General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #451  

S/C/G: 246/201.2/150

Height: 5' 3"

Juicing isn't fasting since you would still be getting calories. We don't consume any calories for a certain amount of time. Some do the 5:2 diet, where you only eat 500 calories 2 days a week

I fast 19 hours a day and eat in a 5 hour window frame. It is called fast 5.

lightenup: I too had some issues with weight fluctuation this long weekend. I am hoping to get back to my low of 219.6 very soon. Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #452  
Excavation in Progress

S/C/G: 215/*ticker*/135

Height: 5' nothing

Hi all,

Been away on vacay for a month, so fell off the board. Did lose a lot of weight though. It was nice not having to explain myself constantly about why I'm not eating as we were so busy nobody noticed. I'm a natural IF'er on WW and eat in a 4 hr window at about 4p. Just better for my digestion and I don't feel weighted down during the day.

Does anyone else battle flack for this woe? I feel like I'm constantly defending myself until I get to this board. sigh.

Happy Anniversary lightenup!
Old 06-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #453  

S/C/G: 203/197/145

Height: 5'5"

Wvuchick and lightenup I also gained again this week. But I can't say I don't know why. I guess the gain from the previous week did have a mental toll so I did find myself binging my sorrows away. Oh well, I am back this week and will be doing 16/8 to see if I can put a stop to the binging and slowly work my way back toward fast 5 or 5/2.

Archychick, I constantly have to explain myself and listen to people tell me why I shouldn't starve myself.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #454  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Hi all! Just got back from a week on vacation. I had decided to take a diet break during vacation and the week after. So far it is going well, but now that I am home I'll be happy to eat fresh food even if I'm not fasting. I'm only up about two pounds but I'm guessing its a lot of water weight...my muscles are sore from so much hiking And with all the eating out and packaged camping food, I bet I have had a months worth of sodium. We did skip meals when we weren't hungry and did a lot of activity, so I had no reason to be worried about going overboard.

So my plan for this coming week is to not do 5:2, but mostly adhere to an eating window during the week (probably a smoothie for lunch and something homemade for dinner) and then next week I'll transition back to 5:2 and my normal routine. I haven't had any spells of light headedness, so hopefully my body is adjusting and getting a well needed break.

Archy, that doesn't surprise me, but what and when you eat is none of their business. Just keep on keeping on.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #455  
yogini99

S/C/G: 137/125/123

Height: 5'6"

Hi Everyone!
Back at it today, fasting but I am STARVING today. I think it's because I exercised a lot this weekend. I didn't make it til 5 to eat dinner, but I ate early instead. Hoping to not eat anymore today, but we'll see!
Sounds like you all made it through vacations and whatnot really well! Great job!
I agree with NoName regarding people nosing in with opinions about how we eat--none of their beeswax
Old 06-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #456  
16/8

S/C/G: 153/151.8/133

I don't know how much reading you all do regarding IF, but lately I've been reading articles that mention that IF may not work as well for women as it does for men. It seems like maybe it's a certain subset of women, but seems to have a hormonal aspect to it. I will say that I had a more difficult time the first time I did IF, and I wonder now if it was due to my lower weight when I began IF. This time I started my weight loss journey with IF so my weight is quite a bit higher, and I have more body fat. I did seem to have more of a problem with overeating that first time I did IF, but at the same time I had been counting calories for 2-3 months so maybe I was just burned out on dieting at that point. I'm just having such an easier time with it now that I wonder if at some point it will turn, and IF won't work for me. I certainly hope not, as I'd love to do this long-term. I should note, too, that before, I was trying all different methods of IF, including one 36-hr fast. After that longer fast the overeating seemed to get worse. So maybe this Fast-5 everyday is just better for me overall?

I've also read about increased cortisol levels, adrenal fatigue, etc. Ugh, I hope not!
Old 06-23-2014, 10:48 PM   #457  
16/8

Sha-Mac--I understand the emotional toll of a weight gain. I was totally expecting this from eating out Thursday, and I figured it would go back down. But it was still a bummer to weigh myself on those days when the scale had gone up. I considered it an experiment (I'm a scientist after all), so now I know what happens when I go out to eat! I also realized that I lost 4 days of potential weight loss, and that stinks. On maintenance, maybe not such a big deal, but when you've been losing it's a downer for sure. But we can pick right up where we were and get back to losing! Let's do it!! ;-)

noname--I'm happy to hear your trip went well. I'm jealous--I read some of your blog, or maybe another thread, and you went backpacking in CO! DH and I did several backpacking trips back before kids, and we haven't had a chance to do it again since. But some day... Anyway, congrats on not gaining much after a week off IF.

I haven't had much issue with people regarding my eating, mostly because I work from home. My one coworker I do have to work with once or twice a week just hasn't noticed or hasn't said anything. Family knows my eating can be "out there" sometimes (at least to them), as I've been vegetarian and vegan at times, as well as having done 2-4 day water fasts in the past. So I don't get much flack from them. But I'd say that if I did, there is now a lot of info out there regarding fasting being good for you, that I think you could direct them to look it up. There have been news stories (ABC Nightline, Good Morning America), documentaries touting IF as being good for your health, as well as some high-profile doctors and nutritionists that approve (Dr. Weil for instance--http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-weil-md/fasting-health_b_1557043.html). Me being a scientist in the health field, I myself would probably begin listing these as growing evidence that fasting is what is good, and conventional wisdom, not so good. So while, yes, I'd agree it's really none of their business, on the other hand, you might find that you can contribute to someone else's decision to try IF!!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #458  

archychick - Welcome back. I don't get too much flack for IF. When they first hear about it they say all the usual things, won't you go into starvation mode, I could never do that, I would get lightheaded and pass out, etc. I just tell them there is actually a lot of information out there on the benefits of IF and that starvation mode is a myth and offer to send them the info. Usually I get oh no that's ok and they drop it. My boss is actually now looking into it after me telling him about it.

noname - I hope your trip was wonderful. Good luck on getting back on track. I know you'll do great!

