General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Default IF Questions...

Hey guys!

I wanted to ask you guys some questions about IF. I've started doing it (at least I think?) fast 16hours/ eat 8 (I eat at 9 stop eating at 5pm)

1) Am I allowed to eat anything during this window?? I know I should be eating healthy, but as long as it was 1300 cals would that be ok? I'm eating low carb, high protein at the moment, and I like it, but I was just curious.

2) Is the bullet proof coffee a necessity? I'm a college student and I don't like to spend money on extra things (If I can help it of course) but that's why I was wondering.

3) Is this a diet most people use to gain muscle? Everytime I google it, I see photos of ripped girls and guys!

I was doing what I thought was IF (as described above) and I got down to 168 but then again broke it during the weekend and I'm back at 170. I can't tell if I'm holding water or it's because I messed up the "flow" I had going on. I hope these aren't stupid questions, I feel really clueless about IF!

Anyway, if anyone has any advice I would love to hear it! I have been feeling a bit lost since I don't know if I'm approaching the diet properly.

Thanks!!
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #2  

anyone?!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Hello! I'm not a pure IFer, but follow some basic guidelines from it that have helped. I'll do my best to answer what I can, and maybe someone with more knowledge can come correct me if I'm wrong

1) 1300 calories should be fine! I'd say as long as you're still in a deficit, you shouldn't have any problem with this one. IF is designed to give you a more satisfied full feeling when you do eat, instead of frequent grazing which doesn't really give that "oh wow I'm full" feeling. You're eating the same amount of calories that someone else would eat over the course of a longer period of time.

2) I've never used the bulletproof coffee (actually I hadn't heard about it till now, and had to google it lol!), so I don't think it's 100% necessary. Regular coffee does have a slight appetite suppressant, so if you wanted to hold off your hunger for a little while longer, I'd imagine that's a good way to use it. This questions is probably better for someone who knows more about the IF system then I do To me, it just kinda sounds like a marketing scheme, but I could be wrong!

3) This diet can be for anyone! If you like to experience that full feeling when you eat, I think this would be good...same if you just don't like that almost-but-not-quite-full feeling of eating multiple times throughout the day over a longer period of time. The issue that some people run into is the hungry feeling...you will feel it, and it can be uncomfortable at the start. Drinking water helps (and like the previous question, coffee can help too, but in moderation). But the uncomfortable feeling does go away, and after a while you realize that it's okay to sometimes feel a little hungry now and then (I've noticed it helped me recognize thirst more).

Unless you ate multiple thousands of calories over what you're supposed to, I doubt what you gained is fat, and is probably just water retention or hormones. You'll probably see it come off in no time! Hope this helps!
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #4  

Thanks Buffin!!

Funny I was reading your sig and I'm dying to get to 160 which is my high graduation weight!! Have you been losing weight doing IF? You're doing great!!

Is there a way to know what my defecit should be? I kinda just picked 1300 since everyone says 1200 is too low, and 1300 was comfortable (if I'm eating healthy that is)

Thanks again!! I need to get a good 16hr window of fasting in soon!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhm6 View Post
Thanks Buffin!!

Funny I was reading your sig and I'm dying to get to 160 which is my high graduation weight!! Have you been losing weight doing IF? You're doing great!!

Is there a way to know what my defecit should be? I kinda just picked 1300 since everyone says 1200 is too low, and 1300 was comfortable (if I'm eating healthy that is)

Thanks again!! I need to get a good 16hr window of fasting in soon!
IF isn't really a diet by itself, it's more of a boundaries/guideline setting than anything else. I use it along with calorie counting (which seems to work the best for me), but it can be adapted to any diet plan. I generally am not hungry when I wake up, so I usually just drink water or coffee to start my day, and will eat between 1pm and 1am at the latest (although I've been testing with 11pm)...I am a night own though and stay up frequently till 3-4am.

To find my deficit, I really just googled "how many calories should I be eating to lose weight?" and it came up with a bunch of sites that have calculators to help you diagnose your calorie intake. It's probably best to see a doctor to get that type of information, I'm sure, but right now I'm uninsured and can't afford it.

1200 is the lowest calories you should eat without medical supervision to ensure you're getting all your necessary nutrients, but I lead a very very very sedentary lifestyle most of the week (even more sedentary than the average sedentary person >.<), and I will generally eat between 900-1200 calories. Eating the healthier foods can help you feel fuller on smaller calorie allotments. I also take a multi-vitamin and try to incorporate things like almonds, yogurt, etc. to get more of the healthier nutrients in (I do also eat stuff that may not be as healthy...I post my food journal on my blog so I can't lie about that )

Like I said though, I'm not a pure IFer...there are times I do eat outside of the window I posted, and I don't beat myself up over it. As long as my calories are okay, that's really the important thing. I just find IF to help give me that "yay my tummy is full!" feeling so I don't feel the urge to eat as often.
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #6  
Trimming the fat

S/C/G: 163/163/120

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhm6 View Post
Hey guys!

I wanted to ask you guys some questions about IF. I've started doing it (at least I think?) fast 16hours/ eat 8 (I eat at 9 stop eating at 5pm)

1) Am I allowed to eat anything during this window?? I know I should be eating healthy, but as long as it was 1300 cals would that be ok? I'm eating low carb, high protein at the moment, and I like it, but I was just curious.

2) Is the bullet proof coffee a necessity? I'm a college student and I don't like to spend money on extra things (If I can help it of course) but that's why I was wondering.

3) Is this a diet most people use to gain muscle? Everytime I google it, I see photos of ripped girls and guys!

I was doing what I thought was IF (as described above) and I got down to 168 but then again broke it during the weekend and I'm back at 170. I can't tell if I'm holding water or it's because I messed up the "flow" I had going on. I hope these aren't stupid questions, I feel really clueless about IF!

Anyway, if anyone has any advice I would love to hear it! I have been feeling a bit lost since I don't know if I'm approaching the diet properly.

Thanks!!
1) From my understanding, there are a few different variations on the windows. My eating window is 3pm-8pm... that's based off trial and error for what works best for myself. Which seems to be the general basis of IF... what works on an individual level. I base my caloric intake roughly on calculators, then trial and error.

2) Bullet proof coffee? That's up to you. I hadn't heard of it til now when I had to google it.

3) It's not really a "diet". It's more a tool for controlling ones food intake. And, anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure of any muscle bound benefits of just changing the eating time frame. That is more about WHAT you're eating along with the type of training utilized.
LadyWraith is offline   Reply With Quote