How can I have a thigh gap??

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • This is partially genetic issue, my friend is a size two and pretty toned and her thighs touch more than mine. My thighs are almost not touching anymore and I haven't even done a thing to focus on that.

I have to say, I noticed a difference once I started yoga but I am just warning you it may never happen.
  • You look great. I would say work for health and ideal body for your genetics and try not to obsess over what may not happen.

I've never had a thigh gap, even when I was fit as a kid. I've always had thick legs! I'll probably always see a gal (such as yourself) who has very shapely legs and want them. I'm not going to let myself be unhappy about my knock-knees and thick legs though! I want the legs I had when I was a bit younger - a bit thick, but toned and strong!
  • Don't worry too much about it, this gap is overrated. A lot of people I know say it looks weird. Some skinny girls don't even have it.
  • A lot of it's just the shape of your pelvis. If I stand with my feet together, my thighs don't touch till the top, and that was true while I was still overweight! It's because of my wide-hipped peasant ancestors. And you can't change your ancestors no matter what exercises you do. But you can have pretty great, strong legs! And maybe you don't have my thick calves, which are either thick with muscle or with fat. There's no thin option available for me. Genes!
  • It really is mostly genetics. You and I have similar body builds mine just currently has more fat on it but for me bigger or 110 my legs are the exact same shape as yours and I have never had one even at my smallest my mom has the same body shape but shorter and weighs 105 and none for her either and she bikes and runs daily. But sweet girl you look smoking so I hope you can enjoy all your hard work thus far!
  • I weight 162.5 and my thighs do not touch - - I think they may have touched at my heaviest of around 200 - - don't remember.

I have wide hips, and have had many issues with pinched nerves, sciatica, more visits to the chiropractor, physical therapist, accupuncturist than you can imagine - - -

Honestly, would prefer my thighs rub together if that meant a relief from pain.
  • Just saw a thing on FB about how so many pictures of thigh gap are photoshopped. It said that aim is now over, the new thing they are pushing is "bikini bridge" where bikini bottom hangs from hip bones with a gap over non evident belly. Anything to make normal looking women feel bad about their bodies.
  • 6 Pack abs, beautifully capped delts and round booties are something all women can achieve if we set our minds to getting our muscle mass high enough and our body fat low enough.

The thigh gap and its newcomer cousin the bikini bridge are not achievable for all women. It is possible to be very low body fat and fit and beautiful and not have a thigh gap because of narrow hip bones. Women with narrow hips and legs set close together will not have a gap unless they have very skinny legs; even at my thinnest as a track runner, my legs touched because I have narrow hips and thick thighs.

Thigh gap is something that either you will have, or you won't. Looking at your pictures I would say that you have an adorable figure to be proud of, but you probably won't have thigh gap unless you starve off all your pretty curves.

Just to illustrate what I'm trying to say, here's a picture of Olympian runner Lolo Jones. Incredibly fit, very low body fat, amazing abs, no thigh gap.

If that image doesn't work, I found it at http://www.chicagonow.com/get-fit-ch...ap-body-ideal/
  • Great photo HelloNurse! I'm also noticing that she doesn't have a bikini bridge. If this woman had been dead set on either the thigh gap or the bikini bridge, she's just flat out of luck. Like the rest of us who aren't genetically structured that way. I'm totally fine with that.
  • Quote: Thigh gap is about genetics... or being pretty underweight.

I don't remember where I read it but over the summer I read a peice about the thigh gap and how so many girls/young women were striving for it to the danger of their health.

It said that, except for in woman with a naturally wide pelvis structure, a thigh gap is only attainable when the person is thin enough that their body starts cannibalizing their muscles. Normal inner thigh muscles will prevent the thigh gap in most women.

^^ This.
  • Quote: Just saw a thing on FB about how so many pictures of thigh gap are photoshopped. It said that aim is now over, the new thing they are pushing is "bikini bridge" where bikini bottom hangs from hip bones with a gap over non evident belly. Anything to make normal looking women feel bad about their bodies.
    And who sets these "aims" anyway?? Who is they "they" that are pushing bikini bridges?? Feel sorry for all the young girls that fall victim to this...
  • ... and I respect everyone's preferences, but I find the whole thigh gap thing very unattractive. It looks malnourished and unhealthy to me, in my opinion.

• Basically, don't worry about it. 95% chance you don't have the body for it.
  • As someone who took a few biological and forensic anthropology courses in college, I've had some time to look at skeletal remains (as part of those courses), and I'm going to tell you right now: there is no way you can healthfully make yourself have a thigh gap. The only thing you can do is exercise, be healthy, and get down to the appropriate weight for your frame. If you have wide-set hips, you may get a thigh gap (also depending on your muscle mass). If you have narrow-set hips, it will be extremely difficult if not impossible.

My advice is: focus on loving you for you and accepting your body. If you aren't happy with yourself and your life as is, no amount of thigh gap will make you happy.
  • We have the body we have.

Tall, lean, lanky, or short and compact, pear, apple, big booty, thighs of steel, whatever.

It doesn't matter, it's what we have.

I have found it very interesting to observe all the different body shapes and types.

In reference to the OP, there is a gal who comes to my gym, who is about 5'0" and built like a brick s**t house. In way good shape, I'm talking, competition level, bikini, lifting shape. She has no thigh gap. But, she can do a 36" box jump!

I do have a bit of a thigh gap, but I wonder. Some genetics, maybe partly lifestyle, been riding horses and long as I can remember. Then had twins that were over 6#s each, that will stretch the ole pelvis.

For myself, my body is what it is, big ole long, manly arms, big bosom, it's ok.
    What amazes me is what it is capable of!