General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #436  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post
Maven good to see you! (I'm the name change, used to be wannabeskinny). Heck it's amazing how little life's changes affect out body. I think the cause of most people's dietary problems are grounded in scheduling and timing. It's not easy and I'm glad to see that you're taking the necessary steps to rework your schedule for your health. This may be a luxury that not many have. But you know what you're doing with IE and I know you'll straighten this stuff out, you sound like you are in a good place actually.

I'm sorry to hear about your spinal issues. I hope you don't mind me recommending something. For muscular/skeletal issues such as the one you describe there is no better doctor for this than an osteopath. They're not widely known but they are amazing doctors. Not chiropractors or physical therapists, osteopaths are fully accredited doctors of medicine that use manipulative therapy. You might remember that I had a very debilitating pelvic injury that caused me to limp and feel unbearable pain walking. I couldn't do any exercise for 3yrs. With the help of my osteopath I am now able to do all kinds of activities without fear of pain or reinjury.

Also, PT can take a long time before you see results. So hang in there and try to see an osteopath if you can. Most insurances cover it.

Welcome back!
Thanks for the welcome back, Palestrina! I love your new name as well as your avatar. Both are great!

Thank you as well for the recommendation for the osteopath. I am definitely going to check into that. One doctor is pushing for those epidural steroid injections into my neck, and even my PCP is also suggesting that. I don't THINK so! Others had suggested chiropractic care but I was a bit leery of that as well. I was completely unaware of the osteopath option but will look into it first thing next month when I am finally free of this job.

And I do know how lucky I am to be able to do what I am doing. I have a good friend that I work with who right now is working two jobs for a total of 55-60 hours a week and also needs to get back into an exercise routine, but she just doesn't have the time to devote to it. Her husband just lost his job and they are barely scraping by. My heart goes out to her.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #437  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
Thanks for the welcome back, Palestrina! I love your new name as well as your avatar. Both are great!

Thank you as well for the recommendation for the osteopath. I am definitely going to check into that. One doctor is pushing for those epidural steroid injections into my neck, and even my PCP is also suggesting that. I don't THINK so! Others had suggested chiropractic care but I was a bit leery of that as well. I was completely unaware of the osteopath option but will look into it first thing next month when I am finally free of this job.

And I do know how lucky I am to be able to do what I am doing. I have a good friend that I work with who right now is working two jobs for a total of 55-60 hours a week and also needs to get back into an exercise routine, but she just doesn't have the time to devote to it. Her husband just lost his job and they are barely scraping by. My heart goes out to her.
I'm happy to talk to you more about osteopathy through PM. I feel very passionately about osteopaths because they view medications as last resorts and focus on skeletal alignment as a means for your body to heal itself. Plus it's completely painless and involves no cracking like chiropractors do. I have lots to share about it but let's leave it for a pm.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #438  
HDE baby

Height: 5'2

Quote:
I'm still riding my wave of feeling great here. Maybe it's the weather, impending vacation, or my dance classes which are super fun and make my body feel alive. Incorporating BoB into my IE practice has been a lifesaver so far. For a while I was getting bogged down with stress and diet mentality. One thing that IE has done is to help validate all my feelings , channel them and find appropriate ways to cope with them. Which I love! On the other hand it makes me indulge in every little thought and emotion that pops up. I've been drowning in them! With BoB I've been able to discern which thoughts are real and need to be engaged with and which thoughts are just passing through and are meaningless. Along with practicing mindfulness meditation I'm navigating those emotions effortlessly now (well not effortlessly but I'm getting better!).

There is a system of checks and balances with this approach that I'm really digging. Food is awesome. My body is happy. My mind is calm. My emotions are manageable. This is all I need.
I am so, so happy for you Palestrina! You deserve peace!
yumsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #439  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumsoup View Post
I am so, so happy for you Palestrina! You deserve peace!
Glad you're back yumsoup, I have a lot of questions about BoB but best on the BoB thread.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #440  

Hi Southernmaven! I am happy to see you! I have thought of you often over the past year and wondered how you are doing. It sounds like you are taking the sensible and wise course of action for your health.

Good to see you too Yumsoup! How have you been?
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #441  

Quote:
@Pink, kids suck. They really do lol. OT but lately my son (almost 4) asks for food... milk or a cheerios snack and then he doesn't eat even a bite of it. And then he asks for something else. It's torturing me! I'll never understand children. But otherwise he's a good eater, loves veggies and paces himself well.

