General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/165/130

Height: 5' 5''

Default Tips on setting goals

So I wanted to share a tidbit of advice that I think may be common knowledge for some, and helpful for others.

This is a very popular time of the year for setting goals. It's exciting and motivating.

I think it's important that you set your goals in "chunks" and not yearly goals. While I might set vague and/or “lofty” goals for a year (or longer), I only get into the nitty gritty for three months.

Why?

Because in my experience, 3 months is the perfect time frame for planning. You can get a LOT done in 3 months. And it's almost like a "light at the end of the tunnel".

1 year is too long. If you aren't achieving smaller goals, you may lose motivation and momentum. And without momentum you procrastinate.

So in short: set smaller, attainable goals for 3 months from now. Win those small battles. Winning the small battles helps build momentum. Once you have that momentum going, nothing can stop you!
TinyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

I completely agree. That's why I've been getting my DXA scans (which results in re-evaluating & re-setting my goals) every 3.5 months.

Mind you, I also have a reward at the halfway point for calorie logging. I find it necessary for me because after 2 months I'm starting to fall off track otherwise.

I suspect we all have our own attainable goal lengths, but I don't think there are very many people out there who would work well with a one year time scale. Probably it ranges from about a week to four months, I think. And it depends on the goal, too. Easier things might not need as much follow up, but weight loss ain't easy!
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #3  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I think this is great advice; I would only add that some (if not most or all) of your goals should be action-based goals rather than results-based goals.

A good action-based goal is "stay on plan for three months," or "get to the gym 4 times a week for three months," or "try a new recipe once a week for three months" or "only eat chocolate once a week for three months."

A results-based goal is "lose 15 pounds in three months" or "wear size 8 in three months."

I much encourage the action-based type of goal because it is based entirely on what you do or do not do; whether you meet the goal or not is within your control. Results-based goals can be more frustrating because the results often depend upon factors that are beyond your control. You can control what you eat; it's harder to control the rate at which you lose weight. You can control how often you exercise; you cannot control whether the weight comes off your hips or some other part of your body.

So, I strongly encourage you: Focus on your actions and let the results follow.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 192/165/130

Height: 5' 5''

Quote:
I suspect we all have our own attainable goal lengths, but I don't think there are very many people out there who would work well with a one year time scale. Probably it ranges from about a week to four months, I think.
You're right! I should have said that 3 months was best in my OPINION. Everyone should find out what time frame works best for them. If you are brand new to goal setting, try 1 week. Sure you might not lose much in 1 week, but it helps train your mind.

1 week goals are perfect for winning those small battles. Which I truly think are key!

Quote:
So, I strongly encourage you: Focus on your actions and let the results follow.
YES! Great addition.

Last edited by TinyTiger; 01-13-2015 at 11:48 AM.
TinyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote