General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #316  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Welcome deesharee! I never used a volumetric cookbook, but I've been eating this way for so long that it's just natural now. I've also counted calories for over 20 years, so it's kind of a given to make things bigger for fewer calories.

KerriLeah, I always keep bagged coleslaw on hand because it's the best bed for curries, stews, whatever, and can be mixed with just about anything saucy!

I have to roast those brussels sprouts soon. It's hard because we have so many leftovers and I've made a promise to myself that I'll try for 70 days straight in the gym. That means when I get home at 7, the little one has already eaten.

Easter was great. We went to the in-laws for lunch and my fiance made a bbq/curry rub for the turkey. We also had steamed broccoli, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, dressing, and gravy made from the turkey drippings.

I had a tiny sweet potato (the smallest you've ever seen!), some steamed broccoli and about 2oz of white meat with a tsp of gravy. I had to save room for my parents' Easter dinner. We had jumbo shrimp, steamed green beans, grilled teriyaki salmon (mom's specialty and my favorite), and caprese salad.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #317  

Last night I had a great meal: 64g TJ spinach tortellini mixed with 4oz sliced mushrooms, 1/2 a green pepper, and 3/4 cup marinara all topped with 10g of Romano. Yum!
Old 04-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #318  

S/C/G: 177/155/150

Height: 5'8"

Can someone recommend the best book to read about volumetics? I am very interested! My biggest problem is I don't seem to feel full, which leads me to overeat! Also could you recommend a cookbook? Thanks!!
Old Schmoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #319  

Hi, I'm currently reading the original book... You can get it from eBay or Amazon.
deesharee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #320  

I never read the book, just started cooking this way about 7 years ago and never looked back. Then I found out there was a name for it!

I have a part-skim ricotta burning a hole in my fridge, so I plan to make a big pasta bake with mushrooms, spinach, peppers, zucchini and onions and top it with part skim mozz and aged parm.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:03 AM   #321  

My fiance made an awesome volumetric meal yesterday for us. Sauteed soyrizo, mushrooms, and peppers mixed with zucchini noodles. A big bowl was 190 calories, and I have a moderate sized bowl for lunch today for only 95 calories. Not too shabby!
Old 04-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #322  

I cut out all grains and sugar instead of just having teeny amounts and I've lost 5lbs that are incredibly noticeable by everyone - I'm super short. I have 6 weeks until my wedding, and 6-11 lbs to go, if possible.

Apparently I'm looking skinny and my face and stomach really reflect the loss
Old 05-04-2015, 10:45 AM   #323  

Jumping in here, this is my favorite way to eat...but the prep sometimes gets in the way.

I read through the first few pages and then jumped in here.

I found volumetric cooking through WW years and years ago, a friend who was already doing WW taught me about adding TONS of veggies to whatever recipe you are making so you can eat until full instead of feeling deprived. Really works for me.

I then read through the sticky threads Meg started in the maintainer's library about the findings in the book "Thin For Life". As someone who is up 20 lbs from a 60 lb wt loss, I'm pretty concerned with maintenance and lifestyle.

The end of my big weight loss came from cutting out all concentrated sugars and all cheese (at least all in the top 5 ingredients from store-bought and all at home). I'm not wanting to have to do this now, I'm tired of forbidden and restricted eating...But I don't want to regain all my weight or have to buy a bunch of new clothes. I'm at the top of my redline wt and want to lose.

So, I'm joining up and doing research here and hope to maintain and maybe even lose eating LOTS of roughage.

It will be nice to have some camaraderie here!
Georgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #324  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

I just returned from a two-week vacation where I made no attempt at healthy eating, if I saw something and it looked yummy, in my mouth it went. Of course my weight is up as a result.

While gone I did read the book "Wheat Belly" which brought back to mind a time in my life, MANY years ago, where I cut out wheat (and most other starches as well) and got my weight down to the lowest it's been in my adult life. I'm not interested in being that extreme now but I am going to try to cut out the wheat and add back lots of veggies and see how I do.
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #325  

I'm down 9 lbs so far in 3 weeks from cutting out the sugar/grains and all starchy vegetables (beans, corn, carrots, all potatoes) and not doing anything else. I feel FANTASTIC! I want this to be the time that I actually get to 115. I may actually enjoy my summer instead of hiding and being uncomfortable in long sleeves and pants.

Last edited by Munchy; 05-06-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:25 AM   #326  

S/C/G: 291.3/236.1/150

Hi all ... Hoping we can get this group active again .. Just reading the book and made a soup yesterday that will be my lunch for a few days ... I have about 90 lbs to lose ... Had lost 114 doing Atkins and gained back 40 when I let up on it for a winter of stress .. So I'm on the search for something that is a "FOR LIFE" plan that works for me.

Thinking back it seems that this plan is what everyone did when I was a kid .. Which was eons ago because it was before all the diet foods and low fat and low sugar foods that are out there now.

I'm also hoping that by doing this hubs will lose some weight without even realizing he is on a diet lol.

I don't want any foods to be forbidden anymore I want to eat whatever we want maybe a little less because we are full of veggies before we start anything else though ..
rho1640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:31 PM   #327  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Yesterday was my first day wheat free and I did pretty well. I had more calories than I planned to have -- DH offered me a chunk of cheddar cheese mid-afternoon and I went ahead and had it -- but I didn't use that as an excuse to beat up on myself and continue overeating. Dinner was a turkey patty, rutabega fries, and green beans. I have to go grocery shopping today and finish replenishing the refrigerator, which was emptied out for our vacation. Planning on beef stir fry for dinner using sirloin beef tips from the freezer, chinese veggies, and cauliflower "fried rice."
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #328  

A few weeks ago I did a huge batch cooking session so I've been riding easy for a while. I made Cheesy Enchilada Turkey Stuffed Peppers that are stuffed with turkey, mushrooms, cauliflower, zucchini. I used large halved red peppers and put a tiny bit of cilantro on top, then froze them into individual servings for lunches.

I'm still going strong. Everyone has been commenting on my weight loss - Going from 133-124 is a big difference on a little person! Just a little more to go!
Old 05-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #329  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
A few weeks ago I did a huge batch cooking session so I've been riding easy for a while. I made Cheesy Enchilada Turkey Stuffed Peppers that are stuffed with turkey, mushrooms, cauliflower, zucchini. I used large halved red peppers and put a tiny bit of cilantro on top, then froze them into individual servings for lunches.

Oh that looks great thanks ... We made the largest chow mein recipe on the planet tonight ... And will be eating it for days .. Did like double the vegetables and added a lb of ground beef .. But since I think it is about servings for 10 overall it didn't make a lot of calorie difference

A question ... How long did it take before your brain realized you were full and didn't need more ... My stomach is full but brain is still saying eat eat eat ...
Old 05-08-2015, 07:50 AM   #330  

I'm thinking that I will start next week combining this along with 5:2 .. Does anyone do this? I really would like to get to the point that it is natural to me to not worry about counting calories or stressing or obsessing over numbers .. I don't mind counting a few days of the week but I have a tendency to be obsessive .. I think in the past I have obsessed myself right into obesity