I know that dinner time with the family is important but the important part about it is being together. I don't feel obligated to eat with my family when it's dinnertime but I do feel obligated to sit with them. Don't put so much pressure on yourself on WHEN you will eat, just keep paying attention to eating according to your own body's needs because nobody else really cares if you already ate and are just sitting there with them for the company. Just as long as you're there!

I have a strange schedule, I spend my days as a stay at home mom and then work on nights and weekends, but not every night and possibly not every weekend. Some weeks are more hectic than others. I was having a really hard time with feeding myself during the day. I no longer feel bound to making myself a schedule of eating although I used to rely on that. I'm much better about holding off on eating until I'm hungry and I'm flexible with meals. Most days I eat a very late breakfast around 10:30 and then I have my dinner meal around 5, possibly with a snack in between but very often not. Other days I have 3 full meals a day. Sometimes I have only one real meal and the rest of the day is snacks. I try not to analyze or criticize my eating, just go with it.
Yes kids really do suck sometimes, especially at mealtime! lol. My 3 year is the same way with food. I find with being a stay at home mom that I am much more susceptible to boredom eating.

Quote:
So I've been taking dance classes like I said I would. I change it up and do a variety of things. I've mostly been doing hip hop and african dance lol. I'm pretty good at hip hop. Yesterday I started a zumba class, had never been to one before. In all my classes I'm always the largest person in the class. I wish I wasn't but I am. I can't move as quickly or be as bouncy as the others but I'm definitely keeping up. One of the important factors i'm realizing is that there are mirrors in the classes. Everyone is staring at themselves. It's a really unique experience of not just looking at yourself, but also performing in the mirror. Everyone is checking themselves out. People are relishing in making their tushy jiggle. It's kind of cool! If anyone needs some mirror therapy then I strongly suggest you take a dance class! Dancing is helping me really feel and use my body. I can see in the mirror that compared to others I am a little stiff, a little inhibited, a little hesitant. But I also see and feel the potential of one day being like the other people in the class, totally rocking out like nobody's watching! Dancing is the best thing I've done for myself... ever!
This is so awesome about your dance classes! I would love to take dance again but financially and timewise we just can't do it right now. But, its on my list!
Old 05-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #442  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Sorry to hear about your health challenges, but glad to see you back, SouthernMaven. I remember when you were here before that you and I had quite a few similar views on IE-related things.

I don't post a lot, but I always read this thread.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #443  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Hello, how are you all doing? It is officially picnic season here, and I made a double batch of my famed chocolate beetroot cupcakes for Saturday and got strangely-shaped sunburn because I'd forgotten what the sun was like. It was a fantastic afternoon, lots of friends there, including meeting the baby of a couple I know for the first time. I'm trying to steer clear of the cupcakes since I am getting pain flares from sugar, but it's easier said than done!

I stopped calorie counting a few weeks ago. Last I checked, I'm still losing but at a slower rate, which suits me nicely. I'm too ill for the faff right now, and I'm also ill enough that I am probably better off with a small to non-existent calorie deficit. There's been quite a lot of stress on and off, so there's been some stress eating, but it's always fairly small scale and I am trying to be mindful about it. I'm doing better at that, plus at exhaustion eating and social eating. In past times I'd have eaten a lot more at that picnic! Staying properly hydrated seems to help. As for stress eating, I tend to go for chocolate, sometimes spread with peanut butter (hey, protein!). I don't take much, partly because I like dark chocolate and that's satisfying with smaller amounts, and partly because I know perfectly well what will happen if I eat too much sugar, and that sort of pain flare is a very good deterrent.

By the way, if you are in the UK, never, ever go with Scottish Power. Absolutely awful. The Ombudsman keep on mistakenly closing my case down, so that they have been closing and reopening it since August. SP not only owe me the best part of a grand, but have started sending letters saying I owe them £300 and threatening to send debt collectors round. Apparently they're known for doing this. You can see why I was reaching for the chocolate.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #444  

Glad to see everyone checking in.

I'm feeling a little stuck and upset. My weight is steady and I'm bummed that I'm not losing any. Summer is almost here and I'm feeling uncomfortable in my clothes, I'll be in swimwear soon and I'm not enjoying getting dressed. I'd become quite comfortable in my body but as the clothes shed I get overwhelmed with the desire to lose weight. I feel like I should restrict and I know that's bad.

I'm also feeling old. I'll be 39 this summer and eventhough there is not much difference in my weight over the last few years I can see my arms are saggy, my face is starting to show fine lines and my body composition seems to be changing.

Ugh! Anybody else get thrown off by the change of season and seeing everyone wear cute shorts and strappy dresses?
Old 05-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #445  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Hey I was on this thread years ago, but have been on ina while. I had a pretty intersting intuitive eating moment. I ordered a veggie omelet and bacon and decided I didn't want the bacon. That's pretty unusual for me. Anyway, Hope everyone else is well.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #446  

Quote:
Glad to see everyone checking in.

I'm feeling a little stuck and upset. My weight is steady and I'm bummed that I'm not losing any. Summer is almost here and I'm feeling uncomfortable in my clothes, I'll be in swimwear soon and I'm not enjoying getting dressed. I'd become quite comfortable in my body but as the clothes shed I get overwhelmed with the desire to lose weight. I feel like I should restrict and I know that's bad.

I'm also feeling old. I'll be 39 this summer and eventhough there is not much difference in my weight over the last few years I can see my arms are saggy, my face is starting to show fine lines and my body composition seems to be changing.

Ugh! Anybody else get thrown off by the change of season and seeing everyone wear cute shorts and strappy dresses?
Yep Im right there with you, especially as I reinjured my bad ankle and have been unable to exercise for the past 3 weeks or so. I was feeling all fit and strong and now I feel like a weak puddle who can't fit into her shorts. I also turned 39 this year! Another reason I really need to get back on exercising, I really want to be a healthy older woman when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidianbbw View Post
Hey I was on this thread years ago, but have been on ina while. I had a pretty intersting intuitive eating moment. I ordered a veggie omelet and bacon and decided I didn't want the bacon. That's pretty unusual for me. Anyway, Hope everyone else is well.
Hi Obsidianbbw! I actually read every single IE thread a while back and I remember you! Glad to see you! That sounds like a great IE moment!

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 05-26-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #447  

Hey all! I'm thinking about going back into IE. I did it for a while years ago, but I've been in Weight Watchers and now I'm thinking about quitting WW because, well a lot of reasons. But I'm thinking about different options and ways I can be happier with myself and IE seems like it's the best fit for me at this point in my life.

I look forward to reading all your posts!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #448  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy8888 View Post
Hey all! I'm thinking about going back into IE. I did it for a while years ago, but I've been in Weight Watchers and now I'm thinking about quitting WW because, well a lot of reasons. But I'm thinking about different options and ways I can be happier with myself and IE seems like it's the best fit for me at this point in my life.

I look forward to reading all your posts!
Welcome Amy! Remember that IE is not a diet plan. It is what normal eaters do, you know those people who seem to eat whatever they want and are still a happy healthy weight? We all know a few, I know soooo many, my husband, my son, friends and family who don't follow diets but follow their own bodies instead. At some point I realized, what the heck am I doing taking advice from niserable failed dieters???? IE helps us understand what normal eating is all about! It's not easy to get advice from normal eaters because they don't know they're doing something amazing, they just... eat and don't think about it. So good for you, get away from dieters!
Old 05-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #449  
Positeva!

S/C/G: 160ish/160ish/125ish

Height: 5'6"

Hi! Great sharing!
I'm new and looking to find something that 'speaks' to me. I like the idea of IE ...sounds like a very respectful, focused and kind practice. Right now I am attempting to educate myself about food, exercise and the balance of information.
cananwill30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:50 AM   #450  

S/C/G: 165/157/145

Height: 5'6"

I was going to make a thread asking if anybody else was trying to lose weight without calorie counting and then I found this... I forgot it had a name. This sounds like a good way to begin a lifestyle change rather than a diet. I decided to not go back to MyFitnessPal (at least not yet) because I find it tedious. I also tend to get obsessed with the numbers and my diet ends up becoming pretty limited. I will have to read more on intuitive eating but just from quickly googling it I think I've found what I was looking for, especially since I tend to eat out of boredom or because I feel the need to finish everything on my plate.
TropicalKitten is offline   Reply With Quote