General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #1  
Banish Fluffy!

S/C/G: 196/196/145

Height: 5'3"

Talking 17 Day Diet Support Thread

Hey all!

17 day Diet = 4 cycles each 17 days
Written by Dr. Mike Moreno
This is a synopsis written on his site:

“If you need to shed pounds fast and in a safe and effective way, this book is for you! Unlike many diet programs that starve you down to size, Dr. Mike Moreno’s 17 Day Diet relies on proven methods to help you take the weight off and keep it off. His revolutionary program adjusts your body metabolically so that you burn fat, day in and day out. Each 17 day Cycle “Accelerate, Activate, Achieve and Arrive” changes your calorie count and the foods you eat. This variation that Dr. Mike coined as “body confusion” keeps your metabolism guessing, and you can expect to lose up to 10 to 12 pounds in the first 17 days! As an added bonus, the 17 Day Diet includes sample meal plans and a recipe section filled with tasty, easy and healthy food options. Whether you need to lose those last 10 pounds or drop 10 dress sizes, the 17 Day Diet is the perfect jump-start to a healthier, thinner you!”

Cycle 1 Accelerate = cleans up your act for 17 days you eat lean protein (white meat only), detoxifying vegetables and low sugar fruit. There are also 2 servings of Probiotics daily, and green tea throughout the day.

Cycle 2 Activate = Cycle 2 is to create body confusion or to “Activate” fat burning mode by basically calorie shifting to keep the metabolism guessing. Red meat is added back in and some carbs as well.

Cycle 3 Achieve = Decreasing Protein to introduce some more carbs and portion control & healthy habits are key here as well.
Cycle 4 Arrive = Maintenance

The diet is straight forward – Get the book, read the book

Please post achievements, struggles, and recipes!!

I wanted somewhere to go to post everything in conjunction with this diet for support.

I basically see this as a common sense diet – The Dr. has his own website with videos answering questions that have been asked, and very commons sense answers.
The book is easy to read and makes sense with out CRAZY ingredients that have to be special ordered. Everything can be found at your local food stand and grocery.

We can do it!

I am starting out at 196 - Where are you starting?

17 days at a time!
CMLloyd2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #2  
Banish Fluffy!

I am going shopping On Monday ( I will be out of town this weekend) but will adhere as best I can while roughing it in the RV life. We will have some chicken and veggies. I am going to stop and see if Vitamin Shoppe has probiotic in the pill form b/c I hesitate taking yogurt in the RV just in case the fridge goes kaput.
I will take my fruit (2x per day low sugar: apples, red grapes are approved) and bring some sliced raw veggies for snacking. Meals are spaced out when racing so snacking is inevitable. But my official start date will be Monday counting my 17 days. I want to give an honest go and do my measurements as well.

Oh yes and exercising 17 minutes per day (walking, light lifting - easy does it on the 1st cycle because of the low carbs for right now)

Last edited by CMLloyd2010; 05-31-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #3  
Banish Fluffy!

This weekend went fairly well - I did walk and walk the bleachers every day while gone.
Today is the official start day for me on 17 day diet.
1/2 Grape fruit
2 eggs (2 yolks counts towards my 4 yolks for the week)
2oz chicken
and parmesan cheese
Just scrambles the eggs and chicken together placed them over parmesan.
Sprinkled some truvia over grapefruit.
Really a great start to the day if I don't minds saying so.
This weekend really wore me out - it was 2 days of racing and they were both HOT HOT HOT.
Yesterday hubs made it down to 8 cars and it started to rain. So they all split the pot. Then we had a major down-pour and thunder and lightening. We were able to get all packed up and home safe by 9pm.
My son's graduation is this week and we have a pool party on Saturday - cake and all. I will stay calm and carry on, I will freeze a piece of that cake for a later day when I'm allowed to have it on the 17 day diet.

Okay- I am off to the grocery store and local veggie stand for some goods.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #4  
Banish Fluffy!

Good morning all!

So far so good - I can feel my water weight going away i won't weigh in until next monday which will be 7 days.
Then only 10 more to go on the first cycle.
I went walking yesterday @ 2.5 miles.

