General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: No

Height: No thank you.

Default Protein intake rate?

I read that you can only take in 30 grams of protein in one sitting, but how much time is needed before you can eat/take in another 30 grams?
rich8ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #2  

Total myth, your body absorbs what you eat, it doesn't stop at a magic number.

That being said, some research indicates that protein synthesis tops out at 20g per serving, which would mean that you should eat AT LEAST 20g of protein for each meal, but you can absolutely consume more than that.

More important, IMHO, what is your total protein intake for the day? Is it below 1g/kg of bodyweight? Then you should eat more, 'cause apparently the ideal is closer to 1.5-2g protein/kg of bodyweight. Go figure.

Last edited by Defining; 06-12-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Ideal if you are bodybuilding. I try to get close to 1g/1lb of bodyweight. For normal people, much less is required than that (56g per day for a sedentary man).
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: No

Height: No thank you.

Thank you Defining, that is what I was looking for.

I agree, if you are not lifting weights on a regular basis, then you could get by on less then 1g/1kg.
rich8ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #5  

Um, 1g/kg bodyweight is actually a safe number for minimum protein intake - below that and you MAY slowly begin to lose muscle. RDI is a minimum of 0.8g/kg.... But with the goal of losing fat, protein should be MUCH higher in an effort to prevent lean tissue loss during calorie restriction and body recomposition.

As well, some of the more recent literature suggests that it is difficult for your body to convert energy from protein into fat, so it's kind of the 'safe' macronutrient to max out on, during weight loss.

http://evidencemag.com/dieting-protein-needs/

Last edited by Defining; 06-12-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
As well, some of the more recent literature suggests that it is difficult for your body to convert energy from protein into fat, so it's kind of the 'safe' macronutrient to max out on, during weight loss.
I agree on the last point. I can eat tons of fish, not lose weight but not gain either. My body can't turn protein to fat.

It's maintenance in a can (I eat 35-42 cans of fish a week!).

But I mostly eat protein because I work out so much and it helps me recover/avoid injury.

Last edited by IanG; 06-13-2014 at 10:16 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote