General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:24 AM   #1  

Default any luck with slim fast

anyone had any luck with slim fast? I picked up some samples of the powder to try and see if I think I could stick it out and not just crave food after eating them. I haven't tried one yet, but my worries are that after drinking the chocolate powder or snacks I will just crave proper chocolate and that I will get bored of the shakes after a month or so and just end up eating all the food I missed in like a week and put all the weight back on. Are these things that have happened to people ? The idea of a proper meal , shakes and fruit and veg sounds like something I could do not like some of these other diets and the shakes aren't to expensive unlike making my own smoothies. Any experiences would be appreciate , sorry if I have posted in the wrong place or theres a posts about this somewhere else im new trying to find my way around still.
clare1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:17 AM   #2  

Height: 5'2"

I tried it a couple of times. After drinking a lame shake for a "meal", I would get so hungry that I HAD to eat something for real. So I ended up drinking a 300ish calorie shake and then still needing to eat breakfast. I gained weight on Slim Fast.
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:40 AM   #3  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I've used slim fast before with the simple diet. It's a bit more sustainable. Look it up if you really want to use slim fast
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #4  

Not being a morning person, I decided to try a meal replacement shake for breakfast on days when I was running late. I had the same experience as hellonurse. Slimfast shakes made me hungrier than if I had just skipped breakfast altogether. If the Slimfast works for you that's great. The skakes that actually filled me up for a few hours were Amazing Meal.
clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #5  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I was not a fan of Slimfast. I still felt hungry afterwards and I thought the plain chocolate/vanilla were disgusting. I saw that they started making some other flavors now though...

As far as shakes go, I've had good luck with drinking Ensure meal replacement shakes. My favorites are the Butter Pecan (which tastes like a milkshake) and the Strawberry flavor. They're 250 calories and have enough nutrients to be considered a meal.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

I lost 20 lbs once using Slim Fast but wouldn't do it now- the ingredients are disgusting. It works if you replace your meals with it because it's low calorie, but it's bad for you. You'd be better off going with a high quality protein powder instead, something not loaded with sugar.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #7  
Food and Wine Lover

S/C/G: Goal Weight: 125

Height: 5'3"

I tried it many years ago, but I found I was always starving after one of the shake "meals". I ended up snacking way too much so I gave it up. Same with using products like Boost for a meal replacement. It went down way too fast and left me unsatisfied.
Chardonnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #8  
300+ Chick

I was on Slim Fast back in 1990s....huge success I had with it..Had lost 150 Lbs and was almost at goal.but health issues happened and regained it all back. I was drinking 3 shakes a day and plenty of exercise...It did wonders...Good luck to you of your efforts!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I just looked on the slimfast web page for the ingredients in the powder mixes. The 2 largest ingredient is SUGAR. If I tried slimfast I would probably start binging within a day or 2.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/190/?

In high school I used Slim Fast and loved it. I lost weight and thought the drinks and bars were really yummy. Wanna know why I thought they were yummy? Look at the ingredients! They are all sugar!! It is horrible for you. There are so many other, healthier meal replacements available. Try Vega.
Missy789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/224.5/175

Height: 5' 6"

I have used Slim Fast a lot but found the Atkins shakes much higher in protein and lower in carbs so switched to them. The only problem is that after a couple months of drinking the shakes I get totally burned out on them to the point I almost can not even LOOK at them in the fridge. I also use the Atkins protein bars, again much higher in protein, and they are an easy meal replacement. I still crave "real food" for at least one meal a day though, but have totally given up fried food, fast food, and junk food. I try to keep my calories under 1200 (except for one day of 1500 a week) and my carbs around 100 to 120. I also try to get 60 grams of protein a day. I log all my food. I am not getting much exercise right now due to weather but hope to start walking on walking trails next month.
TNChunkyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

I used it as a jumpstart a long time ago and it worked pretty well. I knew going in I was only going to be on it for two weeks while I read up on a healthier, sustainable plan. It helped my mindset--I learned to be okay with being hungry and I did lose weight, which was motivating. By the time I started my long-term weight loss plan I was so sick of the shakes and bars that I was excited for healthier food!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 175/143/125

I did the SlimFast diet for almost a month. I lost about 1.5 pounds each week, which isn't bad at all for me. I also did cardio every day. I wasn't hungry on the SlimFast diet. I drank the morning shake very slowly, so it lasted, and I wasn't hungry. Ditto for the afternoon shake. The shakes are very tasty. After a month, however, the nagging thought that these shakes were probably not very healthy began to bother me. Also, I was tired of so much chocolate. I didn't enjoy the meal replacement bars at all.

Overall, I'd give the SlimFast diet a passing score. I was never hungry. But, the shakes grow tiring after a while. Once I reach my goal, I plan on incorporating the shakes into my long term diet. I see some value here, especially if you freeze the shakes and use them for a nice refreshing lunch on a hot summer day.
WeightGoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 246/201.2/150

Height: 5' 3"

I lost about 60 lbs back in college on slim fast and really liked it. I never really had free time, so being able to grab a shake and go was very convenient. I used the soy mix that you mixed with water (don't think they make it anymore ) I really liked it and wasn't hard, but it was really easy to mix up a shake between classes and sip it in class. I even got to the point that I craved the shakes.

I think it is definitely worth a try.
wvuchick is offline   Reply With Quote