General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #1  

Default Measurements/weighing

How often do you measure/weigh yourself?
I just took my first measurements today and i'm wondering when should I do it again?
Kirkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #2  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

For me it varies. Early on I wieghed myself everyday, mostly because it helped me see that fluctuations in weight were normal.

Now I weigh once a week and that works fine. I may even decrease it. The bottom line is to weigh yourself so you can keep track if you want, but not to let it make you crazy (scale-insanity is a common affliction for any dieter ).

I also measure once a month. Any sooner than that and there isn't a very big difference. I also take pictures when I measure and pair them with the measurements so I can see how I look as I shrink.

Hope that helped a bit. Good luck!
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #3  
Breathing.

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I weigh-in daily but only recommend doing that if you don't get upset over fluctuations.
I would take measurements every 4 or even 6 weeks.
Hoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I weigh daily, keeping in mind I can have huge flucuations daily. I measure no more than once every two weeks, but no longer than once every four.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiannaKole View Post
For me it varies. Early on I wieghed myself everyday, mostly because it helped me see that fluctuations in weight were normal.

Now I weigh once a week and that works fine. I may even decrease it. The bottom line is to weigh yourself so you can keep track if you want, but not to let it make you crazy (scale-insanity is a common affliction for any dieter ).

I also measure once a month. Any sooner than that and there isn't a very big difference. I also take pictures when I measure and pair them with the measurements so I can see how I look as I shrink.

Hope that helped a bit. Good luck!
Thanks for the info! I'm new to dieting, how big can fluctuations be and what is happening to my body during these fluctuations?
Kirkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

You are retaining water, usually. My fluncuations can range from +/- 3 pounds. Usually it is closer to .2 pounds, but I can have pretty massive swings from time to time. Remember, the scale ultimately isn't the best way to track fat loss, measuring is. A scale can not account for only fat loss, as you lose weight, it could be bone loss, muscle loss, water loss, and fat loss. Measuring on the other hand tells you a better estimate of your true fat loss. And as we lose weight, we really only want fat loss anyways
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I weigh myself twice a week. On Monday mornings and I write it down in my journal. And on Thursdays, which I do not write down, it's informal. Those are the only days I weigh myself.

I take measurements on the first Monday of the month and write it down. No more than that.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 187/152/135

I weigh myself daily. It's the only way I can keep on track. Like the others said though, you cannot take anything negative personally. If you do, then I would suggest only weekly weigh-ins. For me, it just adds consistency if I weigh daily. I also do my body fat once a month.
BrooklynM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #9  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

I weigh myself daily, but I'm about to cut back. It was a great thing to do at first, but I definitely have scale driven insanity these days and it's not healthy.

I take my measurements about every two weeks. You won't see much change more frequently than that, and eve at every two weeks I don't see a change in all of my measurements. Keep in mind that until you get the hang of taking consistent measurements, you might see things go up and done in strange ways ... that's not you, it's just learning to hit the same spot each time. Definitely take your measurements your first day, though. Some people don't get into measurements until they've lost a fair amount of weight and then they regret not knowing where they started (ok, that was me, the last time I dieted).

The main thing is to figure out what is best for you. If daily weigh ins keep you motivated then great! If they discourage you, then once a week ... or less. Same thing with measurements.

And if you start feeling crazy, don't be afraid to switch it up.

Good luck!
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:33 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I weigh myself daily. I've gone back and forth between weekly and daily but my mind is now in a good place where I'm okay and understand the daily fluctuations. It's amazing what some extra sodium or an ibuprofen will do to the scale!

As for measurements, I do them every 4 weeks. I feel like anything less than that won't show a big enough change.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #11  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I weigh myself daily (first thing after using the bathroom) and I measure myself monthly.

I've had fluctuations of up to +/- 2 pounds in a day. You just need to remember that the highs are normal because your body retains water for numerous reasons.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote