General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #1  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

Default Fasting blood glucose 94- should I be concerned?

For a nutrition class at my school I had my blood sugar levels and cholesterol checked along with BF % and a few other things... Anyway- my fasting blood sugar was 94 and while I read that thats in the "normal" range... I would really like to be closer to the low end of normal...

I have a history of eating disorders.... Bulimia and binge-eating. But no family history of diabetes. "Googleing" blood sugar 94 may have been a bad idea- it has convinced me that I am in serious danger of becoming diabetic...

Does anyone have thoughts or advice? Maybe a little knowledge on how eating disorders might contribute to diabetes?? Am I just being silly?

I generally eat pretty healthy- rotating between 1300-2000 calories per day ad about 120-170g carbs... but about every 7-10 days i go insane and completely overload on sugar... to the point where i am shaky and sweating sometimes... maybe (hopefully) this can be enough to scare me straight...

Thank you in advance.
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/start IP 159.8/134.8/130

Height: 5'3"

My husband is diabetic and I had gestational diabetes, i was told anything over 100 was a concern. Did you have it tested just that once? Was it based on an A1C test or just a finger prick test that morning. That would make a difference.

Last edited by Happymomof2; 05-22-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Happymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happymomof2 View Post
i was told anything over 100 was a concern.
This is what I heard too and even then, it just means they would look closer at your diet and you could make changes to reverse it.

Don't worry yet! (says the queen of googling her symptoms and probably put herself dead and buried about 3000 times in her life...)

Last edited by elvislover324; 05-22-2013 at 07:53 PM.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #4  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Nothing to be concerned about... But you could always have an HbA1c done to give you and idea of what you're blood sugars have been averaging the last 3 months or so.... But I highly doubt any doctor would order one for you unless you had fasting blood sugars running above 100... But you can buy them OTC and do one yourself....

But my advice would be not to do that... Because you'll probably just make yourself crazy.... Talk to your doctor and see what they have to say...

My blood sugars run in the "normal" range and I too wanted them to be on the lower side of normal... So I started overly restricting carbs, intermittent fasting, and running in a "fasted" state... And my fasting blood sugars dropped from around averages between high 80's to mid 90's to the low 70's... and sometimes as low as the high 60's.... But my running really suffered for it.... And I also was really focusing too much on the "numbers".... Which for me turned out to ultimately be counter-productive...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #5  

We aren't the only ones! I had this in my pinterest funny folder. Thought you'd like it!

elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #6  

Danzingurl, I am in the same boat. Although not diabetic, I bought a glucometer just to track my blood sugars (it does run in the fam). My morning blood sugar is consistently about 94. That drives me nuts because I usually keep my net carbs under about 50-60 per day and my calories between 1500-2000. My A1c has been 5.5 for awhile. I can't seem to lose any more weight. I've tried to get my doc to prescribe Metformin for me but he won't, based upon my lab values. I understand Metformin can help you lose weight. I may have to try another doctor.
rgr8e is offline   Reply With Quote