General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:58 PM   #16  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

Thanks for the responses!!! Hmmm... Sounds like IE maybe isn't for me then. I had worried that a trip would be a bad time to try. I'm not planning on doing IE to start binge eating or to over eat, or to blow my diet. I'm not really on a diet as much as a lifestyle change. I litterally want to eat the same things I'm eating now, I already eat junk food, desserts and treats occasionally, and just use the trip to just see if I can naturally follow better portion sizes without counting it. But I don't think I realized everything and exactly what IE is. I thought it was eating slower and gaging what you eat by your hunger signals, using self control in front of your fav treats so that you enjoy them without taking more then necessary. Hmm... I think I'll try and do this my own way in a slight combination and call it mindful eating or something. Since we're bringing our own foods, most of my meals will be the same as at home, I think dinners at restaurants are where I'll really get the practice in healthier choices and portions. It's my goal to be able to learn to listen to my body and keep it healthy without counting and that's what I'll have to do, through trial and error if need be! Thanks for everything!!!

(P.S. what a jerk that guy was, Palestrina! You're right about his personality being his own punishment, and glad you kept up your confidence. I bet you were rocking it even the worst of people don't comment unnessarrily to strangers on their body unless they're looking good, no matter what comes out of their mouth. Even the comment "you think you're so good looking" means he literally noticed you were good looking cause you personally recognized that!)

Last edited by SenseAndSensibility; 07-01-2015 at 11:11 PM.
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseAndSensibility View Post
Thanks for the responses!!! Hmmm... Sounds like IE maybe isn't for me then. I had worried that a trip would be a bad time to try. I'm not planning on doing IE to start binge eating or to over eat, or to blow my diet. I'm not really on a diet as much as a lifestyle change. I litterally want to eat the same things I'm eating now, I already eat junk food, desserts and treats occasionally, and just use the trip to just see if I can naturally follow better portion sizes without counting it. But I don't think I realized everything and exactly what IE is. I thought it was eating slower and gaging what you eat by your hunger signals, using self control in front of your fav treats so that you enjoy them without taking more then necessary. Hmm... I think I'll try and do this my own way in a slight combination and call it mindful eating or something. Since we're bringing our own foods, most of my meals will be the same as at home, I think dinners at restaurants are where I'll really get the practice in healthier choices and portions. It's my goal to be able to learn to listen to my body and keep it healthy without counting and that's what I'll have to do, through trial and error if need be! Thanks for everything!!!

(P.S. what a jerk that guy was, Palestrina! You're right about his personality being his own punishment, and glad you kept up your confidence. I bet you were rocking it even the worst of people don't comment unnessarrily to strangers on their body unless they're looking good, no matter what comes out of their mouth. Even the comment "you think you're so good looking" means he literally noticed you were good looking cause you personally recognized that!)
Nobody does IE in order to overeat and binge! It sounds to me like you're in a good place to start IE. IE is not some special club that you have to be exactly like everyone else in order to do it. Start with where you're comfortable. If you want to eat according to your hunger signals then you should do that! Even letting go of calorie counting is a huge deal, imagine how freeing it can be to not have to do that and relying on your body's senses to feed yourself! And no matter what WOE anyone follows mindful eating is good for the body and great for the mind.

I think the girls were maybe trying to warn you that sometimes the beginning of IE can bring about some unexpected hungers. It doesn't really sound like you've depriving yourself from a lot of foods but if you have been doing things like eating an apple when you were craving a cookie then yes, IE brings your cravings right up front and in your face. IE views controlled diets like a tightly pulled bow and arrow. The harder you stick to your diet the tighter you pull the bow. And then comes a point usually spurred on by stress, frustration, or the start of IE and that bow snaps and the arrow shoots. It's something to be aware of but definitely don't leave if you feel you need support while following hunger cues.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #18  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseAndSensibility View Post

The thing about IE is that it has so many good principles, that even if you don't adopt all of them, you can benefit from the others.

For example, I use Make Peace with Food, Respect Your Fullness, Discover the Satisfaction Factor, Honor Your Feelings Without Using Food, Exercise, and Honor Your Health. These have helped me immeasureably in my own Way of Eating goals.

As far as restaurants go, I'd like to say I had a good restaurant experience at Ruby Tuesday a couple of days ago. They have "Fit and Trim" choices on their menus, and I had the Chicken Bella, with a side of Roasted Zucchini, and the Unlimited Salad Bar. Yum! I ended up mixing peas, edamame, and tomatoes from the salad bar with the chicken and Bella cream sauce - very filling! Even the rolls that were brought to the table were delicious - the best of any restaurant rolls I've tried. I didn't eat all of them, just part of the amazing-looking herbed outside, and it was even better than it looked.

Best wishes on your continuing health journey!

Last edited by HungerWerks; 07-02-2015 at 08:51 AM.
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #19  

Palestrina,

That's horrible. People can be such jerks. If it's any consolation people who do that sort of thing usually just do it to distract from their own insecurities about body shape or achievements. It's just sad that it happened right after you did something for yourself and felt so good. You were probably carrying yourself proudly and those buttheads took the opportunity to tear you down. I'm glad you're not letting it doubt how cute you are.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #20  

SenseandSensibility,

Whatever you want to do is fine. IE's not just using hunger/fullness signals. It's a whole philosophy about dieting, body weight, food choices, nutrition, etc. It's based on the idea that your body knows best. So when you said you wanted to start IE I assumed you wanted more than to dip a toe. Try it out and see how it suits you. I was just concerned before because if you take a full plunge into IE it can be really difficult and scary at first and I wanted to warn you that that's natural.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:33 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 304/253/150

Height: 5'9"

I'm intrigued with IE. I've only heard about it here on 3FC for the first time in the last few days.

When I read through the 10 steps it seems like I had been inadvertantly learning and practicing a few of them already in the last few months since I started my weight loss journey. For example, I learned I really do need to eat when I am hungry and the results I found were remarkable. I started to eat more when I felt hungry and stopping naturally when I was full. Not only did I continue to lose weight but I did it by eating more and feeling satisfied. Plus I discovered I was still losing the weight at the same level as when I was doing my weight loss diet. So I ended up eating more and continued to lose weight! This really astonished me and I decided my body was smarter than I was so I needed to really get in tune with it.

This in turn made me start to think about things like enjoying my food more and trying to distinguish between true hunger and emotional hunger. I am still working on this and have a ways to go.

I started my weight loss journey this past January. I have always been a yo-yo dieter and eventually would gain it back plus a few more lbs. What was different this time was I had decided that I would start living and being the person I wanted to be instead of waiting until I lost the weight to become that person. It was a kind of revelation to me and a lot of the psychological drama of being fat and having so much to overcome sort of dissolved right away. Now I try to live as the person I want to be instead of waiting until I lose the weight to become that person. It feels like I am in training to learn how to be me and may sound silly but it has been opening up new ways of thinking and discovery about myself.

I know I have a long way to go and so much more to learn and discover about myself. But for the first time ever I have actually enjoyed my weight loss journey and look forward to it.

I don't know if IE is right for me but I like a lot of the principles and much of it makes sense to me. I think I may still be lingering in the 'diet' mentality and not quite ready to shed it or let it go. Even thou I feel and know in my gut that it just doesn't work for me to 'diet'. Not that I want that diet mentality, maybe I am just not ready or haven't pondered it enough yet. At least I have only discovered IE so I really don't know enough about it yet. I do know that if and when I feel its right for me and I am ready to change I will.

Since I started this year I have lost more weight than I ever have before and I know it has to do with the way I approached it this time around. But something in me has changed as a result. I now know that I am on the right path so instead of worrying about losing the weight it feels more like I am looking at a rainbow and in awe of it. I don't know how to explain that its just how I feel.
applevalleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:54 PM   #22  

This weekend I had a really relaxed approach to eating, but not a mindless one. I indulged quite a bit but I also got in quite a bit of exercise. I'm re-reading Overcoming Overeating, my favorite IE book. I like the casual approach to eating that the book recommends. I feel like some of the IE books (I'm looking at you Overfed Head) are diet books in disguise. I ate food this weekend- delicious holiday food- sometimes too much. However, after overindulging I felt like exercising. I completed a seven mile walk- the longest walk I have ever taken- over this weekend. I felt great afterwards. Today I felt the old dieting demons in my head start whispering as I began a stressful work week. I'm choosing to ignore them.

I find celebrating food is so important to this approach. My mom made a comment about how much ice cream I'd eaten over the weekend. Guess what, ice cream is delicious and I'm not going to feel guilty for eating it. Hooray for ice cream! I'm tired of pretending that I don't like food and I'm certainly tired of feeling guilty for eating it. Whenever I do IE I tend to feel guilty for the amounts or types of food I've eaten. I feel like I should be leaving stuff on my plate all the time, or not eating for several hours. I'm. Done. With. That. I'm going to eat to eat.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This weekend I had a really relaxed approach to eating, but not a mindless one. I indulged quite a bit but I also got in quite a bit of exercise. I'm re-reading Overcoming Overeating, my favorite IE book. I like the casual approach to eating that the book recommends. I feel like some of the IE books (I'm looking at you Overfed Head) are diet books in disguise. I ate food this weekend- delicious holiday food- sometimes too much. However, after overindulging I felt like exercising. I completed a seven mile walk- the longest walk I have ever taken- over this weekend. I felt great afterwards. Today I felt the old dieting demons in my head start whispering as I began a stressful work week. I'm choosing to ignore them.

I find celebrating food is so important to this approach. My mom made a comment about how much ice cream I'd eaten over the weekend. Guess what, ice cream is delicious and I'm not going to feel guilty for eating it. Hooray for ice cream! I'm tired of pretending that I don't like food and I'm certainly tired of feeling guilty for eating it. Whenever I do IE I tend to feel guilty for the amounts or types of food I've eaten. I feel like I should be leaving stuff on my plate all the time, or not eating for several hours. I'm. Done. With. That. I'm going to eat to eat.
YOu go Locke! That is great to read. Ice cream IS delicious! I am interested in your thoughts of why the overfed head is more "diety".

Palestrina I cannot believe someone said that to you! I really admire your attitude about it. I would have broken down crying because I am pitiful like that when it comes to the words of others hurting me.

I have been having a lot of trouble with dieting thoughts and some dieting behaviors and Im SICK OF IT. I feel like I am either unconsciously restricting or unconsciously overeating and I can't seem to just settle in the middle. For my weight that means a fluctuation of about 7 pounds. I was in the restriction phase where I felt like I was very rarely hungry but now for the past 3 days Im in the snap back rubber band overeating phase where I feel like I need to get up at night to eat. And I almost NEVER do that. It's exceedingly rare. And yet, part of me feels like a failure if I can't get to the weight that I was before kids and accept the weight I am at now. I feel like I am giving up. I just keep swinging on the pendulum. I think I am going to read Overcoming overeating again as well. That is also MY favorite IE book. It worked for me the first time when I was single and in my twenties. I almost immediately was able to eat intuitively and kept if up for years at a happy healthy weight until my second baby. I feel like its so much more challenging being a married mom of 3 kids. I guess thats good, its letting me really know what my issues are and its helping me work on them. Its just frustrating, and a bit discouraging.

Thanks everyone for letting me vent.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 07-07-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:38 PM   #24  

Overfed Head approaches IE as a way to lose weight. While the author says he's not sure how much weight you'll lose he is basically saying that you should do this way of eating to lose weight. For me, I feel really sane around food only when I completely take weight loss out of the picture. That's why I like OO's approach. OO wants you to live like you'll never gain or lose another pound no matter what you do. To me, that's the only way to be completely relaxed around food and eating.

OO's message is simple. Eat what you want to eat, at the time you want to eat, and in the amount you want to eat. It's IE in its purest form. No "gentle nutrition" is necessary. Your body will naturally gravitate towards foods that support good health. At the same time you have to work on taking care of yourself, facing your problems, and figuring out why you reach for food when you're not hungry. Overfed Head is all about NOT EATING when you're NOT HUNGRY. It's a totally different, white-knuckling approach.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Overfed Head approaches IE as a way to lose weight. While the author says he's not sure how much weight you'll lose he is basically saying that you should do this way of eating to lose weight. For me, I feel really sane around food only when I completely take weight loss out of the picture. That's why I like OO's approach. OO wants you to live like you'll never gain or lose another pound no matter what you do. To me, that's the only way to be completely relaxed around food and eating.

OO's message is simple. Eat what you want to eat, at the time you want to eat, and in the amount you want to eat. It's IE in its purest form. No "gentle nutrition" is necessary. Your body will naturally gravitate towards foods that support good health. At the same time you have to work on taking care of yourself, facing your problems, and figuring out why you reach for food when you're not hungry. Overfed Head is all about NOT EATING when you're NOT HUNGRY. It's a totally different, white-knuckling approach.
Ok, I see what you are saying. I think that is one of the harder things about the Overcoming Overeating book. It is more to help you get a healthy relationship with food, weight loss could be a byproduct but it should NOT be your goal. You have to give up the fantasy of the thinner/smaller body. I think that has been my problem. I feel in general like I do have a much better relationship with food and honoring my hunger and I feel like I should be back to my previous weight. Because I am not the failure feelings creep in and so does the dieting mentality. It does mess with my head for sure.

Thanks for the explanation, I think that makes perfect sense.

Have you read When Women stop Hating their Bodies? It's by the authors of Overcoming Overeating and I think they wrote it first. It sounds interesting but Im not sure if it has any new insights.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 07-08-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Pink do you follow Isabella Foxen Duke? isabelfoxenduke.com
She goes beyond IE in terms of dealing with food. Her schtick is to not give any thought to food at all, especially nutrition. Her approach is "just eat" line of thinking. I know for me when the need to eat at night arises it is partly due to undereating during the day but it is also a signal of stress that is not dealt with well enough.

I can't believe it either that the street harrassment didn't affect me. But other things do. For example, last week I saw my friend who rigorously dieted, she's lost close to a 100lbs in a year while I'm still stuck at this weight. She tried to give me some of her old fat clothes, that really hurt. I mean it really hurt. I'm sure she was just being nice, but it triggered me.

I'm home visiting my parents now and I'm feeling anxious around food. I'll be here for the next 6 weeks and I have yet to go shopping and set myself up eating wise and when I do everything will be ok. But in the meantime I'm trying to acclimate again to my mother's eccentricities around food. I snapped at her big time today. I ate a soft boiled egg and left some of the egg whites - I don't really like egg whites and never have since I was a little girl. Of course she said what she always said "you didn't eat the best part of the egg, the whites is where all the nutrients are." I was too jet lagged to get into a fight but I did snap at her "Mom, you've known me since I was a little girl, must you make the same comment every time I eat a stupid egg?" I really am sick of it. I've been hearing that my whole life, and it isn't even true! The egg whites are pure protein, the yolk has the actual nutrients in it. And it's been proven that eggs are not bad for you!

Otherwise I'm eating well, my appetite has been very low since the long trip and I'm eating very light as I get over the jet lag.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 38" waist/ 35" waist/ 32" wais

Height: 5'11

Default Tingly jaw

I have been binge free for almost a year, I am a few weeks shy of 1 year. The beginning was hard, but eventually the desire to binge completely dimished.
The only thing I'm battling now is a pins and needle feeling around my chin and jaws. It doesn't happen everytime I eat, but when it does it is mentally exhausting. I know it sounds weird, but it happens a couple hours after I eat something. It's extremely frustrating and I am not sure if it is a residual side effect from my previous bingeing disorder?
I don't have MS, anxiety, diabetes, or any nerve conditions. Has anyone else experienced this?

Update: went to my Dr. and the facial tingling that I get is from ocular migraines. It's unrelated to binge eating disorder.

Last edited by brooke1218; 07-09-2015 at 08:42 PM.
brooke1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #28  

Palestrina,

That sounds exhausting. <hugs>

Brooke,

I've never experienced that. If more serious causes have been ruled out I'd just chalk it up to one of your body's idiosyncrasies.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #29  

Locke, I honestly never thought about Overfed Head in that way, but what you're saying makes sense.

Speaking of, Rob Stevens seems to have gone off the grid. You can no longer access his book or his website. Makes you wonder.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:43 PM   #30  

Palestrina, I used to follow Isabellefoxenduke, but then I felt like all I was getting in my inbox was spam, constantly wanting me to do her workshop and also advertising for her friend, so I unfollowed. Maybe I should go check out her site for a refresher.

That would have really hurt me too with my friend and the clothes. I already have a friend who is thinner than me and she will give me stuff that is too big but she is always careful to say that it "doesn't fit right". Not quite the same thing with your friend who lost 100 pounds though. That sounds hard. your mom sounds difficult too. My mom is a huge trigger for me as well, but for different reasons. I often find that I cannot eat around her and have to do all my eating later. When I lived with her I would just sneak eat in my room at 2 am and such.

Brooke, glad you found out what it was. That is a bummer about the migraines though.

I am just trucking along over here. I have been going for a nightly walk for about 3 weeks and I love it. I would so much rather go for a walk than get on my elliptical for 30 minutes. I think the key has been for me that because of my recent ankle injury I have been forced to take it easy. When I first started I was pretty much just strolling. That makes it much more pleasurable and I look forward to it. I have naturally started walking a little faster as my ankle gets better and my legs get stronger. I don't even take any music with me and I find its a great time to just contemplate life, think, and kind of zone out. Its been emotionally helpful for me and physically. I have been falling asleep faster at night, sleeping better, and I think its been really helpful for relieving the daily stress that gets built up. Its time away from the family and time just for me. I look forward to my walks every night and I will walk even in pouring rain or blistering heat. I feel much more in tune with my body. I have tried walking before but I think I made it too much into I had to feel the burn and I always had to have music. It made it too much of an ordeal and easy to not do. Now, I just open my front door and step out. no headphones to locate or phone to bring and no pressure to walk faster or jog. Anyway, its been feeling good and I just wanted to share.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 07-10-2015 at 02:47 PM.