3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > General Diet Plans and Questions

General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Fiber Counting?

Old 03-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #196
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Its really nice to get that feedback Trish.

The irony is that today my tummy is uncomfortable. I think its the red wine i drank last night because it started feeling bad towards the end of my glass last night. I think its because i've been drinking red wine more than usual lately and on an empty stomach. Perhaps i should either go back to white and start drinking my wine with food. And reduce a bit from one glass to half a glass perhaps. It would be good to take my calories out from there.

I'd be reluctant to put other oils in the peanut butter myself for fear of ruining the flavour. I think peanut oil is nothing to be afraid of. Its a good oil. Its only when oils are solid that they are bad (transfats). And of course if you each too much of them.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #197

It's been awhile since I've posted. Last week I ate a lot of bread, more than I usually eat, along with the high fiber jam, plus other high fiber foods and by Sat. I had an issue with my tummy. Once it passed I decided to cut back on bread and I feel better. For the past week I've been thinking about whether or not to continue with high fiber. I've decided to continue and get my fiber from legumes & veggies.

Trish, you mentioned the Full Plate Diet book. I have that book and will dig it out to look at the recipes. They also have a facebook page...or they used to anyway...and they have recipes there too. You are doing well.

Pattience, peanut oil is a good oil to use and also coconut oil. I've read that vegetable oil has more Omega 6 that can cause inflammation, at least the vegetable oil here does, or so I've read. Personally, I don't use vegetable oil or corn oil.

Lillianne, I'm sorry you and your family were sick. I hope all of you are feeling better now. I'm happy for you that you've found a plan that suits you. Good luck.

Steelslady, No, we don't go to the Y. I wanted to check it out to see if they had water aerobics or Tai Chi. But, DH wanted to walk the mall instead. Glad you found it...even if it was by accident. As a matter of fact that's how we found it. Thank you for letting me know about the Co-op. I plan on going soon.

Sluggo

Last edited by aleka : 03-28-2014 at 08:30 AM.
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #198

S/C/G: 238/224/135

Height: 5'2'

Aleka Interesting that you mention the high fiber bread is hurting your stomach because I am having the same issue with high fiber. I've been thinking about cutting back some on the fiber and try getting more of it from fruits and veggies with some legumes. However, the Flat Belly Diet book says that if you up the fiber too fast that it does cause stomach problems. I got the fiber up over or around 40 g yesterday and I had indigestion during the night and today we went out to eat and I was a little nauseous and was afraid to even eat. I did eat, but have been sick at my tummy ever since. I just may have to go back to my low carb eating. At least my stomach was okay then.

I think I'm going to cut back on the fiber for a few days and see how my stomach does. I'll decide by Monday what I am going to do.

Y'all have a nice weekend.

Trish

If you eat when you are not hungry, you just overate!!!

pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #199
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 309.4/286/208 1/20/14

Height: 5' 9"

So sorry to hear ladies that you are having stomach issues. I know it took me about two months to get to where I am eating in high fiber- 60-70 grams a day. Every week, I increased it by 3-4 grams per week, and making sure I drank lots of water to help clean it out without problems. If you increase it too fast, stomach discomfort is very common.

I would just eat fruits, veggies, legumes, juices from the NutriBullet, and some Polaner preserves in yogurt for now, and then try one 1/2 of an English muffin/ 1/2 of a high fiber bar, or one piece of toast the next week. Slowly building up should prevent issues with your stomach, so long as again, you're drinking plenty of water to help flush it out. Also, could you ladies be having a problem with wheat products in general? The pastas and breads are mostly wheat, and some folks can't tolerate too much of it. My youngest daughter is gluten free- let me tell you, it's really fun cooking and pasta dishes/salads in my house, between her gluten free pasta, my high fiber pasta, and the rest of the family's regular pasta. Perhaps it is the wheat that is causing you ladies problems.

Whatever you ladies decide to do, I wish you all the best. I'll miss everyone in this thread, but I can understand if you need to switch diets around because this one makes you uncomfortable. Best of luck with your weight loss!

The Wendie Plan in Calories:
http://hermitislandlover.blogspot.com/

One for each ten pounds lost-

Last edited by Steelslady : 03-28-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #200
banned

I do recommend everyone reads the fibre article on nutrition wonderland website. Its very information.

Yes 40grams of fibre is more than needed and you are right you should increase somewhat gradually.

My issue might be due to fibre but i think its mainly due to my slow bowel which i can't do much about. But i've been to the loo this morning. Actually TMI coming up. I have just realised that leading up to TOM slows everything down even more. But other people might be so affected. Again its my medication that causes that slowness.

The soluble fibre holds the water so it doesn't need so much extra water, same with vegetables. Its mainly the fibre in bread that needs more water.

Anyway the good thing about yesterday for me was because i wasn't feeling hungry with my tummy pain, i ate a lot less and my weight is down today, though i had a headache during the night and might have been a bit dehydrated too. So this morning i had a little salt. I'm feeling good now.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #201

I'm not giving up on the fiber. I know the importance of eating it. I am babying my tummy right now so my fiber is low today, but calories and sodium is good. 1487 calories, 1451 mg sodium and fiber 12 g. I will try to keep my fiber around 15 g or so and then work at building the fiber back up slowly once my stomach is feeling better. Until then I will focus on keeping my calories and sodium down. My plan will be to gradually up my fiber grams to between 25 & 30 grams. Hoping that I can do that.

I edited to add this that I wrote on diabetic thread. I had forgotten this.

When I was in my late 20, I had colitis. I haven't suffered with it in so many years that I had forgotten about it. Today, I remembered that the doctor I had back then told me that I had to be careful eating a lot of roughage/fiber because I could not eat a lot of it because it caused my colon to go into spasms. I took medicine for it for years. I'm not going to have it again so I will be careful and eat it in moderation.

I looked up indigestion on MedMd and it suggests eating small meals about every 2 hours. I never wanted to do that, but I think I will try doing it. In fact, I think Intuitive Eating principles will help with that as it says to eat about every 2 hours and eat only as much as needed to satisfy without feeling stuffed.

I'll still here sharing what I learn as I do this if that is fine with everyone.

Trish

Last edited by pattygirl63 : 03-29-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:42 PM   #202
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 309.4/286/208 1/20/14

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
I'm not giving up on the fiber. I know the importance of eating it. I am babying my tummy right now so my fiber is low today, but calories and sodium is good. 1487 calories, 1451 mg sodium and fiber 12 g. I will try to keep my fiber around 15 g or so and then work at building the fiber back up slowly once my stomach is feeling better. Until then I will focus on keeping my calories and sodium down. My plan will be to gradually up my fiber grams to between 25 & 30 grams. Hoping that I can do that.

I edited to add this that I wrote on diabetic thread. I had forgotten this.

When I was in my late 20, I had colitis. I haven't suffered with it in so many years that I had forgotten about it. Today, I remembered that the doctor I had back then told me that I had to be careful eating a lot of roughage/fiber because I could not eat a lot of it because it caused my colon to go into spasms. I took medicine for it for years. I'm not going to have it again so I will be careful and eat it in moderation.

I looked up indigestion on MedMd and it suggests eating small meals about every 2 hours. I never wanted to do that, but I think I will try doing it. In fact, I think Intuitive Eating principles will help with that as it says to eat about every 2 hours and eat only as much as needed to satisfy without feeling stuffed.

I'll still here sharing what I learn as I do this if that is fine with everyone.
25-30 grams of fiber is excellent, Trish! That's still high fiber.

Boy, I think we are soul twins in some ways. Both my sister and I had spastic colitis in my 20's and she was in her 30's- we had to go on a broth and jello diet for a few days, eat only canned veggies- no frozen or fresh or any roughage, and I was told to avoid any grains for at least two months- wheat, oats, barley, even rice- all were no-no's until we got back on track. I think ours was stress induced, to be honest- our mother was a very demanding and possessive mother, very hard to please, and we were both very stressed out a lot dealing with her. The doctor told both my sister and I that if we didn't both calm down stress wise and take better care of ourselves, we would end up with colon cancer- that was a scary eye opener! So, I don't blame you for being worried and nervous. If you don't feel comfortable, don't do it. right now, I would cut out high fiber wheat products- just get your fiber from fruits, veggies, legumes, and the Polaner all fruit spreads. Also, stay away from any seeds and nuts for a few days, re try them another time when you are feeling better and see if you can tolerate them. I hope you feel better soon, Trish!

I don't care if you don't stick to high fiber- please do continue to post in this thread- I'd miss you very much! I really love talking to you and all the other gals in here, you all make my day and have helped me stay motivated.

By the way, way to go on your exercise! You are doing fabulous!

The Wendie Plan in Calories:
http://hermitislandlover.blogspot.com/

One for each ten pounds lost-
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:25 PM   #203

Totals today - 1652 Calories, 2829 mg sodium and 20 g fiber

Tomorrow I'm starting Atkins Induction to get things back to normal. I checked the freezer and have quite a bit of fish and chicken to get me through at least a week. Hopefully my tummy will be much better by then and I can then work on building up the fiber/carbs slowly building up to at least the minimum of 25 g of fiber.

SteelsLady I would miss you girls too. So I would love to stay with this great group. Thanks for the invite and encouragement. So I will continue to check in and share and learn from y'all.

Trish

Last edited by pattygirl63 : 03-30-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:15 AM   #204
banned

Patty,

Indigestion is not usually a problem of the bowel. I think its a problem of the stomach and reflux, isn't it? But the advice about eating smaller meals more often is probably good if you are eating very large meals. You wouldn't be eating very large meals on 1600 calories per day.

Your idea about going slowly with the fibre is probably more on the button. My father had an operation recently and his bowel is smaller where he had the operation so he had to keep his fibre intake low at the beginning and now he occasionally gets a problem if he eats certain things, like grape skins which may not digest so easily as other fibre foods.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:23 AM   #205
banned

Its funny since my episode with my tummy i am a bit less hungry. This morning i just had 1/4 cup of peanuts for breakfast. I was hungry by 11.30 though.

I have noticed i'm spending less money on food since i'm on this diet. That's a good thing.

I don't know what i'm having for dinner tonight.

btw did you ladies read my post about a novel about obesity. It might be of some interest. I posted it in general chatter.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #206

I was asked to post what I eat on another thread so I thought I would share it here as well. I am happy that while I'm doing Atkins Induction this week that I ended up with a little more fiber than I thought I would. So I think this will work well to get me back on track.

Pattience Thanks for sharing about your dad. That is helpful. No I don't think my problem is with the bowels. I'm sure it is acid reflux. I'm pretty sure it was caused by a combination of a few things. I was in Overeater's Anonymous for years and we learned 3 meals and that was it no in between eating. It was so stressed to me and when I think back to when I was doing that, I had GERD all the time. So I'm sure it was eating too much food at one time. I've heard that breaking your eating up into smaller meals is so much better. So I will see.

Don't know if I will do a 2 week Atkins Induction or just one. So many benefits eating lower carb, but I honestly believe that this will teach me how to eat better carbs. I bought some quinoa and can't wait to try it. I've heard so many good things about it.

Food Plan for today.
Breakfast - 2 sl bacon, 2 eggs, 1 sl American cheese & 1/2 avocado

Lunch - 6 chicken wings and 1/2 c broccoli

Dinner - 4 oz whiting fillet and 1/2 c asparagus

Snack #1 - 2 sl Hickory smoked turkey 1 sl reduced fat swiss cheese

Snack #2 - egg salad made with mayo and dill relish and mayo

This comes to 1281 calories, 16 g carbs, 2536 mg sodium and 9 g fiber

I won't be doing the 5 miles on my bike while doing AI because Atkins recommends not exercising while on Induction. However, I will decided to do the 3.5 miles 3x a week because I don't want to lose ground and I don't want my hip to start hurting again. Also the sodium is a little high, but according to the new Atkins book when doing low carb especially during Induction, we need the salt to prevent the leg cramps. So for now I'm not going to worry about it because I sure hate waking up in the middle of the night with those leg cramps.

Trish

Last edited by pattygirl63 : 03-31-2014 at 07:42 PM. Reason: made changes to food plan
Old 03-31-2014, 06:17 PM   #207
banned

Hi Patty, Sorry Trish, I forget.

Thanks for sharing all the detail.

Its true that you need to be aware of your salt intake when you are eating whole foods but you don't need to eat MORE salt than is healthy. But for a week or two it probably doesn't matter unless you have high blood pressure or some other health issue.

And its true you need salt in order to keep the fluids up otherwise you would just pee it all out. I've experienced those night cramps but in quite different circumstances and i figured out it was due to dehydration caused by low salt. But quite late in the peace.

I'm not a fan of the low carb approach. Just saying...
Old 03-31-2014, 07:49 PM   #208

Pattience I too learned that if I drink water before I go to bed and being diabetic, I also drink a little during the night so that I don't have leg cramps any more.

I probably will only do the really low low car for a week. That is why I said I would decide later. There are benefits to low carb that I do like. So I will build up and keep them moderately low. I want to use Atkins to learn how many carbs I can handle and still lose weight. My calories are rather low today, but I'm not worried as I still have room to go to get to the 1600 calories as I add carbs/fiber in the weeks to come.

Trish

Old 04-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #209
Intuitive Eater

Hi Ladies!

I just wanted to say that I have been lurking in this thread almost since it started, as I have known for quite some time that I needed to up my fiber intake.

As some of you know, I practice intuitive eating exclusively, but you have provided me some great information about how to add fiber to my diet. I love English muffins but hadn't had any in quite some time, so I found some of the higher fiber ones and have been having one most days. I generally only have a little butter on it but my husband and I were just at the grocery store and I picked up a jar of Polaner All Fruit Blackberry spread. Looking forward to trying that tomorrow on my English muffin!

This is probably TMI, but I have suffered from chronic constipation over the last few years. Just adding some of this extra fiber to my diet has really helped. My goal is not weight loss but rather peace with food. However, I can tell I've lost a little weight, not only from IE but also because I've become more regular.

In my dieting past I have tried low-carb and I think one of the reasons I was so terribly unsuccessful with it was the horrible constipation I experienced. For someone who has problems already, it was untenable for me. But it's nice to hear that upping your fiber can result in weight loss. I see why; it fills you up, resulting in overall less food intake. I eat more vegetables than I do fruit, but I've never eaten as much of either as I should have. I'm a bread freak, so substituting a high-fiber English muffin for other bread products is easy for me to do.

Hope you don't mind if I continue to lurk. I like the information I'm getting here!

- Rob Stevens, The Overfed Head

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Albert Einstein
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #210

SouthernMaven Hello there I remember you from the IE thread. I haven't been there in a while, however, I just may be back over there in the near future.

I had a terrible time with my stomach last night. Fiber is in a lot more foods that I eat than I thought. I researched Indigestion which led me to heartburn and GERD. However, I don't think I really have either. I think 1) I went too fast with the fiber and 2) when I went to Atkins and 6 smaller meals, I made myself eat to get the calories in and I overloaded my tummy. Everything read said to eat fiber to ease digestive problems. Then I saw an interesting article on Prevention.com about how Atkins lowers the risk of heart disease and read a review on Atkins way of eating.

I have both the old and new Atkins books and I am reading The New Atkins for a New You book again. Haven't gotten very far because I am mostly relaxing and taking it easy today giving my tummy time to heal.

Steelslady I thought of you when I read in the new book that Atkins is really eating high protein and higher fiber low carb veggies. I think I remember you saying that you eat high protein/high fiber.

I had such a problem yesterday with just getting my calories about 1000 that I overate and I know that is why I suffered so. It was 4 am before I was eased enough to lie down in bed to sleep. So you can imagine how I was pleased to see in the new book that while they recommend 4 or 5 small meals, they also allow you to eat less often. They have a few rules that sound more like Intuitive Eating because they suggest eating only when you are hungry and to eat as much as it takes to satisfy you and the biggie for is they recommend that you not go more than 5 or 6 hrs without eating something. This is good for me because when I did IE (my favorite way of eating) there were days that I could eat as soon as I got up and maybe eat up to 5 or 6 meals, however, there were a lot of days that I just didn't get hungry and might only eat a couple of meals. It will be nice to be on a plan that allows me to go longer without food when I'm not hungry. I know I've discussed this with my doctor and he agrees that I should not eat if I'm not hungry. Most diets don't allow me this option. So I really believe when my tummy is better that I'm going to really enjoy doing this. I'll still get the fiber I need. One nice thing about working the Atkins plan is that I will learn my low carb fiber limit that my body can handle and I still lose weight.

Fiber is only around 8 to 12 g a day right now, but that is only for a few weeks and then I will begin raising it a little at a time. I'll do it right this time. Oh, my fasting blood sugar was 121 mg this morning. The lowest it has been in about 6 or 7 yrs.

Thanks for being here chickies.

Trish

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.