General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #1  

Exclamation Need help with what to do

I need help figuring out the best way to help me lose weight. I do not have a problem with over eating, under eating maybe I never eat breakfast and sometimes skip lunch. But no matter when I eat, I eat pretty healthy and I "eat like a bird" as my friends and family like to say. I also find working out to be an issue, I have 4 compression fractures in my spine (serious back pain with only the slightest excersions). My worst habit is caffiene. I have looked into some diet pills but all of them are caffiene based which does not work for me since all my drinks are loaded with it. I know this sounds crazy but is there something out there which will help my lose weight which will not be caffiene based and with me not being able to work out?
movingwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 154/143/132

Height: 5.9

How much weight are you looking to lose? You may want to actually count calories so you see exactly how much you are consuming every day. You may find that you are actually consuming at maintenance or even slightly more. If so, then the solution is simple - cut calories by a modest amount so you can begin to lose weight healthily. It is very possible to lose weight without exercise and many here have done so. Good luck!
Naama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #3  

If you are overweight then you are overeating in relation to your calorie expenditure. How much weight do you need to lose? Could you give us an example of a typical day eating for you?
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #4  

Welcome, movingwindow!

Sometimes, it's hard to tell what our average daily totals are. It might be worth checking out what the approximate caloric content is of an 'example' day of eating for you. I like nutritiondata.self.com for that, but fitness pal works as well. Just put in everything you ate yesterday, as an example, and see what the number is. Then, ask google what a healthy calorie total is for you (according to bodyweight and height). Is there a big difference?

If there is, that's your first stop; though I personally hate calorie counting everyday, it's worth figuring out what the values are for your favourite meals that you eat most often. Or, just use your hands as guides for portion control (palm protein, 2 fists veggie, 1/2 palm for starchy stuff, 1 thumb for treats).

It's also worth talking to a physio or fitness professional about movements that you CAN do without pain. Diet is said to be '80%' of fat loss, but exercise and activity always help, if possible.

Finally, allow me to caution you about any 'diet' pills out there; they're almost all stimulants. And if your lifestyle is out of balance, they're not going to do anything - 'fat burners' are most effective as a SUPPLEMENT once all the other factors are in place.

If your calories are in the right range for you, then you might like to explore other diet options. The 3FC forums (ie here) have a very supportive community, where everyone follows loads of different approaches. Explore a bit, experiment a bit, and see what works for you.

Good luck!

Last edited by Defining; 01-19-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote