Volumetrics Followers

You're on Page 4 of 35
Go to
  • Count me in as one who loves Volumetrics. I lost 120 lbs through WW but at the same time, sticking to high fiber low calorie, bulky foods. My breakfast for the last 10+ years has been 6 egg whites, 1 ounce of cheese, and frozen spinach defrosted and squeezed out. I put at least a lb of spinach in it. I eat it with salsa. Fills me up! I have been eating a lot of spaghetti squash and brussel sprouts lately.
  • Quote: Count me in as one who loves Volumetrics. I lost 120 lbs through WW but at the same time, sticking to high fiber low calorie, bulky foods. My breakfast for the last 10+ years has been 6 egg whites, 1 ounce of cheese, and frozen spinach defrosted and squeezed out. I put at least a lb of spinach in it. I eat it with salsa. Fills me up! I have been eating a lot of spaghetti squash and brussel sprouts lately.
    monmis to the Volumetrics thread. We would love to hear your experience and what you eat. WOW!! 120 lbs.
  • Monmis12- Wow, 120lbs. Very impressive! Your breakfast sounds yummy. Yay for another WWer!

Yesterday was not a V day since we went out to eat but this place was CHEAP!!! BF and I shared a pepper and steak kabob and a cheeseburger. Then I had a small pizza'dilla with a ton of fresh spinach in it when I got home.

Dinner tonight- Smoked turkey sausage and ziti pasta with alfredo sauce. I added roasted mushrooms (I used a whole can and dry-roasted it in a pan with garlic and lemon pepper along with spinach then pulsed it in food processor with alfredo sauce.) So filling!
  • My whole day was Volumetric and I am uncomfortably full. I only ate 877 calories for the entire day. Breakfast was a huge omelet, Lunch was a recipe from Volumetrics book called "Garlic Roasted Vegetables" that I modified and made into a vegetable stew. It was very good and very large but for the best eye appeal needed something red in color. Next time that I make it I will use either red bell pepper or diced tomatoes and I will freeze half. Seriously it was too much to eat but I pigged out and ate it. Dinner was a grilled chicken breast with Cajun seasoning and three medium raw tomatoes cut up with Alsosalt sprinkled on them. I also ate a Granny Smith Apple in the morning as a snack.

Breakfast - 284 Calories
    Extra Large Eggs, 3 egg
    2 Fresh Jalapeno, Raw
    Yellow Onion 1/2 small raw onion
    Green Bell Pepper Raw

Lunch - 355 Calories
    Great Value Broccoli & Cauliflower Steamable, 2 cup
    Sliced Yellow Squash, 2 cup
    Baby Cut Carrots, Raw, 1 container (10 oz ea.)10g
    Yellow Onion - Medium (2.5" Diameter), 1
    Fresh Jalapeno, Raw, 2
    Great Value - Minced Garlic, 1 tsp
    Mccormick - Ground Thyme, 1 tsp
    Alsosalt - Sodium Free Salt Substitute, 1/2 tsp
    Parsley Flakes, Dried, 1 Tbsp
    Herb Ox Instant Chicken Broth & Seasoning Sodium Free, 1 Packet
    Tap - Water - 1 1/2 cup

Dinner - 158 Calories
    Homemade Cajun Spiced Chicken Breast, 1 breast
    Fresh Raw Tomato (Medium), 3

Snack - 80 Calories
    Granny Smith Raw Apple, 1 medium
  • Wow!! This is a great thread. I'm not doing this diet but I am learning a lot about it.
  • Low calories again today 999 total. I cut way back on lunch and it was still too much. Volumetrics sure is working for me. I have not been hungry since I started following it.

Breakfast - 285 Calories
    Cereal - Fiber One Original, 1 cup
    Skim Milk, 3/4 cup
    Sweet 'n Low - Artificial Sweetner, 1 pkt.
    Banana - Medium Size (6.5oz)

Lunch - 399 Calories
    1/2 Raw Onion - Medium (2.5" Diameter)
    Sliced Yellow Squash, 1 cup
    Great Value (Walmart) - Broccoli & Cauliflower Steamable, 1 cup
    Green String Beans Steamed , 1 cup
    Delmonte - Stewed Tomatoes No Salt, (1 1/2 cups ea.)
    Green Bell Pepper 1/2
    Great Value - Green Peas, Frozen (1/2 cup)
    Dried Basil Leaves, Ground, 1 tsp
    Bay Leaf, 1 leaf
    Sriracha Hot Salsa, 2 Tbsp.
    Pure Ground Black Pepper, 1/4 teaspoon

Dinner - 160 Calories
    Chicken Breast, 2.25 oz
    Herb Ox - Chicken Bullion, Sodium Free, 2 packet
    Libby's - Naturals - Cut Green Beans No Salt - No Sugar Added, 1 3/4 Cup
    Old Bay - Seasoning, 1/2 tsp

Snacks - 155 Calories
    Apple Fresh - Granny Smith Apple, 1 medium
    Large, Navel Orange
  • I am following my own very specific approach to eating, but I draw on my experience with Volumetrics as part of the plan. I only eat one meal a day, but I progress through my meal in an increasing food density order. So, I start out with something that has very low calorie density, like raw veggies, brothy soup, low-sugar fruit (e.g. melon), some cooked veggies. I usually eat enough of that to fill up, but then I move onto the more "toothsome" foods, either protein or mixed protein and veg, sometimes with a little bit of starch (by which I mean a few tablespoons of brown rice or lentils). After that, my dessert (something like 2 squares dark choc). I do eat a high-density serving at nuts during the first course. That may seem anti-intuitive, but it stretches out the first course and my nuts are measured, unlike the other portions of my meal (except dessert). There's more to my approach than that, but the point is that I do pay attention to the Volumetrics approach of low density foods, but I adapt it into my own plan. It's part of what makes my plan work for me (to avoid calorie counting).

Wishing you much luck with your own plan!
  • yoyoma It sounds to me like you have a great plan for yourself. No plan fits all and we each need to find what works for each of us. One meal a day is fine in my book. Back in the 60's I went a couple of months eating one meal every other day. Later in life when I was in the 360 pound range I used to joke that I only had one meal a day that lasted 24 hours.

Your plan indeed is very Volumetrics based. You are filling up on low calorie dense foods before progressing to the higher density foods. You are not ignoring any food groups and your high density nuts are measured. Obviously your plan is working well for you. Your ticker shows you have lost 31 pounds. Congratulations on that loss. The main difference in our plans besides the number of meals is that I am counting calories. I need to do it because of my compulsive over eating. I always told people I could get fat on apples. Funny but it is possible if I were to eat enough of them to exceed my daily calorie requirements. I find it extremely easy to count calories using My Fitness Pal. If I had to do it the old fashioned way with pencil and paper I would soon quit counting.

Please post often I would love to hear what you are eating that is producing your success.
  • Lunch
    I dreamed up an incredibly good tasting Volumetric fish stew for lunch today using a frozen Swai filet. It was a huge lunch and only 585 calories and 254mg of sodium for the "entire recipe"

Swai Fish Stew

Ingredients:

Swai - White Fish Fillets, 6 oz. (cut in bite size pieces)
    Winn Dixie - Cut Green Beans - No Salt Added, 1 3/4 cup (drained)
    Delmonte - California Petite Diced Tomatoes No Salt Added, 1 3/4 cup (not drained)
    Fresh - Jalapeño, 2 Peppers
    Great Value - Pure Ground Black Pepper, 1/4 tsp
    Ground Cumin, 1 tsp
    Chili Powder, 3 tsp
    Great Value - Minced Garlic, 3 tsp
    Herb Ox Instant Chicken Broth & Seasoning Sodium Free, 1 Packet
    Water 1 1/2 cup

Directions

Put all ingredients into a pan
    Cover and bring to a boil
    Boil for 5 minutes
    Reduce heat and simmer for 10 additional minutes
    Enjoy

Entire recipe nutrition:

Calories 585
    Carbohydrates 55g
    Fat 7g
    Protein 44g
    Sodium 254mg
    Fiber 21g

Dinner
    For dinner I took 1/2 cup of home made left over beef stew and added
    2 Jalapeno Peppers diced
    1 can Libby's No Salt Added Green Beans with liquid
    1 can Del Monte No Salt Added Mixed Vegetables
    This made a very large chunky beef vegetable soup that tasted great and was only 273 calories and 250mg of sodium for the entire recipe
  • Volumetrics is working well for me!

The results of my third week of Eating More to Weigh Less using the Volumetrics Plan are:

4 pounds loss this week

The first week on the plan was a 3 pound loss
    The second week on the plan was a 2 pound loss
    The third week on the plan was a 4 pound loss
  • Munchy, under 700 calories does sound dangerously low. Do you have a doctor on board? I understand that the RD might not have had a good plan for you. We do need to become our own experts. Adding nuts sounds like a healthy addition and I eat some every day. I also take fish oil, since I rarely end up making fish for myself.

We ate Chinese out last night, and I did pretty well at dinner, following Valumetrics guidelines. I wanted to start with a soup, but unfortunately, there weren't any I wanted (I remember one was intestine and blood sausage soup, lol). So I ordered Chinese broccoli with garlic (it was sliced garlic, not garlic sauce). Then I also ate some of the other table food family-style, but overall I did well at dinner. Afterwards, we stopped in at a Chinese bakery, and unfortunately, I didn't do as well there (the real problem was the goodies got brought home. If we had eaten dessert then, I would have stuck to one roll. Oh, well!).

Despite eating out, my scale didn't go up this morning, so I am pretty happy. I'll need to work on better strategies for take-home goodies in the future.
  • I finished today at 825 calories and I could not possibly eat a single bite more.

I over ate and I am stuffed to the max

I made the following for dinner and ate it all.

Raw Cabbage, (1/2 Small Head chopped)
    Delmonte - California Petite Diced Tomatoes (No Salt Added), 1 3/4 cup
    Winn Dixie - Cut Green Beans - No Salt Added, 1 3/4 cup
    Fresh - Jalapeño, 2 Pepper
    Herb Ox - Chicken Bullion, Sodium Free, 1 packet
    Garlic - Powder, 1 tsp
    Oregano, Dried, Leaves, 1 tsp
    Seasoning, 1 tsp
    Water 1 1/2 cup
    AlsoSalt 1/2 tsp
    Ground Black Pepper 1/4 tsp
  • Another low calorie day after eating a large amount of food.

Today's Calories 738
  • Quote: Munchy, under 700 calories does sound dangerously low. Do you have a doctor on board? I understand that the RD might not have had a good plan for you. We do need to become our own experts. Adding nuts sounds like a healthy addition and I eat some every day. I also take fish oil, since I rarely end up making fish for myself.
    It's definitely low. I'm trying hard to get more food in. So many of the things I love to have on hand are just too filling and I need to go for denser foods. I added in the avocado for a few days and realized that I don't have the best reaction to it. I was sick for days. This is the fifth time it's happened, so I'm pretty sure I can't do avocado

I'm also trying to eat more during the day, but I'm stuffed early then not able to eat later. The other day I took my little one out to Red Robin and ordered a chicken sandwich in lettuce and even went for the fries. I ate a little less than half of them and couldn't eat another bite until the following day.

Enough about me! Larry, you are doing wonderfully. Everyone else, I'm so happy to see this thread growing

Today's plan is tomato soup, lentil soup, baby carrots and cucumbers, and dinner is probably whatever the boyfriend makes. I'm heading to the grocery store after work so I'll have a lot on hand.
  • Lunch is my largest meal of the day. DW wanted to go to Golden Corral today. I made it into a Volumetrics Meal. Heavy on the vegetables with a serving of baked fish topped with salsa instead of tarter sauce.

I pigged out and it was only 715 Calories

Golden Corral - Green Beans, 1 cup
    Golden Corral - Cut Corn, 1/2 Cup
    Golden Corral - Baby Lima Beans, 1/2 cup
    Golden Corral - Southern Style Black-Eyed Peas, 1/2 Cup
    Golden Corral - Cabbage, 1 Cup
    Golden Corral - Small Salad With Low Fat Italian Dressing
    Golden Corral - Baked New Orleans Style Fish, 1.5 each
    Golden Corral - Salsa, 2 Tablespoons