General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #181  

Glad to hear everyone is doing ok. I'm doing a bit better myself. I've been doing IE for almost a year now. And its funny, some days I'm zen and some days I try to turn even IE into a diet.

Why is it that I think if I lose the weight, everything will be magically better? When I was thin, life wasn't perfect. It is a trap that we are sold by the diet industry and media.

I'm not free of this mentality or obsession with food, but I hope for the day that I will be. In the meantime, I will be grateful that I am more free today than ever before.

And that is something to celebrate.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #182  

Beginme I like your signature. We are told that we must measure our progress in pounds and inches. Yesterday I ate a few peanut M&Ms- I was hungry, I ate a 5-10, savoring each one, and then I stopped and put the rest away (I have a HUGE bag). I'm getting better at responding to my hunger/fullness. I'm a grazer. I feel hunger every 2-3 hours. If I have a larger meal I will usually go 4-6 hours without feeling hungry. Today my lunch was two pieces of whole wheat bread and hummus. I didn't feel totally satisfied, but I know that sometimes it takes a while to feel satisfied and if I'm still hungry in a little while I'll eat more...

This stuff works. Yeah, I'm not losing 1-2 pounds a week. I'm also not suffering. I'm not cold all the time, obsessed with food, irritable, cranky, and having trouble sleeping. I feel good.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:47 PM   #183  

Quote:
I'm a grazer.
Me, too.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #184  

Me three!

I feel much better when I am able to eat small amounts every few hours. It took me a while to figure that out and for a while I was eating huge amounts every 3 hours just to prove to myself that I could.

Palestrina that is great that you love veggies. It would definitely be triggering for me if my dh was doing what yours was doing. I am sorry. Maybe re read some IE books for support and ideas?

I am still bumping along over here. A few days ago my dh told me I was getting smaller and wondered what he would do if there wasn't enough of me left. Of course, I have been eating more the past few days as is my pattern. Anytime anyone notices my weight loss I immediately feel pressure to not regain and to at least maintain. ( All diet thoughts)

However, I have not been tempted in the least to read any of my many diet books. At the moment, anyone telling me what, how and when to eat is not comforting to me, it is repugnant.

Locke and Beginme sounds like you are doing great!

Welcome back Pattygirl!
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #185  

Locke, I like your signature too! It is all about the getting up.

I still haven't quite figured myself out hunger wise. There are days I eat only twice and days I eat 8 times. Some of it has to do with quantity at each meal and some to do with how much exercise I do that day.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #186  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I actually discovered when I seriously began IE, that I had to give up "exercise". It was just ingrained in me that I was burning calories, it wasn't for fun.

Now, I can just walk and enjoy hiking around or exploring my new city and not feel like I'm earning my food. Which is fantastic. I learned that if I'm hungry, I eat something. I walked and hiked for goodness sakes! Of course I'm hungry!

I've been doing a lot of crock pot meals lately, which I love and never did in the past because the portions are so hard to get right and if you eat too much or too little, then the calories would be off. It's time to let that go completely, and I'm all too happy to do it
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #187  

owlsteazombies, How did you lose all the weight?
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:33 AM   #188  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

With an extremely low calorie diet (I counted calories). I weighed everything that went into my mouth, including lettuce. Anything not accounted for, I didn't eat.

What I did eat I exercised off, plus an extra 200 calories each time.

It was unhealthy and damaging and please don't take it as advice. Please don't take it as advice.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #189  

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsteazombies View Post
I actually discovered when I seriously began IE, that I had to give up "exercise". It was just ingrained in me that I was burning calories, it wasn't for fun.

Now, I can just walk and enjoy hiking around or exploring my new city and not feel like I'm earning my food. Which is fantastic. I learned that if I'm hungry, I eat something. I walked and hiked for goodness sakes! Of course I'm hungry!

