General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #196  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Default I now have a diagnosis

Thursday I was told that I have Emphysema and COPD. I quit smoking 36 years ago but I guess the cigarettes are going to get me eventually. The doctor said it was most likely caused by my smoking so many years ago.

My Pulmonologist scheduled me for a breathing test on 5/5/2014 To evaluate my lung condition and my chronic cough. On Thursday 5/15/2014 I visited His office to discuss the breathing test results. He said the test showed my lung function is 93%. He listened to my lungs and said I have mild Emphysema and COPD and that this is a progressive disease and it will get worse over time. A follow up appointment is scheduled for six months. The doctor said I should lose weight and exercise. He also offered a prescription for an inhaler which after a discussion with him and with his agreement I have declined until my shortness of breath gets worse.

The doctor says that weight loss and exercise will slow but not stop this disease from progressing. Slowing it sounds good to me so yesterday I dug out my long neglected bicycle, inflated the tires and went for a ride. It felt good. I did not go too far and was a little short of breath but I will continue while I can.

All the testing never found a cause of my chills. They have not happened again. The doctor said "maybe you are getting old" I don't know if that is a compliment or an insult.

Today is DW birthday and she wants Red Lobster. I pulled the nutrition list off their web site and will select a low calorie dense food.

I am so pleased to see the growth of this thread

nonameslob - Welcome
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #197  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

I am so glad to have found this thread and wanted to share! I am a member of 2FC but I've been away too long and mostly used to lurk.

I've realized I'm a volume eater and always lost best on a volumetrics style of eating.

I wanted to share my very fav. recipe:

Ginger Turkey Slaw Stirfry: (makes a HUGE batch and freezes very well).

1 large or two small cabbage (I used one purple and one green sometimes)
1 bunch green onion
4 cloves garlic or 2 T garlic from a jar
3 tbsp grated ginger root
1 lb lowest fat ground turkey you can find (I've found 1%)
2-3 bell peppers ( like to mix colors)
½ head broccoli chopped
3 carrots grated
3 T coconut oil or ghee (I find these take the high heat the best and the calories are well dispersed because this makes a HUGE batch and it freezes very well)
1/2 C low sodium soy sauce
2 T rooster sauce
1/3 c (or to taste) brown sugar ideal (a SF brown sugar replacement you could use real brown sugar of course)
2 t roasted sesame oil
4 T sesame seeds
2-3 T water and more as needed

process all veggies in food processor
grate ginger by hand (use lots! More than you think you need)

warm coconut oil or ghee in largest pan you have. I used a large dutch oven and cook veggies about 30 min.. stirring every 7 or so minutes.. on low.. till reduced in size by at least half.

I cooked the meat separately while veggies are cooking.

I put the soy sauce, sesame oil, rooster sauce, garlic.. etc in a bowl and pour in about 1/3 C brown sugar ideal..
Mixed it all up and pour over veggies..

Add the already cooked turkey and put the lid on … put it on low and simmered about 30 min.. this stuff is freaking incredible if you like ginger or anything with an Oriental flair..
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #198  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Welcome Runundefined! The more the merrier.

I do have a couple questions about the recipe you posted. What is Rooster Sauce? I don't think I've ever seen it so is there something else that can be substituted for it?

Also, what do you mean by "process" in the food processor? Can the vegetables just be grated by hand? I don't have a food processor so I'd have to find some way around that part of the recipe. I'm very fond of Asian food though so I'm motivated!
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #199  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

You can certainly chop by hand. I like the pieces pretty small so I use a food processor. Rooster sauce is siracha pepper sauce.. i would think any good hot sauce would work! Let me know what you think.
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #200  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Larry, so sorry to hear that news. I hope weight loss and exercise works well to slow the progression.

I went on a cooking spree this weekend with inspiration from this thread. I made turkey meatballs with zucchini, spinach and carrots in them. So yummy! I made my own gravy and cooked up some sausage too so we can have a "proper" italian dinner this week, though i will probably make zucchini noodles for myself and pasta for him. Im sure my italian grandmom is rolling in her grave lol hope the bf likes the meatballs.

I also made a batch of turkey burgers with mushrooms in them. He didn't balk at me when I told him about it, so that's good. I used way less mushrooms than the recipe called for, but figured we will see how this goes first.

I also bought a huge bag of spinach from Costco...and I'm the only one in this house that eats it so I think I know what I'll be esting every day this week!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:11 AM   #201  

Welcome Runundefined I look forward to trying your stir fry. It sounds delicious.

I made a very simple Volumetrics dinner tonight and quite tasty. All from cans

No salt added diced tomatoes
No salt added Green Beans
No salt added mushrooms
1 TBSP Old Bay seasoning

About to switch to fresh vegetables in a big way. My garden has wax and green beans ready for picking along with 4 different varieties of lettuce, Radishes, Green Onions, Cilantro, Beet Greens and Collards. My tomatoes are just starting to change colors and my peppers are forming small peppers. The egg plants are getting taller but have no flowers yet
Old 05-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #202  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Ladynredd Yay for your NSV!

Larry I'm sorry to ear about all of your health woes right now - hopefully they will just maintain, if not, improve with time. We're all rooting for you!

Rundefined I've also never really called my eating volumetrics, just stumbled on this kind of eating until I realized a few years ago that I just naturally did it and there was a name for it!

Your stir fry looks amazing and I'm absolutely making it. I have had a sriracha obsession for close to 20 years - thank my Vietnamese best friend for that one!

My boyfriend and I went down to the shore to buy books at my favorite little place on Saturday and decided to get some seafood. I got an amazing salad, but we had jalapeno and olive fried calamari too (Point Judith calamari). Man, my stomach was in pain until late that night. I could never eat fried food, even as a child - same with my mom. After that lunch, we were hungry about 8 hours later and made an amazing jerk chicken with fresh pineapple juice. It was the best chicken I've ever tasted in my life!

Yesterday I made Polish chicken patties with carrots and onion grated into them. I portioned them out for my freezer lunches, made some zucchini/chicken nuggets for the freezer, and my egg muffins for breakfast this week. I haven't felt the need to cook 8+ dishes in a day like I used to since my boyfriend moved in. It's much easier when I have another person who can take the reigns sometimes, and yesterday we made an entire rack of ribs with homemade dry rub. It took five hours! I ate one rib, but it was still too much for me. We obviously have way too much leftover, as well as a half of a bottle of champagne that I plan to finish off tonight

Today's plan:
May 19, 2014
B: Hot tea w/lemon and agave (30), 2 egg white ham muffins (80) = 110 (2.5)
S: ¾ cup pineapple = 55 (1)
L: Polish chicken patties (194) = 194 (4)
S: Baby carrots/cherry tomato (50) w/ light ranch (80) = 130 (2)
D: Jerk chicken (120), spinach and kale salad, cucumbers, tomatoes, mushroom (30), 2T TJ light champagne vinaigrette (50) = 200 (4)
S: Champagne (250) = 250 (5)
TOTAL: 939 (18.5)

Last edited by Munchy; 05-19-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #203  

nonameslob if your boyfriend is anything like mine, the burgers and the meatballs will be a hit! Veggies make the lean meat juicy without adding fat.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #204  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
nonameslob if your boyfriend is anything like mine, the burgers and the meatballs will be a hit! Veggies make the lean meat juicy without adding fat.
He ate four! He did ask what was in them (because he knew they weren't beef, but that's a silly question because I never cook with beef) and had no clue there were veggies in them until I told him (and he was fine with it). Thanks! Thursday I will get to test out the burgers
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:46 AM   #205  

I see that the highly respected Mayo Clinic is recommending eating low calorie dense foods. That is what Volumetrics is all about.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/art-20044318
Old 05-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #206  

We all know about using cauliflower for mashed potatoes but today I was sent a recipe from Hungry Girl that uses cauliflower instead of potatoes for a potato salad she calls "I Can't Believe It's Not Potato Salad" Only 97 calories a serving.

I have to try this. The recipe looks like it would be great.

Larry

http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/hung...o-salad-recipe
Old 05-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #207  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
We all know about using cauliflower for mashed potatoes but today I was sent a recipe from Hungry Girl that uses cauliflower instead of potatoes for a potato salad she calls "I Can't Believe It's Not Potato Salad" Only 97 calories a serving.

I have to try this. The recipe looks like it would be great.

Larry

http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/hung...o-salad-recipe
I also use cauliflower to make cauli-rice (even fried "rice"), cauli-couscous, pizza crust, "breadsticks," and more. It's extremely versatile!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #208  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

A good scale victory this week!

Don't really have a lot to report. I am continuing to do what I have found works: Very Low Calorie days twice a week, and Volumetrics principles the rest of the week. I am able to go out and eat and make sensible choices and I'm not having to battle a lot of cravings. I'm trying to learn to pay attention to what my body tells me and learn to tell the difference between actual hunger and when I just have the munchies, which usually means there's something emotionally uncomfortable going on in my life. (Figuring out just what it is, and what I should do about it, can be another matter.)

I was amused to see "Magic Weight Loss Soup" showing up in my Pinterest feed this week. And yes, I went ahead and pinned it. It's based on the old WW cabbage soup I used to have for my dinner almost every night (and then spoiled the good effects by having a big honkin' piece of cornbread to go along with it.) I will probably make up a batch of it this week -- and it makes a BIG batch -- and freeze the excess. Summer is rapidly approaching and when it's 120 degrees outside I'm not going to feel like doing much that heats up the kitchen.

Finally, Larry, I was sorry to hear of your diagnosis but perhaps it's some relief actually knowing what is wrong and having a Plan of Action? At any rate I continue to send healing thoughts your way. I continue to feel that I owe you a huge debt for starting this thread so I would learn about this Way of Eating and finally, FINALLY, find what works!
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #209  
Lorna

S/C/G: 217/Ticker/175

Height: 5'10"

Love this thread so much, and have literally spend the last hour reading, and copying pasting some great tips. Thank you all. I am not Volumetrics minded, but it seems like something that can easily be incorporated, AND they are all my kinds of foods, yummy!!

My little tuppence worth is my obsession with roast butternut squash – I fill up on an entire pack – JUST FOR LIL OLE ME, yaaaay!!! I add a little Moroccan Spice, or Tandoori Spice to yummy it up even more.

I need to get back into making home-made soups, its something that enjoy doing over the winter for sure – I usually get some good flavor from boiling up the carcass of a rotisserie chicken (I usually buy 3 of these babies each week, and break them down on the same day I buy them, and use them for different things), to which I ALSO add any leftover veggies, strain – all of this makes a yummy stock base (cheap too, and you can freeze portions).

So, thank you all, lots of food for thought, literally ))

P.S. Right now I am about to munch into a whole wheat sandwich, no butter, spread with some hot salsa, filled with one slice of Colby cheese, and a ton of veggies (lettuce/spinach/ romaine/carrots/peppers/alfalfa sprouts)…mucnh, munch, yum, yum!! x
Lorna F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #210  

Welcome Lorna F!

I love roasted butternut squash so much, but I hate peeling and cutting it

Lately I feel so off the wagon. I'm enjoying my champagne too much which just makes me maintain my weight. When am I going to feel the push to go back to the gym and cut the drinks again? I'm complacent and I HATE it.