Yogini - I occasionally have problems with hunger but I just shut up my stomach with water and forget it. Just stick to your plan the hunger with pass.

lightenup - I think most articles out there are not necessarily for weight loss. Most men seem to do it to bulk up and get cut. I have found a few about weight loss, but the study is so far from what I do I don't see any benefit in it. If you find anything good about Fast 5 for weight loss I would love to read it.

I am having a good day. I weighed in at 219.4 today. Hoping the new decade sticks, just not for two long. I've got Onederland in my crosshairs and aim to get there sooner than originally planned.

Have a great Tuesday everyone.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #459  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Down 7 pounds since starting my 16/8 fast. I'm loving it and not finding it difficult at all. Having trouble getting on the boards due to my wonky internet though.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #460  
16/8

lotsakids--7 lbs is awesome! Congrats!!

wvuchick--you too! The next decade (downward!) is so motivating to reach.

I keep getting soooo close, but the 140s are eluding me for now. I've been at 150.0 twice but haven't budged in almost a week. I'm telling myself that by doing all the workouts I'm doing that I must be building muscle, which weighs more than fat. That's it, right?? ;-)
Old 06-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #461  

lightenup - My weight loss seems to have slow down significantly and is bobbing around which is really annoying. I was up 0.2 lbs. which is negligible but really doesn't make sense.

As long as we keep the faith knowing that if we stay on this path, we will get there eventually.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #462  
Call me NNS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightenup2014 View Post
I keep getting soooo close, but the 140s are eluding me for now. I've been at 150.0 twice but haven't budged in almost a week. I'm telling myself that by doing all the workouts I'm doing that I must be building muscle, which weighs more than fat. That's it, right?? ;-)
It actually probably IS related to the workout, though most likely fluid retention as your body isn't used to working all those muscles and needs the fluid to repair them. It will balance out in a few weeks In fact, it's awesome that your weight hasn't gone up! I'm sure you'll see the 140s soon.

---

Two weeks ago I finally took a new measurement at my belly button since my other ones weren't very accurate and I know I pulled the tape measurer too tight when I first did my measurements. So I was more careful with this one, and I'm already down an inch. Neat! I still find it very hard to get an accurate read. Between the scale and how my clothes fit, I definitely have a good feel for if I'm losing, but it's still nice to see the number on the tape measurer.

(Also, I don't miss fasting yet LOL I feel like a fraud posting here during my break but hopefully it will keep me in check and force me back into it when the break is over! 5 more days)
Old 06-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #463  
16/8

All right, how are you ladies getting those smileys to come up?? I can't find it anywhere!

wvuchick--That's right, I figure the general trend is downward, and I'm definitely eating less, and eating healthier foods than before. And also working out more--well, actually working out! I think I had been in a slump after some life events earlier this year, so I'm definitely on the right track and loving Fast 5. I figure if I can continue with the calorie deficit then by the end of the year MAYBE I can be where I want to be. I have to remember to be patient! Last time I lost 20 lbs and had a deadline, but after the deadline was over I sort of lost my fasting/dieting mojo. This time it's really more for life, and I don't really have a definite timeline or even weight goal. Just LOWER! Anyway, as far as fluctuations, I guess water does play a big role--just 8 oz of water retained (or recently drank) would be .5 lbs, right? But yeah, I don't understand the ups and downs, just have to not get discouraged and it will happen.

noname--I keep wondering--is that you behind the mask? That's great that you're seeing inches lost. I guess that measurement doesn't fluctuate as much as weight on the scale? That's funny that you're not missing fasting. Do you think it has helped you during this time that you're not fasting?

So, I finally hit 149.8 this morning--why is that number so important, it's only .2 lbs!! I also did some reading about muscle vs fat and I guess you can definitely see inches lost without seeing much weight loss for a bit. I haven't been measuring inches but maybe I should start.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #464  
Call me NNS!

lightenup - yep, that is me! It's a picture from a masquerade party a couple years ago. I wrote more about my diet break in another thread if you're interested, but yes I think it is helping. I was having spells of lightheadedness and fatigue and I think the break is helping me to get used to my weight loss and it's been a great psychological break as well. I think my body really needed the rest. I haven't taken a break, planned or not, from dieting since Christmas.

Definitely start measuring! It's a nice addition to all the other kinds of measurements. Congrats on the 140s
Old 06-26-2014, 09:36 PM   #465  
yogini99

S/C/G: 137/125/123

Lighten up- yay for the 140's!!! Great job!!
NoName- hilarious you said you feel like a "fraud" posting here since you're on a fasting break! I am glad you are enjoying the break - so impt for mental health.
Great about losing the inch- I also find it hard to measure stomach accurately. How much do you let it all out. We all can make ourselves look pregnant if we want to...even without pushing our stomachs out hard.
Lotsakids- congratulations on 7 lbs lost- way to go!

Last edited by Yogini99; 06-26-2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread