General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:24 AM   #241  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkhippie View Post
Im glad the weigh down method is helping you. It seems there is some emphasis on weight loss so I don't think it would work for me, but everyone is different and Im glad you have found something to help keep you off the dieting rollercoaster. It's true, diets do not help us. A very vivid example of gouged out eyes and such but I see where they were going. Im glad we are all here to support each other.
Thanks. I don't want to use Weigh Down as just another thing that can become more like a diet. The book Thin Within warns not to let the suggestions in the book become rules because if you do then it just becomes another diet plan and it will fail. So I feel the same way about Weigh Down. I don't follow her ideas 100% when eating a meal because I don't want to feel I have to do something that would become a rule. After all, our foods we like etc make us more of an individual. Plus I like to have an idea of what I want to eat each day or may want to eat so that I don't have to spend a lot of time having to figure out what I want to eat on the spur of the moment. So some of my own personality and likes/dislikes enters into how I do this.

I did find today that knowing how our body uses fuel we eat and the extra fuel we carry did help me a whole lot. For some reason, I think I'm beginning to get the fact that there really isn't any good/bad foods. We went to eat at Chili's today. I usually get an appetizer and DH gets a lunch plate and we share. I ended up eating between half to 3/4s of the appetizer and found that only 1 and 1/2 of one of his crispers and about 5 or 6 bites of fries were very satisfying. There was a time I would have brought home the leftovers, but I decided that I didn't want it. Felt so good to enjoy just what I wanted and leave what I didn't and no guilt feelings. I ended up eating only 3 meals (breakfast was about 1/2 of what I normally would eat) and I never even thought about eating any snacks tonight.

I told DH I didn't eat between meals or snack tonight. He said, "I did". We both need to be eating less. On the way home today, I had shared with him how I'm trying to eat now so I told him, "Well, I did good today. I don't know what I will do tomorrow. I hope I will do well tomorrow, but I am just going to take this One Day at a Time. I've decided that by thinking of this long term might not be a wise thing for me to do.

I too am so grateful that we are all here to support each other. It really helps to see what others are learning. I surely do not have all the answers. I just share what I am learning hoping that as I share that it will help others as well as me.

I also like what you shared with Palestrina what you learned from reading your old posts. I bet if I did the same thing that I would find that I probably have a pattern of IE for a while and then fall back to diet over and over again. This time watching the video and hearing some of the things others experienced, I've been able to see myself having the tendency each day to go back to a diet. My beautician was telling me Saturday what one of the other beauticians was doing and how much weight she has lost and I spent the weekend thinking I needed to do that which may have caused my weekend of feasting. But I listened to the video and decided to continue with IE. I really believe learning to follow the body's signals will help me eventually lose weight because I won't be so focused on food all the time. Of course my #1 goal right now is to balance my blood sugar and according to the WD video following your hunger signals will balance it as well as give us other health benefits as well. Of course she doesn't call it IE, but it really is.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #242  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

Patty- the idea of "doing good" and "doing well" seems to be a very diet oriented mentality. Also the statement of "we both need to be eating less". If you're hungry, you're hungry.

As for knowing what you like to eat each day, I sort've just eat the same meals. I did this when I lost weight (part of calorie counting) and I found that it really works for me. I genuinely like having the same sorts of foods for breakfast and lunch.

But dinner, what I do is I make a "menu". It's usually healthy things. And I never write a day on it. Just a general menu. So the idea is we can look at it like a restaurant and pick something. But there are some nights that we go out. And I eat what I like and however much I like.

I truly believe that for IE to work, you can't want to lose weight. It can't be. But the idea of being healthy. To me that works.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:23 PM   #243  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsteazombies View Post
As for knowing what you like to eat each day, I sort've just eat the same meals. I did this when I lost weight (part of calorie counting) and I found that it really works for me. I genuinely like having the same sorts of foods for breakfast and lunch.
I have a friend who has lost a tremendous amount of weight dieting and has kept it off for a couple of years. I'm convinced that she is able to do this because she eats the same meals day after day and never gets sick of it. Same breakfast, same lunch and then dinner is a rotation of 5 or 6 dishes. To me it's an unbearable routine that doesn't fit into my personality, I would go crazy doing this. But she's fine, she loves it and does not like change so it has worked out for her.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:04 AM   #244  

Hi guys!

I've been actually doing very well . I weigh myself every day and it might sound counterintuitive, but seeing that the weight goes up and down every day (especially when I know I've eaten as my body has wanted) makes me ease up on the fluctuations. My weight has become less important to me and not such a big deal.

My body is a very complicated (and beautiful!) machine and if it doesn't need my help to heal a wound, it certainly doesn't need me to get to/maintain a bodyweight that is good for me and it.

I've made my food decisions based on what my head would like and what my body would like and made some compromises, so that both are mostly satisfied.
I think meditating has helped me a lot and now I started "30 days of yoga with Adrienne". It's a free yoga challenge and you can find it in Youtube. It's very gentle and it suits beginners well. It's like meditation with movement. It also supports intuitive eating, because it's about being present in your body and listening to it. I'm single and don't have any kids yet, but I'd think that this would benefit a lot of mothers and fathers, because it's just 20-30 minutes a day and it is so relaxing. My heart smiles after the session every time.

I watched a couple of the Weigh Down videos and I actually kinda liked them, even though I'm not a Christian. I'm very spiritual though and I realize I've craved that special connection or wholeness, just like she's talking about focusing on God and letting him fill your heart. Like I said, I'm not religious at all, but that thought clicked somewhere in me and I have meditated on that quite a lot.

Yes I've also lost a bit of weight , but now I really just want to be present in my body, accepting it and treating it with love and filling it's needs (and that includes eating when it needs nourishment). Not ever dieting again is fabulous, because this has opened so much space in my life for more important things. I'm young and a whole life ahead of me still and it's great that I'm at this place so early.

No more zoning out with TV, food or anything else. I want to be mindful about my experience. I just read a study yesterday, which said that people who embrace "the bad" feelings are much more happier and less depressed. I've found that when I let myself feel sad or angry and just sit with those feelings, not judging, just observing, they tend to clear out fast. And bad feelings are nothing to be feared.

I hope you all a good day!
beeonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #245  

Quote:
owlsteazombies the idea of "doing good" and "doing well" seems to be a very diet oriented mentality. Also the statement of "we both need to be eating less". If you're hungry, you're hungry.

I truly believe that for IE to work, you can't want to lose weight. It can't be. But the idea of being healthy. To me that works.
I don't see "doing good" and "doing well" as diet terms for me, but I will be watchful of it. As for "DH and me eating less" even with IE if you don't pay attention to your body's signals when it is telling you it is satisfied and doesn't want any more food then IE isn't working. It has just become an excuse to binge and overeat. The Intuitive Eating books basic rules are
1. When you are hungry eat.
2. Eat what you want not what you think you should eat.
3. Savor every bite.
4. Stop when you are satisfied.

When I'm doing IE correctly... this is how I do it. I like the one thing I read somewhere about IE and that is "If you eat when you are not hungry, you just over ate."

I'm sorry but I disagree that IE is not about losing weight. Especially not for DH and me as we are both diabetics 2. When I get my weight below 200 lbs, I will no longer be diabetic. DH diabetes is a little different than mine and I am not sure he will ever be rid of it as his was probably caused by medication not weight. So it goes back to the idea that everyone has individual reasons for IE.

I ate IE before there was such a thing as IE. It was how I ate until I was I went to live with an aunt in my 20s. When she insisted on 3 meals by the clock, I gained weight so she introduced me to "diets" and the "diet cycle" began. Every time I've been able to eat "my way" which is IE, my weight came back down. Now I'm in the process of trying to get rid of the "diet mentality" and eat the way my body likes which just so happens to be a combination of IE/IF. BTW I was extremely healthy when I ate Intuitively. I just wish that I had known that the way I ate was healthy and acceptable. If I had I NEVER would have fell for their stupid "normal" way of eating of 3 meals a day by the clock. Never ate breakfast as a child. Only ate 2 meals a day back then. That is what I'm trying to train my body to get back to.

Maybe you are right. Maybe I'm not a true Intuitive Eater because I want to lose weight, but my wanting to lose weight is because I NEED to lose the weight to be healthy and I do not believe I have to diet to do it. I KNOW from experience that eating Intuitively will make me thin if I re-learn to work with my body I will lose weight and be healthy.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #246  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Pattygirl everyone's experiences with IE are understandably different. IE was not developed as a weightloss program though people can or may lose weight on it. The exertion of control over what you eat and how you eat may be part of your own personal journey but it is not advocated by IE. Putting weightloss aside is indeed a tenet of IE. That doesn't mean you're not a "real IEer" and this is not a contest, there is no finish line with IE. IE simply means making peace with food and embracing your body as it is. I understand what you mean about eating less, overall I should be eating less because I eat more than my body really needs. I'm using IE to get there whereas if I impose the rule of "eat less" arbitrarily it does backfire on me. IE is the safe way to go.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #247  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I would like to chime in with my 2 cents, for what it's worth. I believe that IE was started originally because so many people were having trouble losing and maintaining their loss, and binge eating caused by deprivation had a lot to do with it. So someone (Janeen Roth?) put a name to it and most people doing it do want to lose weight. I googled IE and these 3 sites came up.

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2011...d-weight-loss/

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight...ve-eating.aspx

https://experiencelife.com/article/i...r-weight-loss/

So apparently not everyone feels that IE is not for weight loss.

People can say that they are "doing good" if they successfully waited for hunger before eating, or stopped when they were satisfied instead of finishing everything.

Some people are satisfied with their body the way it is, and there's nothing wrong with that, but others want to lose weight to feel better and be healthier, and want to us IE as a tool toward that goal. Nothing wrong with that, either.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #248  
Fear does not = fate

I think the point I'm driving at is that it can be very easy to unwillingly fall into a diet mentality while thinking that you're following IE.

I did that for awhile and realized I was restricting myself by telling myself I was "satisfied". I wasn't. I was telling myself in the back of my mind that I was cool with having a few bites of something. That I need to eat less to maintain a weight loss. That I need to watch my hunger cues to not gain weight. Weight. Weight Weight. It's all still there.

How hungry am I? How hungry am I not? Am I satisfied? How many bites did I take? How long do I have to sit here and look at my food and think about it? It's very easy to look at all of these and not realize how much thought you're putting into it. How much power you're giving food and how it controls you.

Intuition is just that. You don't think about it. Also, it's a projection on my part. I find words like "doing good" very triggering. It sends me into a personal cycle of reflection and how I need to be doing better. It's really not about the other person. It's about my struggle with a disease.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #249  

Eating when you're hungry and stopping when you're satisfied are not natural for a person who has an eating disorder. So you have be pay attention to it at least in the beginning until it becomes habit. If you don't, then you're just eating when you want to and stopping when you want to. JMO
Old 11-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #250  
Fear does not = fate

Eating when you want to and stopping when you want to seems pretty intuitive. But you're right. I'm extremely broken and I still severely restrict.

I've tried the hunger scale technique. I've been there. I've read all the books I can on IE.

If you've come from years and years of dieting and restriction, and have a tendency towards ED, either Binge eating, Bulima, Anorexia or even the broad spectrum EDNOS, you're going to take these "rules" that come with IE and bend them to your weight loss needs. And thus the dieting cycle continues - though unwillingly and in a lot of cases unknowingly.

I'm by far not criticizing anyone or saying anyone is wrong. I just know the road I've been down and still catch myself veering towards on a daily basis. I'm a warning light on a dangerous bridge.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:15 PM   #251  

But IE is not eating when you want, it's eating when you're hungry. There's a difference and it takes control to do it, even though IE is not supposed to be about controlling your eating. That's the point I'm trying to make. It's the way a normal person eats, but I can speak only for myself that I didn't get to 200 lbs by eating like a normal person. In order to start eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm satisfied I have to exercise control until it starts to be second nature. It's similar to dieting, except you don't have to restrict what you're eating, but you do have to restrict when and how much and it's restriction all the same. I don't think there are too many posters on 3FC who are not trying to lose weight. IE is just one other tool.

I'm sorry that you're broken and I hope you find a way to fix things. I can't help you because we don't see eye to eye, but will have to just agree to disagree.

Good luck to you.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:06 AM   #252  

Quote:
I think the point I'm driving at is that it can be very easy to unwillingly fall into a diet mentality while thinking that you're following IE.

I did that for awhile and realized I was restricting myself by telling myself I was "satisfied". I wasn't. I was telling myself in the back of my mind that I was cool with having a few bites of something. That I need to eat less to maintain a weight loss. That I need to watch my hunger cues to not gain weight. Weight. Weight Weight. It's all still there.

How hungry am I? How hungry am I not? Am I satisfied? How many bites did I take? How long do I have to sit here and look at my food and think about it? It's very easy to look at all of these and not realize how much thought you're putting into it. How much power you're giving food and how it controls you.

Intuition is just that. You don't think about it. Also, it's a projection on my part. I find words like "doing good" very triggering. It sends me into a personal cycle of reflection and how I need to be doing better. It's really not about the other person. It's about my struggle with a disease.
I can respect that you are doing IE the way it works for you. This is what each one of us have to do. It is an individual journey.

IE for me is obviously does not mean the same for you and some others the way it does for me. I personally don't care if it is called IE by someone elses definition or not. Although it is called that in the IE book by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch.

Maybe what I'm calling IE is actually just "normal" eating for thin people. There is a thread under The General Diet Plans titled Skinny people don't eat much... If you read it you will find that thin people do not focus on food. They focus on being hungry. And they don't think they have to eat everything on their plate. My DH DD is very thin. When I asked her about how she eats, she told me that she only eats when she is hungry otherwise she does not even think about food. Sometimes she even "forgets" to eat. I haven't done that in years. But when I was thin, that is exactly how I was. Food was the farthest thing from my mind and I didn't really care what I ate sometimes I didn't even eat a whole meal. My goal is to be like that again. Right now I am practicing doing that until I can do it without even thinking about it. I figure my habit of eating 3 meals or more became a habit because I was taught to eat that way. So I can teach myself to eat normal again by practicing it until it becomes a habit.