Menu for yesterday:
B- egg white & spinach omelet w/ veggie cheese slice & parmesan
Probiotic supplement
L - Salad w/ranch (they didn't have any better alternatives as far as dressing goes)
s - yogurt w/ blueberries and polaner SF fruite preserves
D - baked chicken thigh and breast tenderloin w/ asparagus & tomato

No snack after dinner I had some Green tea.

There is a lot of preparation in this diet but, I believe it was the easy and fast food that helped get me this way so I will stick with this. It's not so hard if you just get up and do it.

I am a Phlebotomist hopeful - I can practice phlebotomy now in the State of VA with out my official certification, but I want to be certified so I am waiting on my clinical assignment to get in all of my draws and sticks and time in to be able to apply to sit for my boards and be certified. They said it should be next week, but I have yet to hear from them as to when my schedule in regular life will be shot to ****.
I will just have to plan things out a little better as far as the diet goes lol.
Have a great day!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #5  
Banish Fluffy!

So yesterday was a pretty good day!

I even went out to dinner and managed to avoid the $4 rum runner, and the $1 shots at happy hour. I had a salad and
Rock Fish with spinach and steamed veggies with an unsweetend iced tea. The rock fish was soooooo good.

Anywho.

I have been keeping it within the lines of the 17 day diet and it seems to be working well. I can already feel my insides doing some good things.
I cannot resist getting on the scale and I know this will only get better so I will not update till Monday on my weight status, but I must say I am very happy with the downward motion so far. I figure 7 days my body will start to slow things down which is why I don't want to post anything as of right now.

Today I had some Kefir for breakfast with blue berries and frozen strawberries, very tasty!
For Lunch I have Chicken Chooped up and a veggie slice with Spinach.
Snack will be a Bosc Pear
Dinner - I have decided to have Salmon and some grilled peppers and onions and fix hubs some crab cakes.

He has not quite gotten on the "diet" band wagon, but I will not give in - I only have 14 more days
2 weeks in this cycle, by then it should be a habit!

Last edited by CMLloyd2010; 06-06-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #6  
Banish Fluffy!

Talking 193 down 3

Today was weigh in day (considering all of my bloating ATM and mother nature is a fine lady)

I am down 3 pounds from 196 -> 193

Yes I have had some things not on plan. I have not beat myself up. I am taking it one day at a time. as I start feeling better the less I want the bad stuff. Okay who am I kidding, it still smells good when cooking, and most of the time it looks good too. I just have to be honest with myself and those around me and keep picking the good things

Today has been hard because I drove my son to meet the advisors at college (community college for now) and it was just a stressful day with PMS hangin around and bloating and being a UKNOWWHAT. I am going to settl down and take and advil and read for a few. Son is at work, hubs in the garage and it is raining cats and dogs. Oh yeah and there is a tornado warning here till 10pm.

My son graduated Friday evening we had a party Saturday where the food was nibbles and hand foods. It's okay - just one hurdle. (I missed not too badly)

So back on the wagon.
Down 3. YAY! I want -3 more this week that's my goal.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #7  

I just wanted to pop in and give you some encouragement. I'm sorry no one has joined your thread yet. A while back there was another thread devoted to the 17DD, and there were a few people following it, but it faded out.

I tried the 17DD for about a week or so in June 2011. I had been fat for years and just had no motivation to start. I knew I needed something that would help me see some quick results so that I could get motivated again. I read the 17DD book, and gave it a shot. I remember it being extremely easy. It's restrictive, but the thing is, there was no "negotiating" as there is with calorie counting. I knew I could only eat certain foods, I bought just those foods, and it was quite convenient. I didn't weigh myself, but after just one week, my pants were a little looser, so I'm sure that I lost at least 5 lbs. That little boost gave me the motivation to start calorie counting, and from that point, I got back on the bandwagon.

I would love to give the 17DD another go because I have about 5 lbs. I would like to lose, but I have two concerns: I'm worried that if I lose the 5 lbs. and go back to eating my usual maintenance calories (2200 per day) I'll gain it all back. (Maybe gradually adding in calories each day would prevent that). Also, --and I admit this concern seems paranoid and like an old wive's tale---I'm somewhat concerned that going lower carb for even a few weeks will somehow screw with my metabolism and lead to me not being able to eat as much as I do now to maintain. ETA: I don't want to stay on the 17DD (even the maintenance phase) because calorie counting seems to work well for me for maintenance.

Last edited by lin43; 06-11-2013 at 06:27 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #8  
Banish Fluffy!

lin43 Thanks for peaking in!
I was doing the 17DD about a year ago in a round about way following the Primal blueprint, which is almost paleo. I do not have a gallbladder so being able to have the yogurt really helps. As far as calorie counting goes, you must be way organized!!
I do know that what I am eating is way below what I should be eating daily as far as calories go, but i eat till I am not hungry and then stop. I have been eating a lot of salads but am afraid I will burn out on them after a while.
My BIG weakness is lunch time, I just want something quick and easy and light, and not heated. So I eat a salad, but what I really want is to stop at chick fila and get a chicken wrap. I will wrap my head around it one day lol.
In the mean time I will keep try and keep to the ways of the 17DD it seems to be working and I feel better than I did before.
I have also been taking the probiotics as well and they have been helping too.

What program or book do you use to count?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMLloyd2010 View Post
What program or book do you use to count?
I use Calorie Count app by fatsecret. I tried My Fitness Pal, but I just don't like it as much as Calorie Count.

How are you doing on your diet? How much have you lost so far?
Old 06-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #10  
Banish Fluffy!

I have been making progress, as little as it may be. Its hard for me to adhere to a certain diet, but with this one I can put emphasis on getting in my probiotics/greens and lean protein.
I have lost 3 lbs so far. I weight in every monday.
This last week has been very busy and the dieting has slipped a little.
I had my son graduate, and had a party for him.
We are racing this weekend so I have been running around after work trying to get the RV packed and ready. I will not divulge what we had last night.

I was asking what you were using b/c I have been keeping my calories with an app called my diet diary by Med Help. That way I have a guide as to what I'm eating and where I'm getting the most of my calories from when I'm losing.

So yesterday even dinner being what it was I was still within a range of maintenance caloric intake.
I have also been trying to at least go walking every other day for at least 30 minutes. After that I do 5 minutes worth of abs....45 seconds of ab work 30 seconds rest. 45 seconds doesn't sound like much, but you do abs constantly for 45 seconds, rest 30 then 45 sec etc for 5 minutes and then tell me how ya feel. I know my abs will thank me.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMLloyd2010 View Post
I have been making progress, as little as it may be. Its hard for me to adhere to a certain diet, but with this one I can put emphasis on getting in my probiotics/greens and lean protein.
I have lost 3 lbs so far. I weight in every monday.
This last week has been very busy and the dieting has slipped a little.
I had my son graduate, and had a party for him.
We are racing this weekend so I have been running around after work trying to get the RV packed and ready. I will not divulge what we had last night.

I was asking what you were using b/c I have been keeping my calories with an app called my diet diary by Med Help. That way I have a guide as to what I'm eating and where I'm getting the most of my calories from when I'm losing.

So yesterday even dinner being what it was I was still within a range of maintenance caloric intake.
I have also been trying to at least go walking every other day for at least 30 minutes. After that I do 5 minutes worth of abs....45 seconds of ab work 30 seconds rest. 45 seconds doesn't sound like much, but you do abs constantly for 45 seconds, rest 30 then 45 sec etc for 5 minutes and then tell me how ya feel. I know my abs will thank me.
Progress is progress, CMLloyd! Congrats on what you've lost so far!
Old 06-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #12  
Banish Fluffy!

I have been trying for days to update. But I have been sick. And it would be TMI to let you know what's been going on. Today would mark the official 17 day but what I am going to do is I'm going to try the whole firstcycle over again. I am down to 192. Which is a total of four pounds lost. I have had a lot going on in the last couple of weeks.so losing 4 pounds is actually a big deal to me. I will continue to walk I am goingstart the first cycle over again.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #13  
Banish Fluffy!

Monday will be Day 1
I am continuing to watch what I eat so, not this isn't like a restart I want to officially start counting on Monday.
I have been having the same things allowed on the first cycle, so there won't be any shock to the system.
I will start each post with what day it is and be sure to record my menus so others can follow.
I do recommend buying and reading the book.