General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:34 PM   #166  

I also watched this three part interview that Dr. May did with a low-carb zealot. Boy, he couldn't buy a clue, and I said as much in my comment after listening to all three videos. I was pretty blunt, but not inappropriate. Yet he deleted my comment. What a shock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lmp...9436EF&index=1

He is completely closed-minded and bordered on hostile, IMO. Reminds me of some people on this forum (not this thread, but others here at 3FC).
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #167  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post
Pinkhippie this sentence really resonated with me "I realized I had been using diets as a tool to manage my anxiety. I did not go on a diet."

I am certain you are not the only one. Most of the women on this board go on a diet to manage their anxiety. They feel their eating is "out of control" and they turn the screws on accountability to help them feel like they're doing something.

A better way to think of it is not that out eating is out of control, but that it is completely and utterly in control. There might be other things out of our control in our lives but food is not one of them. If people could only understand what a valuable tool eating serves as, they would know that trying to control it is going to backfire.

I think you've reached new levels of understanding about your body Pink! The ultimate goal is to go beyond IE entirely and you're getting there!
Thank you Palestrina! I really do feel like I have made a breakthrough of sorts. It's so funny how at night when I feel anxious I just want to READ one of my many diet books to make me feel better. It's like soothing or something. That has really been a challenge. I have lots of diety diet in disguise books on my kindle. But, so far I have resisted that urge because I recognize just how harmful it is to me to read them. I have been acquiring other interests and trying to focus on those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm at the same place you are Pink. I'm just trying to eat. The difference between that and the whirlwind eating that dieters do when they aren't dieting is that I'm really trying to pay attention to my body and be aware of how I feel. If I want to eat, I eat. I totally agree that dieting is a way to manage anxiety. Whenever I get anxious I find myself longing to look at nutrition/diet websites. It's a way to distract myself from what's really going on... but I need to pay attention to what's causing me anxiety so I can actually fix or at least accept it.
Thats great Locke. Its funny how much work that can be, just to eat without our mind getting in the way. And like I said above, I totally am the same way with anxiety and wanting to read nutrition diet stuff. I think is really great that we are all becoming aware of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
Sounds like everyone is doing well.

I feel that I am making some pretty good progress in shedding the diet mentality. I know I could still fall back into that trap, but for now I'm doing pretty well.

I needed to add something to my husband's Amazon in order to get free shipping. so I started looking at the IE books since it's been quite some time since I purchased one. I settled on Michelle May's "Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat" and that led me to some of her videos which are on YouTube. There's one about exercise that really spoke to me, since I'm one of those people who really don't like to exercise at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiocssSIczc

I'd been slacking off on my walking over the last several weeks, and as soon as I watched that video I had a real "a ha" moment and was very motivated to get back to it. It was so freeing to just go and say "I'll walk until I feel that it's time to stop," and I found that my energy level was quite a bit higher than it has been recently when it comes to exercise.

Her message appears to be similar to others, but I'm hopeful that there will be a gem or two in the book that perhaps will give me a bit of insight I have not previously had. I find that I usually learn something useful from each and every IE resource I've consulted.
I got Michelle May's book and I really did get a few useful things out of it but watch out for the nutrition and info at the back. It triggered me big time. You might be able to take some of it and leave some of it and enjoy the recipes, I wasn't able to handle it and I actually returned it for a refund. However, I thought she had some good stuff in the front and sometimes I wish I hadn't returned it just for that.

Good for you for staying out of the diet mentality, it is a challenge especially in our society.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 10-01-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:58 AM   #168  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

It's been awhile since I've posted. We've moved cross country and have been exploring our new area, which is nice. Until we come back to the house we're renting.

We're looking for a place to buy, but it's taking awhile. In the meantime, our neighbors seem to have a gazillion and a half kids, pay no heed to how loud they are and at what time they're loud. But the kicker, the thing I can't stand. They have a rooster. An f'ing rooster.

It was quaint and kind've cute the first day. But then after the week went on, and another week, and then another, it wasn't so cute anymore. Now, when it wakes me up at 4am, I want to march next door with a knife, a copy of the farm animal ordinance, the noise ordinance and a box of shake n bake.

And since I'm up that early, I get hungry that early. So I eat more. And then I get stressed that I'm stressed and eating more.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #169  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Someone posted this on the IE site and I had to share. It fits so perfectly with the intuitive path we are all on.

Autobiography in Five Short Chapters

I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost... I am helpless.
It isn't my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

I walk down the same street.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in the same place.
But, it isn't my fault.
It still takes me a long time to get out.

I see it is there.
I still fall in. It's a habit.
My eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault. I get out immediately.

walk down the same street.
I walk around it.

I walk down another street.

-Portia Nelson
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #170  

Palestrina,

So true! And it's totally okay if we go from walking down another street to back in the hole because sometimes progress isn't linear.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #171  

Maven,

Dr. Mercola is a total quack. I'm glad May stood her ground.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #172  

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsteazombies View Post
It's been awhile since I've posted. We've moved cross country and have been exploring our new area, which is nice. Until we come back to the house we're renting.

We're looking for a place to buy, but it's taking awhile. In the meantime, our neighbors seem to have a gazillion and a half kids, pay no heed to how loud they are and at what time they're loud. But the kicker, the thing I can't stand. They have a rooster. An f'ing rooster.

It was quaint and kind've cute the first day. But then after the week went on, and another week, and then another, it wasn't so cute anymore. Now, when it wakes me up at 4am, I want to march next door with a knife, a copy of the farm animal ordinance, the noise ordinance and a box of shake n bake.

And since I'm up that early, I get hungry that early. So I eat more. And then I get stressed that I'm stressed and eating more.
Im so sorry you are going through that. I would be losing my mind. White noise machine? Ear plugs? ( industrial strength) calling the police if there is a noise ordinance? Stuff that like that drives me crazy.

Quote:
Someone posted this on the IE site and I had to share. It fits so perfectly with the intuitive path we are all on.

Autobiography in Five Short Chapters

I walk down the street.
I fall in.
I am lost... I am helpless.
It isn't my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in the same place.
But, it isn't my fault.
It still takes me a long time to get out.

I see it is there.
I still fall in. It's a habit.
My eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault. I get out immediately.

walk down the same street.
I walk around it.

I walk down another street.

-Portia Nelson
I love this Palestrina, very apt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Palestrina,

So true! And it's totally okay if we go from walking down another street to back in the hole because sometimes progress isn't linear.
I agree with this too.

So, I have just been doing my thing. A couple of days ago I ate before bed, I dont' normally do that. I felt a TINGE guilty but I told myself I wasn't feeling guilty for eating food anymore so I stopped that. I was comfortably full when I went to bed. I woke up the next morning and noticed I wasn't hungry. I observed that and went on about my morning. Suddenly at 11 am ( I get up at 6:30) I realized that I hadn't eaten yet AND I hadn't thought about breakfast or food ALL morning. The reason I was thinking of food at 11 in the morning? I was starting to get hungry. So I made myself some food. It was delicious, the end. I usually eat breakast but I guess because I ate before bed, I wasn't hungry when I got up. But if I had been it still would have been ok. My body won't lead me astray.

Today I went grocery shopping. I went to the vegetable aisle to pick up some peppers for my dh's salsa. Then I found myself gleefully plucking green beans, spinach, cabbage, leeks, broccoli and putting them in my cart like I was a kid at a candy store. I was EXCITED about the green veggies. I can't think of the last time I did that. I always hate buying vegetables. I feel like I SHOULD and I feel guilty if I don't and then a lot of times I don't eat them. In fact, I haven't bought vegetables for a couple of weeks now and I have been fine with that. Today, I really wanted and enjoyed buying them. And Im not saying that buying green veggies is better than buying tortillas and bread. Im just saying that wow, my body really can tell me what it wants if I can just LISTEN without guilt and my mind getting in the way. Im totally making leek and potato soup this week. so excited.

And finally, one thing I have realized that was VERY detrimental in my IE journey was not eating until I was "hungry enough". Now, if I feel any twinge of hunger, I will eat. Maybe because I come from a restricting background, but if Im hungry, it really is time for me to eat. No hunger levels needed. It has been so much easier to get in touch with my body this way, and also now my body is starting to trust that I will eat when Im hungry and I don't have to wait until I am "hungry enough" before I will feed myself. Now I know why I couldn't stop eating at mealtimes until I was really full. I still had the scarcity mentality because of that.

And now I am just not sweating food like I used to. I eat when Im hungry, whatever sounds good and until Im satisfied. I often find myself forgetting about food until Im hungry. I feel like I am finally going back to how I was pre 2n'd pregnancy diet rabbithole. Obviously the journey isn't linear and that is ok. Later I might eat because Im upset or something looks good and Im not hungry, and that is also OK.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 10-04-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #173  

The bad thing about IE is that once you get it you can't go back. I looked at a video about Bright Line eating and she explained everything so well about insulin and leptin I just fell for it. It's a diet where you leave out sugar and white flour. But I'm so used to NOT doing that, that I lasted one day.

Last edited by carolr3639; 10-05-2015 at 09:28 AM.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #174  

Carol I totally agree. I'm really terrible at dieting after doing IE for 18 months. I still get dieting urges all the time but they pass more and more quickly because I just can't do it.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #175  

Locke, glad to hear someone else has that problem........or is it a problem? ha
Old 10-06-2015, 09:50 AM   #176  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Pinkhippie I have the opposite problem, I love buying veggies! They're so beautiful and I grew up with a fridge full of veggies and I maintain that still the problem is that when in hungry id rather eat junk than healthy veggies. I don't know what is wrong with me.

I think my husband is changing and its throwing me into diet mentality. He has a normal relationship with food and has no interest in dieting or losing weight. He doesn't overeat and he doesn't freak out when he's hungry. He's always been a good influence on me in that regard.

However his eating habits were posing some problems. He's basically a meat and potatoes guy and skimps on veggies. He never ate salads and wouldn't go near fruit. I razzed him a little bit, not in a bad way but he would suffer continuously with bloating, gas and constipation and I always suggested he would bulk up in fiber with fresh veg and try to eat some yogurt (probiotics). I also noticed his symptoms would be a lot worse after he drank beer or had a very glutinous meal.

So finally his symptoms got bad enough that he wanted to make a change. For over a month now he's been eating salads, fruits, and lays low on heavy carbs especially gluten. He hasn't given anything up, he's just being more moderate and thoughtful about how he eats during the day. Like if he has a sandwich for lunch he'll request that we don't have pasta for dinner. It's all so wonderful ladida and he feels grrrrrrrrreat and he's not constipated anymore and he has soooo much energy and this is sooo fabulous and he loves salads and he's lost weight and he couldn't be happier.

..... yea so now I'm watching him change his eating so drastically and so EASILY and he's so frigging happy and I'm still where I'm at, chugging along and I don't think I'll ever be happy and I'll never lose weight because if I diet I will start binging again and it's like there is nowhere for me to go. I either have to diet and lose weight for a short amount of time before I regain it and start binging again or I have to do IE and stay at this weight forever which is also not good enough for me.

Why can't there be more to my life?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #177  

Quote:
I have to do IE and stay at this weight forever which is also not good enough for me.
I know exactly how you feel. I lost 40lb, gained 10 back and am stuck at 165. I weighed 120 after my 3rd child......we have 10. The only good thing is you are at peace with food.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #178  

Quote:
They're so beautiful and I grew up with a fridge full of veggies and I maintain that still the problem is that when in hungry id rather eat junk than healthy veggies. I don't know what is wrong with me.
If you're hungry you want food that gives you energy. Vegetables don't give you energy (unless they're starchy). Of course you won't want to reach for celery when you need fuel. There are no junk foods. Potato chips are simply thinly cut rounds of potato that are fried. They provide lots of starch, fat, a bit of salt... these things could be just what you need to feel satisfied. The same with cupcakes.

I've been reading http://dropitandeat.blogspot.com/ - it's a great blog written by a dietitian that promotes intuitive eating. It's eating disorder focused but a lot of it applies to people who are chronic dieters. It's really refreshing to see an RD promoting desserts and rich foods- eating for pleasure instead of by the rules in your head. She's practiced this philosophy for 25 years and she's had patients use IE to lose a lot of weight. It takes time though- 150 pounds over ten years, etc. That's 15 pounds a year. I've lost ten pounds in the last year... so I'm just not going to sweat it.

Last edited by Locke; 10-06-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #179  

Thanks for the link, Locke.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:11 AM   #180  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Haven't been here in a while but just had to say Thanks for the link Locke.

I'm getting back to IE for the umpteenth time. So easy to fall back into dieting mode, but I hope I will be able to get back to IE.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote