General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/205/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Weight loss clinic diets- oh jeez!

Today I bit the bullet- I have an intake appointment at a therapist about my BPD (so nervous!) and a consultation at a weight loss clinic (even more nervous!!)

I was on the clinic's website and it seems like they support a lot of 'fad' dieting, such as HCG, Optifast, and Ideal Protein. I'm not saying that they don't work, but I'm kind of leery at dropping $400+ a month on a diet when I could be spending that much on vegetables and chicken!

What kind of diets have they put you on, recommended, or such? I'm interested in the phentermine and lipotropic injections, but those are 20 a month, not 400! Sheesh!

No wonder I never went to one of those things
halo104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Hmm...I've never been to a weight loss clinic, but if you're not into those particular types of diets (especially if it really won't fit your lifestyle...it's very important that the diet works with you, not against you. Nothing makes me rebel more than someone telling me I can't eat something), perhaps talk to the dietician about some other weight loss methods they may have. Perhaps even just a healthy food guideline, maybe a calorie limit, etc.

I, too, have read wonderful things about the diets that clinic seems to offer, but $400 a month is a lot of money. If you can't afford that, I'd say be up front and honest and see if there is anything else the dietician can do.
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #3  

I'm hoping I can just talk to them about coaching for a normal low-carb diet, but I'm really uncomfortable with low cal and low fat diets. The thought of someone analyzing my weight and all of these other things are super uncomfortable as it is, I don't think I have the nerve to walk in there and say I don't feel comfortable with their diets and want something completely different!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

I go to my doctor's weight loss clinic and do a program called HMR. It costs $240/month in doctor fees and medical tests, plus about $80-$90 a week for food.

Let me tell you, it's WORTH IT! I've lost almost 50 lbs since February 13th, when I started. I am losing 2 or 3 lbs every week. Heavier people are losing much more. One guy in my class has lost over 70 lbs in the same time period.

If someone told you they could wave a magic wand and you'd lose 10-15 lbs a month, but it would cost $400, would you do it? I bet you'd feel like you got your money\s worth 6 months and 60+ lbs from now!

If is for everyone? No. Is it expensive? Yes! But if you can stick to the diet and you can afford it, I think it's worth doing!
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #5  

Believe me, if I had 400 bucks to blow a month, I definitely would I don't even have health insurance right now! I'm really upset because I'm currently looking for a job, but I NEED to lose weight sooo bad. My consultation is free, so the doctor and I are going to discuss options. I know he mention something about phentermine and lipotronic injections which are 80 a month. Ohh sometimes weightloss is very confusing :/
Old 06-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Honestly, weight loss clinics are largely a scam. Especially ones that do B-12 (lipotropic) injections and HCG. You can go to a normal doctor or even order a home testing kit to see if you are low in B-12. If you aren't low in B-12, it makes no sense to get injections. You can do sublingual drops if you are worried about your B-12 levels. Very young people are low in B-12 as it is something that most people get plenty through their diets and don't have malabsorption issues. If you are over 70, then B-12 would be a concern.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #7  

They tried telling my HCG was a good diet, but I'm not comfortable with such a restricted diet. I am considering the L-carnitine injections, only because they do so much good for the body even without weight loss, and I feel that dieters can certainly be deficient in something so important.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this whole thing- the staff there were sincere and so kind and helpful and they make me want to go back and buy EVERYTHING! I also like how they have the Walden Farms dressings there, I have been dying to try them
Old 06-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I don't mean to be a downer but again, unless you have a genetic disorder and have been tested, l-carnitine is something your body can produce as well as something you can get through food. Also, recent research may indicate it is linked to heart disease. I'd avoid any l-carnitine supplement unless you know you have a genetic disorder in which you can't make it.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryhus...-to-carnitine/
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote