General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Water intake and running to the bathroom

My husband and I are buckling down on our water intake. The recommended amount for women is 2.2liters a day and that's just for someone with moderate activity. My observations conclude that I only drink 1liter of water a day, plus a cup of coffee plus a cup of tea. Not quite enough. So I've been increasing drinking water but have found that I'm constantly running to the bathroom. And waking up at night to go to the bathroom even more so than I did before.

Those who have successfully integrated more water into their days, what kind of benefits have you reaped from it? And has your body gotten used to the water intake and go to the bathroom less?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Your body will acclimate and soon you will be going to the bathroom much, much less often. Your body becomes efficient with your new water intake and will use the water instead of "getting rid" of it so quickly.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I like water, a lot. I always have. I go to the bathroom probably 10 times per day or so.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 284/See Ticker/170

Height: 5'9"

For me it typically takes a 3-4 days after committing to 8 glasses a day to stop having to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes. I try to make sure it's all done by 7pm so I can sleep through the night.

For me I just feel better. It makes exercising easier, and when I eat something processed when we go out to eat that is low in calories but high in sodium, I don't see my weight balloon.
VikingBride2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #5  

I drink about 3 liters of water daily, sometimes more. Your body doesn't get used to it- that water has to go somewhere. You get used to going to the bathroom, though. Health experts say that you should aim for your urine to be almost entirely clear when you go. I've not reached that point, but I have made peace with going to the bathroom a lot. Makes the work day fly by.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I drink about 3 liters of water daily, sometimes more. Your body doesn't get used to it- that water has to go somewhere. You get used to going to the bathroom, though. Health experts say that you should aim for your urine to be almost entirely clear when you go. I've not reached that point, but I have made peace with going to the bathroom a lot. Makes the work day fly by.
Lol that's good I guess, going to the bathroom does mean getting up and walking more. There's a positive to everything I guess. Thanks for the responses everyone.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #7  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

American who never got the hang of the metric system here

I drink anywhere from a half gallon to a gallon plus of water a day (old habit from weight training and it's really all I drink). I actually feel kind of dehydrated and headachey if I drink less. I still pee about once an hour on the hour during the day, what are you gonna do? What I've noticed is that I have to watch my salt intake during the day (as in, not too much) or I'm up multiple times at night. The other thing is I make sure I have my last big glass of water (the one I take my vitamins with) at least a full hour before I intend to be asleep.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 212/156/145

Height: 5' 4"

I drink a LOT of water and some days I just retain more and go less and other day I still go a lot. I just keep refilling and I'm not really counting so maybe on THOSE days, I've just had more. I dunno. Other than knowing I'm flushing out toxins, I can't say exactly what tangible benefits I've gotten from it but I don't think that's the point. I know it's needed so that's it.
Mad Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #9  

What I've noticed is that my joints feel better when I drink more. I have to walk a lot for the commute to my job and my ankles hurt at the end of the day. Drinking water helps my joints move more smoothly and results in less pain.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 345/see tracker/200

Height: 5'7"

I drink probably over 3 liters of water a day as well (little less than a gallon). I do pee a lot but it has gotten better. I definitely notice a difference when I don't drink as much water on certain days as others (I travel for work and on those days I tend to drink less for convenience sake). I notice I'm more tired, hungry, and not as focused. My contacts also get really dry.

Drinking water has also definitely helped improve my skin-both in appearance and elasticity as well.
NYFLAgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #11  
Food and Wine Lover

S/C/G: Goal Weight: 125

Height: 5'3"

I drink at least 2 liters of pure water a day (i.e. not in teas etc)...I'm always peeing...and I've been doing this for years now, my body never got used to not peeing every hour or two. The downfall for me is getting up in the middle of the night! Or if I'm lucky, a full night's sleep but a very full bladder upon waking.

Of course the benefits outweigh that little problem. When I'm dehydrated, I'm prone to urinary tract infections, digestive problems, irritability, headaches and also dizzy spells. So drinking all the water has eliminated most of those effectively. I've noticed my skin is clearer and my hair looks nicer...my nails are stronger too. I digest very well and my overall energy is better.
Chardonnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:01 AM   #12  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

even without drinking large amounts of water, I get up every hour and a half at night to go pee....almost exactly 1.5 hours....I've always had to pee way more frequently than anyone else I know, and I've been that way since I was a child...when I drink a cup of coffee, I need to go pee at least twice within an hour after that...in fact since I work with students and often the only adult in the room, I seriously watch what I drink and plan to go pee whenever I have someone else in the room to cover for me....I could NEVER drink the recommended amount of fluids without living in the bathroom

however my pee is always fairly clear and I don't feel dehydrated....I don't know if I just have a small or sensitive bladder but I seriously go pee once an hour or more All Day Long...and i'm not diabetic (isn't that a symptom?)
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #13  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

I've been trying to drink more water and it's actually rather difficult for me to reconcile bathroom use and job demands, haha. As a teacher, I can about every hour if I can make it in 5 minutes or less and no students stop me to "quickly" read their five paragraph essay over. However, I know I need to work this out because there are days where I realize I've had only a coffee in the morning and my lips are chapped from dehydration. Not good!

@Locke: on a random side note, I love your Blerch avatar!
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I never adjust to it. I work in education and need to visit a number of schools a day, involving lots of driving around the city. If I drink the the recommended 2 liters a day I am white knuckling it at red rights, madly hitting the buzzer to get in schools and then making a mad dash hoping I remember where the bathroom closest to the door is in each building. To handle that much water I'd have to always be a few steps from a bathroom.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
I never adjust to it. I work in education and need to visit a number of schools a day, involving lots of driving around the city. If I drink the the recommended 2 liters a day I am white knuckling it at red rights, madly hitting the buzzer to get in schools and then making a mad dash hoping I remember where the bathroom closest to the door is in each building. To handle that much water I'd have to always be a few steps from a bathroom.
Commuting is the biggest problem!