General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/182/155

Height: 5'8

Default Who else has been stuck?

Hey, just making a quick post because I am very disappointed and confused!
It feels like I have been battling getting this last 20 pounds off for over 5 months (to be honest, it's been over 5 months I think)

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't get past it!!! I'm getting so frustrated because I'm trying my best and nothing is happening. I was stuck at 220 for a long time but at the moment I'm 222lbs.

The lowest I made it down to was 211.

For a while I thought my scale was broken cause the number was the same.

It's hard...

Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by df180; 05-20-2014 at 01:53 AM.
df180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Same boat as you! I've been wondering "does my body like my current weight???" It's frustrating because my goal is 175 (works out great on my 5'10" frame) but I'm wavering at this stupid 190-195 range.

I keep track on myfitnesspal so I felt like I was keeping good track. I did go back though and take a good look and realized I'm failing in some other areas...sodium consumption, lack of fiber, and maybe just maybe getting more calories than I think (damn cheese is a downfall for me and I realized I add it to everything and maybe I'm forgetting to add it to my tracker)

I watch my own calories and exercise by walking, going to the gym, and participating in 5k's. One thing I think I'm going to do is maybe follow a more structured diet (LOL I hate the word diet but you know what I mean!) I think I need to shake my eating up a bit. I focus on high protein low carb due to blood sugar issues, however, I think my lack of fiber is really slowing things down. To put it delicately I need to get things moving!

I wish I had some wise/sage words to tell you! I will tell you this, don't give up! The main thing is trying to achieve a lifestyle goal so hang in there! Maybe re-evaluate what you're eating and doing. I've had many uh huh moments realizing I was consuming too little or too much. I've also read about the benefits of eating in your calorie range but doing "high" and "low" calorie days...so that's something else to ponder! Good luck! Believe me I'm in the same boat being MONTHS at a standstill but I keep telling myself "Don't give up!" I may not be moving forward but I'm NOT going back!!!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 318/263/258

Height: 5'6"

I've been stuck for a while and as frustrating as it is, at least I'm not gaining.
shrewlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #4  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

The basic formula for weight loss is that you have to have a 500 calorie deficit per day to lose 1 pound per week. Do you have that? Are you positive? Have you calculated your ideal caloric intake? Are you tracking, weighing, and measuring your food? If you're trying to create that deficit via exercise, are you overestimating your caloric burn?

Once you are 100% certain you have a deficit, but are still not losing weight, consider some other factors. Maybe the ideal caloric intake for your height/weight is a bit too high for you and needs to be lowered. Maybe it's a medical issue - thyroid, insulin resistance, etc. Maybe you're stressed or not sleeping enough, which can throw your whole body out of balance and impact your weight loss. Maybe you need to adjust your your macronutrients (carbs, fat, protein) - see if increasing/decreasing those numbers makes a difference. Maybe the way your body reacts to certain foods or food combinations is causing a problem - try eliminating some grains, or adding some healthy fats like avocado, or something - and see if you notice any results.

Also, are you taking your measurements in addition to weighing on the scale? If you're building muscle while losing fat you won't see a change on the scale because you're basically exchanging one for the other. But although a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh exactly the same (obviously) muscle is smaller than fat so you'll see a change in your measurements even though the scale stays the same.

Last edited by Novus; 05-20-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I have been stuck since january but have been toning up and my clothing size has gone down. I am 54 and have been overwieght since 3rd grade. I am at 189 this morning and go down as low as 187 and as high as 193 at times. I'd like to get below 170 (after that I will see where I want to be) but getting used to not being close to 300 pounds takes a lot of mental energy. I am a diabetic and that adds to the mental energy too. I am eating on plan but I know that when I'm ready I'll be trying to eat less of the plan
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 297/182/155

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post
The basic formula for weight loss is that you have to have a 500 calorie deficit per day to lose 1 pound per week. Do you have that? Are you positive? Have you calculated your ideal caloric intake? Are you tracking, weighing, and measuring your food? If you're trying to create that deficit via exercise, are you overestimating your caloric burn?

Once you are 100% certain you have a deficit, but are still not losing weight, consider some other factors. Maybe the ideal caloric intake for your height/weight is a bit too high for you and needs to be lowered. Maybe it's a medical issue - thyroid, insulin resistance, etc. Maybe you're stressed or not sleeping enough, which can throw your whole body out of balance and impact your weight loss. Maybe you need to adjust your your macronutrients (carbs, fat, protein) - see if increasing/decreasing those numbers makes a difference. Maybe the way your body reacts to certain foods or food combinations is causing a problem - try eliminating some grains, or adding some healthy fats like avocado, or something - and see if you notice any results.

Also, are you taking your measurements in addition to weighing on the scale? If you're building muscle while losing fat you won't see a change on the scale because you're basically exchanging one for the other. But although a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh exactly the same (obviously) muscle is smaller than fat so you'll see a change in your measurements even though the scale stays the same.
I believe so. I've been told so on here by many people I am.
But I'm going to check again anyway and make sure today.

I'll try adjusting my diet as well.

And It could be muscle like you said because I have noticed changes in my body even though I don't measure. And I've been walking a lot and feel muscles in a lot of places. And I do strength training.

Thank you so much.
df180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #7  

I'm about 10lbs under my original weight, and have been stuck here for 10 weeks (with no changes in girth measurements either). You're not alone.

I've just been focusing on improving the QUALITY of the food I eat (ie. not restricting how much, just eating more protein and almost entirely whole foods) and to keep gently increasing the weights I'm using. I am trusting that eventually my size will change, and in the meantime I am working to live a HEALTHIER lifestyle. (see me using all these positive words? I don't manage it every day, but I'm trying )

It's possible that you are eating enough calories to maintain with your current weight and activity level (which would explain how you lose weight until you hit that 'balance' point). It might be worth just taking a look at your actual portion sizes and what you eat for a few days - plug it into a calorie calculator and see where you are on an average day. Then maybe shave off 300kcal a day, and see if it helps? (personally, I don't like taking my calories under 80-85% of maintenance, so a 500kcal deficit is too much for me)

And if you're not doing any resistance training, that might be a fun option to look at as well, for something new to add to your routine to help gently contribute to fat loss/body recomposition. Or intervals, if you're feeling especially frisky. You're doing so well, just hold on and keep gently tweaking things!

Last edited by Defining; 05-20-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 327/239.6/199

Height: 5'5"

I've been stuck for nearly a year now. Dr. says everything is good, I'm doing everything right, but can't lose a pound for anything. I'm peri menopausal and every month is roller coaster - I go up 4-5 pounds around TOM. Lose a couple pounds after TOM. Gain a few pounds around ovulation. Lose a couple pounds after. I've upped my exercise, lowered calories, lowered carbs even further than I had been doing. I've added yoga to my day to help with strengthening and relaxing. I've tried raising calories a bit in case they were too low. I am still losing inches a bit/toning things up and Dr. is happy with all that I have done but it is so frustrating and I'm really not sure how I've kept doing what I'm doing with no visible results.
Unicorn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I've been stuck for almost six years. I go back and forth between feeling like I should just accept that my body wants to be here and that I'm just lazy and am not trying hard enough.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #10  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Me, me, me! I'm definitely stuck here and I'd like to get back to losing, not just maintaining. But my diet is too lax -- I'm loosely tracking but not counting calories at the moment - and that's fine for maintaining, but not for losing; and my movement too little at the moment -- not feeling well enough for much more -- so this is what I get, for now.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Being 50 lbs overweight (that is, after losing 30 of the total 80), I was devastated when I was recently stuck at the weight of 200.5 for 3 full weeks! I was doing ellipticals each day vigorously for 45 min as well as attending several classes at the gym during this period along with a good, clean diet. I couldn't understand the reason why my weight isn't going down as usual, that is, like the way I lost the 30 lbs. Then recently for the past 10 days I switched over to my usual treadmill walking 3 miles a day and started doing strength training exercises for about 20 min each afternoon along with maintaining my diet. This has kick-started the weight loss process and I am losing again! These are the strength training exercises I started doing (but don't do it for that long). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPgKYsknKw4
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:11 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 160/155/120

Height: 5'2"

that Munchy! i keep thinking i should make peace with this weight and then thinking i'm not trying hard enough.

and i know for a fact it is that i've not reduced my calories sufficiently. I just need to be better about it. I eat healthy - i just eat too much for weight loss
maddierep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:10 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Something I just did is review some more structured diets online...you know when they give you a sample breakfast, lunch, dinner and focused on the ones similar to what I like to eat. I think I was omitting some things on my food diary and actually eating more than I thought. It was sobering to see a 1700 calorie meal plan for the day and realize I was adding a few more items than what was on their example. For the past two days I've really been focused on what I'm eating...not obsessed just more aware. Another thing I realized...I follow a more low carb diet and recently I've been excited about all these low carb diets on FB. All kinds of Low sugar/low carb ideas being posted and I've been experimenting with them...maybe a bit too much? It's great to see some new recipes out there but I think I was going overboard and again packing in a higher calorie food item and not realizing how much it was taking me over.

I am also closer to 40 than I am to 30 years old and I keep hearing about all this talk of not losing as quickly. I'm not going to allow myself to be taken in or drug down by this notion! LOL Maybe it is true but I'm keeping up with my walking and strength training and doing my best to debunk this whole aging weight loss thing!!!!

I'm hoping these things help me along in losing weight. I've already noticed just over the past few days I'm satisfied on my revamped eating, I'm adding some more fiber to my diet so that terrible bloated sluggishness is diminishing, and I hoped on the scale at work (a coworker swears it's accurate with her weight watcher's scale) and I already lost 5lbs...OMG we all know this would be water weight in such a short period of time but it's a start in the right direction!

Good luck to everyone! Please hang in there. Also please post any ideas because I think this is a great thing to address. Thanks to the OP for bringing this up!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote