General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #16  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I'm big into eggs now too.

And oats.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

Default meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
I shop at budget places (Aldi, Asian grocery stores), eat as unprocessed as possible, eat a lot of soups, and eat little meat.

I just grocery shopped and batch cooked dishes last weekend to last me, my child, (and my boyfriend half the time) for at least the next two/maybe even three weeks.

I spent $88.

In my freezer I now have at least 50 portioned meals OR part of a meal from my Sunday cooking. I made white bean soup, spicy tomato soup, marinara sauce, turkey chili, meatloaf "muffins," stuffed pepper soup, chicken/squash nuggets, turkey/zucchini nuggets, and broccoli white bean soup.

Freezer cooking saves me so much money. I just make a list of ten dishes or so, and list out the ingredients I need. Then I spend one day cooking and that's that.

Pasta, frozen veggies, rice, dried beans, eggs, potatoes, and canned fish are really wonderful inexpensive staples to have on hand.

Budget Bytes is a good website to check out for ideas. I end up spending MUCH MUCH less than her because I discount shop, but you get the idea.

You are good. I wish I could be that disciplined.

PS everyone is talking about Aldi ..... I love Aldi. They have good food in there and I like how now they have their "Fit and Healthy" foods.

My favorite 2 things in Aldi are
They have a trail mix that comes in a plastic jar. One has a red top and the other has a black top. I only get the black top one. It's the best.

And my second thing it and I know this is bad but I like it.
Sausage egg cheese biscuits. SMH 500 calories. most times I take out the egg. But it's just like McDonalds
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #18  

Build your meals around cheap grains/carbs: Potatoes, rice, pasta

Add a seasonal or frozen vegetable. Right now cauliflower, brusselsprouts, cabbage, and broccoli are cheap.

Add a cheap source of protein: chicken thighs, hamburger, tuna, hot dogs, etc.

Add sauces and seasonings. Marinara sauce, bbq, butter, sour cream, vinegar, herbs, spices are all stuff you can use.

Stay away from super cheap processed food. It is laden with sodium and calories.

Oatmeal is a cheap item for breakfast. Milk and eggs are also cheap. Shop several stores if you can and stock up during sales.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #19  
Food and Wine Lover

S/C/G: Goal Weight: 125

Height: 5'3"

There's a website called the Hillbilly Housewife. She has great recipes and tips on being super frugal.

When money is tight, I just buy what's on sale and figure it out from there. Last week it was pork chops and whole chicken. I'm also lucky enough to have access to a wonderful fruit/veggie store where I can get a week's worth of fresh fruits and veggies for $30 for 2 people. We also eat what's in season, like...for example, here in Canada, I wouldn't buy strawberries because they are $5 a pint, imported from the States, by the time we get them they're good for a day unfortunately. So we eat lots of root veggies and apples in the winter.

We're also starting the fasting 2-3 times a week, and we go through a lot less food that way.
Chardonnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2feelbetter View Post
You are good. I wish I could be that disciplined.

PS everyone is talking about Aldi ..... I love Aldi. They have good food in there and I like how now they have their "Fit and Healthy" foods.

My favorite 2 things in Aldi are
They have a trail mix that comes in a plastic jar. One has a red top and the other has a black top. I only get the black top one. It's the best.

And my second thing it and I know this is bad but I like it.
Sausage egg cheese biscuits. SMH 500 calories. most times I take out the egg. But it's just like McDonalds
No need to go nuts like I do, but just making one extra dish once a week and portioning it for the freezer can help.

FYI - Aldi does sell fit and active turkey sausage and Canadian bacon breakfast sandwiches in the freezer.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote