3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Volumetrics Followers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/292426-volumetrics-followers.html)

ladynredd 10-24-2014 08:27 AM

Popping in again to say hi. I am doing well -- last month I lost 10 lbs. -- so I feel my combination of WW, Volumetrics, and two partial fast days per month is working.

Yesterday was a very long day -- had two captioning assignments then went to two different stores for groceries. I was trying to use up some older produce from the produce bin so for dinner I put a teensy bit of coconut oil in a frying pan, sliced 2 small potatoes and pan fried until the first side was browning, then turned them and added half a sliced onion, half a head of sliced cabbage, and half a turkey kielbasa sausage, cut in chunks. Then I added about half a cup of water, covered it and steamed it all until the cabbage was done, maybe 8 minutes. The sound of the food cooking will change when the water is gone -- don't let it scorch! I sprinkled the top of mine with caraway seeds. Made a generous dinner for the both of us and was quite tasty.

JoSoCal 10-28-2014 02:49 AM

I've been slowly but surely going through all the pages of posts on this Thread. Does Larry H. post anymore?? I have a question about Progresso soups, so maybe he or someone else will read this and post an answer.

Is there any specific or particular Progresso soup "calorie count" that would be used for Volumetrics? I know there are a lot of choices for Progresso soups.

Usually, I try to find the lowest calorie and lowest carbs soup, and then I doctor it up with a can of green beans and some other veggies. I also pick out the pasta and potatoes (if they happen to be in the soup I choose) because my Type 2 Diabetes doesn't like pasta and 'taters, and I also seem to be limited with lentils and legumes as well. It would be nice to know I can be a bit more flexible with soup choices and just pick "anything" off the shelf and add the veggies that don't raise my blood glucose.

Thanks for any info!
Jo

Munchy 12-10-2014 11:54 AM

Miss you guys! I'm still staying where I am, no real changes. I have 6 months before my wedding, and it's starting to make me nervous! I really would be upset if I had to walk down the aisle looking like this. Just 10-15lbs, but it brings me from upper normal BMI to middle BMI.

:mad:

ladynredd 01-06-2015 08:34 AM

Hey guys, it's 2015 and a traditional time for everyone to quit eating stuff they know they aren't supposed to eat and start eating right and exercising. I had a long hiatus "off" and regained 14 lbs. I'm on my 3rd or 4th day back with my little program and starting to feel a bit better about myself.

How is everyone else doing?

Munchy 01-06-2015 09:14 AM

I'm on it! I've made weekly meal plans and filled my Christmas gift (a new stand up freezer!) with plenty of healthy meals - I spent a day cooking and portioning: sweet potato turkey chili, pumpkin turkey chili, minestrone, turkey picadillo, turkey/zucchini meatballs, zucchini/chicken nuggets, and an egg white sausage veggie bake.

As long as I have a lot of meals at my disposal, it makes everything easier. I NEED to lose 15lbs before my wedding - 5 months. Eek!

superfluous 01-06-2015 04:03 PM

I'm glad I found this thread a few months ago and started buying progresso soups. I buy the ones that are ~100 cal per serving or less (maybe 110-120) and have replaced one meal a day with soup. Plus I try to eat lots of greens daily as a part of dinner. They have been a lifesaver as the soup satiates me during my weakest part of the day, and the salads seem to keep me full or help me to eat less at dinner.

It helps that I absolutely love soup and salad. Sometimes people ask me what I do, so I tell them about Volumetrics, and almost invariably they disagree, they still go on about carbs and still try to get me to do Paleo or Atkins but those would never work for me. I don't care much for meat. I'm not a vegetarian, I mean, meat is OK, just can't possibly imagine eating so much of it, the thought makes me ill. I never believed all the carb hype anyway.

That's not to say I think Volumetrics is for everyone. I went to dinner at a friends house once and he served chicken. I mean, he cooked a whole chicken, and that's it. No veggies, no potatoes, no sides to speak of, not even any sauce or basting. Literally just chicken. I didn't complain or anything, the chicken was fine, but I would not recommend this plan to him!

Basically you pick the plan that works best for you, and this is the one for me.

FinallyFree 01-06-2015 08:03 PM

Hi Guys,
This is neat to find this thread! I was thinking if I bulk up on veggies, since I love to chew that it would help my effort. I just didn't know there was a name for it....

ladynredd 01-15-2015 09:36 AM

Since the weather is cold and nasty through so much of the U.S., I thought I'd share the link to a yummy vegetable soup I made the other night. Be warned -- it makes a LOT!

http://tone-and-tighten.com/2014/05/...and-fiber.html

Munchy 01-15-2015 09:55 AM

Ladynredd, looks great!

I've been making these kung pao zoodles nonstop. They're so good and I keep those ingredients on hand all the time, so it's an easy go-to.

I lost 2lbs last week and I'm going to weigh in tomorrow. I'm a little scared because it's a TOM weigh in, but I'm hopeful that next week will be even better even if this one sucks. 11lbs to go or 16 ULTIMATE. 5 months, let's go!

ladynredd 01-16-2015 08:28 AM

Oooh, Munchy, those kung pao zoodles look good! DH doesn't like spicy food but I'm thinking I'm going to have to whip up a batch or two just for me -- I'm having to eat more meals by myself lately since his mom's health is declining and he's having to spend more time with her. I'm very tempted by the big spiralizer the author recommends -- I have a little hand-held one that's okay if all you want to do is spiralize one zucchini but I wouldn't try it on anything more. It never occurred to me you could use the big version to "rice" cauliflower -- I do have several recipes that I grate cauliflower for. I might be able to justify the storage space for the big spiralizer after all!

Munchy 01-16-2015 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladynredd (Post 5118707)
Oooh, Munchy, those kung pao zoodles look good! DH doesn't like spicy food but I'm thinking I'm going to have to whip up a batch or two just for me -- I'm having to eat more meals by myself lately since his mom's health is declining and he's having to spend more time with her. I'm very tempted by the big spiralizer the author recommends -- I have a little hand-held one that's okay if all you want to do is spiralize one zucchini but I wouldn't try it on anything more. It never occurred to me you could use the big version to "rice" cauliflower -- I do have several recipes that I grate cauliflower for. I might be able to justify the storage space for the big spiralizer after all!

I'm sorry to hear about your mother in law. :hug:

I have the paderno spiralizer and I use it weekly (sometimes more often!) and have for about two years. As soon as I got it, I bought one for my mom. She doesn't use it much, but when my brother found out she had one, he started using it nonstop. The kung pao is not very spicy - if you want to reduce the chili garlic by half, you can, but I added A LOT of sriracha onto mine because it wasn't spicy enough as the recipe is written. My fiance and brother also love it.

For the cauliflower, I usually just rice an entire head and freeze it into 1 cup baggies. I'm really the only one that eats it, so an entire head would go bad quickly, not to mention that cleanup for just a little bit at a time!

Check out www.inspiralized.com for a bunch of vegetable pasta and rice ideas. She is AMAZING!

My TOM weigh in put me at .6 higher than last week. I'm trying not to be upset about it, but I am a little down. Hopefully next week I get a better result on the scale.

ladynredd 01-16-2015 12:04 PM

Here's a recipe I received today from Full Plate ... I haven't tried it yet but will give it a try. I'm trying to learn to like kale, I know it's crazy good for me.

https://fullplateliving.org/diet/rec...9ddb6-60590753

Munchy 01-16-2015 12:43 PM

Ladynredd, can I suggest baby kale instead of the regular? It's much more mild and can be eaten raw without massaging.

My mom makes the BEST kale salad. She olive oil massages the kale and lets it sit for about an hour, then adds feta, chopped tomatoes, pine nuts, and balsamic with salt and pepper. I usually don't like salads like that, but it's seriously delicious.

Or, my favorite way to eat veggies is in burger form! Kale and Portobello burger.

LowDown 03-20-2015 08:48 AM

Impastable (low carb pasta)

Okay - I tried this and it's the best low carb pasta I've tried. It makes a great filler for only 60 calories and 8 carbs a serving. I added it to a low carb tuna casserole, and it was very good.

Munchy 03-20-2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowDown (Post 5144769)
Okay - I tried this and it's the best low carb pasta I've tried. It makes a great filler for only 60 calories and 8 carbs a serving. I added it to a low carb tuna casserole, and it was very good.

I LOVE using veggie noodles - there are so many variations!

Veggie noodle recipes