I'm so Confused!!! HELP!

• I started the fake Nutrisystem diet on Monday (I Love This Diet).. but it's got so many carbs, I mean, a ton of them and I'm feeling really guilty about it for some reason.. I'm keeping my calories in check.. but I'm thinking no carb is best? So I have decided that once I get through all these frozen dinners I bought (grrrr), I want to go on Atkins, but I was watching the Dr Eric Westman - Duke University New Atkins Ketogenic Diet for Weight Loss and Health Video on YouTube and it made alot of sense and I want to do his way.. This morning I was reading a little bit about the Slow Carb Diet by Timothy Ferriss and now I'm mega confused on what I should do.. I don't think I can cut out my coffee and cream, so the Dr Westman way is great.. but then again, I LOVE beans, pinto beans, and having them in on the Timothy Diet sounds great.. omg.. what should I do? For my height, I am 75 pounds overweight, but I know I will never be that slim, I'm 50 and that will be too hard on me, so to be real, I think I would like to look at least 55 pounds, but if more come off, great. What should I do, I really need some advice/help!

Thanks so much!
    Pamela
    Pamela
  • The only thing I watch are my calories and it's been successful this far! It's all about calories in (food) and calories out (exercise). I know that sounds so simple but really, once I got a grip on my calories it's worked awesome. That being said, I do much better without carbs in my diet (bread, snacks, etc.). They cause cravings for more carbs.

Why not give it a try for whatever timeframe (2 weeks, a month, etc.) and see if you can lose just by watching calories. I have used myfitnesspal.com to monitor my calorie intake and exercise tracking and it was worth it's weight in gold (and it's free!).
  • It's so true.. the more carbs, the more you crave them... I need to get through at least 1 more week of this other diet.. I weigh in on Monday just to see what happened on this diet.. but I think I will do better on protein, low carb diet... I just don't know which one...
  • Pamela - elvislover is so right; calories in, calories out. Whenever you tell yourself you can NEVER have this, that or the other, you're setting yourself up for failure.

I've seen, read and heard so often that carbs make you crave more carbs that it must be true, and I also know that lots of people have had wonderful success with low carb diets. Apparently my body is completely different from most, as I just don't experience that. For example, I generally eat cheese toast for breakfast and it keeps me full for 6-8 hours. (I almost always eat my first meal mid-morning and then eat supper around 5:00 pm - I'm a two-meal a day person). I've tried low-carb more times than I can count and ultimately have to give it up because I feel hungry ALL THE TIME, even after sticking with it for long periods of time. I'm not a big sweets eater, I am not a pasta or rice eater, and most of the time I can even go without potatoes, but I HAVE to have some bread. And bread fills me up, even just a small amount. Just my crazy quirk, I guess.

If I were to ever "diet" again it would be calorie-counting; it's what I've had the most success with in the past and it gives me the freedom to eat anything I want (just not as much as I want). It's the easiest way to design a diet whereby you do not have to eliminate a favorite food.

I always ask people - "what is the one thing you eat (or drink) that you feel you can never, ever, ever give up for good?" And then work your diet around that item. My answer is always "black coffee" so obviously that's not a problem since there are no calories - but even with that there are some "diets" that tell you NO CAFFEINE!!! My other item is bread, pure and simple. I have to have some type of bread each and every day. I know that about myself. If I know I can have it, I can lose weight. Obviously I have to be reasonable about it (and about my other eating choices) but by not forbidding it in my diet then I don't obsess over it.

It may take a bit of experimentation to find what works best for you. I personally could never deal with Nutrisystem, but that's just me.

Good Luck!
  • Low calorie has its way of working out to be low carb. Say you are eating 1500 calories a day...after your meat, good fat, veggies and dairy there is little left for carbs! You don't need to follow someone else's "plan", invent your own obtainable plan! It's fun and exciting.
  • Thanks Ladies...
  • Quote: Low calorie has its way of working out to be low carb. Say you are eating 1500 calories a day...after your meat, good fat, veggies and dairy there is little left for carbs! You don't need to follow someone else's "plan", invent your own obtainable plan! It's fun and exciting.
    Lori I like that and it's so true and what keeps me sensible and on point makes me happy as long as I'm losing
  • Hi there,

I'm new. I actually started "I Love This Diet" after failing at "The Simple Diet" because it was so restrictive. I know that there's a lot of push back on packaged foods. However, I really need structure and a bit of help with "portion distortion". Additionally I don't enjoy cooking nor do I have time for it as a full time employee and grad student.

I am actually finding success following this program so far, I've lost 3 lbs week one and 1.5 lbs this past weigh in. There's also enough variety and a daily treat that I'm feeling satisfied.

Do I think it was worth the price? Yes and no. While I could have created my own frozen dinner plan, I don't think it would have been as nutritionally sound. However, I do think the $47 price point is over priced. Regardless of how they defend why it's so much.

I do eventually plan to ween off frozen foods. I'll still use them, just not for every lunch and dinner.

Take Care,
    Amanda
  • Use the plan that resonates. Unless you do intuitive eating, any diet will reuire giving up things you like--temporarily. You absolutely can get to your ideal weight--never too old!

As for calories in= calories out, that's a simplistic model that doesn't fit human beings very well. More useful in a laboratory. I suggest reading Robert Lustig's Fat Chance.

I lost 25, then 80 lbs age 55-59. Trust me when I say if I can do it, anyone can, lol! I knew intuitively that I had problems with carbs--the sugar-insulin roller coaster left me constantly hungry when I was at my highest weight. I a know that I cannot control myself with junk food, esp. sweets. So low carb has been a get-out-of-jail card for me. After the weight came off, i've gradually added back healthy carbs, watching to see how they affected my level of satiety, mood, weight. I'm still on this learning curve....Your physiology is unique to you so the poster who said to make your own plan is spot on. Best wishes on your journey!
  • Well we'll see.

I'm also younger (in my 30s) and never had a weight problem until about 3 years ago. I do believe age plays into what works for some and others not. Then again, my mom has never had a weight issue. And she always just ate everything in moderation. She's still a size 6 in her 60s...