is a first for me. I have this huge fear of not having dinner. But, I honestly wasn't hungry. And I didn't wake up ravenous either. I did overeat at lunch but I think I just wanted to keep eating because it tasted so good. ( It was the dinner I made last night) But, I need to take this as the learning experience and remember next time that no matter how good it tastes, the stuffed painful stomach feeling is really not worth it.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 02-03-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:02 PM   #380  

The herbal cleanse I am doing has made my physical reaction to food quite strong. It seems my hunger fullness signals are much sharper and eating sugar cause acute gastric pain. It feels like I ate too much, painfully bloated to the point of panting. It is extremely distressing and making it simpler to apply gentle nutrition, which is a principal that has always been elusive to me.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #381  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post
The herbal cleanse I am doing has made my physical reaction to food quite strong. It seems my hunger fullness signals are much sharper and eating sugar cause acute gastric pain. It feels like I ate too much, painfully bloated to the point of panting. It is extremely distressing and making it simpler to apply gentle nutrition, which is a principal that has always been elusive to me.
How long have you been doing the Prime, Palestrina? I believe you said you started it weekend before last, so just a little over a week according to my memory. That's encouraging to know that it has taken such a brief amount of time to show results. I am expecting my package today, so it is coming at a great time. Lent always motivates me to make changes that will improve my health and well-being, so it's a great time to be starting something so beneficial. I'm looking forward to it!
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:58 PM   #382  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
How long have you been doing the Prime, Palestrina? I believe you said you started it weekend before last, so just a little over a week according to my memory. That's encouraging to know that it has taken such a brief amount of time to show results. I am expecting my package today, so it is coming at a great time. Lent always motivates me to make changes that will improve my health and well-being, so it's a great time to be starting something so beneficial. I'm looking forward to it!
That's correct, I started last weekend. I haven't set out to change anything about my diet, but like I said I've become much more sensitive to food. If eating a carb heavy meal before made me feel sluggish and bloated it now makes me super sluggish, painfully bloated and panting. I'm feeling the effects much more acutely, whereas before I could tolerate the negative side effects of food easily. Last night I ate an early dinner at 5pm (no superbowl hooplah for me) of steak, broccoli and a baked potato and felt fabulous all evening. Around 10pm I got some hunger pangs and I indulged in a very small bowl of cheetos - my vice! - and I was up with indigestion half the night.

Today I had yogurt with granola and strawberries for breakfast, grilled chicken with broccoli and mashed potatoes for lunch, and we're having chili and roasted cauliflower for dinner. It's the supposed afternoon slump now and I don't feel hungry or tired. Sipping my tea contentedly and wishing my appetite would show up for some salted peanut butter I bought today!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:24 AM   #383  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

This is very good news Palestrina! Glad things are going the way you want them.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #384  

Thats great Palestrina! It sounds like things are going well.

With my new job, my eating has changed because I cannot eat from about the hours of 10:30 to between 4:30 and 5. This is 3 days a week. However, it has really put me in touch with my hunger and this week on my days off, I realized I just wanted to eat from sheer boredom and that I was not really physically hungry. I never thought I was a boredom eater, I thought I was a stress eater or a sad eater and sometimes I am but I didn't realize I ate from boredom. I always think I am ravenous between lunch and dinner but at work I don't even notice being hungry until almost dinnertime because I am so busy.

So, that was a really interesting thing to realize. I also eat after dinner for the same reason. Boredom, or a way to wind down but not for physical hunger. I am realizing how much and how often I eat/ used to eat for reasons of not being physically hungry and it is amazing to me. Slowly over time I am finding it much more pleasant to eat when I am hungry, and I also am beginning to stop eating before I am stuffed. I feel like I have been here before, but have been derailed for some reason.

Anyway, just wanted to share.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #385  

Wanted to share something I saw during news coverage of the New Hampshire primary on Tuesday -

I was watching a Tuesday morning cable news show, and one of the reporters was in a diner (naturally!) interviewing the locals about the election. He was sitting in the booth with a couple who were eating breakfast, and he asked the woman "Why didn't you eat all your toast?" She said, "Because I had no more room for it - I am finished" (or something along those lines). It wasn't really what she said as much as how she said it that really said to me that she was a true intuitive eater. She was not rude, but she almost seemed surprised that someone would even ask that...as if to say "doesn't everyone stop when they are full?"

Uh, no.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #386  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Pink Hippie, I rarely skip lunch if I'm at home, but if I'm out shopping or something I never think of stopping for lunch.

SouthernMaven, DH eats like that all the time. Never finishes everything on his plate. Doesn't even eat all his dessert.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #387  

Wannabehealthy, I have noticed that too for myself. In some ways a lot of hunger seems like a very mental thing.

I feel like a switch has been flipped in my head. Im not sure why or how. I know I have still been doing emotional/psychological work about my past, my eating etc... I notice now when I eat, slowly over time I don't have that feeling that I must stuff myself and feel very full before I declare a meal done. I don't have that feeling of fear or of franticness that I absolutely must be full before I leave my meal.

I noticed that today when I ate breakfast. I waited until I was physically hungry, ( I also don't have the overwhelming anxiety when I wait to feel physically hungry that I used to have)
and sat down to eat. As I was eating i noticed that I no longer felt hungry. I didn't feel stuffed, in fact my stomach felt pretty neutral. I was done. I left a bite on my plate. I realized that I didn't feel that strong anxiety that I normally feel when I stop eating before I clean my plate or if I stop eating before I am REALLY full. I hope these changes stick, because I feel so much better physically.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 02-14-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #388  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I haven't checked in in awhile, it's great to see all of you doing so well!

I haven't thought about diets, or weight, or even my jean size in..oh gosh, since the holidays. Which feels great

I've been doing so well, I decided to do something awesome for myself and I signed up for a fabfitfun box. Why not reward myself and take care of me from time to time?
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:43 AM   #389  

Great to see you Owl & Pink.

Glad everyone is doing well. I am also.

Palestrina, I do think your PT issue is a big deal. I think it is inexcusable for them just to leave you. Never mind the social aspect, you are there to correctly strengthen and repair an injury. That means that the movement must be done in a very specific way. They need to monitor you. It is their job! If you want to exercise unsupervised, you can go to a gym and not pay the PT premium.

I would definitely say something!

(())s

Last edited by beginme; 02-17-2016 at 08:44 AM.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:43 PM   #390  

Nice to see you Owl and Beginme! Great updates!

So, last night I got some very distressing news about my mom. I was not physically hungry but I sat and ate some of a giant valentine Reeses heart that I had actually had wrapped up and uneaten since valentines day. I felt SOOO good while I was eating it. Like, such amazing relief and just feeling good.

When I was done I didn't eat so much to get a sore stomach or anything, but later I was aware that my head was kind of "muzzy" and I felt off. I didn't feel guilty or berate myself or worry about weight or anything, just focused on the physical aspect.

I had to deal with some more upsetting stuff this morning and I ate a bowl of cereal. A bowl of sugary cereal, not usually something I do. Once again I couldn't believe how amazing I felt while I was eating it. Like, so happy! And like pure joy. And then when I was done my head felt weird again. So, I actually only ate one small bowl because I didn't like that feeling.

I don't know if I have ever actually consciously and awarely tuned in to the pure joy and happiness that emotional eating gives me. I think Im usually too busy thinking about how I shouldn't be eating but Im going to anyway. It was really interesting. I also felt complete freedom and I reveled in it. Like, Im eating whatever I want freedom.

But, then I don't feel good afterwards so I don't know if that pure joyful feeling is worth the aftermath. However, I can't think of another thing that makes me feel that way except when Im drunk. being totally honest here. I don't drink very often but if I get nicely buzzed I feel exactly the same way. happy, free, and joyful. Sometimes listening to really good music that I love makes me feel that way too. Something to ponder.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 02-17-2016 at 12:45 PM.