3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Intuitive Eating: June 2014 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/296493-intuitive-eating-june-2014-a.html)

Locke 06-21-2014 04:35 PM

Good morning, Ladies. I've been proofing a loaf of sourdough bread for two days and just got to eat a steaming fresh slice with my eggs with morning. :) Today is a good day.

Pinkhippie 06-22-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jensassy (Post 5027458)
Hey suzzie. I hate mindful eating too, but alas in order to do IE, we have to. Now today I was so busy that I was less tuned into my hunger, but once I started to eat, I tried to slow down and determine my fullness, this helped and the good thing was that today was one of those weird days for me when hunger was less aparent until I started eating. With this I just used some regular meal times and made sure it had been at least 3-4 hours since I last ate. Some days are just like this.

As far as eating without distractions...... I need to do a major overhaul. I think I'll try not to eat at my desk at least one a week to start. I also need to slow down and really savor my food.... All works in progress.

What could make it less boring for you? Candlelight? Fancy dishes? Fancy napkins? Light music? Think about it? But always put your food on a plate. The "beyond chocolate" gals recommend that as a must have practice.

I had a really really hard time with this when I first started. I still have to stop myself from looking at my phone or something when Im eating sometimes. What helped me was to just focus on my food. When I first started mindfully eating with no distraction I realized eating was a really anxious experience for me. I was thinking about if I was hungry enough, if I was eating what I really wanted, if I should be eating something else, if I was eating too much, if what I was eating was too caloric, what I would eat later... etc... etc... So yeah no wonder I liked to distract myself while I was eating. Over time that has faded and now when I focus on my food I find myself thinking things like "wow these eggs taste perfect!" 'I love the crunch and sweetness of my toast." " Im so glad I made eggs for breakfast" ( these were my thoughts from breakfast this morning). But it took me a while to get here. Now I really enjoy focusing on my food. It's all part of the experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locke (Post 5027891)
Good morning, Ladies. I've been proofing a loaf of sourdough bread for two days and just got to eat a steaming fresh slice with my eggs with morning. :) Today is a good day.

Yum! Sounds delicious!

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I have had kind of a crazy weekend, lots of upheaval but I found myself only thinking of food when I was actually hungry and that was really cool! I hope that keeps up as I go into the week. Last night there some homemade cookies on the counter. I ate about half a cookie and then I was like, you know I don't really want this taste. I really want a sweet juicy crispy apple. And, so I put the half eaten cookie back into the bag and went and ate an apple and it was soooo good. That was an unheard of scenario before IE and before I stopped dieting. :) We went out to eat constantly this weekend and I had no trouble knowing when I had had just enough and stopping when I was satisfied. And bonus I have lots of leftovers for lunches. :)

How is everyone else doing?

CountryLiving 06-22-2014 01:17 PM

Well I'm done panicking! A couple of weeks ago I found out my cholesterol was high and I completely freaked out, went on a low carb diet and now here I am again back at IE! No wonder my cholesterol is high as many times as I've yo-yo'd back and forth with this stupid LC thing. I almost made it 2 weeks LC and yesterday I had ENOUGH. Today I'm packing up every LC book/recipe I have and giving it to my mom. I'm literally killing myself going back to it again and again. I've realized there is no way I can live my life like that and the deprivation was awful. 2x I sat there watching my kids eat ice cream and it about killed me! I feel like I have a greater grasp at the freedom IE gives us. It has really been a wake up call for me. I figure over time my weight will go down and that will help my cholesterol. I think stopping the yo-yoing alone will be a great help in itself!

Palestrina 06-22-2014 01:55 PM

I have an uncanny craving for fresh sourdough bread ;)

Countryliving, I can imagine sitting there watching kids eat ice cream and literally killing you. That is what low carbing does to me. Sure sure you get enticed by this so called transition period Where supposedly you overcome your desires for carbs and it supposedly gets less and less enticing but who are we kidding? Deep down inside I don't want to hate cake. I just don't want to.