I've been doing a lot of crock pot meals lately, which I love and never did in the past because the portions are so hard to get right and if you eat too much or too little, then the calories would be off. It's time to let that go completely, and I'm all too happy to do it
As a former calorie counter I know EXACTLY what you are talking about with the crock pot meals. Oh the wonderful freedom! I also feel the same way about exercise. Right now unfortunately I have had to give it up. Hopefully someday I can pick it back up as something fun to do since I enjoy it.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:29 PM   #190  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I just don't think I can diet any more. I've been trying to, but I just don't think it is going to work for me any more. I don't know how to get rid of the idea that I need to diet, but once I learned about IE then diet has never worked no matter how much I keep trying to find one that will work for me.

So I'm back once again to see if I can finally get IE working for me.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #191  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Hello all!

Been away from the boards for a week or so, maybe longer. Read a book I think it is titled (I don't have it with me) The ten Habits of Thin People, did not care for it. It seemed new-age towards the end of the book. Anyway I will be donating it to the library. I am reading Naturally Thin Slim(?). It it MUCH better. I am enjoying that one. It was written by a lady from England, but I am getting more out of that one. I am getting better at hunger signals. Fullness and satisfaction are trickier, but I am trudging along. Have a blessed day.
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:11 PM   #192  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I have a friend, my beautician, who comes over for coffee on Monday mornings. I usually make us a little something to eat. I made breakfast for us this morning. I made an egg casserole. Now I normally, when dieting, would not add any starchy foods to it, but since I started back on IE this morning, I decided to grate a small potato in it just for texture/taste and onions and 3 different kinds of peppers. It was so nice to just make something more normal that I really was hungry for. I do usually like oatmeal, but didn't think that was worthy of company. Next week, her sister will be in town and I plan to make a quiche when they come over.

IE really just makes me feel so normal with my eating especially when eating with others.

Tam Tam - Let us know how you like the newer book. I'm reading a book Thin for Life. I bought it when doing IE before. This book is about people who have successfully lost weight and kept it off for 3 or more years. She says about half of them did it with diet plans and the other half did it without dieting. It is nice to know that there are successful people who have done it both ways. Although I know there are people who have lost and kept it off successfully with low carbing, she says there wasn't anyone who did it with low carb. This may have been written back before there successful people doing it with low carb.

As much as I love eating low carb, I haven't been able to stick with it all the time. Thank God with IE I don't have to. I can eat low carb when I'm hungry for it, but I don't have to if I don't. Besides, I've been reading a lot of new research that is coming out and isn't it interesting that the medical field including nutritionists never can make up their minds if certain foods are good or bad for you. One of the most recent ones I've read is that... they used to think that whole milk is bad for us, now they aren't so sure that is right. I remember hearing we needed 3 servings of dairy a day, now they are not so sure. Sure makes the IE idea of "Make peace with food" and "There are good/bad foods" sound more accurate doesn't it.

I remember a few visits back when my doctor told DH and me "We used to think that you needed to take vitamins, but now we aren't sure if they help or not". Makes me think of something my Daddy said his doctor/friend told him years ago. Daddy was having problems with his stomach and the doctor kept trying different meds to find one that would help him. Daddy said he asked the doctor one time "Are these going to help me feel better?" The doctor told him "I don't know. That's why they call it 'Practicing' medicine".
I think we have to remember that they don't always have the "right" answers. They just have an educated guess that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Of course that is JMO.

For me personally, I'm just tired of don't eat grains, eat grains, eat this but not that. It becomes so ridiculous.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:24 AM   #193  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post

For me personally, I'm just tired of don't eat grains, eat grains, eat this but not that. It becomes so ridiculous.
It IS ridiculous. Completely crazy, in fact.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #194  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
It IS ridiculous. Completely crazy, in fact.
Recently I feel that there have been a lot of measures taken to de-villainize carbs.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #195  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post
Recently I feel that there have been a lot of measures taken to de-villainize carbs.
I thought it was just me who has gotten that impression!

I wonder if it is because of the fact that long-term weight loss via a low-carb diet does not have a good track record. (Come to think of it, long-term weight loss via ANY type of restrictive diet hasn't been super-successful, either.)
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote