General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #61  
Funky

S/C/G: 238/223.5/200

Height: 5'3"

FickleHearts. I count on feast days. 1200-1500 is all I allow. The idea is to count up for the week and have calorie average for the week. I use MyFitnessPal to keep track. I have only been doing it for 8 weeks so I am new at this too. It is working and it does get easier. I sometimes do a 3:4 of 700-800 calories. And it works the same. I try to do an eating window too. 12:00 to 5:30. But I have a banana in the morning. I know it is not true IF but I get faint if I do not have something in the morning.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #62  
Funky

ShrinkingStudent. Congrats on the move. Getting back on track is harder than just staying on track. Hope you back to losing soon.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 195/181/155

Height: 5'8"

Subscribed. I'm new to IF, trying alternate days now and it seems do-able while avoiding the daily endless deprivation of most "diets". Look forward to all your ideas to making this work as a lifestyle. My body just doesn't need that many calories, it seems
Old 12-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 163/154/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoseToAll View Post
ShrinkingStudent. Congrats on the move. Getting back on track is harder than just staying on track. Hope you back to losing soon.
That is the truth!! This week I tried having a bit of lean meat throughout the day and eating LC in the evening and now I am up a lb. So back to my IF window!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorpie View Post
Subscribed. I'm new to IF, trying alternate days now and it seems do-able while avoiding the daily endless deprivation of most "diets". Look forward to all your ideas to making this work as a lifestyle. My body just doesn't need that many calories, it seems
Let us know how this goes for you. Are you having a certain number of cals on alternate days? I know what you mean...my body doesn't need as many cals as I want it to need

Back to IF window of 3:30-8:30. Reminding myself to stop trying to fix what isn't broken!!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #65  

Height: 5'4"

Yikes! I just checked my old posts and I haven't been on 3 fat chicks since 2008! I am starting alternate day intermittent fasting today and confident this will work. I also avoid gluten and dairy, but that's another story.

For anyone interested I have a book on order by the premier researcher Dr. Krista Varady, titled The Every Other Day Diet. If you go into amazon, you can actually search the book. It sounds perfect for me. I am also ordering another one called The Alternate Day Diet, Revised by Dr. Johnson. I flirted with 5:2 and it kind of worked, but I'm reading fasting every other day really regulates your appetite, and I need that. I was starving on my 5:2 fasting days.

Right now I'm reading a little book I got off amazon for less than $7 which is awesome titled "Easy Alternate Day Fasting" By Beth Christian. This little book sums up everything you need to get started on alternate day fasting and I now consider it my little diet Bible.

Sorry to babble on and on about the books, but this time around I'm serious about fasting and getting healthier, and I'm glad there's an intermittent fasting forum here!

Last edited by marigolds; 12-13-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #66  

S/C/G: see ticker (in kg)

Height: 6' 3"

So it turns out that spending all of Friday helping my brother move house while fasted and a good few hours of Saturday walking around a big city shopping center fasted helped stabilize that weight back down, down 0.5kg since since a week ago.

Just started back up some exercise today and the old raceway by me has some nice hills and scenery so it should make for a good hour of exercise a day, although the 50 degree incline quarter mile hill to get back home is a "great" way to end haha. Also the area has a bunch of mountain paths that would be atleast a 30 degree incline so i may venture up them every now and then.

Also thought i would leave my NSV from my shopping here, managed to buy myself a few pairs of shorts in size 36" waist and Large shirts. Not sure what size waist i started at as all my old clothes are at home but i can remember having size 46" and possible 48" at some time, shirts i know that i started as a 3XL so this is like mind blowing when i think about it.

Last edited by ShrinkingStudent; 12-14-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #67  
Funky

Down another pound today. Yippee. This 5:2 is working. I am also doing a fasting window from 12:00-5:30, except for a banana in the morning. I have to have that or I get faint.

Did a 4:3 last week. Mon, Tue, and Thur. 600-700 calories and I am down 3.5 lbs. I was in the zone. I hope this week goes as well.

ShrinkingStudent awesome on the exercise. Nice you have a new place to run and the 36's is an inspiration. I am happy for you.

Marigold I am glad you found your IF solution. Do you totally not eat on your fast days?

Jaob. Good for you getting back on the IF wagon. Hope you have a lose soon.

Alligatorpie. Welcome. IF is worth it. I have been doing it for 8 weeks and it is amazing.

Have a great rest of the weekend.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:55 AM   #68  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Quote:
1200-1500 is all I allow. The idea is to count up for the week and have calorie average for the week. I use MyFitnessPal to keep track. I have only been doing it for 8 weeks so I am new at this too. It is working and it does get easier. I sometimes do a 3:4 of 700-800 calories. And it works the same.
This sounds like me when I am doing 5:2! I have a very active job and up from 500 to 800 with eating windows. I also tried to aim for about 1800-2000, rare over 2000. But it meant I could have waffle house occasionally and not worry. Although when I am in the groove I would have some days of just 1400 by accident. I can already tell my eating windows are having effect cause I couldn't finish everything at dinner that I logged. This was happening the last time that I was fasting and staying true to my eating windows.

I am probably going to start into 5:2 this week. I have been doing just eating windows lately. Even staying under my calories has helped me stay the same/lose, so far so good.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #69  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaob View Post

Let us know how this goes for you. Are you having a certain number of cals on alternate days? I know what you mean...my body doesn't need as many cals as I want it to need
Will do! Seems like a lot of people are finding this works so I am hopeful it will for me too. I read somewhere about a person who limits it to 200 calories on fasting day so that's kind of what I've been following - it allows for a bit of milk in my coffee and a cup of homemade broth if I'm feeling hungry. But I'm open to ideas so thats why its so great to read about what other people are doing...I see you are trying out different things too
Old 12-17-2013, 02:49 AM   #70  

I was browsing the selection of this one supplement store yesterday (myprotein.com). Their MCT powder, by the way, is excellent for those who are fasting. The medium-chain triglycerides are quickly converted into energy, but since it's just fat, it's not going to kick you out of the fasted state. At least that is my understanding. I mix the powder to my coffee (or rather, I stir the coffee into the powder in my cup so that it dissolves better) and it ends up tasting just like a coffee with a creamer.

Anyhoo, I was browsing the selection and came across vitamin b5 (pantothenic acid). Apparently it's great for people with acne. Well, I don't have acne, so I was doing some googling whether it would be good for other skin types, like aging skin. By accident, I found out about this theory that ketosis would actually be the result of lacking in vitamin b5 and that supplementing with it would make caloric restriction and fasting easier. Now, fasting is already rather easy for me, but I'm still really intrigued. I've tried googling for more info, but there really isn't any. It's kind of surprising as fasting is so popular these days. So I thought I'd give it a try and see if it makes any difference! :-)

I'm not sure if I'll be ordering it soon or in a month or so, so it'll be a while before I get to test it, but in case anyone comes across any info on it, I'd love to hear about it!

P.S. So nice to see all you doing so well!

EDIT: I looked more into that vitamin b5 claim and the theory doesn't seem to be that credible. That's probably why I couldn't find that much about it :-)

Last edited by SparklyBunny; 12-17-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #71  
Hooping my Life Away

Started my 5:2 this week. First :2 wasn't SUPER successful. I seem to have rounded out at 1100 (enough for mfp to yell at me). That's still 1000 less than normal and I've been sticking to under or at my goal on mfp which has resulted in losses. So not bad? I really wanted that chex mix that has been in my bag for days and I didn't know the calories/portion (I guessed 2 cups chex mix).
Old 12-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #72  

Doing OK fasting alternate days but now I'm finding I need a better plan for my non-fast days. I wake up HUNGRY! I really don't want to live on salads and vegetables on non-fast days, but realize I can't go overboard either - which is easy to do if not paying attention. Eventually I'll figure it out
Old 12-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #73  

And I've found the reason why my weightloss has slowed down, my BMR is now lower than the average adult intake that is advertised around Australia. My new BMR is about 1911 kcal, so no more losing much weight by food calorie deficit .

I'm still going to stick to 6-8 hour eating window when i can over the hollidays and keep getting my 3 days exercise in a week, i went for a walk yesterday and figured i might as well jog sometime and run too which was great as I was actually able to run a fair distance in the extreme heat that was going on. My legs are definitely having a hard time getting used to me running but they will get better, the quarter mile hill on a 30 degree incline is a killer to go up going home though as my legs where dead.

Last edited by ShrinkingStudent; 12-19-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:18 AM   #74  
Hooping my Life Away

Ever get to the point where you eat late into your eating window, make a fantastic meal and still not hungry by the last hour of your eating window? But this week I am officially 227.8. Yay!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #75  

I kind of have that problem that's why i am 6-8 hour window so if i don't feel hungry in time for the 6 hour mark i'll wait to the 8 hours. Although i was pushing it yesterday when i was late to get lunch then made great burgers for dinner and felt way to full.
Closed Thread