General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #211  
16/8

S/C/G: 153/151.8/133

Height: 5'6"

Noname--Awesome hikes! Where do you go around where you live? Are there nice places in Delaware, or since the state is small do you travel out to other areas to hike? We've done the White Mountains in New Hampshire and a hike near Mount Maggie (?) in New York near Lake Placid. Around here where we live there are plenty of trails, just through the woods with some hills. Still nice, since we're in the city and it's a nice getaway. But to do anything with really nice scenery we have to go to the Appalachians in the western part of NC. We haven't been in a year or so--looking to go again soon, but we're so busy the next two months! We are going to CO in October to visit family, and hopefully we'll have time for a day or two on our own. Where did you go hiking when you went to CO? Just curious.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #212  
16/8

Hi again! Noname, thanks for the update on Dottington. I'm happy to hear she's doing well. I'm sure the busy-ness is good for fasting! And I heard from wvuchick a couple of weeks ago. She is also doing well, just super busy, but Fast 5 was still going great.

Also, Noname, thanks so much for all your advice on the diet break! I had honestly never heard of or considered that as an option until you did yours back in June. Now I've read up so much on diet breaks, refeeds, whooshes, etc. I feel much more educated now I guess it remains to be seen whether this really helps me lose weight, but I have a good feeling about it!

And yes, I LOVE the treadmill desk! I wish we could have two--one for my office upstairs (where it is now) and one for the living room! Oh well, I'm happy to have it in any case. I got 12,300 steps on it last night working for a couple of hours!
Old 09-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #213  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Delaware is really flat (fun fact - it has the lowest highest point of all the states!), so while there is SOME hiking here in the northern part of the state, we usually have to leave. The trails in state are getting boring, but they are close enough that we can go at a moment's notice. On Saturday we went to Maryland (the state line is only 10 miles away) to explore some new trails. It wasn't anything difficult, but it was new at least. This coming weekend we will be in a different part of Maryland where the trails are more difficult, but it's an hour and a half drive.

Where do you live? We went to the Adirondacks last year and LOVED it. Except I was way too out of shape for the hike we did (Ampersand Mtn - not far from Lake Placid). Definitely the most difficult hiking we have done out east. We camped on an island for a week and got there on a canoe. Such a cool trip. I used to live in WV and did some hiking there but nothing too strenuous. I would love to go back. It's probably very similar to where you went in NC. Sometimes we get up to PA or NJ near the Delaware Water Gap along the AT, which is nice but probably the easier part of the AT! And we made it down to the Blue Ridges this spring. If only I had endless time to drive around to these places

When we were in Colorado, we went into the eastern part of Rocky Mountain National Park, which was about a two hour drive from Denver if I remember correctly. Where does your family live? Since you're going in October, you will probably need to find a trail that is a lower elevation unless you're prepared to hike on snow and ice! There's a lot of trails in the foothills around Denver and Boulder, apparently, as well.

I need some backpacking food ideas for this weekend...I am stumped. Haven't had to plan anything like this for a while, and I am NOT eating another Mountain House meal for a long time. I had too much of that in Colorado. We usually do canned chicken and rice, salami and cheese, things like that. Could use something different.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #214  
16/8

Ha, I figured in Delaware you were close to another state line It sounds like you get out hiking a lot--so nice! We actually live in NC, so the hiking up north was during some long driving trips. We had run the Chicago Marathon (way back when), then drove over to Niagara, then on to Lake Placid. We loved it there so much we nixed our plans to go on to Maine. The other trip we did 6 days backpacking on the AT in the White Mountains--talk about challenging! Ugh! It was beautiful, but treacherous, and scary with the weather! We ended at Mount Washington--well, at the bottom of it--that last bit was probably the worst part!

My dad and his family live in Boulder, CO. So it's very beautiful and close to foothills and mountains, but again, we haven't done a LOT of hiking there due to the kids. Now they're a little older, but we might even leave them with my dad and stepmom while we go up and do a hike I don't know, though, we're also talking about visiting Mount Rushmore on our way in, so that might take up most of our extra time.

We have been to Rocky Mountain National Park, about 10 years ago before kids. We just camped at a campground, but I do remember it was very nice. I'd love to do that again, just crazy to plan with kids and my other family there in CO. Ha, I'm making it sound like kids really ruin your outdoor fun. Not the case (entirely), but it does make it more challenging, and you have to be prepared to move slower and go less distance on everything!

Hmmm, it's been a while since we went backpacking, and we took way too much food on our White Mtn hike. I do remember plenty of Ramen noodles! We did some of the freeze-dried meals, but mostly Ramen I think. We ended up dumping a lot of snacks like dried fruit (too heavy) and maybe some trail mix. Salami and cheese sounds good, but how do you keep the cheese cold? Maybe it's colder up there now--still in the 70s down here!

Have fun this weekend! How fun to be planning it! You're inspiring me and my husband to plan a backpacking trip with the kids next year! We've already looked at some smaller backpacks for our 8-year old to wear
Old 09-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #215  
Call me NNS!

Hard cheese doesn't have to stay refrigerated I actually did some googling and found some good ideas! I put a LOT of energy into planning the food for these trips, I really enjoy it. It's just hard to find a balance between kinda healthy, tasty, cheap, something the bf will like (he's picky - no onions!!!), enough calories but not too many calories. A lot of backpackers will pack very caloric meals, but since neither of us mind losing weight on our trips I try to tone it down a little bit! We don't need 3,500 calories!

Have you been to the Celestial Seasonings factory tour in Boulder?? You should really take the kids! It was so much fun and we especially loved all of the prairie dogs outside of the factory. Plus it's free :P I think the kids have to be 5 and older though. How old is your youngest?

I understand about the need to slow down when you have kids. I think that's why we're going as hard as we are now, gotta get in all the fun stuff before we "settle down" (lol...that's years away...) But I think hiking will be a fun family activity for you guys. Especially if your 8 year old can carry some gear haha! It seems like it would make for an excellent family activity. I bet you have plenty of places close to home, too. Love hearing about your travels. It sounds like you guys had your fair share of adventures pre-kids
Old 09-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #216  

S/C/G: 158.3/148.5/135

Height: 4'11"

So good to hear that Dorothy is doing well!

Lightenup - Super jealous of your desk as well. As a matter of fact, I went online right away to see options I forgot to answer your question about my running. As of now, I run 4-5 days per week. My running schedules are Monday - Thursday and Saturdays. Usually one of those days I slack... like I run slower and take my time on purpose... This week, though, I'll run Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and probably Sunday. I travel on Saturday which is when I normally run and need a break in between.. If not, I'll just run four days. I'm not stressing over it I just need to look at the area of the hotel I'll be staying at to see if I can run in the street or if I need to find a park. I hate running on the treadmill.

Noname - ah! Gotcha! And YES you're very right. 10 lbs is a FANTASTIC loss!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #217  
16/8

Nayla--the treadmill desk I have is the Lifespan 1200-DT5. About a year ago, I saw it online for $1500, looked on Craigslist, and there was one listed for just under half price, right in my town! I got so lucky, and it has been so worth it! If I worked in a regular office I wouldn't be able to use it (not at my workplace, for now anyway), but some companies are allowing employees to have them, or at least buying one or two for coworkers to share at the office. I think it's a great investment for health, since sitting all day is so bad for you. It helps me get my steps in, too!

As for running, that's awesome you can run that often. For now I don't think I can run several days in a row. It gets to my shins. Once I've worked up to it I can, but for now I'm happy enough power walking and doing workouts on Youtube or DVD. I also used to run with hubby, but now with kids, that's not so easy. I think we can do it now, really, with the kids on their riding toys or bikes, and one in the baby jogger, just haven't ventured out to do it yet.

Noname--We have been to Celestial Seasonings! That's funny, I was just thinking the other day that would be fun to go again and take the kids this time. We just might do that. Oh darn, I just remembered you said they have to be 5--our youngest is 3. Yeah, I remember packing up food for our 6-day backpacking trip, and I calculated out all the calories we would need "to sustain us" for the hike. I packed soooo much food, lol. We were unloading it by the last couple of days, just to remove weight. We didn't eat half of what I'd brought. We found with all the exertion, we didn't even want to eat most of the time. It was a great weight loss activity, but of course, that didn't last! Anyway, have fun packing!!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #218  
Call me NNS!

Okay ladies, change of plans! I am starting my maintenance break TODAY! I was so frustrated when I stepped on the scale the day after a fast just to see the same numbers I've been seeing for well over a month now. So I will start today and my next fast won't be until Sept. 29 (so technically I'll only be "skipping" 3 fasts).

I think my plan will be to continue with no breakfast as I have been doing for months, but I'm not really sticking to an eating window. I usually have a fruit & veggie smoothie for lunch, which I will continue. And I'll just have to be mindful of how much I'm eating. I also plan on not drinking at all this week/weekend, and might extend that throughout my whole maintenance break. I know that sounds counter intuitive, but I think it will be refreshing.

I really hope this helps break my plateau. The last time I did a break, I wasn't in the middle of a plateau so this is kinda new to me. I'll still be stepping on the scale to make sure I don't go up too much. And will still be working out at the gym. And posting here!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #219  

Hey Noname - I know first hand how discouraging it can be to see the scale on the same numbers when you've been working so hard! Have fun during your break. Things I'm sure will move on sweets. Breath... relax! Do check-in when you can!!

Lightenup - way to go on the desk score. That's great! I will continue looking for one. I think it would be great for me since I work from home when I'm not traveling.

My fast went well yesterday and my 500 calories were mostly from pasta. I decided to carb load and see how that worked out during my run. And it was great! Great energy this morning. I saw a new number in the scale - down to 148.5 so I'm excited over that. I'm sure it will slow down as I get closer to the 130's, but I'm so excited to get there! My goal is to be 135 by the first week of November. I hope I can attain that goal!! I'm adjusting my ticker so that I can track it (and be more motivated LOL) then I will change it again for my next goal.

Have a great day ladies! Keep up the good work!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:39 PM   #220  
16/8

Noname--I hope your break is great, and gives you lots of energy and results on the scale! Hmmm, I think I did the opposite--drank MORE over my break Of course, I did go up 3 lbs... In any case, I'm still going down on the scale, moving back to where I was before the break. I just hope this does result in a new low soon, and one for you as well! We're due for a good "whoosh" soon!!

Nayla--Congrats on the new number! Isn't that a great feeling! Of course, I haven't been there in a while myself, but here's to hoping Yes, I've always heard that carbo-loading is good for running. My husband is from Italy, hence we're always carbo-loading with pasta and bread! I can't undo that mentality in him, and I can just eat less of it than I used to. But that also means I can't say much about what helps me run better, since I always eat fairly high carb. Good luck on your hunt for a treadmill desk! Best purchase I've made in a while!

I felt rather cruddy from the moment I woke up today until I ate early at 1:30pm. I just felt jittery and weak, even though I know I had at least 1500 calories yesterday. I did stop eating at 7:30pm last night, which is early for me, so maybe that was it? Or maybe the fact that I'm getting more exercise again and also cutting back on calories after the diet break? I don't know, but it moved me to go ahead and eat early for today. I guess I've done okay, at about 1500 cal right now and not really wanting to eat more tonight. Well, maybe a small glass of vino...

ABOUT how many calories do you gals think you're eating while trying to lose? I started out not counting calories, just trying to be "calorie aware", but now I'm finding myself mentally calculating everyday. I keep reading about how eating more calories than people think they should while dieting can help you lose weight, but figuring out that number seems tricky. I was shooting for 1400 calories/day (going over a little most days), but back a couple of years ago I had a goal of 1650 cal/per day and lost well doing that back then. So now I'm going to aim for 1500-1600 per day, especially since I'm on my treadmill desk more now, and it's difficult for me to determine how many exercise calories I'm burning. I mean, it's a lot of moving, so it seems to add up in calories, but it's not really good, fat-burning exercise. Anyway, just curious if you have a number in your head that is ideal for you. 1200 always seemed too low--not going to happen here!

Last edited by lightenup2014; 09-16-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #221  

Good Morning Ladies!

Lightenup - I absolutely love pasta and bread. I think I could've been from Italy HAHA! But I certainly limit my carbs. I usually mostly eat low carb. Most times if I order a sandwich, I take the bread off, etc. But I do love carbs. I'm originally from Puerto Rico - I can't help it! As far as calories go, I'm only 4'11" so super short! My goal on my 16:8 is about 1200 calories, on Fridays I may go over that because most times we eat out on Fridays. It works for me.

Are you ladies drinking lots of water? I'm horrible at drinking water, but the past week I started upping my intake and I feel like it's helping immensely. Oh! And lightenup, for water retention? Drink some hot water with lemon in it! It seriously does the trick!

I saw another new number this morning? I was in shock because I didn't eat the healthiest of foods although I still stayed at the 1200 calories. I had a Klondike cookies and cream ice cream bar... I had a sweet tooth! And enjoyed every bit of it. ha! I will take the low number! Hopefully it doesn't come back to hunt me tomorrow! HAHA! Drinking lots of water today and making healthier choices. No run for me today which I need it.

Have a great day!

Last edited by nayla; 09-17-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #222  
Call me NNS!

Hey ladies. Thursday would normally be a fasting day for me, but I'm eating today! Kind of looking forward to that. I have been eating a small amount for "breakfast" (if you can call a few raisins or a piece of cheese breakfast) just because I've been hungry in the mornings. I think my days of an eating window are gone, and I'm okay with that. Also, I really, really think my hairloss has been improving the last week or so. I wish I knew WHY that was so I could make sure it continues, but maybe it was just a weird fluke.

I went through my fall/winter wardrobe, and a lot of stuff still fits from last year which is great because I don't have to spend as much money, but also a bit disappointing because I had hoped to lose more this year :P I think I was just wearing things that were a bit too small last year, so that's probably why a lot of it still fits! I put a lot of my summer stuff away and some of my bigger clothes. While I was tempted to give a lot of it to Goodwill, I know I would regret it if I gained. So I'm keeping one size up for now, and will go through it all again in a few months.

Got our menu figured out for backpacking. I was tempted to add up all the calories, but that's a lot of work so I decided not to lol I'm excited, but nervous! We will be doing about 23 miles between Friday night and Sunday...14 of those miles will be on Saturday! But I have to remind myself that I did really well in Colorado at much higher elevation with a much heavier pack so I should be fine.

lightenup - You know I don't count calories so I can't answer that :P I'm sure you'll manage to figure it out just by listening to your body!

nayla - Congrats again on the new low! You're doing so well. I drink 3-4 liters of water a day, which is apparently a lot but I've always been a bit of a fish...lol How much water do you drink?
Old 09-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #223  

Good Morning! Same weight here and I'm fine with that! At least it wasn't a gain! It's a fast day for me, then eating my 500 cals in leftover pasta from Monday night! hehe! I had an great run today and hope for an even better one tomorrow morning. I fly out on Saturday to San Diego and I'm nervous. I want to at least maintain my weight!

Noname - I wonder if the hair loss thing was a hormone mixed with summer hair loss. I go through that, too... Yay for that hike! How exciting! I look forward to hearing all about it. Glad that your break is going well! As far as water goes, yesterday I drank 80+ oz.

Have a great day ladies!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #224  
16/8

Hi!

Noname--I know, I know, I just thought maybe you had an overall general IDEA of how many calories I guess I can't wrap my head around NOT keeping track to some degree. Actually, that idea scares me, because I feel sure I would overeat! I'm sorry the eating window isn't working for you. Maybe just a break from it will help. I'm actually finding it harder to not eat before mine, as well, lately, even after the break. But today I'm determined to stick to it, as it really seems the only way to keep me feeling full while still staying within my calorie limit. You'll have to share your menu with me! Sounds like so much fun, enjoy!!

Nayla--Wow, you're doing awesome! Isn't it strange how our bodies work? I hope you continue that downward trend! It seems you've definitely figured out what works for you. I guess I forgot that you were from Puerto Rico, very cool. Do you speak Spanish, then? If so, do you try to teach your kids, or maybe your husband also speaks Spanish? My husband really would love our kids to learn Italian, but with me not really speaking it, it's difficult for them to learn it fluently. They know a lot of words, can count to 20 or so, but can't converse. My husband's family all still speaks Italian, so we hear it a lot, and I can understand a lot, but I'm not comfortable with speaking much.

Well, I'm not doing so well the last couple of days. I've been wanting to eat earlier, and hence, wind up eating a bit more than I'd like to. Not terrible, only a couple hundred per day over, but my weight is sticking now at 144.0. Ugh, it's very frustrating. I guess maybe I got used to not feeling hungry over the diet break, so now hunger is more annoying. Today I'm really going to try to fight it with plenty of fluids, coffee, tea, etc. Plus, I'm pretty busy today, so hopefully that will help!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #225  
Call me NNS!

My calories vary so widely from day to day that it would be silly to give you an estimate. All I know is that when I'm fasting, two days a week I eat less than 500. I didn't want to be tied to counting calories, so as long as I'm losing, I don't count. I really don't know how many I eat.

Getting back after a break can be hard. It's like starting over again and that does mean fighting the hunger! But once you get back to your routine you'll do fine. Water, water, water!!!

The menu is not very healthy, but comfort food is REALLY important to me on long hikes...

Friday Night
Chorizo sausage and instant potatoes (we'll be hiking in only a mile, so we can bring raw meat)

Saturday
Breakfast: Eggs (real eggs, won't spoil overnight) and Hungry Jack dehydrated hash browns (first time trying these, hope they are good! I read a lot of good things on backpacking forums about them) with Starbucks Via instant coffee (a must!)
Lunch: Cheese, salami and Triscuits
Dinner: Dried cheese tortellini, dried pesto and canned chicken (the dried pesto is also a first for us, hope it doesn't suck lol)

Sunday
Breakfast: Luna protein bars and Starbucks Via instant coffee
Lunch: Cheese, salami and triscuits

Snacks: Dried fruit strips, trail mix and peanut M&Ms

We'll probably end up having a nice dinner in Lancaster PA as a treat Can't wait! My favorite Irish pub is there...
Closed Thread