Another thing I wanted to say is that some people can eat only a few bites of each food on their plate, but there is no rule in IE that you can only eat a certain # of bites and I never meant to imply that there was. I was just sharing what works for someone else. The point being made was that if you eat slowly and taste your food that your body will have time to signal our brain that it doesn't want any more food because it is satisfied. The reason this works for me is because I don't like eating until I'm full because it makes me uncomfortable and sometimes sick with indigestion.

This is all I have to say about IE. This use to be a really great thread of support not criticism. I guess that is why a lot of the oldies aren't here any more. There are some other good IE groups online which actually follow the IE book by the authors above. So I will be joining them.

Good luck with y'alls journey. And have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:55 AM   #253  
Fear does not = fate

Sorry for offending everyone. I won't post here anymore. Good luck on all your journeys.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #254  

Running away is not going to help you. I was just trying to explain my point of view. Continue to do what you truly believe in, you seem to have a lot of people here who agree with your feelings about IE. I am the one who doesn't belong here. I do want to lose weight.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #255  

Quote:
Sorry for offending everyone. I won't post here anymore. Good luck on all your journeys.
I was not going to say anything else, but I don't want this to cause anyone to leave it because of me.

Please understand that I am not offended. And I surely do you won't leave the group. I do think we have to be careful how we judge each others experiences on here.

You had a problem with the idea of "doing good" and "doing well" because you felt it to be very diet oriented mentality and the statement of "we both need to be eating less". If you're hungry, you're hungry. I really appreciated your input, but I have not problem with those phrases. It is just a difference in opinions. Nothing more.

As for whether IE is for weight loss, tell that to the dieticians who teach their clients how to eat intuitively. I'm sorry but it is about weight loss. If it was not, then none of us would be trying to learn how to do it.

I was on this IE thread not long after the it was started years ago. I got to know the lady who started this thread. We all followed the IE book by Tribole and Resch. She no longer posts here because she was criticized when she tried to share (she still uses the book as a base). There have been other IE sites that follow their plan. In fact, there is a site or used to be that they are themselves are on. So many of the things successful IE-ers who have lost weight are on there. There are others now but they don't use the term IE... some use mindful eating etc.

Now I'm sharing for clarification for anyone who is thinking about trying IE and reading here. In the past, especially in the beginning of this thread years ago, IE was criticized by some on 3fc as just an excuse to eat whatever you want whenever you want and binge. Of course we know that is NOT what Intuitive Eating means.

IE does have rules or guidelines whatever you want to call it. The authors call them Principles, from the Intuitive Eating book written by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch, RD. Someone took their 10 Principles and simplified them to the 4 Rules/Guidelines of

1. When you are hungry eat.
2. Eat what you want not what you think you should eat.
3. Savor every bite.
4. Stop when you are satisfied.

I assume no one has to follow these or any one elses guidelines. One book I read uses a scale of 0 to 10 for hunger. I think WW uses that one or used to on Core. Another guideline I've seen was a scale of 0 - 5. I don't like scales either. I like the how the Weigh Down video describes what true stomach hunger feels like and the interesting thing I found is that not everyone experiences the same feelings. Some experience growling or rumbles and some feel a burning empty sensation. I experience the burning empty feeling, but I've been so out of touch with any form of hunger sensations that I didn't even know that was a signal from my body that it needed fuel.

This thread should be used to share what we are learning individually as well as what works for us individually. Nothing any one says that they do or don't do should ever been taken by anyone that it is the way everybody has to do it because what works for someone else may or may not work for me and what I do may or may not work for someone else. That is why there are so many diets out there. One size does not fit all.

I hope this thread will learn to respect each persons experiences without making them feel like they are not really following IE because they don't say things the way someone else would or they do something a little different than someone else. I shared the things I was learning because I've tried doing IE for so many years. What I've learned from the videos has helped me to understand more of why the things I know from the book(s) on IE works. It caused things to suddenly "just click" for me. I hoped that by sharing those things, others having the same problems would get help too. That is what we used to do on this thread in the begging. We learned and we shared. What we shared helped us and some didn't. We knew we didn't have to always agree with each other. If this thread will learn to do that it will be the BEST IE thread on the internet. It is up to us. I personally thing that IE should do away with stress not cause more of it.

owlsteazombies I'm not upset with you. I wish you the very best and successful Intuitive Eating. This is definitely a constant learning experience and I do believe it is the best way to eat.