General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #241  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Just dropping by to tell HeeHawHoney that we tried her idea of the sauerkraut, sauteed onions, and turkey kielbasa for lunch and it really hit the spot. I left out the green pepper since DH doesn't like it. I'll use up the rest of the package of kielbasa in a gumbo later this week -- I have half a pkg. of frozen okra to use -- but the sauerkraut was fast and easy! And since I don't feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen today, it was just the ticket.

Last edited by ladynredd; 06-28-2014 at 06:48 PM.
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #242  

Default Cream of Zucchini Soup

'Tis the season for zucchini! Here's a good recipe for a quick, easy Cream of Zucchini Soup:
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/03/c...2B(Skinnytaste)

I also had a kewl Non Scale Victory yesterday. I went grocery shopping, bought liver for dinner, then when it came time to prepare it, discovered that it was definitely past its prime and not fit to eat. What to do, what to do? I needed something quick! My husband suggested ordering pizza AND I SAID NO and had a repeat of the sauerkraut + onions + turkey sausage! I don't think I've ever said no to pizza in my life!

And as a reward the scale showed a big dip down today.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #243  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

That zucchini soup is a recipe she posted a long time ago - I make it whenever I have too many zucchini and they're going to go bad. It's very freezer-friendly!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #244  

S/C/G: 230/218/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Hello all!

Munchy has invited me to the thread and I am happy to find one for my new eating habits. I am going to use recipes from Hungry Girl and have perhaps up to 1700 cal/day, but when I estimate breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 3 snacks per day.....I do not believe it adds up. It looks like less. What to do? Well if I am full and satisfied, nothing. If not, a lot of times the calorie count is so low you could eat two portions, and the portions are already large. My DH is going to do this with me so I do have direct support so that's good. I just hope I can get the hang of prepping and packaging.
Lacyt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #245  

Welcome Lacyt74! I hope you browse through our thread for more meal ideas.

Mashed cauliflower, cauliflower rice/couscous, zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, food processed mushrooms, cabbage noodles, etc are some of the really easy ways to start incorporating veggies into your dishes.

Some of us have a hard time eating so much and end up on the lower end of calories, but it's not too bad. You'll find your groove. Hungry girl has a lot of great ideas for stretching and bulking up meals with non-starchy vegetables, so it's a great reference point.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #246  

Our little thread has been pretty quiet lately. I've been playing around with my food the last couple weeks and have put a couple lbs. back on, so it's time to recommit and start going in the right direction.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #247  

Checking in here. Life is the same old, same old choices. I just returned from a five day training out of state and was able to stay on even with all of the delicious choices. I certainly ate more than normal, but didn't feel any gain since I chose the right foods.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #248  

That's excellent, Munchy! I think when we automatically make the right choices it shows we've really absorbed the new habits we're trying to make and it's become a part of us.

I'm just on day 2 of my restart here so not a lot to report. We're having corn for dinner (no butter, no salt) and watermelon for dessert.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #249  

Hey, everyone! I decided to cut out all grains as of lately, and I'm feeling less bloated already. I was on vacation last week and really ate the same kinds of food that I would normally eat, but just larger portions.

Back on track!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #250  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

So glad you bumped this...my boyfriend's father dropped off a bucket full of yellow squash and zucchini and I totally forgot about zucchini soup! Using a different recipe than what is listed above. I made this a few years ago and loved it, but I am going to use Laughing Cow cheese instead of the Boursin. I can't believe I forgot about this! The soup will be a nice change from my fruit & veggie smoothies for lunch.

Oh and my new favorite snack has been homemade pickles! It started with the cucumbers from my garden, but I also pickled peppers, summer squash and zucchini. So yummy and low calorie. They literally take 5 minutes to make

Munchy, sounds like a great change for you I don't imagine you're having too much trouble figuring out what to eat since you're already used to Volumetrics! Any good finds lately?

Last edited by nonameslob; 08-11-2014 at 12:37 PM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #251  

Ooh, that soup looks GREAT! I'd probably keep the boursin or change it to goat cheese so it's nice and strong.

I have a summer squash saute that I need to do something with...I may see if I can take it and make it into a soup since nobody is eating it. That or make a crustless quiche, mmm!

No new finds as of yet, but I'm likely going to make a Thai chicken zucchini noodle dish tonight, that is inspired by a site I saw earlier today. LINK
Old 08-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #252  
Call me NNS!

Oh the Thai dish sounds awesome. How did it turn out?

TBH I couldn't taste a difference between the Boursin garlic and herb cheese and the Laughing Cow garlic and herb cheese (once it was in the soup, at least). I originally went with Laughing Cow because I wanted a lower calorie option, but then I saw that Boursin makes a light version of the cheese. But LC was half the cost and I'm broke, so it worked out just fine. Goat cheese would be a good choice too.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #253  

I didn't even make it last night. I decided to use up the leftover squash/zucchini saute that I had and ate half of it with melted cheese and the other half with homemade marinara. All together it was a 210 calorie meal and was huge.

I have to get on that soup so I can use these zucchini. I didn't realize I had four in my fridge when I went grocery shopping, so I bought an additional eight

I plan to use two to make turkey/zucchini meatballs tonight, but my boyfriend also asked that I double the recipe, so I may be using four.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #254  
Call me NNS!

Sounds good, anyway, and much much easier!

I roasted the rest of my yellow squash, pureed and froze it while I was roasting the zucchini for the soup. My boyfriend was looking at me sideways the whole time, wondering what I'm going to do with it lol. I haven't figured that out yet, but I suppose a few cubes here and there in marinara, chili, etc. Any other ideas? I'm thinking of picking up more zucchini and yellow squash from the in-laws and doing a big batch.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #255  

Baby food!

You can always make a sauce for pasta with that and a little bit of chicken base and herbs. I'd absolutely add it into any sauces that I have, but I can't think of much else. If it's thick enough you can make gnocci out of it (like they do with pumpkin)...hmm, I'm at a loss! If it were shredded, I'd say fritters/latke, "pizza crust," and definitely meatballs and nuggets.