General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Interesting thread!

I've been at this for 4.5 years now - I lost the bulk of my weight in 2011. At first, I started by doing Zumba DVDs at home that I got for Christmas. I didn't do anything else, but I found that I naturally ate a little less and better. I lost 10 pounds or so in about 6 weeks, so I decided to join Weight Watchers online. I'd done WW in the past and the structure is something that I work well with, but I never really got much from the meetings. A couple weeks after that, I joined the YMCA because my DVDs were getting boring. I started taking every Zumba class I could get to, and then I started doing other classes. I was working out, at the gym, 4-5 days per week, and doing long walks (45-60 minutes) 2-3 days per week.

In the first 9 months of 2011, through 2 long, overseas vacations, I went from 230 to 160. I was highly motivated, having a lot of success and really began to love my life! I stayed with WW for a year and half or so, still going to the gym a lot. Also got scuba certified and was in love with that. Weight loss slowed down, but I was really happy with myself - so that was okay.

Over the years, I really haven't used "one plan" to maintain and continue losing - if I found myself putting on weight, I would switch it up. I dropped WW and started using MyFitnessPal. I also read a ton of books, many that were recommended here on 3FC and would try little techniques here and there. I'm the kind of person that really likes novelty - I tend to get bored really easily. So, trying new things, whether it was a new exercise or class, or new food/recipes, or different tools (WW, MyFitnessPal, FitBit) has really worked for me.

Last year was a rough one for me, and I ended the year having total knee replacement surgery (in December) - so my physical activity went to zero, and my eating was all over the place. I ended up putting on a few pounds and I've been struggling with exercise because I am a very slow healer and couldn't even walk on my new knee for months - but I'm back at the gym 2-3 days per week, and taking my long walks again. I also joined Weight Watchers again and I attend meetings (I still don't like them!) - but I am switching it up again. I am making a final push to my "ultimate goal weight" - but honestly, I'm happy with myself, even at my current weight.

I also recently read "Brain over Binge" and "Rational Recovery" so I could learn techniques to end my binge-eating issues once and for all. I have been using those techniques for about a month and I can honestly say, I haven't had even one binge and I really don't want to. That is HUGE for me and something that has held me back from losing those last 10-15 lbs.

In the end, it all boils down to exercise and activity coupled with eating high quality foods and portion control. I also like electronics & gadgets, so I like things like WW online or MyFitnessPal, and I love my heart rate monitor and FitBit. In fact, my FitBit Charge HR is arriving tomorrow, so I can track it all the time with just one tool. I also do not obsess over weighing myself all the time, or get upset if the scale goes up a little. Earlier this year, I was up 15 lbs and I didn't like it, but I knew I'd get it off as soon as I got myself together - and I did!
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #32  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunula View Post
Interesting thread!

I've been at this for 4.5 years now - I lost the bulk of my weight in 2011. At first, I started by doing Zumba DVDs at home that I got for Christmas. I didn't do anything else, but I found that I naturally ate a little less and better. I lost 10 pounds or so in about 6 weeks, so I decided to join Weight Watchers online. I'd done WW in the past and the structure is something that I work well with, but I never really got much from the meetings. A couple weeks after that, I joined the YMCA because my DVDs were getting boring. I started taking every Zumba class I could get to, and then I started doing other classes. I was working out, at the gym, 4-5 days per week, and doing long walks (45-60 minutes) 2-3 days per week.

In the first 9 months of 2011, through 2 long, overseas vacations, I went from 230 to 160. I was highly motivated, having a lot of success and really began to love my life! I stayed with WW for a year and half or so, still going to the gym a lot. Also got scuba certified and was in love with that. Weight loss slowed down, but I was really happy with myself - so that was okay.

Over the years, I really haven't used "one plan" to maintain and continue losing - if I found myself putting on weight, I would switch it up. I dropped WW and started using MyFitnessPal. I also read a ton of books, many that were recommended here on 3FC and would try little techniques here and there. I'm the kind of person that really likes novelty - I tend to get bored really easily. So, trying new things, whether it was a new exercise or class, or new food/recipes, or different tools (WW, MyFitnessPal, FitBit) has really worked for me.

Last year was a rough one for me, and I ended the year having total knee replacement surgery (in December) - so my physical activity went to zero, and my eating was all over the place. I ended up putting on a few pounds and I've been struggling with exercise because I am a very slow healer and couldn't even walk on my new knee for months - but I'm back at the gym 2-3 days per week, and taking my long walks again. I also joined Weight Watchers again and I attend meetings (I still don't like them!) - but I am switching it up again. I am making a final push to my "ultimate goal weight" - but honestly, I'm happy with myself, even at my current weight.

I also recently read "Brain over Binge" and "Rational Recovery" so I could learn techniques to end my binge-eating issues once and for all. I have been using those techniques for about a month and I can honestly say, I haven't had even one binge and I really don't want to. That is HUGE for me and something that has held me back from losing those last 10-15 lbs.

In the end, it all boils down to exercise and activity coupled with eating high quality foods and portion control. I also like electronics & gadgets, so I like things like WW online or MyFitnessPal, and I love my heart rate monitor and FitBit. In fact, my FitBit Charge HR is arriving tomorrow, so I can track it all the time with just one tool. I also do not obsess over weighing myself all the time, or get upset if the scale goes up a little. Earlier this year, I was up 15 lbs and I didn't like it, but I knew I'd get it off as soon as I got myself together - and I did!
Very inspiring story, and full of hope and good ideas for others!
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote