General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #1  

Default Billions of dollars spent on yo yo diet plans

I am fascinated by all these new diet plans. I was watching a program called the Weight of the Nation. Overweight consumers are spending billions a year on all of these new diet plans, many of them that eliminate certain foods while bulking up on others. The no carb diet, the Paleo diet, the Ideal Protein diet, the carb only diet, the grapefruit diet, the books and oh the endless books on how to lose a pound according to the author--(without getting hungry)--LOL.

When all weight loss is---is EAT LESS--MOVE MORE. And oh BTW, if you're accustomed to eating 3000 plus calories a day and you cut those calories to less than half to reach you're goal weight, you will get hungry. There's no avoiding it, there is no magic pill that will stop it. It's sheer determination that gets you thru this until your brain and your stomach get used to it's new daily caloric consumption.

These endless "diet" plans have resulted in the overweight individual getting fatter. Why? Because our genetics require carbs, we require protein, and yes we require some fat and sugar. We have been eating these things for a couple of centuries now and too eliminate them say's that when we hit our goal weight and start to eat banned food, we will gain back that weight twice as fast as we lost it, plus 15 or 20 pounds.

Back in the 1950's we ate potatoes, fruits, vegetables, bread and meat, and sugar. There weren't even diet drinks back then. In the 1950's it was hard to find someone that was overweight. Why? Because they didn't stuff themselves full of potatoes, bread and meat. Cake & ice cream was for birthdays. Snacking really wasn't a habit, or something that the average person did.

The portion sizes have tripled in size since then. I am not just talking fast food either. You go into most restaurants today, and you're going to get a serving that could easily feed two to three people. If you have an appetizer and desert along with it, you've probably consumed enough calories to last for two days.

And now you can see the difference in portion sizes of today from the 1950's and it's fairly easy to see what has happened to American waist lines.

Last edited by Kscott; 05-22-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #2  
LRH

S/C/G: 152/132/127

Height: 5'5"

A good visual to see what has happened to portion sizes is to look at dishes/plates from the 1950-1960's. I found a platter my mother used to use back when I was a kid. Today, that platter would be considered a dinner plate. Quite eye-opening.
LRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #3  
maintaining since 9/2013

This is a great visual! However, it's all well and good to postulate why we became overweight. Many people, self included, are dealing with insulin resistance and neurochemical changes in our addicted brains as a result of that way of eating. Being told to eat less when I'm hungry 24/7 is not effective. Moving more, imho, helps with preventing weight gain and maintaining weight loss. Not so much with losing the weight, at least for me.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote