General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #91  

Wannabe wow! I can't believe the kids go to bed so late. It sounds so different over there. Our kids go to bed at 8 and even my 11 year old goes to bed at 8 30. That would drive me crazy. Im sorry you are having such a hard time. I agree with Locke, maybe you should talk to your mom about IE?

Locke that sounds like an awesome weekend and a great start to today!

I found myself in the unique position of being out with no dinner and having no food available to me on Saturday. We were at a festival and the vendor was selling sandwiches. I wasn't hungry THEN but later when I was, they were all sold out. oops! Luckily I had my ever present trail mix in my purse and that surprisingly satisfied me for the rest of the night. I was so glad I always have an emergency food supply with me now.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #92  

Hippie, I know what you mean about emergency food. I've always got plenty of food at work and I carry a chocolate bar in my purse if I'm hungry while I'm out. It's energy dense and gives me a quick pick-me-up, and it keeps me satisfied for hours. It's also one of those ways that I think IE works that makes it so good for changing your lifelong relationship with food. If I can carry a chocolate bar around in my purse at all times without going crazy and eating it whenever the whim strikes me, then I don't really have to worry about those moments in life where food is so inconvenient for the dieter. Birthday cakes, girlscout cookies, fast food, church picnics... all of those times that dieters have to white knuckle through. I don't envy that lifestyle.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #93  
One day at a time.....

S/C/G: 300/242/150

Height: 5'5"

@wannabe: I just can't comment on the horrors you describe. I'm sure it's dandy for them as they live it 365 days a year but it all would make me so bonkers. You are a saint.

@Locke: I feel the same way as you. IE has freed me from the food obsession and when I do obsess I eat it without guilt. One bite or one slice is way better in my book then a binge.

I have been marveling at how good food tastes when you are hungry. It just is so much better that way. My husband made a great dinner last night and I was hungry..... It was euphoric! So.dang.good. that is what I want all the time now. Makes IE so much more doable and understandable. I'm not perfect by any means but when I 'want' cake versus being hungry and having cake, it's unbelievable the taste difference......I hope that makes sense.
jensassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #94  
One day at a time.....

Ok. there is a fine line to my comment above. Today I let myself get "TOO" hungry and I scarfed my lunch down instead of tasting it and really enjoying it. that sucked but I was a little frantic. crap happens - moving on....
Old 07-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensassy View Post
crap happens - moving on....
That should be a bumper sticker

Feeling pretty good, things are starting to settle and I think that even though the food police is present I'm handling it well. Had a good IE day today.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 101/ - /58.8 kgs

Height: 1, 58 m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
That should be a bumper sticker
it is!
Marina Brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #97  

Hello ladies,

The thread has been slow this week. I don't have much to report, just plugging away at IE and life. I've hit a routine with breakfast and lunch but I find myself still overeating a wee bit at dinner time. Not every night, just sometimes. I'm not stuffing myself by any means, just eating a little bit more than feels right. I find myself a little bit hungry when I drift off to sleep sometimes, but it doesn't bother me enough to get up and eat something.

I think the interplay between appetite and hunger is interesting for me. Sometimes I don't feel hungry (the body sensation of hunger), but I have an appetite. Sometimes I don't have an appetite but I'm hungry. I find eating when I'm hungry and have and appetite is the best approach. That moment is difficult to describe in words but it is becoming more apparent every day. I'm hungry and have an appetite right now- I'm sipping on a mocha and if I'm still hungry after finishing I'll probably have a boiled egg or two.

Keep calm and IE on!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #98  

How has everyone been doing? I have been doing good. I got a book from the library that I have been interested in for a while called "Life is hard food is easy." It focuses more on dieting than an IE book but it is so great for my emotional eating stuff! I think its the best book on emotional eating I have read so far for myself. Maybe I am just in the right place at the right time to be able to put the messages to use.

eta: Hi Locke! I didn't see you there. I know what you mean about appetite and hunger. I only like to eat most of the time if they are both in play. I find myself going to bed a little hungry every night now because if I don't, then Im not hungry for breakfast and I really do enjoy breakfast these days.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 07-25-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #99  
One day at a time.....

Hey ya 'all.....

I've been around but as usual super busy with kids, work, life, you name it....and not much has been happening.

I had another one of those days last week where I was "SO" tired. I think I worked out too much and my adrenals are telling me to slow down. I didn't handle it the greatest - spent a lot of time on the couch with a bag of peanut M&Ms but I felt that is what I needed - no guilt.

Then this morning was my weigh in day since I weigh once a month. I'm disappointed, sad, frustrated, and just bleh. I gained 2 pounds. - still down a net of 1 pound but still. I have been eating when I'm hungry - usually and I'm not eating until I'm stuffed or anything like that. AND I've been working out like a mad woman. I don't believe in this muscle weighs more than fat crap (a pound is a pound regardless) but I know I've definitely gained muscle which is my overall goal. I have one of those fat/muscle reading machines so I think I'm going to start using that on my weigh in day too and track my progress.

Anyway, I'm having all these feelings of failure that I can't even do IE. That I should go back to dieting because it's the only thing for me. All that negative self talk is flooding back and I'm trying really hard to remember the freedom I now have and how I'm not obsessed with good vs bad food and food in general. How I'm so much happier just cooking one meal for all of us and not 2 because mine has to be so different. I don't have to worry about what's ON something or not and it all has just been so freeing and wonderful.

Has anyone else experienced this? no weight loss? or weight gain on IE?
Old 07-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #100  

@Jen

I've been stuck at this weight for a while but I've noticed my habits have been changing. I don't think I'll be here for much longer (in fact I've already lost a few pounds I just haven't bothered to change my current weight). For me I got stuck in a restriction cycle for a month or two and I think that's the cause of my being stuck. I've only really been eating what I want for a few weeks (really, truly what I want) and I've noticed the weight start to go down. You just have to have faith- this is a process oriented technique and not a goal oriented technique.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #101  

Aww Jen you sound so down! I am sorry. I agree with Locke. This is a process oriented technique, not a goal oriented technique. It's also about much much more than weight. It's like weight is a side effect of what you are doing. It's more about your relationship with food and yourself. Also, weight is so wildly fluctuating, if you only weigh yourself once a month you could have weighed yourself on a day that you just happened to weigh more. Please try not to give too much importance to that number.

For me the biggest thing I have done is really started feeling my emotions and expressing them. The past couple of days 2 things have happened that made me feel like I just wanted a big bowl of ice cream. Nothing wrong with that except that I wasn't hungry and I recognized that there must be some underlying emotion to make me want that. i have been doing some of the exercises in the book I mentioned above and its been really helpful. I realized my biggest urges to eat my emotions away are when they are conflicting or contradictory. Like Im happy AND sad, or Im sad AND mad. Especially if its toward a family member. I guess I have a hard time facing those kinds of emotions. I still feel drawn to eat when I feel that way but sometimes I just work through my emotions or talk about it instead.

Wannabe has some great stuff about external versus internal progress. Maybe she will pop on and give some of her great wisdom.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 07-28-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #102  
One day at a time.....

Thanks Locke and Pinkhippie!!!

Yesterday I picked up a book - for some reason I'm into YA novels - it's so weird! but one of the girls had a raging eating disorder and you got inside her head. It made me so sad that I was once that girl, starving myself silly and then realized how much IE has done for me these past few months.

I found myself debating yesterday about all my food, do I really need that? Is that a good choice? blah blah ... all these old behaviors haunting me... and then late last night I finished the book and thought nope -- I just can't go back to that ever.

THEN, this morning, this email came through: http://isabelfoxenduke.com/why-scale...you-binge-eat/

I'm not sure what to make of this other than I know hopping on the scale yesterday totally made me LOSE IT after I had been doing so well. I was resolved yesterday to get on the scale more than once a month and now I read this post above and think, shoot - does this mean I shouldn't get on the scale at all????

I'm pretty confused today.

Last edited by jensassy; 07-29-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #103  

Jen,

I get that blog emailed to me and I immediately thought of you when I read it this morning. I have been thinking about ditching the scale entirely, too, except for at the doctor's office once a year. I'm afraid to do it, to be honest. I'm afraid that if I can't monitor my weight at least occasionally that it will get out of control. Of course my weight did get out of control even though I have had a scale for years and years. What is the worse that could happen? I could gain weight and not know that I'm gaining weight. If I gained a significant enough amount it would obviously register in how my clothes fit. I'd also lose the encouragement that I get when I lose a few pounds. But even this encouragement has its downsides- usually when I lose a few pounds on the scale I start restricting. Yes, I think I will ditch the scale in my house for good.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 101/ - /58.8 kgs

Height: 1, 58 m

The scale is a big friend of mine and i wouldn't give up on weighing myself. I weigh daily and by doing it i've come to learn that my weigh fluctuates A LOT and i've made peace with it. If the scale goes up i don't panic or feel bad, i just use this information as a valid input that helps me understand how my body reacts to salt, exercise, sugar, or whatever factor that may affect my weight. I disagree with the blogger when she writes "... scales are particularly insidious because they’re designed for the exclusive purpose of judging ourselves"; scales are designed to measure something and what we do with this mesurement is completely up to us. Of course i get that some people may distance themselves from their natural body signs by weighing daily or weekly. Weighing can also become an obsession, but this is not a rule. I feel that weighing myself daily helps me understand my body cycles and STOP obsessing with each and every weigh variation as it becomes clear that sometimes my weight will go up even tough i've eaten healthy and exercised. If anyone does ditch their scales, please tell us how it goes. I'm actually curious and i believe it could be a better alternative for some people giving that we each have our own strategies and approaches whe it comes to body, weight, self image, etc.

Last edited by Marina Brasil; 07-29-2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: added some more stuff
Marina Brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #105  

Hi Jensassy!

I like YA novels too. ED books are rough for me to read too. I can relate too much to them.

Im torn on the scale too. I like to see my daily fluctuations because it really shows me that my weight is highly variable depending on many different factors and it makes the number less important. But, it's still tracking and I don't know if I want to do that anymore.

and you know what is funny? I didn't eat those bowls of ice cream when I was feeling conflicted but because I didn't eat them, like 3 days later I am still thinking about ice cream because I didn't have any and today I will have some. So, yeah. It's totally a journey and I have to be careful even when Im trying to meet my needs in other ways besides food. Sometimes I think I still need food to meet some needs that are not hunger related. And that is OK.