General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/175/140

Height: 5'4

Default Cutting Out Dairy

I have read good and bad things about dairy and weight loss. I have tried to eat low fat dairy but some plans recommend cutting it out completely.
My snacks are pretty much all dairy -- cheese snacks, yogurt, cottage cheese.
So if I was or if you have cut out dairy as part of your program, what are you eating for your snacks? I am not sure what I would replace them with.
And if you have cut dairy, has it helped?
Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I actually almost completely cut dairy when I first started losing weight and then a few years later, I cut it completely. It has probably been 6 years or so since I had dairy.

I don't eat a lot of snacks these days but past snacks were things like:

Hummus with veggies (celery, carrots, red bell pepper slices, etc)
A piece of fruit with a few nuts (usually almonds, pecans or walnuts)
A fruit/veggie smoothie
Veggie sushi

Now I do use soy or almond milk sometimes, especially with my smoothies.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 302/270/180

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up Diary Free Diet - NOT by choice :(

Hello

I am now a dairy free zone due to Psoriatic Arthritis - also the reason I have to lose weight. I eat no cheese, butter, yoghurt or cream. Through trial and error I have discovered I am OK with a very small amount (50ml a day max) of Skimmed Milk, which I have in my coffee in the morning.

As for snacks I have a LOT of fruit, at least 5 portions a day, popped snacks, 99 cals a bag from Morrisons, cereal bars, both the 220cal Jordan ones for after swimming and the 79 cal ones for mid morning/afternoon snacks. I was advised to try sunflower/pumpkin seeds, however I didn't find them the least bit satisfying and discovered I'd chomped through 500 cals before I'd even realised it! Eeek.

I use vitalite on my toast in the morning with Stute diabetic jam. Usually have fruit and cereal bar for lunch and Rocket and Beet Salad with meat or fish and New potatoes for tea with 300-400 cals of snacks throughout the day. I'm a natural grazer so it's better for me to snack and have little meals. Hope this helps!
kaijazz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #4  
it's always something

I've been dairy free for a long time and I don't miss it. I did at first, I had a hard time giving up goat cheese and maybe a few other cheeses. I feel better when I don't consume dairy.

I snack on fruit, especially blueberries or cherries. Sometimes I eat a bowl of spinach as a snack Though they aren't really snacks, they are just part of my daily meal plan that I spread out through the day.

Does it help? I think it does in my case. I'm choosing foods that pack more nutrition than dairy, so I feel better and have more energy. This helps me stay on my path and not make bad choices. There's nothing in dairy that I can't get from other sources, including calcium.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 168/168/120

Height: 5 ft 4

I have massively reduced my dairy consumption just to stop my skin freaking out! It's helped spot wise but I haven't known much of an effect on my weight. Maybe that will change as time goes on, I do feel less sluggish though so maybe there's some sort of link?!
SarahLouise92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I think it all depends upon your body's makeup. I would love to snack on a reasonable amount of fruit but I gain weight with that. I actually lose weight with dairy.

I think it depends if your body is better with protein than carbs. I am super carb sensitive and need a lot of protein.
I think that is why the studies on dairy and weight loss have such varied results.
But that said, like several other posters, I have to limit the dairy I take for other reasons. I get sinus infections from it. I can handle a couple of TBSP per day that I use in cooking.

If I could eat Greek yogurt I'd be in dieters heaven.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote