General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #16  
300+ Chick

SteelsLady....You are doing great!! I like the idea of using the Polaner jam in greek yogurt..I will try that for my evening snack. Thanks for the tip!

Eleka...Great job so far...Keep it up!!

For dinner looks like am having another tuna w onions sandwhich w wheat bagel soon. Will post later on of my total count..

Enjoy your evening...
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #17  
300+ Chick

Dinner
1 wheat bagel...7
3 Gortons battered fish fillet...0

Total Fiber Count...50
Old 03-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #18  
300+ Chick

I had gained those 14 Lbs plus 5 extra...It sounds like no more daily weigh ins for me and just become calm on this for a week by week basis..I have a new start weight and my day to peak is on Tuesday.

For my morning meal..
2 wheat bagels..14
4 tbsp peanut butter...4
4 tbsp Polanar starwberry jam w fiber..12
2 c. hot coffee w sugar and milk..

Snack
1 c, coffee w sugar and milk..0

Total Fiber so far...30..Later,
Old 03-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #19  

Lillianne, I'm sorry that you gained weight and I'm sure it's only temporary. I read a post on another diet site about how the scale lies. I only wish I remember what it said. You're doing good.

Steelslady, What a good idea about putting jam in plain yogurt. I never would've thought of doing that. I'll buy some yogurt & jam this week when I go grocery shopping. I have put it in cottage cheese and it was good.

Lillianne & Steelslady, do either of you have a book that tells you the grams of fiber for food? Thanks!

Breakfast:
2 scrambled eggs....0
2 strips of bacon.....0
cheese.................. 0
Joseph's flax wrap...6g.

Lunch:
Ciabatta roll..................2g
ham.............................0
2 slices Swiss cheese......0

Supper will be:
hamburger........0
beans...............5g

I am kind of low today.
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #20  
300+ Chick

Aleka....I have a Calorie King book that has a fiber section ...also I read labels on breads/bagels, cereals,pastas,sauces.You doing good so far..Keep it up.

Lunch
1 wheat bagel...7
tuna w mayo and onions..1

Snack
1 yoplait vanilla greek yogurt w 1 tbsp strawberry jam w fiber..3

I ran out of wheat bagels, which tomorrow morning will stock up on wheat bagels,and Fiber one cereal, the orginal one which that is more..used to eat that when I was doing weight watchers points. Fiber one cereal have 14 g fiber for a 1/2 c. serving.

Dinner..will have
2 cups wheat spagetti....10
1 cup. pasta sauce...4
Grated cheese...0

I will add my total later on tonight...

I will ditch my daily weigh ins for weekly..Been doing good and what counts is my hunger scale..which counts the most...I will not give up!! Thanks for the listening ear..
Old 03-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #21  
300+ Chick

Dinner was planned..but had 3 cups of wheat spagetti.

Total Fiber ... 60
Old 03-04-2014, 11:18 PM   #22  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliann View Post
Aleka....I have a Calorie King book that has a fiber section ...also I read labels on breads/bagels, cereals,pastas,sauces.You doing good so far..Keep it up.

Lunch
1 wheat bagel...7
tuna w mayo and onions..1

Snack
1 yoplait vanilla greek yogurt w 1 tbsp strawberry jam w fiber..3

I ran out of wheat bagels, which tomorrow morning will stock up on wheat bagels,and Fiber one cereal, the orginal one which that is more..used to eat that when I was doing weight watchers points. Fiber one cereal have 14 g fiber for a 1/2 c. serving.

Dinner..will have
2 cups wheat spagetti....10
1 cup. pasta sauce...4
Grated cheese...0

I will add my total later on tonight...

I will ditch my daily weigh ins for weekly..Been doing good and what counts is my hunger scale..which counts the most...I will not give up!! Thanks for the listening ear..
Awe, Liliann, I so understand your frustration with water gain! It's is just rotten, especially when you are trying so hard to lose weight, and then to see the scale go up like that is just heartbreaking. Luckily, we know it's not our fault, and one of five things could have caused this:

1. If you're due for your monthly or already have it, there you go- instant water gain. Takes a few days for it to go down, may be best not to weight when just before due or during the first three to four days.

2. lower body edema- I have this, and am on a fluid pill. It doesn't cut out all the fluid, though- I have to watch my sodium intake daily. I eat natural diuretic foods like cucumbers, celery, melons, etc. Look up "natural diuretic foods"- there are several websites that will help you find food you like to eat daily, to help whoosh away excess sodium.

Also, every night, before I go to bed or before any nap I take, I put two huge fluffy pillows under my legs for 20-30 minutes while I read. This helps drain the fluid from your lower extremeties.

Also, twice a day, first thing in the morning and sometime in the afternoon, I drink apple cider vinegar with the Mother in it- Bragg's and Heinz have this kind of vinegar- must have the "Mother" in it, it will say it on the bottle, and I mix about 8 ounces of hot water, 1 tablespoon of the apple cider vinegar, and 4 drops of liquid Stevia. This has helped me so much with water weight!

3. Not enough water- on a high fiber diet, you need much more water than a regular diet. I drink at least two cups with every meal, then I fill a four cup tumbler of water and drink it after my meal. Strange thing- I don't pee as much on a high fiber diet, but well, the other way, oh yeah ! Seriously, though- you could have a lot of fiber in your intestines waiting for the water to whisk it away. I also drink a tumbler of water first thing in the morning and before I got to bed.

4. Muscles retaining water from exercise- very common, folks gain anywhere between 1-4 pounds of water and retain it for a day or two until the muscle heals. That's a good thing, though- means you're getting in great shape, so hang in there!

The other day, remember when I said I was shocked I lost four ounces after swimming the other day? Well, I gained a pound this morning, though I suspect it might have to do with the fact that I ate very late last night (I didn't finish my dinner until 1:00 am last night ). Still, it didn't make me happy to wake up to that one pound gain.

Also, tonight I made Chinese Chicken with Broccoli. I decided to try and make it, as my daughter's best friend loves it. I wanted to try the recipe first, then surprise her with it one night when she slept over. Found out, I should have waited until tomorrow night, as she's sleeping over, my daughter tells me tonight, after I already made it, lol! Of course, I will save her some for tomorrow night when she comes over- it was delicious! However, I expect to have a four or five pound water weight gain in the morning- two reasons, one the Chinese Chicken, and two, I worked out again at the pool REALLY hard tonight for over two hours. I am already sore. I just know not to expect a loss tomorrow. Oh, well, it will come off eventually!

5. sleep apnea- I have this, and am on the CPAP and oxygen- thank God for this machine, it has helped me out tremendously with energy and well being. I was officially diagnosed in September, had an overnight sleep study done early October, got the machine in mid October, and little by little, I've been feeling better and more energetic.

6. thyroid levels- when hypo, they can wreak havoc with your weight. Hard to believe, but I have Grave's Disease (hyperthyroidism)- before I was diagnosed with it seven years ago, I had a ferocious appetite, yet I kept losing weight- first time ever in my life that that ever happened! However, my thyroid is now in hypo mode, so they've been slowly lowering my medicine, and the nurse told me once I am off of it, my weight will start to go down more because the medicine is keeping me hypo, which causes weight gain. My youngest daughter had Hashimoto's and cancer, they took hers out, poor baby is still hypo, they're trying to raise her levels so she is hyper for the rest of her life, or she will get cancer again. My point in telling you this, is to have your levels checked. Many times, a borderline diagnosis goes untreated, and by the time you get it checked a few months later, it's gotten worse. Can't hurt to rule it out, right?

I hope you find a nice loss when you weigh in next. Please don't get discouraged- it WILL come off eventually. Keep doing what you're doing, you are doing great. You deserve to be healthy and happy- please remember that and keep going, my friend! I am here with you all the way- like I said in my first post in this thread, this is OUR year to do it, Liliann- we've both been patient and have tried hard in the past, but we finally found something that works for us both, and we WILL succeed this time!

Last edited by Steelslady; 03-04-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #23  
Going down, my way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleka View Post
Lillianne, I'm sorry that you gained weight and I'm sure it's only temporary. I read a post on another diet site about how the scale lies. I only wish I remember what it said. You're doing good.

Steelslady, What a good idea about putting jam in plain yogurt. I never would've thought of doing that. I'll buy some yogurt & jam this week when I go grocery shopping. I have put it in cottage cheese and it was good.

Lillianne & Steelslady, do either of you have a book that tells you the grams of fiber for food? Thanks!

Breakfast:
2 scrambled eggs....0
2 strips of bacon.....0
cheese.................. 0
Joseph's flax wrap...6g.

Lunch:
Ciabatta roll..................2g
ham.............................0
2 slices Swiss cheese......0

Supper will be:
hamburger........0
beans...............5g

I am kind of low today.
Glad I could be of help! I found it on someone else's menu, and decided to try it- wow, is it ever delicious! Forget adding fruit in the future- I'm just adding the preserves.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:46 PM   #24  
Going down, my way!

Finally on to my menu today.

Breakfast/lunch-

grilled cheese and tomato with mayo on high fiber bread- 7 grams
popcorn- 2 grams
lots of water

total for B/L- 7 grams

Dinner-

Chinese Chicken and Broccoli- 4 grams
High Fiber White Spaghetti- 10 grams
1 small can of LeSeur's baby peas, rinsed of excess sodium- 6 grams
dessert- one cup plain Greek yogurt with 4 tbsp of Polaner Strawberry Preserves- 12 grams
lotsa lotsa water!

Dinner total- 32 grams

total grams today- 39 not high enough..........didn't have much time to eat- been crazy busy the last few days!

Exercise- intense and fun swimming for two hours straight, nice time in the hot tub afterwards.

Have a great night, fiber counters! Talk to you in the morning!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:04 AM   #25  
Going down, my way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleka View Post
I knew there was something I forgot to answer earlier, and couldn't go to bed until I figured out what it was. So sorry, I meant to address this question in my post to you above- brain fart, as they say!

I don't have any books now, but I used to years ago when I first did this- we're talking back in the 80's. However, there are plenty of websites out there with wonderful information on high fiber foods- just type in "high fiber foods" in your search bar, and tons of sites will come up. They are wonderful tools for me- I use them along with natural diuretic sites and they are just invaluable, as well as free.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I am so thrilled to find y'all. I've done high fiber years ago, but I didn't do much of a variety and got bored with it. Right now I use MFP to count calories, carbs and fats. I am in the process of getting my blood sugar under control. I've done it before with FF diet and I have one diabetic book that says that you can eat whatever you want as long as you eat fiber with it. I have another book called "Reverse Diabetes", but it is FF low protein/hi fiber carbs. Since I am more of a low carb/higher not real high protein eater, I wasn't willing to do it. I eat a lot of vegetable fiber but I had become irregular so I checked the fiber MFP and was surprised to find that I am only eating about 15 to 16 g of fiber a day. I realize that is way too low and I need more fiber.

Strange way I found you. I usually come to this part of 3fc to read Intuitive Eating thread because that is really my preferred way of eating rather than counting calories, carbs and fats. Low and behold I see your new thread and I began to read. Y'all are doing really well.

Steelslady Not only are you an inspiration but you have loads of info that I really needed to know. I checked out the diuretic foods. I have gained a lot of knowledge just reading your posts. I already eat loads of veggies and exercise because it helps with the blood glucose. I just need to add the fiber. I have gained some great ideas. BTW, I would love to have your recipe for the high fiber cookies. DH and I eat 2 cookie a day that we get from Sam's. I think if I had a good recipe that I could make them healthier.

I think my new favorite breakfast is the WG English muffin. I ate it this morning with one egg, sl of American cheese, Jimmie Dean 70% reduced fat turkey sausage pattie and I put Polaner with fiber Cherry flavored on it just to add fiber. Oh, I don't like the muffin soggy either so I put the cheese on one side and drizzled a small amount of olive oil on the other side and toasted it. Hummm-ummm good. I also use Stevia.

I am glad y'all started this thread and hope to become a part of it. Thanks for the info.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #27  

Trish, welcome. I'm new here too and still finding my way around eating high fiber food.

Lillianne, thank you for telling me which book you have that lists fiber content, and Steelslady, thank you for explaining what to search for. They both were of great help.

I haven't been tracking my fiber today because DH & I travelled out of state today and had lunch out. Back on track tomorrow along with walking in the mall.

Hope everyone has a great evening. I'll be going to bed early because I only had about 3 hrs. sleep last night.....and I'm tired.
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #28  
300+ Chick

SteelsLady....You are doing great!! Keep it going!!

Trish...Welcome, glad that you found us and you are doing great as well...Keep it up!!

Had a busy day, plenty,plenty of walking of food shopping...I walked about 2 hours today...whew! I am not complaining!!!

Here is my menu for today and will add more and my count later on this evening.

Breakfast
2 slices white bread...2
2 tbsp peanut butter..2
2 tbsp strawberry jam w fiber...6

Snack
2 donuts...0

Lunch
2 slices high fiber bread...10
2 tbsp peanut butter..2
1 tbsp strawberry jam w fiber...3
1 tbsp apricot jam w fiber...3

Snack
2 slices fiber bread...10
2 tbsp peanut butter..2
2 tbsp apricot jam w fiber...6

Not sure what I will have for dinner, maybe fried eggs w wheat bread..add later on..

Total Fiber so far..46
Old 03-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #29  
300+ Chick

Dinner
2 grilled cheese sandwhiches on fiber breads..20
butter/cheese...0
1 lowfat dannon yogurt....0

Been drinking coffee all day long, hot/cold...0

Total Fiber...66

We can do this folks!! Have a nice and high fiber Thursday!! Fiber Rules!!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Ended up with 37 g 0f fiber today according to MFP.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote