Nutritionist

• I've been thinking about going to a nutritionist however I am not sure what they will be able to do for me? Has anyone gone to a nutritionist? Can you give me some insight. I checked with my insurance and they do not cover it. They will only cover it if I were to have Diabetis. Sounds goofy to me why wait why dint they cover a niutritionist to prevent me from getting diabetis.
  • I haven't been to a nutritionist, but I have been to a registered dietician (in Ontario, Canada dieticians are a regulated group,whereas anyone can call themselves a "nutritionist") who was very helpful. She wasn't trying to sell me anything (except her time) - no potions or powders and she understands how food works and how people have different cravings and how we all like different things. I don't know where you are, but if there are registered dieticians in your area, I would recommend one. They will have to do a food journal for a little while (don't tell any untruths!) and will look at it and help identify issues. For me, I wasn't eating enough protein at breakfast and the end result was that I would eat junk in the afternoon because I was HUNGRY! Now, I eat at least 14 grams of protein for breakfast and I don't generally want afternoon junk (but there are still those days....!!). She also noticed that I'm all about taste - I like lots of flavour, and I eat lots of different things and made some lower-calorie, higher nutrient suggestions. Your insurance company may cover a registered dietician if there is such a thing where you live (my insurance company covered the dietician but they won't cover a nutritionist - I'm guessing due to the registered status...like they won't cover a massage unless it's by a registered massage therapist, or physiotherapy unless the person is registered). Good luck....even if your insurance doesn't cover it, I think it's money well spent to get a new pair of eyes to look at your food intake and lead you in a better direction. Now, if only I did everything I was supposed to, I would be a size 12...alas I am not but I'm working on it again
  • Thank you for your reply 2annabelle I live in CA and I will take into consideration what you just told me. I would like to be aboe to go with someone whi can give me a plan of what to eat. I know its all about preparing or planning ahead of time. Normally when I start my healthy eating habits I get bored after a couple days because I keep eating the same plain unflavored things. I will call my insurance and see if they cover a registered dietician. Thanks again for the info.. And if you dont mind me asking what did you incorporate to your breakfast to add 14grams of protein?