Fiber Counting?

You're on Page 3 of 20
Go to
  • Trish....Great job!! Keep it up!!

Eleka...Enjoy your walking at the mall.

Have a High Fiber day!! We are doing awesome!!! Later all.
  • Trisha- thank you for the kind words- I am happy that I was able to help! Welcome aboard to our little corner of the world- it's a wonderful place to be. It looks like you are off to a great start- great job!

So sorry I didn't get to post yesterday ladies, my computer is acting funky. Some days it works good, others not so. One of my friends is suppose to come over in a week or two to fix it- I can't wait!

Anyhow, here is yesterday's menu:

Breakfast- 1 100 calorie pack of smoked almonds- 2 grams
    1 snack sized Snickers- .5

total for breakfast 2.5

Lunch- Tuna fish on high fiber bread- 6
    iceburg lettuce- .5
    okra chips- 6
    Kashi Black Bean BBQ Chips- 8

total for lunch: 20.5

snack-
    6 pieces of Chinese Chicken leftover from day before- 0

dinner-
    high fiber pasta salad made with a boiled egg, garden sweet pickles, Hellman's light mayonaise, black pepper- 10 grams
    1 hot dog roll- 1
    1 beef hot dog with lots of German hot mustard
    1 snack sized Snickers bar- .5

total for dinner- 11.5

total for the day- 34.5

Yesterday was like a grazing day for me- I ate a little here or there, until after I did my 1 hour on the recumbent bike. I guess that's why I was a bit low yesterday- it was a real lazy day, too, for me. It was snowing, I was still tired from the hard workout I did the day before, even took a 3 hour nap.

I did lose that pound that I gained the day before yesterday as well as another 4 ounces. Today, my weight was the same as yesterday- 296.6.

Have a Happy High Fiber Day, everyone!
  • Thanks for the warm welcome.

I weigh daily just to keep up with what is going on. My weight was up .8 but not a surprise since I'm added in the carby fibers. The GREAT news is that my fasting blood glucose was 118 mg. The lowest it has been in ages and it is almost normal. Whoo-hoo I even ate a little a regular serving of air popped popcorn with 3 T of whipped butter. That isn't really much butter but it does give it a hint of buttery flavor. I am so thrilled with this. I've been trying for about 6 yrs to get my fbg under 140 mg. I guess what the Diabetic book said about fiber is true.

Thanks Liliann for starting this thread. Just what I needed.

Steelslady Where do you find the kashi black bean chips and okra chips. I looked around the chips and the gluten free section at Walmart and didn't see them. Do they have a special place in the store or do I have to go to a special whole food type store... maybe a health food store. We don't have a health food store per se, but do have one store that does carry some healthier foods than others. So I may have to go there.

Got to run. Hubby has to go for a blood test because he takes Warfarin. I'll come back later and post my food and fiber count.
  • SteelsLady...Good that your scale is moving down for ya!! Yahoo! Keep up the great work!!

Trish...Glad that your fbg went down...That is best news rather than the scale news! Keep it going!!

I am eating the same things daily...My motto is carbs/protein/fiber...that keeps me going. I had read from Dr.Oz book is to eat the same foods ..Which I don't mind and also eating high fiber, on a low budget.. I am pleased and also my tummy agrees . I will post my total fiber count tonight...

Keep up the good work all...We are going to succeed!!!
  • It dawned on me that I been tracking fiber for a week...So, I weighed in and lost that 14 Lbs for this week!! Yahoooo!!! :scale: I won't weigh in till next week..I am making Thursdays my time to peak!! This motivated me even more!! Fiber Rules!!

Thank you all for joining with me....WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

My Fiber so far is 50...Did not have dinner yet...Later Fiber buddies!!!
  • Total Fiber...65
  • Only got 25 grams fiber today, but better than 15 and only day 2. We ate out today at Pizza Hut and got only 4 grams of fiber on their pizzas.

Editing this to say I decided to make PB sandwich on double fiber bread so I ended the day with 37 grams of fiber.
  • Quote: Only got 25 grams fiber today, but better than 15 and only day 2. We ate out today at Pizza Hut and got only 4 grams of fiber on their pizzas.

Editing this to say I decided to make PB sandwich on double fiber bread so I ended the day with 37 grams of fiber.
    Way to go, Trisha! You are definitely having a great day- that must have been so awesome, having your sugar levels come out so nice! I love that you still got in all your fiber today, even though you enjoyed a nice dinner out. That's why I love this way of life- nothing is ever off limits, and to me, the food tastes much much better than low carb or other restrictive diets. You'll have to let us know if the awesome sugar levels continue- I am so happy for you!

I found the Kashi products near the dairy section in our Super Center in Concord, NH. They had their own display case- they must be new, as I just found them last week. The Fried Okra, called Nature's Harvest Okra with Sea Salt I found near the produce section on a display with green beans that are fried and other dried fruits and such.

I just saw online that there is a new product called Beanitos that I want to try, too- they have Nacho Cheese white bean chips (5 grams per serving) as well as Better Cheddar pinto bean. They have other flavors, too- check them out here: http://www.beanitos.com . Supposedly, my Hannaford near me was suppose to have them, but they told me they didn't, but the other bigger stores did. Looks like I will have to wait until next week when I go to Concord to find them and try them out. For once, I wish this Hannaford near us would have what we need. My youngest daughter has a gluten allergy, and half of the stuff that she loves and enjoys they don't have at this store, but at their other stores. It's a pain in the butt, having to drive a half hour just to check out one product or to buy all the stuff you need in bulk because you don't know when you'll get to that store again. I just hope that they taste good. I told hubby I want to buy a couple of flavors, open them up in the car and taste them. If they taste great, I'll go back and get more, but I don't want to have to worry about them tasting good and not getting enough for the week (he's doing the high fiber diet with me), but at the same time, I hate to buy anything in bulk without trying it first, in case they taste like sawdust. For instance, I have to make him take just one portion of the fried okra chips- he loves them so much, he'd eat the whole package! I bought three packages on Friday, and he's already eaten his way through two already, lol!

Keep up the awesome work, Trisha- you are doing great!
  • Quote: It dawned on me that I been tracking fiber for a week...So, I weighed in and lost that 14 Lbs for this week!! Yahoooo!!! :scale: I won't weigh in till next week..I am making Thursdays my time to peak!! This motivated me even more!! Fiber Rules!!

Thank you all for joining with me....WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

My Fiber so far is 50...Did not have dinner yet...Later Fiber buddies!!!
    Way to go, Liliann!!!!! That is a phenomenal loss! You have to be so proud of yourself! Keep going, girl friend, you are doing awesome!
  • My menu for day is very little. I just wasn't that hungry today.

Breakfast-

2 servings of Kashi Southwest BBQ Black Bean Crisps- 8 grams

total for breakfast- 8 grams

Lunch/Dinner-

turkey, cucumber, American cheese and light mayonaise on 2 pieces of Arnold's Double fiber bread- 12 grams

2 cups of homemade Red Lentil Soup- 18 grams

total for lunch/dinner- 30 grams

lots of water

total for the day- 38 grams

Have a Happy High Fiber Friday, ladies!
  • Good morning, Fiber Counters! I woke up this morning weighing 294.2, losing another 2.4 pounds. Started my Fiber Friday on a great note.

I hope you are all having a great day. Still undecided as to what I want for breakfast/lunch today. I'll figure something out soon!
  • Trish.....Great Fiber count!! Awesome!! Keep it up!!

SteelsLady...Bravo on your scale move and fiber count!! Great job and keep it going!!

I am doing good...Fiber 18 for this morning!! Soon will make myself lunch.. I will check in tonight for my total count for today..

Everyone is doing great and keep up fiber buddies!! Its worth it!!
  • Lilliann Sorry I missed congratulating you on your 14 lb loss. You are doing great.

Steelslady Thanks for the Beanitos site. I looked it up and it is sold several places here even my Walmart. I must have just missed them or they were out of them. I looked up the Kashi site and they don't sell the crisps here. I forgot to look up the okra chips. I will look that up too. The store we had that probably had it has sold out to Publix and I'm sure they will sell them but they aren't supposed to open until 2015. I will be going to Food Lion when I leave the beauty shop tomorrow to see if I can get them there. I hope they will have the okra chips too. DH and I drink okra water to help lower our fbs. Not sure it really works as the article I read said it can take up to 3 months. But okra is good for that as well.

I agree that eating fiber sure is better than eating low carb. The only thing I'm really having a problem getting use to is that I don't really have to worry about calories too much as I am eating a little more than usual, but then maybe that will balance out as I get use to eating this way.

My Calorie King book isn't fiber count; it is fat count. So I am using the fiber count on the labels and then using the counts for other things on MFP.

I've got my plan already loaded on MFP and the fiber count for today will be 35.

I'm trying to keep may fiber in 30 to 35 grams range for maybe a week or two and then gradually raise it 5 grams at a time for a few weeks at a time until I reach around 50 grams. This is the way my diabetic book says to do it that way. It recommends doing no less than 30 grams a day of fiber and recommends building up to 50 grams a day. However, I found it interesting too that it says that if you don't want to add so many carbs that you can add more protein. So I'll be working on making that decision and working it out as I progress. I'm going to re-read the book and will thoroughly enjoy doing it.

The book also recommend 3 meals and 3 snacks. I don't really get hungry for 3 snacks. I do more of a 3 meals and 1 snack. I like snacking at night so I make a snack of air popped popcorn at night and it is soooo nice to be able snack on something I really love and it is legal. You couldn't ask for anything better.
  • Trish....You are doing such wonderful job on adding fiber!! Awesome!! Keep it up!

I had a busy day, 1 hour walking plus house chores...Hardly did not eat much for today..somedays is low ,somedays is high. I am loving fiber counting. It keeps me full till 3 hours or so. and its helping me..To bad I had not done this sooner and always tackled with calories...but not anymore...Fiber foods is my friend!!!

Total Fiber...48

I will be busy this weekend at the home front...but will try to add saturday count on Sunday night..or Monday..for the weekend total fiber.

Keep it going folks!! We are doing such remarkable progress... I am proud of you all... Have a nice weekend...later...
  • Had a evening snack..Total fiber 56