General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 315.8/ 311.6/ 200

Height: 5'8"

Default Diets??

Hi all

What is the new trend out there for weight loss? New diets?

What is working best for those with good results?

Joe
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Hi Joe

There are all sorts of "fad" and "trend" diets out there...but I find the best ones are the ones that work for you. Check out some of the different diet forums (Intermittent Fasting, Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, Calorie Counting...there are tons of specific forums which will have more tailored information about them in the stickies), and see if your lifestyle could fit into it. You don't want to adhere to a diet that doesn't fit with your everyday life, otherwise it can cause you to get a rebellious attitude against dieting, which leads to binging/overeating or "falling off the wagon" and giving up.

For example, I love delicious food, and all different types of food. I started with Weight Watchers, which advocates you can eat the kinds of food you want (just not how much you want), and still lose weight. It worked for me for a while, and taught me valuable information. When I started stalling more frequently, I wanted to see where I was going wrong and switched to calorie counting, which is the same as Weight Watchers where I can eat what I like, just not in huge amounts. I still take some of the information I learned from Weight Watchers and apply it to calorie counting, I'm just accountable for everything I eat (Weight Watchers has "free" fruits and veggies up to 5 servings).
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #3  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I've tried probably most of the "diets" out there, WW, Atkins, calorie counting, 5:2, juice fasting, eating whole foods, eating more fruits and veggies and basically incorporate something from each of those plans into what works for me.

So I'm following an exercise program and tweaking it as I go along, if it takes too long I quit, so I have to keep that in mind, and do a juice and/or fruit/veggie day about twice a week, have cut down on red meat, but still eat it a few times a week, try to eat whole rather than processed foods when I can, I am more strict during the week and allow for 'treats' on the weekend so I don't feel like there's anything I'm never going to indulge in again and try and drink 60 oz. of water a day.

So, if you're just starting out, a big help will be to journal or track what you're doing so you'll have some "data" to look at later to see what is working for you and what doesn't. I also highly recommend taking your measurements, especially if you don't want to, it will be a great marker of progress at times when the scale doesn't seem to be moving.

There's also a "men's forum", besides the ones mentioned above, keep your mind open try not to limit yourself to one strict plan, although I'll put the caveat out there, it may be helpful to some to be extra strict in the beginning. A person I work with has started out just having WW meals for her every meal, she doesn't like to cook and has just started making herself a sandwich once in awhile, it works for her, she's lost 15 lbs. so far.

best of luck to you, most of all don't quit
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote