3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Intermittent Fasting Support Thread (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/289562-intermittent-fasting-support-thread.html)

shr1nk1ngme 04-01-2014 10:52 AM

I do a form of ADF called Johnson's Up Day Down Day Diet, or JUDDD. You can Google it. I have found it to be amazingly effective for me; but I do it in combination with my other WOE's, too. That is to say, I eat low-carb, I am a vegetarian, and I also practice eating windows (I don't eat before 2-3 PM). All in all, my weight loss is pretty consistent and I love that I get to be more indulgent every other day or so.

berryblondeboys 04-04-2014 10:01 PM

I kind of accidentally ate this way the last two days. I was running errands all day and didn't get to eating until dinner. It was remarkably easy, but man is my stomach way full. I ate a humongous salad. Gee whiz,,, how long does it take to digest?

Not sure if I'm going to continue eating this way, but it would be easier with my family unlike what I was doing before where oftentimes I was done eating before they had dinner. I just couldn't hold out!

And how did I go from feeling so full to feeling hunger pangs? Weird!

yoyoma 04-05-2014 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berryblondeboys (Post 4977794)
I kind of accidentally ate this way the last two days. I was running errands all day and didn't get to eating until dinner. It was remarkably easy, but man is my stomach way full. I ate a humongous salad. Gee whiz,,, how long does it take to digest?

Not sure if I'm going to continue eating this way, but it would be easier with my family unlike what I was doing before where oftentimes I was done eating before they had dinner. I just couldn't hold out!

And how did I go from feeling so full to feeling hunger pangs? Weird!

I think you are saying you ate so much salad that you felt overstuffed, but then you had hunger pangs soon after (possibly while still feeling stuffed).

If I understood you correctly, I totally know what you are talking about. Our hunger signals are complex and come from a variety of source, a full stomach just being one of them. I will start my meal with fresh fruits and/or veggies because they are high-volume and will help fill me up without a lot of calories. But I avoid completely filling up on them. At or near the beginning of the meal, I also start eating some healthy fat. For me, that usually means something like EVOO on salad, goat cheese with red pepper strips, a half avacodo, and/or some raw nuts. In addition to being healthy, a good dollop of healthy fats will help other hunger cues.

After the raw course, I almost always eat freely of some cooked meat/fish/egg/tofu and veg dish. I find protein is another good food for helping with hunger cues.

Now, here's the trickiest part for me. Even with plenty of volume, healthy fats, and protein, I still often feel something is missing. I call it "toothsomeness" and to me that box is checked with a small serving of whole grain, legume, winter squash, etc (some unprocessed whole starchy carb). Like I said, this is the tricky part, because if I eat too much of it, I find it triggers my hunger instead of satisfying it. Your mileage may vary. I usually mix this with or alongside the meat/veg dish. I don't always have it, but I usually try to eat some small serving.

I have a daily eating window of 6PM - 8:30 PM. This allows me to eat my big meal at 6:00 and know that I can come back later and eat more. And sometimes I do, but most often not. But just knowing that I could come back and eat more later helps keep me from over-stuffing myself (usually).

Good luck, BBB. I hope you find an approach that works for you!

berryblondeboys 04-05-2014 08:31 AM

Well, my salad was a meal in itself - spring greens, red pepper, sugar snap peas,almond slices, cut up apple, a bit of bacon, hard boiled egg, a few dried cranberries, avocado, olive oil and red wine vinegar and then pork apple sausage cut up into it. Plenty of fats and veggies.

I've been craving salads big time the last week or so - must mean it is finally spring!

CoolMom75 04-05-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berryblondeboys (Post 4977941)
Well, my salad was a meal in itself - spring greens, red pepper, sugar snap peas,almond slices, cut up apple, a bit of bacon, hard boiled egg, a few dried cranberries, avocado, olive oil and red wine vinegar and then pork apple sausage cut up into it. Plenty of fats and veggies.

I've been craving salads big time the last week or so - must mean it is finally spring!

You're making me want a salad next. Yum! I burned myself out with weeks of salads and switched over to roasted veggies. I roast all different kinds and sauté the leafy greens, put in a bowl with a sprinkle of feta and some meat if I have it, or an egg, or canned meat. But then I have lettuce in the fridge getting ignored (i get a weekly produce delivery). I did read someone sautéed lettuce and had never considered that before!

lin43 04-05-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Health Nut (Post 4973172)
Before I post a new thread, I thought I'd try here first! A lot of you are doing 5:2 diet, but have any of you attempted the alternate day fasting? I heard it's better and faster, and possibly easier to follow. The basic idea is that you eat very little calories on one day (not true fasting! But like, 350 calories for women)-- and then you eat your maintenance calories or normally the next day (most people don't count calories.. and I am not planning to. I'll just eat what I eat normally when I eat healthy stuff.)
You repeat this pattern till you lose all the weight. Anyone?

I "heard" of someone who attempted this diet and managed to lose 30 pounds in two months. I was so impressed. Just wanted to see if this was at all possible. I don't think I'll be able to lose that much, obviously, but does it work? Seems too good to be true that I could be eating burgers 4 times a week and still lose weight! Ha.

Someone else had posted this same question a few weeks ago (try clicking a few pages back) and received a couple of responses (mine being one of them). In short, though, here's my experience (YMMV): I tried it, and it was great for the first week, but those Down Days really get old by week two or three. I REALLY started dreading them. Think about it: With only 350-500 calories on each Down Day, you really might as well say you're eating one small meal per DD. That became very difficult to sustain. Like any other plan, the weight loss was most significant the first week (I think I lost 5 lbs or something like that). Then, it slowed dramatically. At the time I was doing it (several years ago), I was part of a forum of other people who were doing it, and I noticed that over time, the weight loss slowed significantly or stopped for many of the posters (not all, though; some consistently lost). The reason for this may be that some people seemed to be overeating on Up Days. IMHO, unless you have at least a rough idea of how many calories you're eating, even on Up Days, there's a danger of overeating on Up Days and undoing all the hard work of Down Days. Also, as you can see from someone who posted an answer to your question above, experiences vary. It wouldn't hurt to give it a try and see how it goes.

I don't do IF, but if I did, the only way I would do it is to eat two meals a day: a late breakfast / early lunch and dinner. That seems more doable to me than other methods I've seen (but to each her own). Try looking back a few pages, and you'll see that conversation.

lin43 04-05-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolMom75 (Post 4978100)
You're making me want a salad next. Yum! I burned myself out with weeks of salads and switched over to roasted veggies. I roast all different kinds and sauté the leafy greens, put in a bowl with a sprinkle of feta and some meat if I have it, or an egg, or canned meat. But then I have lettuce in the fridge getting ignored (i get a weekly produce delivery). I did read someone sautéed lettuce and had never considered that before!

Me, too! I was reading BerryBlondie's salad and salivating. Then, your post about roasting veggies reminded me of something I do with salads: I preheat a cast iron skillet for about ten minutes in my broiler, spray some olive oil on cut up red peppers, lightly steamed string beans, and shitake mushrooms, and broil those until the green beans and peppers get a bit of char on them. I then toss those into my salad. I really love the contrast of flavors between those broiled veggies and the fresh veggies.

berryblondeboys 04-05-2014 03:19 PM

I love roasted veggies too. Eating enough fat and veggies has never been a problem. It's avoiding the carbs that has been.

YumaDeb 04-07-2014 06:56 PM

Getting enough veggies and fat is not a problem for me either. I love salads and steamed or roasted veggies. The form of IF that I follow is two meals a day. I eat my larger meal for lunch and a small meal for dinner. My weight loss coach is advising me against IF and encouraging me to eat small protein meals every 3 hours to keep my blood sugar stable and metabolism up. It is worth trying for a few weeks.

CoolMom75 04-07-2014 11:35 PM

I'm currently on the fence with IF. It doesn't seem like the sustainable way of eating I thought it was in the beginning. Maybe because I'm more active, weightlifting and some cardio. It did get me started though!

ElizabethLC 04-09-2014 09:35 AM

Hi all, I'm currently on Day 5 of my own little "Intro to IF" challenge. I have never tried it before and thought I would give it a shot for a short amount of time first and then see if it agreed with me or not. :) So, trying it for about 12 days and then assessing how I felt throughout.

coffeebrain1953 04-09-2014 02:34 PM

Good morning everyone. I started the Every Other Day Diet today. I really believe intermittent fasting will finally get this weight off. I tried the 8 Hour Diet, and I actually gained weight on it! I did lose weight following 5:2 last year. I'm hopeful that EOD will work just a bit faster.

archychick 04-10-2014 01:56 PM

Hi all,

Been having a really rough couple of weeks. Fell off my WW plan just a little, but keeping to my IF schedule has really helped I think. I know that I don't feel sluggish like I do when I eat during the day. So, good report here.

Sending everyone good vibes --------------->

rockieroad55 04-11-2014 08:53 AM

Hello everyone,. I've just started here and I've done a few different things in the last year to try to get my WL going.. I started out eating one meal a day with carbs included, but found out early that I couldn't hold enough food at one meal to sustain me. .so, I tried IF by going every other day with 500 cals.,, that was a real challenge because of the hunger I would feel on the down days. .I did make an important discovery about myself tho, I found that if I would do the alternate day thing and use protein on the down days, my appetite started to diminish. . I soon carried that idea over to the up days, by limiting my carbs and choosing better carbs such as veggies. .I feel pretty good doing it , most days, and have recently added some bulletproof coffee drinks to keep calories lower. . I'm trying to watch how my body responds and I feel I've found something I can do, I've lost about 18 lbs in the last few months, so that has encouraged me, the biggest help has been that my appetite and cravings have diminished greatly.. I use down days to kind of experiment with some things, I've recently read a couple of books by Jennifer Jolan that offer some 1 day type things that have helped, also.

wvuchick 04-22-2014 10:23 AM

Hello all! I am jumping back on the IF bandwagon. Last year I did ESE for awhile. Had great results, but fell off the wagon. I kind of stumbled into Fast 5 recently and so far it is great.

I have been fasting 14 hours a day for about a month now, a couple weeks ago I decided I was tired about worrying about coming up with something to eat for lunch everyday. So I just decided to skip it. I have since found out that I am doing Fast 5. Actually more like fast 3 and a half. :)

I found it much easier with my lifestyle to do Fast 5. So I am now on day 9 and I love it. I am not nearly as hungry through the day as if I had eaten breakfast and lunch.

I find if I'm not allowed to eat at all (during a certain time) I have much more willpower. E.g. a going away party at work where I turned down some very delicious looking pineapple upsidedown cake. :)

Looking forward to getting to know you all.