General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Do you weigh yourself?

This has probably been discussed many times on here, but I was wondering how often you weigh yourself if at all?
Lately when I weigh myself and I don't see any change I get very discouraged. Some would say don't weigh yourself and focus on the NSV and others use it as more motivation to push harder. I tend not to weigh that often because I don't want to become obsessive, but then I weigh myself a long time later and still do not see a change. Must be doing something wrong eating wise maybe.
I'm not sure the exact number of my weight but I think I want to weigh-in every wed from now on.
Thoughts?
abetterme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #2  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Give weekly weighing a try and see how it works for you.

For every approach to weighing (or not weighing) you can think of, there is someone on this board who swears by it and is sure she could not succeed any other way.

The only way to know what approach or approaches will work for you is to try one for a while and see how it feels.

Me, I am a daily weigher. I find it interesting to observe the daily fluctuations. My daily fluctuations can be as much as 4 pounds - it takes me about a whole month to lose that much fat! Daily weighing is helpful for me to remember that my weight on any one day doesn't matter all that much compared to the long-term trends. If I weighed less frequently than that, it would make each weigh-in more important, which (for me) could mean more stress and more disappointment.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #3  

That's a good way to look at it. I think I'll do weekly for now and if I get too disappointed later on when I know I was doing my best then I might look at the fluctuations daily.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

I also weigh daily, but mostly because I put my daily weight into a graph, over time I can see a pattern on how I lose (if I'm actively dieting/trying to eat better) I get sad when it goes up while I'm on plan, but I just remember a whoosh is on its way! Also, I seem to plateau a bit every 10 lbs so I know not to freak out or give up.
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #5  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

I weigh in every night last thing before I go to bed; gives me prelude what the morning will bring. Then I will weigh myself again first thing in the morning.

I know it is a lot, but it works for me. Sometimes I feel like snacking right before bed time; I jump on that scale and that usually curbs my snack monster

I keep a spreadsheet of my daily weigh-ins. I only count Friday's weigh in though.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:47 AM   #6  
Less of a Better Me

I weigh myself every morning. There is research that weighing daily is associated with greater weight loss. That said, it may not work for everyone. If weighing drives you nuts with the normal, daily fluctuations then it can be a problem. For me, I see those normal fluctuations as they occur so I expect them and they don't drive me nuts.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:09 AM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I think you could understand the meaning of the scale you would not have such a problem with it.

WEight goes up and down despite if you are eating well depending on things like water retention due to salt intake, menstruation, a hard workout that causes muscle inflammation, and probably some other factors.

There's no point weighing yourself during the day. The most objective time to weigh yourself is first thing in the morning after a pee, in the buddy and before eating or drinking anything if you can. This will be your lightest point for the day because overnight during your long sleep, you have had a chance to dehydrate as much as you are likely to do.

Another reason for the weight going up and not down is if you don't poo every day, it will go up mostly likely but not by that much. Foods that get you going to the loo are lentils and beans, most of all, fruit and vegies also helps and nuts but these last are high calorie so don't depend on them. Less oil and fats in the diet seem to reduce pooing frequency.

So what i'm saying is get used to your weight on the scales fluctuating. Just carry on and don't try to beat it. So long as you are sticking to your plan and the weight is going down overall then you are doing fine.

I think you need to keep close tabs on the scales. This morning for the first time i registered "boring!" and didn't want to do it because its a few extra moves. I have to get my clothes off and pick up the scale and move it and bang it about a bit to get it come to the right setting before i can get on it. But i know should keep doing it. Even if i am not too happy with the result.

Its only by keeping a close eye on the scale do we have any real accountability to ourselves. The rest is just guesswork until we see we can fit into clothes we could before.

If you do what i do which is get on every day. Try to think about the result in terms of what might be causing the up or down that day. but don't rush to change what you are eating. Consider it in terms of your food diary which you should keep. If after some time, say a week and its only been going upwards, then you may need to take a close look at your food diary and see if you are eating too much. If you calories are down around 1200 or 1300 then you are definiltey not eating too much. But have you been recording your food accurately. You need to try to see through your subconscious attempts at self-sabotage and self deception.

You shouldn't be disappointed too much if you can try to understand the reason why its the scale is going the wrong way.

My scale is accurate to 200grams but it makes huge jumps daily. LIke often it jumps 1 kilo so i think its probably not that accurate or the accuracy varies depending where i'm standing on the scale and if its not on the level.

For all that, i'm still weighing daily, sticking to my plan, and seeing my clothes become looser and can visibly notice the weight falling off my body.

So to get over this hurdle you've got commit to at least one month of weighing daily in the way i've said. Do not bother to weigh yourself at other times of the day. Its utterly pointless. If you notice you feel disappointed, let it go, telling yourself, there are other factors in play that the scale may not show.

When i get on the scale, i always try to understand what it might be about, knowing that its just a guess - oh it was the japanese i ate last night, or it was the all that mowing, or i'm menstruating, or my tom is over. I find that helps to be able to give myself an explanation. If over a period of time there is no downward movement - say two weeks, then i would be thinking about adjusting my diet and for that i would refer to my food diary for answers.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #8  

Thanks for your response, Pattience, very helpful and informative.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: see ticker (in kg)

Height: 6' 3"

Like other people have said i follow weighing in the morning after i visit the bathroom, when i was at my heigher weights the daily fluctuations did my head in. Now i just log it everyday and look at the trend rather then todays number and celebrate every time i see a new low number.
ShrinkingStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #10  
maintaining since 9/2013

I weigh everyday for a reality check. Not weighing is a red flag that I'm planning to go off track with eating. Above a certain number, I modify eating slightly so that I never have to do any major restriction to stay within my range.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #11  

I quit weighing myself 15 years ago when I read the Intuitive Eating book it simply was not helpful for me. I can tell immediately by the fit of my clothes if I am tending up or down and it serves the purpose. If I am eating well, feel energetic and my clothes generally fit the scale doesn't matter for me.

Last edited by CindySunshine; 03-08-2014 at 08:41 AM.
CindySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #12  

I also stopped weighing myself and, like CindySunshine, I use my clothes and how I feel as a guide. For me, the scale serves no useful purpose. It only causes me angst.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
I also stopped weighing myself and, like CindySunshine, I use my clothes and how I feel as a guide. For me, the scale serves no useful purpose. It only causes me angst.
I agree. In fact, motivational people will tell you it's counterproductive to focus on weight stats. It gets you into analysis paralysis.

Most people trying to lose weight are doing it to look better and to get healthier. My focus is always on the key health indicators that drive good health, like BP, pulse rate, and sugar levels. They trump actual weight in pounds.
simalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Shrinking student said it precisely. This is what i do.

I love the way you said that. Why can't i be so precise.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #15  
Because I am.

S/C/G: 292/200/165

Height: 5' 7"

I weigh once each week--always on Sunday just after waking up, before eating.
worththeeffort2 is offline   Reply With Quote