3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > General Diet Plans and Questions

General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Trying 'almost' gluten-free

Old 07-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #16
One day at a time.....

S/C/G: 300/242/150

Height: 5'5"

Going gluten free will not help you lose weight and it should not be used for that at all.

Have you hard of following a paleo diet? This might be what you are looking for. Also helps with many aliments like aspergers.

Good luck!
jensassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #17

Gluten, rice, corn, potatoes, fried foods and sweets elimination! That I have noticed definitely works. You'll feel more energized without gluten and the rest of those will not add pounds especially in the belly…..your body wants protein, veggies and fruit.
leanmeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #18

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsia View Post

My question was - does it have to be absolutely totally 100% wheat free to get the benefit, or would cutting down to maybe 95% do me any good at all.

Does it have to be all or nothing?
There is no such thing as all or nothing, especially when it comes to our diet. Learning to care for our bodies requires that we really stop and listen to its needs. Back when I was dieting I was doing low carb, low wheat because that's what everyone said I should be doing. My body disagreed and reacted by binging. Once I got my binging under control I started paying very close attention to how food was making me feel truly inside.

I eat much less wheat now, my pasta portions are small, I tend to choose potatoes or rice over bread, I remove a lot of bread from burgers and sandwiches etc. Generally our culture has evolved to eat very large portion sizes and too much carbs - probably because they are the cheapest form of food and because out diet was promoted by the old food pyramid.

I don't advocate an all or nothing diet. I have not given up anything, I eat moderately and primarily vegetables and proteins. But I've cut down dramatically on wheat products, simply because I don't feel good if I eat too much of it. I would never ever give up wheat entirely, I just eat it in human portion sizes lol.

A recent study by the scientist who originally proposed the idea of a gluten sensitivity conducted a new study and found that there is no such thig as a "gluten sensitivity" in people who do not suffer with celiac. Food for thought. http://www.forbes.com/sites/rosspome...may-not-exist/

“If you try to lose weight by shaming, depriving and fearing yourself, you will end up shamed, deprived, and afraid.” Geneen Roth
Wannabeskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #19

S/C/G: 266/ticker/154

Height: 5'6"

For what it's worth, I am 90% gluten free and I feel much better than when I didn't pay attention to it. I didn't really realize the problems it was causing me until I stopped eating it regularly (joint pain, gi issues, water retention). I don't swap gluten free bread for regular bread - I just eat way less bread. I make treats with coconut flour instead of wheat flour - lots more fiber. I use veggies to dip in my hummus instead of crackers. That kind of thing.
Anyway, as for weight loss, I lose very slowly, no matter what I eat. But the amount of water I retain is in direct relationship to the amount of gluten filled foods I consume.
So to answer your question I think no, it is not all or nothing (unless you have celiac disease). The best thing you can do it try it and see how you feel.

230, 220, 216; 199; 186; 154
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #20
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/130

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I don't appreciate people who tell you it has to be all or nothing. Do give it a try and see how you feel, in terms of hunger, energy, cravings and emotions. I'm not gluten intolerant, but I notice a difference in myself.

I eat a low-gluten diet, avoiding wheat. Without a wheat staple, I find it easier to eat more vegetables, end up eating fewer calories without much effort. Overall my eating is healthier and after about three years, it's habit. At restaurants and as a guest I'll make an exception - and won't to feel guilty about it. 9maybe a little gassy and bloated, though! )

On a dieting level, I'm not sure. I still need to count calories to lose weight.

On a health level, gas issues are much, much better. In terms of mental health, I've had very few terrible binges.

Good luck! Let us know how you feel after - everyone is different!

Please msg me and ask what I'm up to!
MyFitnessPal: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/souvenirdarling
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.