Wanna know te truth? Allowing yourself to have ice cream without restriction may start off with some Overeating of ice cream. But eventually you'll be able to watch your kid eat it and think "I don't like that flavor, I'll wait till we buy my favorite flavor instead". It sounds like you're stuck on the legalization step. It's not easy, I will admit that. It requires complete trust in yourself like falling backwards into a strangers arms. If you think you're going to regret it chances are you won't go through it at all. I've put my self through the paces of it and I swear to you that it works. I do have to continuously revisit it every time I lose some weight because losing weight triggers my diet mentality but at least now I know how to legalize. I suggest reading up a little more about the legalization process because even an ounce of "I really shouldn't eat this" can lead to doom. Doom!

Locke 06-22-2014 05:39 PM

@Country living- low carb is one of the things I fall back into from time to time. It's so appealing because it's so simple. "Don't eat bread" or "Don't eat refined carbs" and you will lose weight. There aren't any long term studies to show that eating low carb is healthy, though, and even though scientists are challenging the link between saturated fat and heart disease the science isn't as settled as many low carb advocates claim.

jensassy 06-22-2014 08:49 PM

Locke: I love fresh bread!!! Low carbing it is a diet I did for um, 2 days. No thanks.

Pinkhippie: you.are.my.hero. I live for the day that I choose fruit over a sweet treat!!!!

Countryliving: welcome back to freedom.

Wannabeskinny: am I delusional or did your weight ticker go down? :dizzy:

I had a busy weekend. I notice when I'm super busy and frazzled I can't tell if I'm hungry. I hate meditating. But maybe I need to start doing something so I can tune in. So instead I found myself eating at meal times, and only until comfortable. I did catch myself doing some soothing eating after visiting my in laws but quickly snapped out of it. Whew. It was crazy and I did think wth?... And then immediately no judgement and i moved on. :o

Palestrina 06-22-2014 09:35 PM

My ticker went down yes it did :) this is the lowest freakin weightloss
I've ever had but it's sooooo worth it.

Mindful eating is difficult if you hate it. But it can be done and when you learn how to do it in a way that works for you you're gonna love it. Do what you can. Do it the hard way just once or once a day if you can stand it. It IS a form of meditation of sorts and you know what they say, those who hate it the most need it the most. You have to go through the motions of it to really understand it, this is not a mental thing, think of it more in a physical way instead. Hey, you want to get in touch with your body's needs? This is it. Don't think, just do. Think about each bite you will take. Anticipate it. Feel the explosion of flavor in your mouth. Did you like it? Gosh there's a million things to focus on while you're eating, it's hardly boring if you think about it. What an amazing machine the body is: insert food trough this opening, mastic ate thoroughly, send the food down this long pipe and then it swirls and twirls around in there doing god knows what before it... Well you know.

Pick one meal that you can do this. Breakfast is usally a qiuet affair here, its my most mindful meal. Dont try doing it all the time, that's tough as a beginner. I can't tell you what you learn when you eat slowly, because its too much info to convey. Lets just say that you come face to face with your hunger and satiety, finally.

Like any skill practiced, mindful eating becomes second nature. I became aware that eating slowly when I was hungry was a wicked torture. So now I eat normally at the beginning of my meal until the urgency of hunger is appeased then I slowl down considerably then I do an abrupt halt for several minutes just to take a break and reevaluate my hunger. At this point I usually stop eating although not always.

It's important to go through the process if mindful eating alone without distraction because even though it feels boring and unnecessary we're building a secret skill that we will need when things aren't so boring, like when were at a party, when we're intoxicated, or nervous, or out at our favorite restaurant with friends. If you can't listen to your inner voice when you are alone and undistracted then how on earth are you going to hear it per the buzz of a social outing?

Mindful eating is always my first line if defense when things are hectic in my life and mind. When I'm having a tough few days I think "ok just sit here and enjoy this sandwich and all will be ok." Because mindful eating has become a calming centering activity, and it has helped me learn how to enjoy food and enjoy the act of nurturing myself.

You can do it!!

jensassy 06-23-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny (Post 5028482)
My ticker went down yes it did :) this is the lowest freakin weightloss
I've ever had but it's sooooo worth it.

CONGRATS!! I thought it looked different! so proud of you and happy for you! :carrot:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny (Post 5028482)
Mindful eating is difficult if you hate it. ......... You can do it!!

Yes. I know, right? I just got a reminder today to use "positive" words during difficult times like "mindful eating is something that I look forward to mastering in order to give me freedom from food" or something like that. So I will try doing that and I'm also going to try and do a 1 minute mediation before eating to tune and see how hungry I am. It is the following:

5 seconds breathe in
5 seconds hold breath
5 seconds release breath
repeat 4 times (which equals 60 seconds or 1 minute)

Everyone has one minute. I got both of these tid bits of wisdom from Gabrielle Bernstein - or at least I looked them up because of all of your great wisdom, so thank you! I appreciate your experience and directness!!

But mostly this whole being beside myself and then not being able to tune in is a big problem. I lead a busy life and these are skills I need to know and get used to in order to be successful with IE. Always a work in progress!!!

here's to another week practicing IE in which we will all be successful! (positive words, my friends!!)

Pinkhippie 06-23-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jensassy (Post 5028458)
Locke: I love fresh bread!!! Low carbing it is a diet I did for um, 2 days. No thanks.

Pinkhippie: you.are.my.hero. I live for the day that I choose fruit over a sweet treat!!!!

Yeah I could never /would never do that whole low carb thing. I love bread too. It will totally happen for you too Jensassy! Once you equalize an apple with a cookie, you will be free to think about what you really want and what sounds good. It won't always be a cookie. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jensassy (Post 5028803)
CONGRATS!! I thought it looked different! so proud of you and happy for you! :carrot:

Yes. I know, right? I just got a reminder today to use "positive" words during difficult times like "mindful eating is something that I look forward to mastering in order to give me freedom from food" or something like that. So I will try doing that and I'm also going to try and do a 1 minute mediation before eating to tune and see how hungry I am. It is the following:

5 seconds breathe in
5 seconds hold breath
5 seconds release breath
repeat 4 times (which equals 60 seconds or 1 minute)

Everyone has one minute. I got both of these tid bits of wisdom from Gabrielle Bernstein - or at least I looked them up because of all of your great wisdom, so thank you! I appreciate your experience and directness!!

But mostly this whole being beside myself and then not being able to tune in is a big problem. I lead a busy life and these are skills I need to know and get used to in order to be successful with IE. Always a work in progress!!!

here's to another week practicing IE in which we will all be successful! (positive words, my friends!!)

Thanks for the mindfulness meditation technique. I am one of those that hates meditating so this seems like a nice way to ease into it.

Yesterday I really wanted to eat when I wasn't hungry. I thought maybe it was because I was bored because it was a relaxing day, but looking back, I think it might have been anxiety and stress but I didn't want to admit I was stressed out or anxious. I have a hard time dealing with anxiety. A really hard time. I HATE feeling anxious and I don't know what to do. It feels very overwhelming and hopeless. (until I eat a bowl of ice cream or a bowl of cereal or something) I am totally a candidate for regular meditation. I just need to do it.

Nanu 06-24-2014 05:40 AM

I'm nearly finished the Overcoming Overeating book. What a revelation.

One thing I've found really interesting is when they say think about exactly what you want to eat and how it will feel in your stomach. If it's not quite right, adjust.

I was on my way home the other day thinking about what I wanted for dinner. I am a bit lazy and tend to buy ready meals or get a take-away (food for 1). Because this isn't really what I'm after, I tend to eat until I'm stuffed just to feel some satisfaction. This time however, I really thought about it and a light rice and curry dish I used to have when I was a child came into my head. I knew there was no way to get exactly that unless I made it myself from scratch. So I went to the shop on a mission, I knew exactly what I wanted, I went home and cooked it. I was a bit generous with the portion and felt slightly uncomfortable at the end but I didn't feel like going for seconds or thirds.

suzzie2525 06-24-2014 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jensassy (Post 5027458)
Hey suzzie. I hate mindful eating too, but alas in order to do IE, we have to. Now today I was so busy that I was less tuned into my hunger, but once I started to eat, I tried to slow down and determine my fullness, this helped and the good thing was that today was one of those weird days for me when hunger was less aparent until I started eating. With this I just used some regular meal times and made sure it had been at least 3-4 hours since I last ate. Some days are just like this.

As far as eating without distractions...... I need to do a major overhaul. I think I'll try not to eat at my desk at least one a week to start. I also need to slow down and really savor my food.... All works in progress.

What could make it less boring for you? Candlelight? Fancy dishes? Fancy napkins? Light music? Think about it? But always put your food on a plate. The "beyond chocolate" gals recommend that as a must have practice.

Good questions! I'm not sure what will make it less boring. I'm so used to multitasking while eating that it just seems really foreign to JUST eat! LOL I got the Beyond Chocolate book but have yet to read it, I think I'll start that tonight. I like the thought of just picking one meal or one time a week to practice. I'm trying at every meal and not doing very well. Since eating lunch at work is where I tend to overeat (mindlessly eating candy and junk in my office) I think I will focus on that meal for now to really practice. Thanks!

suzzie2525 06-24-2014 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkhippie (Post 5029072)
Yesterday I really wanted to eat when I wasn't hungry. I thought maybe it was because I was bored because it was a relaxing day, but looking back, I think it might have been anxiety and stress but I didn't want to admit I was stressed out or anxious. I have a hard time dealing with anxiety. A really hard time. I HATE feeling anxious and I don't know what to do. It feels very overwhelming and hopeless. (until I eat a bowl of ice cream or a bowl of cereal or something) I am totally a candidate for regular meditation. I just need to do it.

I can totally relate. I don't do anxious well at all! Not only do I not do well with it when I experience it, I don't do well around others that are really anxious. Definitely a feeling that sets off mindless eating for me.

suzzie2525 06-24-2014 07:10 AM

I've seen several books mentioned here---anyone have any votes on which you liked best and why? I have Beyond Chocolate and Intuitive Eating--haven't read either yet. Also Overfed Head which I did read but wasn't really that impressed with. I mean it was a good introduction to the concept, but that was about it for me. I tried his concept awhile back which seems to be eating until hunger is gone (rather than until satisfied or full). I get why he lost so much weight---that plan will certainly work but it felt like yet another diet to me. Anyway---if you have read several and could do it all over again, which would you read first?

Palestrina 06-24-2014 08:16 AM

There's half a cake in my fridge. This is a cake emergency. I'm a little angry at this cake. I ordered it for my son's bday party from this amazing bakery that makes awesome cakes. It was expensive and I bought the small cake because of it - was told it would feed 15 people. We ended up having 25 people so I cut everyone very thin slices just to make sure I didn't run out at the party. I may have been too prudent because half the cake remained and I couldn't get anyone to go for seconds. I put it in the fridge so it wouldn't melt in the sun and then forgot to give it away at the end of the party. Now it's staring at me. I had a delicious piece the next day and it made me feel sick to my stomach. Hubby doesn't eat cake (imagine I'm saying that sentence in the most sarcastic annoyed voice ever).

So here's the dilemma. Over the past couple of months I have noticed that whenever I eat a substantial sweet such as a slice of cake, a cupcake or a donut I feel sick to my stomach. I can't eat anything for hours afterwards and possibly the next day. I get a physical sensation that makes me wish I never are it to begin with. Knowing all this, why do I not swear off cakes and sweets? Like now I'm thinking "mmm, I'd like a piece of cake!" Knowing full well that I'll probably feel sick after. This never happened before I did IE, cake did not affect me like that. What do I do? Do I eat some cake until the message finally drives home? Will I wake up one day and be like hubby who doesn't eat cake? Am I making too big a deal about this cake?

jensassy 06-24-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanu (Post 5029295)
I'm nearly finished the Overcoming Overeating book. What a revelation.

One thing I've found really interesting is when they say think about exactly what you want to eat and how it will feel in your stomach. If it's not quite right, adjust.

I was on my way home the other day thinking about what I wanted for dinner. I am a bit lazy and tend to buy ready meals or get a take-away (food for 1). Because this isn't really what I'm after, I tend to eat until I'm stuffed just to feel some satisfaction. This time however, I really thought about it and a light rice and curry dish I used to have when I was a child came into my head. I knew there was no way to get exactly that unless I made it myself from scratch. So I went to the shop on a mission, I knew exactly what I wanted, I went home and cooked it. I was a bit generous with the portion and felt slightly uncomfortable at the end but I didn't feel like going for seconds or thirds.

This sounds like great success for a beginner!! Congrats!!!