General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Larry glad to see that your edema went away quickly!

Today's meals are split pea soup, carrot/peanut soup, baby carrots and cherry tomatoes with ranch (yes, I'm a creature of habit!) and for dinner maybe some zucchini/turkey meatballs, homemade marinara, and whatever frozen veggies that I have on hand - Thursdays tend to be pretty busy because the little one has dance class and Girl Scouts so we often don't get home until 7:45 with a half hour break to eat dinner/do homework after school and work and before activities.

Last night we had mandarin chicken (not gluten free, but I'm surprisingly not feeling any ill effects right now), sauteed zucchini coins with onions, and sticky rice.

I just realized that I have two servings of spicy beans that I have to toss because I went past the freezer time limit. They're from June - EEK! They're pretty much the same recipe as the Mexican lasagna, except there is no chicken or corn, and they're made with pink kidney beans, and a bunch of chopped cilantro stirred in. I eat it with rice for a really filling, cheap meal.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #77  

I just saw this recipe and I had to share it Paleo Ravioli. I'm making it this weekend, for sure!

Old 02-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #78  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Ohh, that ravioli looks so good and it uses cauli-credo sauce just like mine except they add 1/4 cup coconut milk to it, interesting! I'm not sure if I can slice the squash that thin without a mandolin, though. Thank you so much for sharing, Munchy. I am definitely going to make it this weekend! I wonder if this could freeze well if I make a lot?

Last night's dinner was a huge taco salad. I originally was gonna make something similar to Munchy's Mexican chicken/bean lasagna but circumstances prevented me from that so I made grilled pork, white beans, cilantro lime brown rice, pan roasted corn, dollop of Greek yogurt and had that on a big bed of lettuce.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #79  

Amandie I knew you'd like that one - I saw that sauce immediately and thought of you!

I suddenly have a craving for sauteed broccoli slaw mixed with meat sauce. How odd!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

For satiety I am realizing that soups are a great option. However I am aiming for a minimum of 1200 calories and a maximum of 1500 calories. I have learnt that varying my caloric intake from day to day is better for my body.
I am going to look up a volumetrics book on Amazon right now
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Munchy, subbing summer squash for pasta sound very intriguing! When I eat pho out, I ask them to hold the noodles (I get some weird looks, after all it's sort of the point of pho). I dump the huge supply of bean sprouts they give me in the hot broth and its surprising what a good sub they make.

Amandie, subbing lettuce for the taco shell is another winner. I really dislike it when I eat out Mexican (DH's favorite) and they don't give me enough shredded lettuce to use as a base instead of the shell. Last time I ate out Mexican, I ordered a side salad for that reason.

Larry, sorry to hear that you have troubles with edema. Glad your meds are only "as needed" and you've shed that water weight.

Wed was off-plan (took DD out to eat lunch) but yesterday was back on. Started with red pepper strips and chavrie (I figure goats are grass fed, so it's a change up on healthy fats from my usual nuts). Then ate that long-awaited half acorn squash (had to toss the other half of the avacado). Then some chicken with spinach. I was too full at that point to eat any more, even my usual 2 squares of dark chocolate or my after-dinner decaf.

I have been intending to eat blueberries (defrosted w/truvia) as part of my dessert (for the anthocyanins) but I just don't get around to it. So, I bought some black rice. I made a small batch yesterday, but was too full by the time it was ready. I plan to have a little of that over the next few days.

Last edited by yoyoma; 02-28-2014 at 07:38 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #82  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
I suddenly have a craving for sauteed broccoli slaw mixed with meat sauce. How odd!
I went with my craving and had sauteed lettuce (about a half a head!) topped with the zucchini/turkey meatballs (which I crushed) mixed with marinara. It was delicious, and I used up lettuce that was about to go bad - win - win!

I'm going to make that ravioli this weekend and also make this Vegetable Polenta Casserole. I think both will be winners in my household. I'm making a grocery list right now
Old 02-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

puhlease1 - I am also a fan of Progresso Soup with added vegetables. I always choose the Progresso Light soup as my personal preferance. It comes so many different varieties. Right now my pantry contains: Chicken & Dumpling, Chicken Noodle, Beef Pot Roast, Italian Style Meatball, Chicken Corn Chowder, Chicken & Cheese Enchilada, Zesty Southwestern-Style Vegetable and finally Vegetable & Noodle. I almost always add green beans but some times I will add Tomatoes, Corn, Peas, Beans (Black, Kidney or Northern), Cabbage, Bell Pepper, Jalapeno, Celery, Carrots and Squash. The combination possibilities are endless. I also experiment adding different Spices, Hot Sauce, Fish and Meats. I want to try adding fresh Egg Plant as I think that would also work well. My finished meals are more stew like than soup like.

Munchy - Oh Yes, sticky rice. While in the US Navy I lived in Japan for five years where I learned to love sticky rice. Growing up my mother cooked Uncle Ben's Converted Rice. Until my Japan time I never knew how good rice can be. I now try to eat mostly brown rice but every so often I indulge in that great tasting white sticky rice. That Paleo Ravioli sounds great. I checked my kitchen gadgets and discovered that I do not own a mandolin. I am going to rectify that and buy one on eBay. While I am at it I will check out a Spirolizer as well.

amandie - That Taco Salad sounds great. I will have to try it.

kimmieval - I have all of the Volumetrics books but my favorite is the first one. "THE VOLUMETRICS WEIGHT-CONTROL PLAN" In my estimation it provides the best introduction to the Volumetrics Plan.

yoyoma - Thank you for your kind words about my edema.

For Dinner last night I chopped a half head of cabbage into about 1 inch pieces. Added 2 packets of Herb-Ox sodium free chicken boullion with 1 1/2 cup water. Boiled until tender and added a can of diced tomatoes, two cans of salmon, a tespoon of garlic powder and two table spoons of hot chili sauce.
I loved it and will do it again some time.

Dinner - 419 calories
Delmonte - California Petite Diced Tomatoes (No Salt Added), 1 3/4 cup
Chicken by the Sea - Pink Salmon Skinless and Boneless, 8 oz
Garlic - Powder - Generic, 1 tsp
Herb Ox - Chicken Bullion, Sodium Free, 2 packet
Cabbage - Raw, 1/2 head, medium (about 5-3/4" dia)
Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce - 2 tbsp
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #84  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
Munchy - Oh Yes, sticky rice. While in the US Navy I lived in Japan for five years where I learned to love sticky rice. Growing up my mother cooked Uncle Ben's Converted Rice. Until my Japan time I never knew how good rice can be. I now try to eat mostly brown rice but every so often I indulge in that great tasting white sticky rice. That Paleo Ravioli sounds great. I checked my kitchen gadgets and discovered that I do not own a mandolin. I am going to rectify that and buy one on eBay. While I am at it I will check out a Spirolizer as well.
When I went to college it was the first time I remember eating boiled plain rice, and I WAS NOT a fan! My family has been buying jasmine rice and using a rice cooker since I was a kid.

Have you tried black (forbidden) rice instead of brown? It's super sticky, and I've read that it may be healthier than brown rice. It's DELICIOUS! Also, I don't know if it makes a difference if you're buying jasmine rice (comes in brown) vs another kind. I always buy jasmine and it comes out sticky every time.

I don't have a mandolin either, but I've made the zucchini slices for the noodle-less lasagna by using the side of my cheese grater, so this should work too, though I may need to go thinner than that.

I've got to go grocery shopping today since my menu plan is ready to go. I'm not in the mood! Plans include:

Polenta vegetable bake
Paleo ravioli
zucchini/turkey meatballs
squash/chicken nuggets
spicy tomato blue cheese soup
roasted red pepper soup
chicken enchilada soup
Mexican lasagna (with zucchini instead of beans)

I am excited because I found Kerrygold grassfed butter at a local discount store, so I'm going to pick some up
Old 03-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 320/239/150

Height: 5'8"

Larry - I love experimenting with the Progresso soups as well, and I'm also a fan of heating it up with a hot sauce of some type or other.

This past week has been rough, and I've gone up and down on the scale, but I've pretty much broken even weight-wise. Better than continuing regain, but not acceptable enough. Today back on track and back to lots and lots of veggies added to low cal soups to up volume.

Last edited by puhlease1; 03-03-2014 at 10:16 PM.
puhlease1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Munchy - I have never tried black (forbidden) rice instead of brown. I will have to look for it and try it. Are the nutritional values similar to brown rice?

puhlease1 - Sorry to hear you had a rough week. I call a week with "NO GAIN" a winning week.

My DW said she was tired of potatoes and asked if I could make a side pasta. She was in the grocery store with me at the time and handed me a box of Betty Crocker Suddenly Pasta Salad Classic. At home I started thinking what can be done with this? I cut up boneless, skinless chicken breast into bite size pieces and stir fried them in a small amount of extra virgin olive oil. Just to the point of being done. I do not like over cooked, dried out chicken. I set this aside and opened the Suddenly Salad and removed the pasta pouch to give away to someone. My DW is a diabetic and we found that Dreamfields Pasta with only 5g of digestible carbs has a much lower effect on her blood sugar readings. I chose the Penne Rigate pasta and cooked it to al dente and then drained it. While it was cooking I took an entire package of frozen Broccoli Florets and steamed it. At the same time I prepared the seasoning packet from the Suddenly Salad according to the package directions. Then I put everything together in a medium large bowl and mixed it to get the seasoning to coat everything. This became our main dish instead of a side dish. After taking a few bites my DW said "This is a Keeper" after tasting it I had to agree. Substituting the pasta and adding all of the vegetables made this a very tasty and filling Volumetrics meal with only 400 calories per serving.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #87  

Yesterday I had a rough day. After work I decided to run errands, pick up my child at the last possible minute from after school care, run more errands and we didn't get home until almost 8pm. That was a recipe for disaster because at target I munched on a few baked kettle chips while we got what we needed. I ended up at 1064 calories.

Today is day 3 of my no alcohol foray and I'm feeling pretty good. My plan for today would put me at about 600 calories, so I'm going to try to bump it up with some baked chicken wings. At around 100 calories a wing, I can stand to eat 4
Old 03-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #88  
I got this

Larry- I really like that Suddenly Pasta salad and like you, have not used the pasta except for the seasoning. Pretty good, IIRC.

Yesterday's dinner was a cauli-rice (combo of brown rice and shredded cauliflower) with a bit of green salsa verde, broth, lemon-lime juice and cilantro along with black beans. Had some in one corn tortilla then the rest as a salad. Oh I added greek yogurt to the cauli-rice since the salsa verde was spicier than I expected. You all may like it but next time, I will strain the salsa since there were a ton of jalapenos in it. I am so glad I did not put in the whole can of the salsa. Darn my GERD or I'd eat it all!!!

This morning for breakfast, I had 2 eggs with 1/4 cup beans and 1 slice of cheese on one small tortilla. I don't normally eat breakfast but I wanted to be sure I could focus on my Sociology test that I had this morning, not be distracted by my hunger, heh.

Not sure about dinner yet. I will be back to update later.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #89  
I got this

Well, dinner was not volumetric per se but I made a thin crust pizza with a ton of bell peppers (green, yellow and orange), tomatoes and onions along with 20 slices of pepperoni and just enough cheese. I had 2 small square slices and a huge salad to go with it.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #90  

We had more errands and got back later than expected. That polenta vegetable casserole keeps getting pushed!

We ended up eating a Trader Joe's frozen polenta, spinach, and carrot mix, and some pan seared tilapia. Delicious and 300 calories.

I had two squares of TJ salted dark chocolate caramel for another 100 and I ended up at 801 for the day.

Today's plan is in the air - my breakfast, lunch and snack at work are set - but I don't know what my boyfriend will make us for dinner. Chicken breasts and mushrooms are the plan, but he hasn't decided how to prepare them. I'll be out and about until after 7:30 (I hate Thursdays), so he has plenty of time to decide. I'm secretly hoping he will do mushroom and spinach stuffed chicken rollatinis. I doubt he would, LMAO!